Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I am taking poo poo for the level of technical detail I put in my proposals, as people are having issues understanding it and just want a high-level overview. Apparently I should tailor what I say to my audience. Every time this has come up as an issue has been because somebody forwarded an email of mine outside our group to someone in sales, and then sales forwarded it straight to the customer.

Nobody can understand how there is no way that I can tailor an email to any possible recipient that a message might be forwarded to. Should I start writing choose-your-own-adventure style messages?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

siggy2021 posted:

I've been looking at jobs now that I've got a couple of years of IT experience and a couple of certs. Why does every "Network Administrator" job I come across have every IT Admin thing possible listed in their responsibilities section? I'm assuming that these are places that think they need a network administrator but really are just looking for "An IT Guy," or do they all just list the same thing in every IT job posting they do?

It's likely a small department where workload is shared, so they list everything you might be doing. The key is to define what you're best at in the interview, and in the first month of the job really take the reigns of that thing. If you show up 'ready for whatever' you will get all of the poo poo tasks like helpdesk and log monitoring and virus cleanup.

Thanks Ants posted:

I am taking poo poo for the level of technical detail I put in my proposals, as people are having issues understanding it and just want a high-level overview. Apparently I should tailor what I say to my audience. Every time this has come up as an issue has been because somebody forwarded an email of mine outside our group to someone in sales, and then sales forwarded it straight to the customer.

But that's precisely the job of sales! They are there to know the customer, take technical details and tailor relevant high level overviews to the customer. Sales is not an email forwarding service.

Judge Schnoopy fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jun 19, 2017

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

Thanks Ants posted:

Nobody can understand how there is no way that I can tailor an email to any possible recipient that a message might be forwarded to. Should I start writing choose-your-own-adventure style messages?

This is a common issue on the sales side of IT. Engineers often have trouble turning technical writeups into executive summarys, which is basically all a proposal/RFP needs to be.

I have found the sweep spot is to start high level and only get technical where required or requested. In my visios I will have 1 or 2 high level diagrams and pages of deeper technical diagrams. In my documentation and emails I follow a similar format where early on is more of a high level summary. Sales will almost always forward my stuff straight over and I rarely get push back

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Thanks Ants posted:

What sales is doing is absolute bullshit, and what I'm about to suggest is absolutely going to take more effort on your part, but it's the solution with the least amount of murdering salespeople.

When you write your proposals, write the technical details, then after that, go back and put a high-level overview at the start, making sure to reference (with internal links if possible) the technical details so that sales can't simply snip out the details without making the high-level overview nonsensical. Stuff like "we will do this, in the manner explained in paragraph 2 of the expanded proposal".

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

siggy2021 posted:

I've been looking at jobs now that I've got a couple of years of IT experience and a couple of certs. Why does every "Network Administrator" job I come across have every IT Admin thing possible listed in their responsibilities section? I'm assuming that these are places that think they need a network administrator but really are just looking for "An IT Guy," or do they all just list the same thing in every IT job posting they do?

There is no standardization whatsoever in IT job titles, so one company's Network Administrator is another's Computer Janitor. It makes job hunting fairly obnoxious.

Completely anecdotal, but I do find Network Administrator to often be code for "sole IT person at a small business, doing network but also servers, desktops, phones, etc". If you want to actually just work on network gear all day, that's more likely to be posted as Network Engineer.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

My title is Network Administrator but I'm one of the sole people answering phones for end users, so I'm more like to be troubleshooting user issues than loving around in Cisco or VMWare.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Vargatron posted:

Sir, the term is computer janitor.

That's a system admin.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
How do I know that I.T. titles are meaningless?

I am a vice-president. :shepicide:

Tony was also once a vice-president. :smithicide:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Dick Trauma posted:

How do I know that I.T. titles are meaningless?

I am a vice-president. :shepicide:

Tony was also once a vice-president. :smithicide:

Does your pay at least reflect your title? :ohdear:

spiny
May 20, 2004

round and round and round

Thanks Ants posted:

I do mine in three parts:

1: super simple, your mother could understand it

2: more detail - 'normal' people should be able to grasp the concept

3: all the detail - what I'd email to a fellow IT worker.

that way, Directors can read part1, managers part2 and people that matter, part3.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
Thanks for the info everyone. I guess I'll just start slinging my resume around. I haven't had an interview in about 6 years, so maybe I'll get a few and get some good practice in.

I not only need to get out of this toxic place, but I'd also like to go somewhere where I can actually apply the skills I've learned recently and get some actual real world experience with them and I"m not going to get that here. We recently put up a new building with all new Cisco switches and will be doing the same at our main facility later this year, but all of the configuration and management was outsourced.

It's awful I have to send an email to a guy every time I need any little thing changed even though they are things I not only know how to do but am now certified as being able to do.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
I'm currently a Network Admin, which in my company means I'm the mid-tier guy in a small IT department and seemingly the only person who understands what a VLAN is

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I'm an IT Manager (and sometimes my boss calls me an IT Director), and I do literally everything from budgets to server and network maintenance to help desk.

:(

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I should point out that despite my jumped-up title I am never referred to as "vice-president of I.T."

It's always "the computer guy" or "our I.T. guy" or "the guy that does our I.T."

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

beepsandboops posted:

I'm currently a Network Admin, which in my company means I'm the mid-tier guy in a small IT department and seemingly the only person who understands what a VLAN is

I keep getting asked this in interviews and it seems so basic i feel like its a trick question.

The correct answer is 'a logical network partition to segregate network traffic without separate hardware' correct?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Colonial Air Force posted:

I'm an IT Manager (and sometimes my boss calls me an IT Director), and I do literally everything from budgets to server and network maintenance to help desk.

:(

I'm the IT Manager, I don't have a department budget, and stuff is done by the project. We once had someone ask to see the CIO and they were directed to me. We don't have a CIO. Almost all of the conversation was them trying to see me labor and get my yearly budget. The CFO is the one that directed them to me, then they left for the day.

You had the correct person before! I can't tell you anything about how much we spend yearly because at that time I'd only been there 4 months. Hell I couldn't even tell you now, some years I struggle to get even 5 grand, some years I get 50,000 in projects approved. (This does not include on going monthly or yearly fees)

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

RFC2324 posted:

I keep getting asked this in interviews and it seems so basic i feel like its a trick question.

The correct answer is 'a logical network partition to segregate network traffic without separate hardware' correct?

A method a separating broadcast domains within a switch.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Collateral Damage posted:

"Network Administrator" sounds better than "Computer monkey" in the ad.

Many regulated industries use this generic term in the examination materials. Banking and healthcare, to be specific.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
If your title is director and you aren't managing managers you are mistitled.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

milk milk lemonade posted:

If your title is director and you aren't 35+ you are mistitled.

ftfy

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I agree with both of those.

I have met Directors in departments of 3 with job duties that rival the most junior member of my team. Gotta love title inflation.

The term Director conjures a certain level of professionalism in my mind, and it's not really something you can bullshit your way through. It's a professionalism which, come at me bro, comes with being 35+ as mentioned above. It is possible for a 29 year old to have an authoritative presence. More likely you're just going to come across as a dick.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jun 20, 2017

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I am legally the director of a technology consulting firm.

I have no one to direct :(

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.
My company has several "Leads" who have no one to lead.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
That's some of the most bizarre ageism I've ever seen lol

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Methanar posted:

I am legally the director of a technology consulting firm.

I have no one to direct :(

A director doesn't direct people, they direct the business. Or more accurately, they direct their department to be in-line with business needs. An IT Director should be focusing on the technology needed to drive the business, and then let managers manage the people to accomplish that.

Woogles
Mar 23, 2007

hello
A couple of our directors are 26/27 or thereabouts. (I'm 34.)

At least one of them has made serious fuckups due to lack of experience, resulting in our company being name and shamed in a local newspaper article.

To compound that, the CEO responded directly without legal etc. filtering him or taking the questions.

It's hilarious.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

poo poo like that is how I know I'm not ready for management responsibility yet.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

My title is IT Director and has been since I was 28. I manage one guy. But hey, at least they pay appropriately for the title. :allears:

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
Old people with lots of experience gently caress up all the time in management positions. Really kind of a reach to imply it's an age thing

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I'm 36 where is my title :argh:

Woogles
Mar 23, 2007

hello

milk milk lemonade posted:

Old people with lots of experience gently caress up all the time in management positions. Really kind of a reach to imply it's an age thing

I guess, in theory, older people have hosed up enough and seen enough fuckups to know better. In theory.

Oh who am I kidding. We're all doomed.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Woogles posted:

I guess, in theory, older people have hosed up enough and seen enough fuckups to know better. In theory.

Oh who am I kidding. We're all doomed.

Better at CYA.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Just got back from a long vegas weekend. I show up extra early because I am still on vegas time and I come to work in a good mood. All that changes because as soon as my rear end hits the seat in my office an EVP of sales walks in furious that the executive conference room is missing equipment and he can't do his meeting. I send one of my desktop folks out to take a look and sure enough, the keyboard, speaker system, and the conference room computer are all missing. Were we robbed? Is someone playing a joke?

Lucky enough this is the only conference room we have a camera in. I fire up the recording and sure enough, someone in marketing, a middle manager, decided to come in and take the items. After calling him, he said he needed the equipment for a work function for a marketing event. I ask him why he feels that these items are to be used how he sees fit, considering that this is the conference room used by the executive officers of the company only and the only reply I get it "Well its the nicer equipment."

Whatever. This camera system is worth its weight in gold. A vendor is taking me out for drinks at noon and this place isn't going to get me down.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sickening posted:

Just got back from a long vegas weekend. I show up extra early because I am still on vegas time and I come to work in a good mood. All that changes because as soon as my rear end hits the seat in my office an EVP of sales walks in furious that the executive conference room is missing equipment and he can't do his meeting. I send one of my desktop folks out to take a look and sure enough, the keyboard, speaker system, and the conference room computer are all missing. Were we robbed? Is someone playing a joke?

Lucky enough this is the only conference room we have a camera in. I fire up the recording and sure enough, someone in marketing, a middle manager, decided to come in and take the items. After calling him, he said he needed the equipment for a work function for a marketing event. I ask him why he feels that these items are to be used how he sees fit, considering that this is the conference room used by the executive officers of the company only and the only reply I get it "Well its the nicer equipment."

Whatever. This camera system is worth its weight in gold. A vendor is taking me out for drinks at noon and this place isn't going to get me down.

That man has to have photos of a C-Level with a dead woman or a live animal to think they can get away with that :stare:.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Sickening posted:

After calling him, he said he needed the equipment for a work function for a marketing event. I ask him why he feels that these items are to be used how he sees fit, considering that this is the conference room used by the executive officers of the company only and the only reply I get it "Well its the nicer equipment."
I always love the non-apology, non-apology, mea culpa. The "I'm not even sorry, I'm just explaining why I did this, and I don't seem to be understanding that I was wrong" explanation.

A favorite of mine from probably 5 years ago was the developer who plugged in a store bought router which started acting as a DHCP server, messing things up for one side of a building. We confronted him. The conversation was basically

"You can't plug those in because they're affecting everyone else's access"
"Well we needed some more ports"
"Right but it actually knocks other people off the network"
"We just needed some more ports"
"Yes but you can't just plug in your own devices"
"Well we needed to get some more network ports"

Dude, I swear to god, if the next words out of your mouth aren't an apology and "I won't do it again", jesus christ. We're going to take such good care of you, there's going to be a hub here, you're gonna have ports, it's not going to have DHCP putting people on the wrong network, it's going to be beautiful. I just need you to come a liiiittle bit in my direction and acknowledge that you shouldn't just plug devices into the network on your own, can you give me that much?

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jun 20, 2017

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I always love the non-apology, non-apology, mea culpa. The "I'm not even sorry, I'm just explaining why I did this, and I don't seem to be understanding that I was wrong" explanation.

A favorite of mine from probably 5 years ago was the developer who plugged in a store bought router which started acting as a DHCP server, messing things up for one side of a building. We confronted him. The conversation was basically

"You can't plug those in because they're affecting everyone else's access"
"Well we needed some more ports"
"Right but it actually knocks other people off the network"
"We just needed some more ports"
"Yes but you can't just plug in your own devices"
"Well we needed to get some more network ports"

Dude, I swear to god, if the next words out of your mouth aren't an apology and "I won't do it again", jesus christ

Well his excuse has turned into basically "I didn't know I couldn't do that" when what he did just didn't make any sense in the first place. I have personally sent emails to the entire company letting people know that taking equipment from the conference rooms was not acceptable. We have 5 other conference rooms besides the executive one. Can't you at least thieve from them first?

Like they already have clear rules that you aren't suppose to use the room unless you are a C level. Why he believed he had the authority to take anything is loving ludicrous to me.

"I got fired today honey"

"Why?"

"I took equipment that didn't belong to me like a loving moron"

mewse
May 2, 2006

Sickening posted:

Well his excuse has turned into basically "I didn't know I couldn't do that" when what he did just didn't make any sense in the first place. I have personally sent emails to the entire company letting people know that taking equipment from the conference rooms was not acceptable. We have 5 other conference rooms besides the executive one. Can't you at least thieve from them first?

Like they already have clear rules that you aren't suppose to use the room unless you are a C level. Why he believed he had the authority to take anything is loving ludicrous to me.

"I got fired today honey"

"Why?"

"I took equipment that didn't belong to me like a loving moron"

Point me to where in the employee handbook it says I'm not supposed to borrow spare equipment (that's not even being used!) from the C-level conference room on a Tuesday at 2:34pm :smug:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

We're going to take such good care of you, there's going to be a hub here, you're gonna have ports
I hope you literally dug a dusty old 10mbit hub out of a dusty corner as well. :v:

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Collateral Damage posted:

I hope you literally dug a dusty old 10mbit hub out of a dusty corner as well. :v:
You know what I mean :) Just some little 8 port unmanaged switch will do you just fine in a situation like that. You need drops? I got drops!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

But it would have been suitable punishment to give the person a hub. :)