Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Anyone else get a popup to restart the game to download the latest info? I verified my game and got a 53mb patch but there's no info.

It's just reverting the full scrap value for nerfed cards change.

People on Reddit are either really dumb or purposefully trying to be dumb in an attempt to work CDPR's generosity. Seems like lots of people waited until right when the change was expected to go into effect to mill cards. Lots of people complaining about not getting the full value anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Xtanstic posted:

Friendo this is a thread for disgruntled HS players not happy HS koolaid drinkers

Oh God, does this mean I'm getting thrown out of the thread because I like both :negative:

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

ShowTime posted:

It's just reverting the full scrap value for nerfed cards change.

People on Reddit are either really dumb or purposefully trying to be dumb in an attempt to work CDPR's generosity. Seems like lots of people waited until right when the change was expected to go into effect to mill cards. Lots of people complaining about not getting the full value anymore.

Aah right of course. I have just over 1k scrap now and I'm dipping my toe into trying to build a NG deck but man I'm gonna have to craft a lot of cards for it to be viable. I got 3 kegs today and I swear 90% of the cards I got were duplicates :ohdear:

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Just started playing, I've never played Witcher but this game looks pretty cool so far. Can I ask for some advice here? I'm planning to play a Skellige deck to start with, here's my list at the moment (just started out so I've still got a lot of the default cards):

1x Crach An Craite
3x Clan An Craite Warrior
3x Clan An Craite Warcrier
3x Priestess of Freya
3x Clan Tordarroch Shieldsmith
3x Clan Dimun Pirate
1x Holger Blackhand
1x Cleaver
1x Dudu
1x Ermion
1x Triss Merigold
1x Geralt
1x Decoy
1x Commander's Horn
1x Scorch
1x Royal Decree

Basically I almost always summon the Warrior with the leader card in round 1, and then I just keep strengthening the Warrior and then resurrecting him with the Priestess/boosting him + other Warriors with the Warcrier as my win condition. Is this a good enough deck to start with? Are there any particular cards I should be looking out for? I saw that silver card with a "Resurrect a unit" effect and I'm probably gonna craft it as soon as I'm able.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Yea that will work for a bit, but cut the pirates for Savage Bears and the Shieldsmiths for Clan Drummond Shieldmaidens when you can. Both of those bronze units I mentioned are among the best bronze units in the game right now. The Crach An Craite deck is the top deck at the moment, so you'll find not only does it work, but because it works so well people will be teching against it. Shoot for Morkvarg and Sigdrifa as your first epic upgrades and Coral/Hjalmar as your first legendary upgrade.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

ShowTime posted:

Yea that will work for a bit, but cut the pirates for Savage Bears and the Shieldsmiths for Clan Drummond Shieldmaidens when you can. Both of those bronze units I mentioned are among the best bronze units in the game right now. The Crach An Craite deck is the top deck at the moment, so you'll find not only does it work, but because it works so well people will be teching against it. Shoot for Morkvarg and Sigdrifa as your first epic upgrades and Coral/Hjalmar as your first legendary upgrade.

Haha, I didn't expect to have picked the meta deck. But anyway, thanks for the info!

As an aside, I love how slick the golden animations look in this game.

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

ShowTime posted:

The Crach An Craite deck is the top deck at the moment, so you'll find not only does it work, but because it works so well people will be teching against it.

Yeah and to elaborate on this, right now, at certain ranks and certain times, you can expect to see about 80-90% (I wish I was exaggerating) of players running this deck, or something close to it. So, IMO the best thing for climbing the ladder right now is to tech specifically against this deck, unless you're good enough with it to win the mirror matchup more than half of the time. I noticed this especially around 2.5 to 3.2k mmr range, it seems to have dropped off to a little over 50% of games since I climbed a bit higher. Might also be a time of day thing too though, its always hard to tell.

Anyway probably none of this applies to when you're just starting out and haven't even unlocked ranked mode. By the time you do the metagame will probably be shifting to something else, anyway.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
One thing to note about Gwent is that the aspirational 14% of players will always be netdecking lifecoach at any given point in time. This doesn't always indicate imbalance, even if it sometimes is the case.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

I think Swim must be playing some kind of long con with his viewers and the Gwentdb community at large. He starts the meta with a pair of great and meta-defining decks gaining respect and brand, then proceeds to create an ever increasing series of dumb and bad decks that people blindly netdeck. His current NG Letho deck is something you hang in a museum. Beautiful.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

His process is to find synergies that aren"t popular yet then make a deck around them. These have to get more and more obscure until he starts pulling the adrenaline rushes out again (this usually is his desperation card when he's out of ideas).

I think the most improbably ok deck he came up with was the handbuff toruviel operator morenn deck from CB.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Electronico6 posted:

I think Swim must be playing some kind of long con with his viewers and the Gwentdb community at large. He starts the meta with a pair of great and meta-defining decks gaining respect and brand, then proceeds to create an ever increasing series of dumb and bad decks that people blindly netdeck. His current NG Letho deck is something you hang in a museum. Beautiful.

He seems the type he likes to discover new combos and do creative decks. Obviously that means he doesn't search the most efficient deck.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
the best way to play gwent is to netdeck and then randomly pick four cards to replace.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Hahaa, just had a Bear deck thing forfeit vs my mulligan deck, get hosed.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
I'd wager that Swim is one of the best if not the best deckbuilder in Gwent. The volume of viable yet somewhat outside-the-box decks he's produced speaks for itself. Either people are suggesting ideas to him or he's a fountain of imagination.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Normal Adult Human posted:

the best way to play gwent is to netdeck and then randomly pick four cards to replace.

I know you joke, but imo the way Gwent plays, 3-4 different cards in a deck makes it feel different enough. Hell, it's thanks to that the game still isn't repetitive.

I can play 3 machine NR decks in a row, and it's ok because one has a Geralt Igni, Dandelion and Neneke, another uses Aretuza Adepts and a Thunderbolt Potion, and another Renew, Siege Platforms + Trebuchets over the typical Siege Supports + Ballistas, each one feels as their own twist in the same theme, and obviously the order of the cards makes more differences.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
i use pavetta. she can make a bear go away forever, sometimes morkvarg, and pretty frequently the lord of undvik as well.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

No Wave posted:

His process is to find synergies that aren"t popular yet then make a deck around them. These have to get more and more obscure until he starts pulling the adrenaline rushes out again (this usually is his desperation card when he's out of ideas).

I think the most improbably ok deck he came up with was the handbuff toruviel operator morenn deck from CB.

That was the first use people had for Operator that was real clever and not just a fourth QG when CB began, before Swim came around. Though it took until the end of CB to the entire idea to become viable.

Swim got big as he was the first to put together how the mulligan system worked in Gwent and wrote about it, then made the Expert Elf deck with Francesca using mulligan knowledge, neophyte cancer elves, and then early versions of what would become Swims Dorfs. Those together with Punisher Radovid, Discard Skellige, Mork and Queen, and the Vishra/GumGum Consume were the most popular decks in CB history.(and the ambush one too, but I don't anybody liked that)

Special mention to Promote Roach, the deck that killed NR design in CB.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I would like to try out the machine NR deck, but I'm missing both Dandelion and the three Witchers and that's the core part to win one of the two rounds.

Last card I crafted was renew because it seemed more universal in use.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Turin Turambar posted:

I would like to try out the machine NR deck, but I'm missing both Dandelion and the three Witchers and that's the core part to win one of the two rounds.

Should have abused the system more! But you not totally out of luck, renew is also played in NR machines.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

No Wave posted:

Cutting Peter with all the axemen around seems crazy...

I get that but I've also got Auckes, Fringilla, Letho, and a dimeritium bomb. I can handle the axemen just fine. I tend to get beat because the deck lacks overall power, not because the bear meta deck works against me.

That said, I play a great Consume deck for the ranked matches while I tweak my weirdo decks. Consume is a fun loving strategy and it works crazy well against almost everyone.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
So it looks like there is an exploit letting you desync your client, causing the game to end and apparently in your favor. CDPR is aware of it, looking into fixing it and banning people that use it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/gwent/comments/6i1o25/noxious_gets_scammed/dj3kfxt/

Basically you log into a second client using the same account and just queue for a game. When it finds you a game, your current game encounters an error and has to end, giving you the win.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

ShowTime posted:

So it looks like there is an exploit letting you desync your client, causing the game to end and apparently in your favor. CDPR is aware of it, looking into fixing it and banning people that use it.

Basically you log into a second client using the same account and just queue for a game. When it finds you a game, your current game encounters an error and has to end, giving you the win.

This just happened to me!!

I was beating a guy badly enough that he passed in the second round with 4 cards left and me having already won the first round. Then when I went to close it out it desynced and said I loving lost!

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Turin Turambar posted:

use temerian infantrymen or :bernin: the dun baldar boys :bernin:

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
Swim is loving ugly as poo poo

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
I think this was my biggest Scorch yet. I revived Gremist to apply a fog to the middle row to get them all to line up in power.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

ShowTime posted:

Haha of course there are people using exploits to boost their rank in loving open beta.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

dipwood posted:

I think this was my biggest Scorch yet. I revived Gremist to apply a fog to the middle row to get them all to line up in power.

That is savage. :captainpop:

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

dipwood posted:

A reveal NG!! What rank is that?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Normal Adult Human posted:

i use pavetta. she can make a bear go away forever, sometimes morkvarg, and pretty frequently the lord of undvik as well.
This card has definitely been responsible for my most enjoyable moments in OB. The long mouseover by the opponent every time is so funny.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
God danged do you have to play a lot of games to get to rank 10.

I built a somewhat cohesive deck that's basically all free cards and it seems to be winning most of the time. If anyone wants a super duper cheap deck try this:

Eredin

1x Cleaver
3x Wild Hunt Hound

3x Wild Hunt Navigator

3x Wild Hunt Rider
2x Archgriffin
1x Chort

1x Nithral

1x Geralt
1x Imlerith
1x Triss Merigold

3x Biting Frost
1x Decoy
1x Dimeritium Shackles
2x Quen
1x Scorch

Gwentify says it costs 4090 to craft, but, unless there's some randomness I'm unaware of in a fresh install, it shouldn't require creating any cards above a common.

General strategy is you need to win round 1, which is fine, people will usually allow that. Round 2 you play your Wild Hunt Riders (hopefully with a Quen on them) and let them waste their cards. Pass with your Riders on the board, and win round three by starting with a board of shielded inflating minions.

Mulligan is throwing back all of your Biting Frosts, and usually all but one of Wild Hunt Rider. Don't really want to see more than one Quen either.

I like to open with a Quen on a Hunt Rider because most everything in the deck does something reactive and it works better if they've put something down already. Turn 1 Nithral is okay sometimes.

I imagine this deck stops working once you start playing better players with better cards, but it certainly works very very well before level 10.

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jun 20, 2017

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Succubus only gives you one turn to react? That doesn't seem quite right, or else the card is worded confusing as all gently caress. It mentions 2 turns until effect, but 2 turns for a Rot Tosser means the enemy has a full 2 turns to react.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Succubus' timer is start of turn, Rot Tosser is end of turn.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

RatHat posted:

Succubus' timer is start of turn, Rot Tosser is end of turn.

Yea this.

They need to do a better job explaining when the timers go off during a turn.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Yea this.

They need to do a better job explaining when the timers go off during a turn.

But it says right on the card...

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

RatHat posted:

But it says right on the card...

Why even have the numerical ambiguity if one is functionally a 1 turn reaction time and the other is a 2 turn reaction time? I mean I'll be the first to confess to being a knuckledragging illiterate card game plebian, but a more functionally intuitive description would seem like a net boon to everyone?

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Subvisual Haze posted:

Why even have the numerical ambiguity if one is functionally a 1 turn reaction time and the other is a 2 turn reaction time? I mean I'll be the first to confess to being a knuckledragging illiterate card game plebian, but a more functionally intuitive description would seem like a net boon to everyone?

Agreed. It could easily be more intuitive plus how/when the timers go off with passing isn't remotely intuitive. I've figured it out now but only by loving it up consistently when I don't pay attention.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

So uh, is Succubus just broken on console? Finally got one in a keg and I've been wanting to try it out, but it only lets me place it on the opponent's first row (though oddly enough I can choose all 3 of my own rows). Pretty sure that's not how it's supposed to work.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Yep, Letho too.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Well that blows. How the hell did they even manage to do that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Help I've fallen in love with Discard/Ciri:Dash/Johnny decks but they're not that great.