Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
this is me reading all these rumors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

pubic works project posted:

One of the things that makes me laugh about the whole PG situation is that he's leaving a franchise that was run by one idiot (Larry Bird) for another (Magic Johnson). I will enjoy it when Magic fucks the Lakers up and they never get higher than 8th in the West. Like just go somewhere cool, PG. Go to Houston or Boston. Play with some good rear end players that are not named D'Angelo Russell or Brandon Ingram.

Well it'll get PG's salary off the books if he walks in addition to whatever assets they give up to acquire PG.

Boston is not, never has been, and never will be cool.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I'm in Boston right now and it seems pretty cool. Harpoon is pretty good, go UC Davis Ags

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Metapod posted:

Somehow this is going to end withmcdermit back on the bulls for like 7 more picks and they are going to have a new stpien rule that makes it specifically illegal to trade picks for douglas mac dermous

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Metapod posted:

I thought that was you

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
also lol if the lakers trade for george thus taking the Lakers out of the top 5

I thought that was you

i am a young soul

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Catching up on the last 30+ pages...

Well what's the one better for Cle? TT for PG or Love? Wouldn't Love have to play the 5 if they ship off TT?

The Cavaliers NEED to acquire Giannis Antetokounmpo and Rudy Gobert STAT. Then they can lose in the 2018 finals with dignity.

Eltoasto posted:

Love has been absolute garbage against the Warriors the last 2 years...

He was very bad in 2016 but this finals he was basically average.

EvanTH posted:

He was the second or third best player on the Cavs last year when they beat the Warriors! He's 1-1 in serieses against the Warriors how is that absolute garbage!!!

Look at his 2016 finals game logs. They're awful.

EvanTH posted:

Also I was thinking about that BruhReport LeBron > Jordan rant and the part where the ranting dude accidentally calls Michael Jordan "Michael Jackson" and how it was a sensible mistake because back then Magic Johnson Michael Jordan and Michael Jackson were working on some kinda convergent path, and Jordan's Marketing was so far beyond LeBron's marketing it's not even a discussion

Also, Marques Johnson is completely forgotten despite being an elite player.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

With predictably already hearing that McCaw looks good so Igoudala leaving isn't that big of a deal

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I just realized Matt Barnes is probably staying on the team

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Matt Barnes looked completely cooked last year, can't wait to see what another year does to him

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Punkin Spunkin posted:

My favorite Paul George thing was always seeing that dumb Gatorade/whatever drink commercial during the playoffs while the pacers were totally eliminated and he wasn't doing anything noteworthy
"GAME."

Yea, eliminated for 2+ months and still playing his odd commercials.

Ammanas posted:

If you could threaten Andre Drummond with being sent to a D-league team unless he shoots

his free throws underhand, do you think he would?

Yes.

DeimosRising posted:

It's interesting seeing the canonization of Lebron James in real time. Suddenly he's this Jordanesque mythic figure, who loses on purpose, his bad teams are secretly good, never struggles or loses in the playoffs unless faced with a miraculous super team, and so on.

He's earned it. He's fulfilling his destiny and racking up the accolades toward possibly being confirmed as the undisputed GOAT in seven or eight years (if he remains healthy). He's beyond Jordan in most respects at this point. There's nothing mythic about it either. We have 100% of the game footage. We have tons of extremely detailed stats. Contrasting a little with Wilt where we don't have full box scores and all the game footage. LBJ was bestowed with kingly honors before even stepping onto an NBA court. Imagine the pressure.

Seven straight finals appearances with two different franchises and still you doubt. Also, LBJ has shaved his head. Nobody else in NBA history could probably pull off what he's done. He's coming off his greatest finals performance too.

ex post facho posted:

i meant in terms of relegation of clearly less competitive teams to their own "G league", i mean as everyone's talking about why waste everyone's time with the facade of a competitive league when (apparently) parity isn't important in the NBA?

Parity doesn't exist in the MLB, NHL or NFL either.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Femur posted:

why would you attack NOL seafood when sf has the same crap but 10x more expensive. those wharf prices were disgusting.

predicto posted:

Hot Tip - Fisherman's Wharf has no purpose other than rooking tourists. SF is chock full of amazing food, but none of it is found at the Wharf, and people who live in SF literally never go to the Wharf ever, unless they are taking Grandma down to catch the ferry to Alcatraz (Alcatraz rocks - Alcatraz and the awesome Musee Mechanique (http://www.museemecaniquesf.com/) are the only reason ever to go near the Wharf).

I did this because I love lovely derails and please note that I didn't poo poo on any other cities while I fellated my own City.

I liked how some scientists did some DNA tests on fish in many restaurants and found that all the restaurants were lying but no connoisseur would know the difference. They don't know they're eating the cheap swai fish.

EvanTH posted:

Same era a bunch of local Moms organized to have me kicked out of preschool because they figured every hemophiliac had AIDS like Ryan White (and for the most part we did thanks Bayer but still wtf I ain't never been HIV+ and even if I was I probably wasn't going to gently caress the other kids)

New thread title candidate.

DeimosRising posted:

The point is he's not some transcendent superhuman who can't lose. He loses all the time.

Nobody ever went that far.

DeimosRising posted:

He struggled, with better teams by far than this Cavs team, against the Paul George/Roy Hibbert Pacers and the Big 3 Celtics at a stage when they were actually visibly decaying into animated skeletons on the court. He lost to a Dallas team no one gave a shot to, but in retrospect they were either really good and we all knew that or they only won because Lebron tricked himself into losing by being the bad guy but his love of justice is so great he can't let villains win???

LBJ is not a deity or a demigod. He lost to a fully qualified title contender in 2011. The media were confused that year and did not pay attention to the numbers very much. LBJ sometimes throws a game for kicks though.

EMC posted:

Is it just me or has PG gone from underrated earlier in his career to fairly overrated now? Maybe it is more an aesthetic thing for me because I kind of hate watching him play compared to a heap of other wings

By the numbers always overrated.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Fisherman's Wharf has really bad clam chowder, which I don't understand how you gently caress up. Even Cambells in a toasted bread bowl will get a C grade from me. I'll find any reason to crap on SF like a hobo but I'll give them a break on wharf related criticism

7 times out of 10 I'm in SF to meet some out of towners who are going there the first time so 7 out of 10 times I'm eating at some poo poo place on the wharf. I went to some poo poo pizza buffet on the wharf one time and died a little inside

Avoid the loving wharf please.

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jun 19, 2017

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Man I can't wait for the next season to start already

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

euphronius posted:

Man I can't wait for the next season to start already

Said every Sixers rookie, ever

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Ammanas posted:

You know if it weren't for the cavaliers going nuclear/being gifted 22 free throws in 11 minutes we would all be looking at this finals entirely differently. Over time I think the 2017 warriors win will be viewed as essentially inevitable

That's true for many. But I take referee manipulation into account as well (favoring the underdog team). LBJ is so versatile that he has a big advantage there in that he can change his game on the fly like nobody else in NBA history. It can be very advantageous in close games. e.g. Imagine IT or Fultz doing G7 chase down blocks. Imagine IT or Fultz shutting down 99.9% of players on the court (excluding KD). It's pure fiction.

Most here knew (in the last off-season poll) what was destined to happen:

code:
Select the Finals loser:

Votes	Percentage
Cavaliers	67	62.6%
Warriors	23	21.5%
Spurs		7	6.5%
Celtics		3	2.8%
Thunder		3	2.8%
Clippers	1	0.93%
Hornets		1	0.93%
Pacers		1	0.93%
Raptors		1	0.93%

Select the Finals winner:

Votes	Percentage
Warriors	57	53.3%
Cavaliers	31	29.0%
Spurs		8	7.5%
Thunder		6	5.6%
Celtics		1	0.93%
Clippers	1	0.93%
Knicks		1	0.93%
Raptors		1	0.93%
Wizards		1	0.93%

DeimosRising posted:

I have no idea what you're talking about with the Olympics, Lebron got bronze that year because he had a dumb coach and bad roster composition, I don't know how that supports the notion that putting together a good team won't beat the Cavs?

Because the notion that one can combine good players like an alchemist and defeat LBJ (or another elite player with a cohesive unit) is not always true.

This team beat the USA team:
Carlos Delfino
Gabriel Fernández
Emanuel Ginóbili
Leonardo Gutiérrez
Walter Herrmann
Alejandro Montecchia
Andrés Nocioni
Fabricio Oberto
Juan Ignacio Sánchez
Luis Scola
Hugo Sconochini
Rubén Wolkowyski

This team finished better than the USA team:
Roberto Chiacig
Luca Garri
Denis Marconato
Giacomo Galanda
Nikola Radulović
Alex Righetti
Matteo Soragna
Gianluca Basile
Massimo Bulleri
Gianmarco Pozzecco
Michele Mian
Rodolfo Rombaldoni

Throwing random players together doesn't always work:
Allen Iverson
Stephon Marbury
Dwyane Wade
Carlos Boozer
Carmelo Anthony
LeBron James
Emeka Okafor
Shawn Marion
Amar'e Stoudemire
Tim Duncan
Lamar Odom
Richard Jefferson

Noctone posted:

lol five games is like "yeah we don't really care about drugs but we have to pretend like we do"

It does seem pretty weak.

euphronius posted:

Really? I think the NBA could add 5 or 6 more teams . The talent level is insane right now.

Yes, the population pool to draw from is so large now that the NBA could expand if it wanted to.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

R.D. Mangles posted:

Im the obese gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you guy from the Canonical Yankees Fans gif right now

I'm smug Warriors techbro

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Metapod posted:

gently caress beaten

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
I'm phone posting so I can't find a link, but I just read on rotoworld that now the Wizards are trying to get in on the PG Sweepstakes.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Tae posted:

I just realized Matt Barnes is probably staying on the team

darth vader noooooo .gif

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Zogo posted:

LBJ was bestowed with kingly honors before even stepping onto an NBA court. Imagine the pressure.

This is easily one of the craziest aspects of his career. I remember him being hyped up as a potential all time great when he was in high school. That would crush most people.

Zogo posted:

That's true for many. But I take referee manipulation into account as well (favoring the underdog team). LBJ is so versatile that he has a big advantage there in that he can change his game on the fly like nobody else in NBA history. It can be very advantageous in close games. e.g. Imagine IT or Fultz doing G7 chase down blocks. Imagine IT or Fultz shutting down 99.9% of players on the court (excluding KD). It's pure fiction.

Most here knew (in the last off-season poll) what was destined to happen:

[code]

Because the notion that one can combine good players like an alchemist and defeat LBJ (or another elite player with a cohesive unit) is not always true.

This team beat the USA team:
Carlos Delfino
Gabriel Fernández
Emanuel Ginóbili
Leonardo Gutiérrez
Walter Herrmann
Alejandro Montecchia
Andrés Nocioni
Fabricio Oberto
Juan Ignacio Sánchez
Luis Scola
Hugo Sconochini
Rubén Wolkowyski

This team finished better than the USA team:
Roberto Chiacig
Luca Garri
Denis Marconato
Giacomo Galanda
Nikola Radulović
Alex Righetti
Matteo Soragna
Gianluca Basile
Massimo Bulleri
Gianmarco Pozzecco
Michele Mian
Rodolfo Rombaldoni

Throwing random players together doesn't always work:
Allen Iverson
Stephon Marbury
Dwyane Wade
Carlos Boozer
Carmelo Anthony
LeBron James
Emeka Okafor
Shawn Marion
Amar'e Stoudemire
Tim Duncan
Lamar Odom
Richard Jefferson

It does seem pretty weak.

Yes, the population pool to draw from is so large now that the NBA could expand if it wanted to.

Shows the value of a coach that isn't dumb enough to try to make statements by taking minutes away from some of the better players on the team. Shades of Butch Van Breda Kolff.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

WhyteRyce posted:

Fisherman's Wharf has really bad clam chowder, which I don't understand how you gently caress up. Even Cambells in a toasted bread bowl will get a C grade from me. I'll find any reason to crap on SF like a hobo but I'll give them a break on wharf related criticism

7 times out of 10 I'm in SF to meet some out of towners who are going there the first time so 7 out of 10 times I'm eating at some poo poo place on the wharf. I went to some poo poo pizza buffet on the wharf one time and died a little inside

Fransican crab was alright and the view was pretty fantastic. Way overpriced and I got much better food elsewhere, but if you're there on business and an expense account is paying it works out ok.

That's my San Fran story, thanks for listening.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Lbjs high school games were on prime time espn.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

WhyteRyce posted:

I had a tourist friend in from out of town last Friday and we got amazing sushi and then drove out by the Golden Gate Bridge at sunset and there were about 15 humpback whales breaching and splashing right there in front of us at the bottom of the cliff and now he thinks that San Franciscans get to see wild whales every day and I'm not telling him any different because it sort of justifies why I'm dumb enough to live in a city where people pay 3 million for a balsa wood shack on top of an earthquake fault.

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006
It would have been funny to have the guy who gave away these red titles at this time.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
I just realized what Embiid's twitter profile pic is. Lol

https://twitter.com/joelembiid/status/876941028821000192

What a good teammate. Y'all should really check out RTArmageddon, it's very entertaining.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

GRIFFEN OUT OF CLEVELAND

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Won a championship last year? lol what have you done for me lately?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/wojverticalnba/status/876943990637162496

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

efb

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

NickRoweFillea posted:

I just realized what Embiid's twitter profile pic is. Lol

https://twitter.com/joelembiid/status/876941028821000192

What a good teammate. Y'all should really check out RTArmageddon, it's very entertaining.

It is the best. Both Embiid's picture and RTArmageddon. Let the nonbelievers get smited like they deserve

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
wait, what?? lol why?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

He probably said he wasn't going to trade for PG or Butler and bald LeBron made the throat slash gesture

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Holy poo poo Bulls fire the piece of poo poo that is Gar Foreman immediately. Like right the gently caress now. And get on the phone with Griffin.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
The most beautiful thing about RTArmaggedon is that the entire thing is a ploy by Spike Eskin to basically get the entirety of Philadelphia to shame his douchebag piece of poo poo dad Howard Eskin at the same time

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/NateDuncanNBA/status/876944406179233792

Dan Gilbert a Piece of poo poo?

Never.

elime anning
Nov 19, 2002

Morbid Hound

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldda7vhmuxU

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Chauncey Billups as GM, holy poo poo if that happens

Adbot