Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Blaise posted:

Which car were you in?

That drill was atrocious. I'll admit it took me a sec to hit the brakes because red flag = off pace and pit in has been drilled into my head from motorcycling. But yeah. Awful. I actually missed it the 2nd time around just because I was chasing somebody and suddenly the black NSX went WAY off pace. :wtf: Then I saw it.

That being said I'm not sure if I'm OK with drills for group 2. Lotta guys are still learning lines and such. This ain't racing.

#3 silver wrx, I saw you but I don't think we ever encountered each other on track. I was in the pit entrance when I saw the flag come out so I just got to where the pit widens up and pulled over. Then I saw a bunch of guys coming in behind me and thought "oh poo poo". When I found out it was a drill I got kinda peeved, I'm paying for track time here, but I guess it was a learning experience. You can bet anyone out there isnt going to forget for next time.

KidDynamite posted:

Almost certain they did it with you guys because 3-4 group screwed it up so horribly on Friday.

Haaaa that makes me feel "better".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
Yeah, at the same time I do appreciate that NASA is so safety conscious. After all, if I was in the wall I'd want the ambulance and the doctor both on their way at full speed.

I also appreciate Paul drilling SEAT HELMET HANS ROLL BAR into us over and over. I'm shopping for em now.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Blaise posted:

Yeah, at the same time I do appreciate that NASA is so safety conscious. After all, if I was in the wall I'd want the ambulance and the doctor both on their way at full speed.

I also appreciate Paul drilling SEAT HELMET HANS ROLL BAR into us over and over. I'm shopping for em now.

I do like that they're very safety oriented as well. That's why ultimately it was a good drill, just annoying that we hosed it up so bad that we lost a lot of driving time.

The one guy in our group who said he had a harness but no HANS clearly hadn't heard the speech, haha.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
Yeah, guy in red civic - he's buying one now. He wouldn't watch the video of HANS vs no HANS on youtube but he got the point. Either 3pt+airbag or harness/HANS. You gotta choose.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

FatCow posted:

What tires? If you want to squeak more heat cycles out of rcomps. Air them down, put them in bags and store them somewhere climate controlled.

Just 200 UTQG Falken Azenis. I think I'm just going to jack up the car and put it on wood blocks to avoid flat spotting if there's not a big difference between outside and a somewhat climate controlled inside.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
You don't have to do that.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
200tw street tires do not need special storage. You don't need it on blocks, most racecars just sit in trailers or garages without being on jacks and the tires are fine.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Yeah, I don't jack up my Hoosiers. They will flat spot while sitting and re-round after a lap or two. Hell, they flat spot between sessions.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
but don't leave them on if you park the car outdoors though a cold winter, that will gently caress them up

speedtek
Nov 26, 2004

Let's make it out, baby.
So anyone in the Midwest who is familiar with Nelson Ledges and the decades of broken promises, they finally got a FULL repave:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrhBpq_YEuk
(not my video, but shows the new surface)

Anyone wanna help me Chumpisize my E30 for next year? :getin:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I have a possibility to get a rollbar made for my NB fairly reasonably. Supposedly the current versions have this design but should have slightly larger bend radius. It's a bit difficult to tell on the photos but the welds don't look super neat to me. Any comments? I'm not doing serious racing, just occasional trackdays, autocross, or just "spirited" street driving.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
I'd go with a proper bar made by a shop that does this regularly. Not worth risking design/welds/etc to save a few bucks.

That being said, I really like my blackbird bar.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
These guys have supposedly built at least a few batches of 20-30 before, they just build to order. But yeah it's some dude in a garage and not hard dog or anything. Those unfortunately need to be imported and are expensive as hell as a result. I'll look around if there's a better way to get a good brand one but it might be that this is the only realistic option I have here.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Here's a weird one - lug nuts. I keep having the things wear out. Just treat them like a wear item, or is there something that's more likely to not be crap?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

We treated studs/nuts as a wear item that were replaced with the hub every year. Never saw any wear out but we saw plenty of other teams snapping studs, and cooking bearings.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

mobby_6kl posted:

These guys have supposedly built at least a few batches of 20-30 before, they just build to order. But yeah it's some dude in a garage and not hard dog or anything. Those unfortunately need to be imported and are expensive as hell as a result. I'll look around if there's a better way to get a good brand one but it might be that this is the only realistic option I have here.

Where are you located? For the record there's been lots of fitment issues with hard dog from what I've heard from friends. That's why I ended up going with Blackbird.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

mekilljoydammit posted:

Here's a weird one - lug nuts. I keep having the things wear out. Just treat them like a wear item, or is there something that's more likely to not be crap?

Are you using aluminum or steel nuts?

Going to extended lugs and deeper steel nuts helps, I would probably put 3" arp studs on anything that was doing a lot of track time and getting wheels swapped a lot. But is kind of expensive compared to just getting new lug nuts occasionally.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Just moved to ARP studs, have been using parts store style steel lugs. It seems like I have one nut seize on per session which is... annoying. And before it comes up, hand starting them, then lightly running down with a drill and then torquing.

Looking at something like the Muteki steel lugs, or Gorilla or something. This just seems like it shouldn't be that loving hard.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

The mutekis are fairly cheap and seem to work well. And come in cool colors.

Do you have anything on the threads? Some anti-seize should help.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

mobby_6kl posted:

I have a possibility to get a rollbar made for my NB fairly reasonably. Supposedly the current versions have this design but should have slightly larger bend radius. It's a bit difficult to tell on the photos but the welds don't look super neat to me. Any comments? I'm not doing serious racing, just occasional trackdays, autocross, or just "spirited" street driving.

Sharp corner in the 2 downtubes (for literally no reason) = nope. Miata rollbars have been sorted for awhile, why not get a hard dog bar?

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

speedtek posted:

So anyone in the Midwest who is familiar with Nelson Ledges and the decades of broken promises, they finally got a FULL repave:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrhBpq_YEuk
(not my video, but shows the new surface)

Holy poo poo. I've been on the crew for a lot of enduros there. It will always have a special place in my heart. I'm glad to see them catch a break.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Crustashio posted:

Sharp corner in the 2 downtubes (for literally no reason) = nope. Miata rollbars have been sorted for awhile, why not get a hard dog bar?

Plus no diagonal(s) in the main hoop. That is like rule one for a roll bar/cage. I really don't get why I see so many cages without them, like, look at any rule book.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Very nice

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

NitroSpazzz posted:

BIR is fun but yeah it gets old after running it a half dozen times back to back. Off the top of my head I'd say check out Gingerman, Road America and Black Hawk Farms...maybe Autobahn. They aren't as close but they're fun tracks

BIR is literally the most boring track I've raced IRL. It's almost as dull as Tskuba in Forza or Gran Turismo.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Good stuff.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

speedtek posted:

If you're serious, depending on where you're at, I might be able to help. PM me?

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Is Harry's Lap Timer any better/worse than RaceChrono for Android? Looking to get some simple timing and maybe some additional data if possible.

Does the GoPro integration work well with Harry's? I've read mixed reviews on other forums.

crazzy
Jul 1, 2004
Martial Arts Master

net work error posted:

Is Harry's Lap Timer any better/worse than RaceChrono for Android? Looking to get some simple timing and maybe some additional data if possible.

Does the GoPro integration work well with Harry's? I've read mixed reviews on other forums.

all very similar, really depends on how fast/accurate the internal gps in your phone is (re: not very). both greatly benefit from an external bluetooth gps radio (~$200 or something like that)

At those price tags, you get close to the aim solo price tag ($400 new)

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
a qstarz gps is $80

and since we're rounding up, $80 is almost exactly $400

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I already have the GoPro so :shrug:

I'll try the free version of each I guess.

SpaceRangerJoe
Dec 24, 2003

The little hand says it's time to rock and roll.
I've found the overall timing with Harry's to be fairly reliable without adding external GPS. It was not unusual for it to lose accurate speed data though. It would show me going 90 mid corner, then quickly correct down 30mph later, something like that.

I got an Aim Solo, and it is MUCH more accurate. I only wish I had a car that would work with the Solo DL.

If you just want some video and reasonably accurate lap times, Harry's (or similar) isn't bad. If you want to actually do data comparison, drop the $400 on a Solo. The DL is worth it if your OBD2 works with it.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
http://blackflag.jalopnik.com/esports-commentator-claims-someone-stole-his-custom-bmw-1796585810

Some motherfuckers stole a trailer with a local racecar in it.

I'm not sure why the article is written so stupidly, but if you have an enclosed put some logos on it. 2-3 trailers have been stored in the exact same spot for years without incident, but this one got stolen a week after it got dropped at the shop.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Or, you know, don't leave a $70k uninsured race car inside it.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

I'll post youtube links after I get the gopro video conglomerated but just had my first race after getting my novice license and SO FUCKKIN PSYCHED. Like holy poo poo.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klGxXIFRdmg

I mean, feel free to criticize, but I know I'm not that fast and am doing things wrong so you don't just have to tell me I suck, I know. ;)

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Hi friends, friendly reminder that lift off oversteer is a thing!

Lift off oversteer followed by lack of correction when it snapped back around, managing to connect with a post. Thankfully no serious injuries, other than I'll be sore for a while. I was not the driver... getting in the passenger seat is dangerous, even in a parking lot.

TrueChaos fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jul 10, 2017

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
That's a shame, that looked clean as gently caress.

edit: Oh, drat, that was an imported one.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

That's a shame, that looked clean as gently caress.

edit: Oh, drat, that was an imported one.

Yeah, it was incredibly clean. We hadn't had an incident in a long time too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
We always try to reinforce both feet in for getting out of shape. Even if you make the save that run is probably going to be slow and it's not worth hurting your car.

That said, I'm the rear end in a top hat that spun a borrowed Z06 at 120kph on a 75ft wide runway. Was extremely glad I managed to keep it on the asphalt because I could not afford smacking that into a runway light.