Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ok. cool thanks.

Also jfc Sony's wifi is so bad by comparison. I am getting 2x the speeds I get on my PS4 pro on this OG Xbox one and the pro is way better than my other PS4 was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marathon Stairmaster sesh
Apr 28, 2009

ALL HAIL CEO NUGGET
1988-PRESENT

1. Yes
2. If you bought any games from the 360 store digitally they are listed under "Ready to install" even if the BC game is removed from the store. Here's a list of BC games and the "Goddamnit we just BCed Black Ops 2 stop yelling at us to BC the other ones we'll get to them soon" list.
3. :iiam:
4. ANSWER HAZY ASK QUESTION LATER

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president

veni veni veni posted:

3. Why is there a bunch of stuff on my list of owned games that I never bought? I think my Gold membership lapsed maybe a month after PS4 came out and that was very shortly after they started the free monthly games. I have Master Chief collection, Watch_Dogs, Some Assassins Creed games, Dead Rising, Gears...then a handful of stuff I've never even heard of and more. And it appears I own them outright, except gears which is some sort of "play now buy later" thing. I'm not complaining, but it doesn't make any sense. All in all theres probably 15 games I never bought in my on demand list. The system was wiped and I used my old login, so it wouldn't be related to the previous owner I don't think? Did MS just give some poo poo out for free while I wasn't using my account? The whole thing is really weird. Hope I didn't get hacked at some point.

are you sure they havent been charging you this whole time? in the past theyve been known to keep charging people even if they get new cards until they explicitly call to cancel

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

veni veni veni posted:

3. Why is there a bunch of stuff on my list of owned games that I never bought? I think my Gold membership lapsed maybe a month after PS4 came out and that was very shortly after they started the free monthly games. I have Master Chief collection, Watch_Dogs, Some Assassins Creed games, Dead Rising, Gears...then a handful of stuff I've never even heard of and more. And it appears I own them outright, except gears which is some sort of "play now buy later" thing. I'm not complaining, but it doesn't make any sense. All in all theres probably 15 games I never bought in my on demand list. The system was wiped and I used my old login, so it wouldn't be related to the previous owner I don't think? Did MS just give some poo poo out for free while I wasn't using my account? The whole thing is really weird. Hope I didn't get hacked at some point.

On the same screen where you can see which games are available for installation, already installed et.c. there should be a meny called "subscriptions" or something that lists your current subscriptions. It sounds like you might have an active EA Access subscription.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

veni veni veni posted:

Ok. cool thanks.

Also jfc Sony's wifi is so bad by comparison. I am getting 2x the speeds I get on my PS4 pro on this OG Xbox one and the pro is way better than my other PS4 was.

Why is your console on wifi, are you poor?

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

That doesn't sound like an EA Access subscription, Watch_Dogs isn't an EA game, it sounds like maybe you bought a second hand bone and those games are installed? If you try and run them they probably won't play - and if they do it's because some dingus left it as their primary console.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Akuma posted:

That doesn't sound like an EA Access subscription, Watch_Dogs isn't an EA game, it sounds like maybe you bought a second hand bone and those games are installed? If you try and run them they probably won't play - and if they do it's because some dingus left it as their primary console.

Halo and Gears aren't EA games either, they are Microsoft. Assassin's Creed is Ubisoft, and Dead Rising is Capcom.

You probably have someone else's "home console," enjoy the games while you have them!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Halo and Gears aren't EA games either, they are Microsoft. Assassin's Creed is Ubisoft, and Dead Rising is Capcom.

You probably have someone else's "home console," enjoy the games while you have them!

That's what I'm thinking. He formatted the HD, but maybe the console is making them available because it was his main?

The only other thing I can think of is that MS charged me for Gold for a few months in there and I didn't notice. Because most of those were free at one point I believe.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

You don't just get them, though, you have to claim them.

He left it set as his "home" console, that explains everything about what you're seeing.

Edit: also you overestimate the quality of Games With Gold if you think they've all been free.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

veni veni veni posted:

That's what I'm thinking. He formatted the HD, but maybe the console is making them available because it was his main?

The only other thing I can think of is that MS charged me for Gold for a few months in there and I didn't notice. Because most of those were free at one point I believe.

Welcome back to Xbox! Still NES Guerrilla?

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
You actually have to go in and download the Games with Gold for them to be on your account, they don't just get automatically added if you have gold.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Beastie posted:

Welcome back to Xbox! Still NES Guerrilla?

Thanks! Nihils Maw on Xbox. What are you playin these days?

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

Thanks! Nihils Maw on Xbox. What are you playin these days?

That's what it was! NES was your old forum name. Sorry we haven't hooked up on PS4, I don't play it much.

We've still got a solid block of goons who play Battlefield 1 about three times a week, usually in the evening.

We also get down with some Rocket League or Overwatch. If you see me playing send me an invite or feel free to join our party.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Just purchased a new 4K TV along with an XBox One S. I'm a very casual gamer (mostly non graphic intensive Blizzard / Steam games), and purchased the XBox primarily as a 4K player.

What are some games that can show off what the system is capable of? I'm thinking Skyrim and Doom?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

obi_ant posted:

Just purchased a new 4K TV along with an XBox One S. I'm a very casual gamer (mostly non graphic intensive Blizzard / Steam games), and purchased the XBox primarily as a 4K player.

What are some games that can show off what the system is capable of? I'm thinking Skyrim and Doom?

No games, the one S doesn't play games at 4K.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
He means as a 4K Blu-Ray player, I think.

I hope.

As for good looking games, I mean, the games all look pretty good these days if you don't have impossible standards... I remember VGA and Commodore 64 graphics pretty well...

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
The Xbox One S does NOT play games in 4K. It will still play them in the same 1080p/1440p/900p/792p resolutions that they were in on the original Xbox One.

If you want to show off games in 4K, you need to wait until November and buy the Xbox One X, not the Xbox One S that's available now.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

X as a consonant = k+s so this should have been clear

The x is the s but with all those k's

Duh

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
When I increase the resolution on my PC games, the amount of STUFF I can see increases (this is what "fov" is, right?), like, I can see a wider amount of the map.

The FOV doesn't change in my XB1 games when I toggle between 720 and 1080P.

Seems like the XbonX is just going to make it so I can buy a 4K TV and not worry about my games actually looking worse?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

obi_ant posted:

I'm assuming your TV supports HDR10? You'll want to get a game that makes use of that, although bear in mind 1080p is the max resolution for game output currently and most Xbox One games don't even achieve that. That said, for HDR support here's the complete list:

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited
Final Fantasy XV
Forza Horizon 3
Gears of War 4
Halo Wars 2
Hitman
Injustice 2
Mass Effect Andromeda
NBA 2K17
Pure Chess Ultra
Resident Evil 7
Sniper: Ghost Warrior 3
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Wildlands
Warframe
World of Tanks

Of those Hitman is a legit good game (and at 1080p, albeit possibly with a wonky framerate), Injustice 2 is also solid and confirmed to be getting BonxBoost(TM) when that's out (it's 900p currently). Forza Horizon 3 and NBA 2K17 can also be good choices if you're into the respective sports. I wouldn't bother with FF15 which looks horrible and runs extremely poorly on Xbox One currently (supposed to get a BonxBoost), and Resident Evil 7 offers an in-depth VR mode on PS4 (coming eventually to PC).

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

When I increase the resolution on my PC games, the amount of STUFF I can see increases (this is what "fov" is, right?), like, I can see a wider amount of the map.

Seems like the XbonX is just going to make it so I can buy a 4K TV and not worry about my games actually looking worse?

sounds right

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

FOV has nothing to do with resolution. It is essentially the viewing cone. And it will remain the same through resolution changes.

By default, a lot of console games stick with a lower FOV since the theory is you sit farther away from your TV then you would your computer monitor. Not many console games that I'm aware of let you change it either. They develop for one specific FOV and that is what you are stuck with.

This can actually be a real problem for those who get motion sick from games(like me), as oftentimes one of the critical factors that causes it is a too low FOV.

Resolution increases should be increasing the detail/quality of what you do see.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Depends on the game you're referring to, FOV is usually in reference to shooter games and generally isn't affected by resolution alone (but may chance if the resolution change means a different aspect ratio); in fact most often games with variable FOV straight-up have it as a slider or some such in the options.

There are PC games, especially older ones, which can misbehave or do weird things if you increase the resolution (shrinking text/UI most commonly).

Almost invariably (other than the PS3, and the Switch due to handheld/TV connected variables) a console game only internally renders at a specific resolution and the console's internal scaler converts it to whatever resolution the console outputs to your TV (based on your settings), so the Bonx's internal renderer will convert the resolution (4K or 1800p or whatever) to your TV's expected signal, so in terms of what you see on-screen a 1080p screen will see the same as a 4K screen, just less pixels and color depth.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The Xbonx is supposedly going to render normal games at 1080p. The image doesn't change between 720p and 1080p on the Xbone because it's not rendering at 1080p. It is probably rendering at 720p and then upscales to 1080, it isn't gaining any new information. From what their presentation sounded like, The Xbonx can increase the resolution of normal xbone games.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

The Xbonx is supposedly going to render normal games at 1080p. The image doesn't change between 720p and 1080p on the Xbone because it's not rendering at 1080p. It is probably rendering at 720p and then upscales to 1080, it isn't gaining any new information. From what their presentation sounded like, The Xbonx can increase the resolution of normal xbone games.

It sounded to me like existing Xbox One games could get patched to support 4K a'la the PS4 Pro.

That said, for existing games that used a dynamic resolution system,, they would likely be running at a de facto higher resolution due to the extra processing power available. But still wouldn't go above 1080p unless patched.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Instant Sunrise posted:

It sounded to me like existing Xbox One games could get patched to support 4K a'la the PS4 Pro.

That said, for existing games that used a dynamic resolution system,, they would likely be running at a de facto higher resolution due to the extra processing power available. But still wouldn't go above 1080p unless patched.

It's this. It's essentially exactly the same situation as the PS4 Pro.

So games like Battlefield 4 won't run above 720p if EA or whoever doesn't explicitly patch them.

The only difference is that apparently all games will offer 16x AF across the board, but this is a minor thing.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I know this is the bone thread but it sort of counts, does the Windows 10 store ever have sales? I expected one at E3 like Sony but only saw Gears of War for 30 bucks.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

I know this is the bone thread but it sort of counts, does the Windows 10 store ever have sales? I expected one at E3 like Sony but only saw Gears of War for 30 bucks.

Seldomly, never at a time that would make sense for gaming, and with next to no promotion or advertising for the sale, but they do.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

They had one on Call of Duty IW when only 2 people bought it on the Windows 10 store at launch (and yes I'm serious).

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Wow. I'll just glance every now and then, I guess.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Instant Sunrise posted:

Seldomly, never at a time that would make sense for gaming, and with next to no promotion or advertising for the sale, but they do.

Wrong. The Windows store frequently has excellent prices on VLC wrappers.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums

RBA Starblade posted:

They had a big spring sale back in April, but yeah they're pretty rare.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
MCC is the Flint Water Crisis of video games lol.

I still play it and enjoy it very much though.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
Oh yeah, since this is a new thread I may as well post the link to the Something Awful Goons Xbox Live Club That No One Cares About

Feel free to join here and I will let you in:

https://account.xbox.com/en-US/clubs/profile?clubid=3379882528830478

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Napolean Bonerfarts posted:

MCC is the Flint Water Crisis of video games lol.

I still play it and enjoy it very much though.

Since I have this free copy I'm Dl'ing it now and remembering how poorly received it was. Did they not fix it? What exactly did they gently caress up (if it's multi you can just say multi without going into specifics because I only like Halo Single player and Co-op).

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

rip

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Since I have this free copy I'm Dl'ing it now and remembering how poorly received it was. Did they not fix it? What exactly did they gently caress up (if it's multi you can just say multi without going into specifics because I only like Halo Single player and Co-op).

Multiplayer was completely broken at launch and while they tried to fix it, it never really got fixed to the level of what was originally promised.

To make matters worse, it worked fine enough in pre-release when all the reviewers were playing it, or they gave it the benefit of the doubt and assumed the matchmaking issues were a result of the game having a low player population on account of being pre-release.

Instant Sunrise fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jun 21, 2017

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

if the only thing you care about is the campaign (:laugh:) then i think its probably fine

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Thats good. I never cared for the multiplayer at all but the campaigns were all pretty fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Halo multiplayer just devolves into two people running/bunny-hopping at each other, mag dumping into their shields and then a slap fight.