Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Wikipedia posted:

The Zodiac Killer was a serial killer who operated in northern California in the late 1960s and early 1970s. The killer's identity remains unknown. ....... Four men and three women between the ages of 16 and 29 were targeted. The killer originated the name "Zodiac" in a series of taunting letters sent to the local Bay Area press. These letters included four cryptograms (or ciphers). Of the four cryptograms sent, only one has been definitively solved.

The Zodiac Killer is one of the coolest serial killers, as prolific as BTK, Dahmer, or even Jack the Ripper.

Zodiac is probably dead, likely being between 30-50 at the time of the killings according to a Criminal Minds episode I saw, which makes him 80+ at a minimum. (Paget Brewster almost caught him, but her incredible tits hid a crucial clue on the floor from her view)

Zodiac has 7 confirmed kills, however he has claimed responsibility for 37. During his active period, he frequently engaged with media by sending them letters which included his famous ciphers and taunts to the police. He even went so far as to "score" himself, saying "Me = 37, SFPD = 0" in his final letter.

Then one day, he just stopped apparently. This was probably the most unusual part of the Zodiac Killer - as most serial killers continue to escalate until they are captured or dead. Zodiac just called it quits one day.

Basically he profiles as a goon, and as such I challenge us to decipher one of the unsolved ciphers using our goon hive mind. 40 years of professional forensic and cryptographic analysis will be thwarted by a dead gay comedy forum.

BEGIN: (This is the most famous unsolved 340 character cypher Zodiac sent on a card, we'll do the rest after.)

I think you have to take that weird symbol at the bottom and apply it to the cipher. Then you read symbols which are along the circular line and they're probably code for an alphabet letter and the whole thing spells a message. Or the circle excludes / includes the important symbols. Or it's just a bunch of gibberish meant to confound people for eternity with no solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
so who was it

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

I like the theory it was a fakenews (then called "counterculture") newspaper editor who looked like the sketch and had a similar voice according to the police dispatcher who heard Zodiac speak.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Uh, Helter Skelter op

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Probably some pasty rear end in a top hat white guy (like literally always)

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Theres a nonzero chance he got run over by a car in a completely 100% honest-to-god unrelated accident.

Macasaurus
Oct 12, 2012

Zzulu posted:

Probably some pasty rear end in a top hat white guy (like literally always)

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

pfft, i decoded this thing years ago, mere child's play, 'twas my recollection. what was it you say? well that, goon sirs, is part of the fun. you see, there exists an exclusive elite in this mudpit of a world. the cream rises to the top and we know who we are. genius recognizes genius in many ways. the flick of an eye, the turn of a phrase and boom it's as obvious as the solution to this puzzle. i delight in watching your frustrations. mayhaps i shall dine on your misery with a side of dunkaroos this summer's eve. for anyone that gets it, welcome behind the veil.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
It's shameful that Ted Cruz is still free to walk the streets.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
i just read one of his cipher translations and he was apparently just a loving idiot

quote:

I LIKE KILLING PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS SO MUCH FUN IT IS MORE FUN THAN KILLING WILD GAME IN THE FORREST BECAUSE MAN IS THE MOST DANGEROUE ANAMAL OF ALL
man is the most dangerous game? thats deep bro. real deep
reminds me of the time one of my brothers exs sent him a letter that started with "i hope this letter finds you and finds you well." :ughh: demonstrates perfectly that who think that is the best movie ever are just retarded

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

gary oldmans diary posted:

i just read one of his cipher translations and he was apparently just a loving idiot
man is the most dangerous game? thats deep bro. real deep

A creepy guy that's really good at creating secret codes but really bad at communication? :spergin:

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

gary oldmans diary posted:

reminds me of the time one of my brothers exs sent him a letter that started with "i hope this letter finds you and finds you well." :ughh: demonstrates perfectly that who think that is the best movie ever are just retarded

demonstrates perfectly that who think that is the best movie ever are just retarded

you smug idiot

Otto Von Jizzmark
Dec 27, 2004
My uncle thinks it was Heinrich Himmler. He is a wise man

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Otto Von Jizzmark posted:

My uncle thinks it was Heinrich Himmler. He is a wise man

I hope it was your uncle you were talking about there.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
It's just random symbols designed to troll cryptographers.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I cracked the code:

im gay

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
lmao that you would categorize those tits as "incredible"

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

walgreenslatino posted:

demonstrates perfectly that who think that is the best movie ever are just retarded

you smug idiot
lol it still parses and you dont even realize. look at your self pwn

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE
Be sure to drink your ovaltine

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
I caught him guys.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
poo poo he got away

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
Using the Halloween card as a key this cypher looks like it might be the answer and the prime suspect Lee Allen is who the killer was.

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003
HOLY SHIT I JUST WON'T SHUT UP ABOUT BIRDS IN CAGES. DID YOU KNOW PUTTING BIRDS IN CAGES MAKES YOU LITERALLY WORSE THAN HITLER? CAUSE IT DOES AND I WILL MAKE SURE YOU KNOW. I ALSO WANT YOU TO KISS YOURSELF IF YOU EVER THINK ABOUT PUTTING A BIRD IN A CAGE.
Kirk has some explaining to do...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Cantaloupe posted:

lmao that you would categorize those tits as "incredible"

http://www.avclub.com/article/nothing-says-1994-quite-video-paget-brewster-fur-b-224272

I grew up in the 90's so.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

:eyepop:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Why don't we have any exciting serial killers any more?

Is it because law enforcement is that much better?
Is it because we are constantly monitored so it is harder to get away with things?
Is it because years of profiling have given us insight into what to look for at younger ages?
Is it because all the good people to serial kill are already dead?

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord

the father of senator theodore cruz

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Probably enough serial killer and police media out there that the smart ones know not to show off.

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

Is it because we are constantly monitored so it is harder to get away with things?
Is it because years of profiling have given us insight into what to look for at younger ages?

BTK was caught because of his computer and thats how its been since, unless society's invisibles are involved

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Kids today all got ADD and can't focus enough for a good long serial killer campaign and try to rush it with spree killing.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

It was Ted Kaczynski, the unibomber. That, or he was pretending to be Zodiac.

http://unazod.com/eureka.html

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Lawrence Gilchrist posted:

BTK was caught because of his computer and thats how its been since, unless society's invisibles are involved

But he hasn't been active in over 25 years.

I guess the golden age of serial killing has come to an end. Now those people get involved in politics.

Nic Cage dick cage
Jun 23, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Waltzing Along posted:

Its because they are getting internet hugs at /r/incels with other would be serial killers

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Universe Master posted:

Kids today all got ADD and can't focus enough for a good long serial killer campaign and try to rush it with spree killing.

Checks out.

If only they could just sit and plan a while. Why not a really cool serial killer. Like someone who only kills people who investigate serial killers. Then once investigators link the deaths and realize they have a new SC, he would go after those investigators.

Or a killer who just copied other killers. One by one. Call him the homage killer. Lot of material to draw from.

I think in general serial killers are just really loving stupid. Nothing good ever comes of it. They aren't happy. They make their family unhappy. And they sure as hell upset the victims families. What a waste of time.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Waltzing Along posted:

Checks out.

If only they could just sit and plan a while. Why not a really cool serial killer. Like someone who only kills people who investigate serial killers. Then once investigators link the deaths and realize they have a new SC, he would go after those investigators.

Or a killer who just copied other killers. One by one. Call him the homage killer. Lot of material to draw from.

I think in general serial killers are just really loving stupid. Nothing good ever comes of it. They aren't happy. They make their family unhappy. And they sure as hell upset the victims families. What a waste of time.

serial killers .... bad?

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Theres a nonzero chance he got run over by a car in a completely 100% honest-to-god unrelated accident.

I like to think that either: he ran afoul of another killer

OR

He got sick and died due to our terrible healthcare system.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
In the end it was not our police or our FBI that ended the Zodiac killings, but that humblest of all God creatures, the hospital Bill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
I prefer the Last Starfighter Theory of missing serial killers where most of them were probably recruited as assassins in the interplanetary war between Greys and Reptilians.

• Locked thread