Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Clarisse & Legion also join the game though currently only as enemies.
Considering Althena is also here, this entire heroes update is basically based around this specific dlc map. Good inexplicable timing on your part!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

AradoBalanga posted:

I believe the artist also did Eliwood's artwork. Miyuu (the artist's name) has some...interesting opinions on eyes.

Eyes?
Fire Emblem Heroes?

What I'm saying is it could be worse.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
...Well now I have to use Will next time I play through because I CAN NEVER UNSEE THAT

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Senerio posted:

Eyes?
Fire Emblem Heroes?

True, no one from IntSys has asked Hisahi Hirai to do artwork for the game yet.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I'm now picturing Sigurd in that style. Thanks for the laugh.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.

Senerio posted:

Eyes?
Fire Emblem Heroes?

What's wrong with those eyes?

I think they're quite fetching.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

The world is not ready for Wrys' final form.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
Chapter 24: Day Late, Dolhr Short (Battle)

: Have you...dyed your wolf...lately? It seems...darker.

: Perhaps we should hurry it up, Sir Jagen.

: And inside is Medeus, king of the earth dragons- the one they call the Shadow Dragon. …Why doesn’t he leave the keep and face us?

They wanted to end on a perfect 25 maps.

: I recall Lord Gotoh saying his return is not yet complete; only within the keep’s walls can he maintain dragon form.

: Really? Then we have the advantage… To Dolhr Keep, then! Let us put a stop to this war!

This is another map where the first turn has nothing interesting going on. Just move on forward. I’ve noticed Shadow Dragon seems to do the empty space a lot, which might be one reason Fliers and mounted units are so good in this game?

Beck ends up getting the first hit, though it isn’t a very big one. The Firestone Manaketes are the less dangerous of the two, but they’re still beefy.

Unfortunately, there’s this hard to notice gap in the southern mountains that some enemies are going to be using to try and sneak up on us. That’s not nice. We’ll let Barst greet them.

I know it looks like Caesar is being impaled with a dragon wing, but he actually just crit it to death. Common mistake.

I am disappointed.

Well, that’s the sniper down, but there are still two Magestone Manaketes and a Bishop over there.

And it’s not like he’s got any Res to help him. This could quickly become an issue.

The Dragonpike/Wyrmslayer can make for a real MVP on this map. It’s a shame there’s no anti-Dragon axe in this game.

Thank you, Catria, for saving me from depressing level ups.

What I’m doing here is trying to clear out all the loose enemies with our high movement units, ASAP. If the reinforcements start to kick in, things can get cluttered and ugly fast.

And we’re right back here, huh?

So, Cord’s probably going to be a better tank against these Magestone enemies.

This Dragonpike got passed around quite a bit.

So, that Falchion? It’s good.

Over on the western front, an unfortunate truth is discovered. These guys get so much Res with the Magestone that Cord literally cannot harm them, with any of his tomes.

He can still heal Barst, though.

We’re nearing the end, so there’s no more time to be shy with your big ticket items like Fortify. Bust them out, but save a few uses because the final chapter is no slouch.

...I’m glad we’re almost done.

Ironically, the Money Sink is actually really effective. Abel’s starting to break off and head for the boss here, while Marth and Caeda run for the temple to the south.

Of course, the enemies like to Fortify too.

I’m very sad the LP will be over soon, I changed my mind.

Let’s take one of the Fortifies out of play.

The enemy thief is closing in on the chest, so I’m sending both Dracoknights down here. We’ll need to cover some ground if we want that treasure.

As you can see. But I’ve got a plan.

With a stylish crit, the threat of “Those Four Guys” is finally stopped on the end of Barst’s axe.

:negative:

So, it’s about time to start stepping on forts. This is Hard Mode, so they get an early move, and a surprise manakete could easily equal a reset.

My favorite thing about Fire Emblem is how walls mean absolutely nothing to ranged weapons.

Yoink.

So, this is pretty cool, but coming in this late means its usability is a little hampered unless you’re pulling it out here or on the final map. This means Maria or Elice can use it, by the way, or Caeda/Minerva if you’ve reclassed them into Staff classes.

Nyna probably would too, but that would require her to get off her rear end for the first time in like 20 maps so it’s not happening.

FE12 Spoilers: No, Lena cannot use Aum, despite implications in that game she’s secretly of some kind of noble blood. It’s not royalty, I guess.

The push towards Xemcel is proceeding nicely.

Getting past the temple is going to be a little tricky, what with the two Manaketes and Hero in there. Technically I don’t have to do this, already got the staff and all, but it just feels right.

Keep on truckin’, Wendell. :unsmith:

Meanwhile, Caeda has bypassed the temple entirely to gently caress up a guy on the other side of it. I sure am moving units a lot, it would be a shame if-

Whoops. So, uh, reinforcements emerge from the forts we haven’t reached yet, including two next to Xemcel, one in front of Abel, and one in front of Marth, but also one from the fort I had Caesar on and then accidentally bumbled off.

Whoops.

Things are rapidly looking ugly here.

But hope is now shining through, with the NEAR PERFECT LEVEL. Hero King Marth is finally here, folks.

gently caress off with your seven damage axe crap.

This seems like a good idea.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

It took quite a team up, but the accidental dragon is dealt with. Thankfully the reinforcements don’t come every single turn, so I have a little wiggle room to step off of forts in cases like this.

Shadow dragon what are you doing

I’d just like to note that Aura is better than Starlight. Linde’s got a nice family heirloom on her hands.

This hero was one of the reinforcements, as was that Bishop on the left there. We’re quickly chopping through any resistance Dolhr has left.

I mean, it’s still good.

The Falchion owns. So long as Marth kills one of these two on his own turn, he runs no risk of getting pincer attacked and taken down. I chose to have him take position at the top of the stairs, because that’s cool and you can’t tell me otherwise.

I don’t know what’s gotten into the game.

This guy was squirreled away pretty well, but with Caeda around, there’s really nowhere to hide.

See, this looks way cooler than the plains.

A quick heal for Abel, because he’s looking a little banged up after his big charge.

Also, he’s in range to block one of Xemcel’s forts.

Might as well hit up the man himself while we’re here.

That sounds like something that won’t get mentioned until the sequel, my man.

Didn’t stand a chance.

Wow. Right in the middle. Literally.

Anyway, with the boss dead, the reinforcements stop coming, so we’ve won this map. Now then, the very furthest southwest corner on the map houses the final secret shop. Let’s see what’s inside.

Three of each of these handy items!

I bought out their entire stock.

:toot:

Oh, hey, the main villain actually got a line.

: Hmph, you’ll find an earth dragon like me harder to tame than Gharnef, brat.

Unironically love this line, even if Medeus kinda sucks as a villain.

Next time we finish the game.

Art Gallery VIII

People seem to like the Shadow Dragon artworks, so here’s Nyna’s.

: S-Sir Jagen? What is it?

: The alternate dimension!

: Excuse me?

: My, how foolish of me...Steve, I nearly forgot...the alternate dimension where we met a god. Silly me.

: Wha-

: I’ll need to back up a bit…

Next time we don’t actually finish the game because there’s one more Gaiden.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Nyna's portrait looks weird to me. I think it's the ridiculously elaborate detailing on the clothes and accessories, compared to the generic anime face. But it's a bit weird since Minerva doesn't get quite the same reaction.

Looking forward to alternate dimension, I remember this being good :toot:

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Nyna also has weird long noodly arms.

I wanna say that in the original (I could be wrong) that Elice comes in with the Aum staff, and that you can ONLY use the Aum staff in that little temple area (you know, the one that has the Aum staff in Shadow Dragon.) Which is certainly weird and hinders the usefulness of the staff a bit, so I get why that was changed.

LordHippoman posted:

This is another map where the first turn has nothing interesting going on. Just move on forward. I’ve noticed Shadow Dragon seems to do the empty space a lot, which might be one reason Fliers and mounted units are so good in this game?

A lot of the early Kaga-made games have this issue, or at least the remakes (since I've actually played those) of the early games do. Echoes has this issue too, New Mystery does to an extent, and Genealogy is practically defined by how useless non-mounted units are. I haven't played much of Thracia, though, although it doesn't seem quite as bad about it.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
The best part of the Aum staff is that it enables the hilarious 0% growths Hard 5 run of Shadow Dragon by letting you attack the final boss with Tiki, having her get killed back, then reviving her again to attack and kill him. :v:

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

vilkacis posted:

Nyna's portrait looks weird to me. I think it's the ridiculously elaborate detailing on the clothes and accessories, compared to the generic anime face. But it's a bit weird since Minerva doesn't get quite the same reaction.

Yeah, it's a little weird how simple her facial features are, especially with the way all the other SD arts are. (Gharnef)

Camel Pimp posted:

A lot of the early Kaga-made games have this issue, or at least the remakes (since I've actually played those) of the early games do. Echoes has this issue too, New Mystery does to an extent, and Genealogy is practically defined by how useless non-mounted units are. I haven't played much of Thracia, though, although it doesn't seem quite as bad about it.

I was actually playing through New Mystery with a friend before I recorded this bit, and he made the same comment about that game. A lot of the early maps, Chapter 3's Horrible Boredom Spiral chiefly, really reward movement as a stat, and it makes it a little tough to get your slow movers much experience unless you're making a concentrated effort to wait for them. Of course, if you have a Knight MU it doesn't matter because holy poo poo are Knight MUs busted, as I now see.

ungulateman posted:

The best part of the Aum staff is that it enables the hilarious 0% growths Hard 5 run of Shadow Dragon by letting you attack the final boss with Tiki, having her get killed back, then reviving her again to attack and kill him. :v:

I love high level strategy stuff in Fire Emblem, because it's so often this sort of ridiculous poo poo.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Echoes/Gaiden's maps are arguably the worst of the lot just because there's just these wide open areas that do not even remotely matter.
Like, ok, this map here? You can see some wide open areas here and there, but over all most of hte map is in SOME use. Enemies are scattered around and everything.
Gaiden has a lot of big empty maps where just entire chunks of the map is just never used. Or has one (1) enemy in it, and a supply tile, that no one will ever use because the enemy (who is entirely non threatening or hiding a subobjective) will just walk over while you deal with the rest. If this map was in echoes there would just be nothing on the right side of the map and also dragons that summon 2-8 other dragons instead of forts.

also chuckled pretty hard at the I NEARLY FORGOT art interruption
your jagen is a national treasure

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
A lot of fire emblem balancing makes sense once you realize that the developers were not originally all that good at their own games

Then things like archers took until fates to fix because of inertia

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

cheetah7071 posted:

A lot of fire emblem balancing makes sense once you realize that the developers were not originally all that good at their own games

Then things like archers took until fates to fix because of inertia

Radiant Dawn had Shinon's effortless third tier capping and the 1 range 18 might double bow, which was a pretty amusing bit of archers being actually good

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Chapter 24x: Dimensional Detour (Prep)

: Now then, where was I?

: I’m honestly not even sure, Sir Jagen.

: Shall I start over? Many years ago…

: No! It’s fine! You were at...uh...Macedon?

: Oh! Right. We got some more new allies…

Here we have the last of the funny names. Take them in with me. Here’s Lucer the Dracoknight.

Rejek the Sorcerer.

Last but not least, Wieklin the Swordmaster.

: With our ranks bolstered, we were prepared to face the Macedonian hordes head on!

: That guy took the “head on” part far too literally.

Oh my, Wieklin. Really? (He died so fast I didn’t even get a picture.)

Some things will never let me down.

There’s not much to say about this map on Normal, it’s pretty much the same deal. You get some extra leeway with the reinforcements, but the boss is usually down so quick that it shouldn’t matter much.

Wladis here actually took a long time to go down. She was survivable for a sniper. Not quite a Penvo situation, but still.

Here’s probably the most important thing I missed on this map in the regular playthrough. On this tile, a single space of plains in the northeast mountains, there is a Secret Shop.

A really, really GOOD secret shop. Three of each of these stat boosters. I bought out their entire stock.

Okay, I totally lied about the funny names, apparently, because here’s the great hero “Jeffers”. I love Jeffers.

Of course, the entire stock of that store was injected directly into Jagen.

Yes, even the Energy Drops.

: Next we faced the Macedonian prince, Michalis...

: Most of us did, at least.

So, here’s something extremely rude that I forgot about. If you don’t have both orbs IN Marth’s inventory, Gotoh thinks you don’t have them and won’t make Starlight. You also get a bit of different dialogue.

: Marth, Marth, why did you not heed me? Why did you not bring the two orbs? Without them, I cannot make Starlight for you. You will not be able to break through Gharnef’s Imhullu magic, nor take Falchion from his clutches. Without Anri’s sword, your battle with Medeus will be fraught with peril. If you still mean to face him, you will need all the strength you can muster, every advantage you can find. If you have weapons like the sword Mercurius or the lance Gradivus, the fight may not be lost… Hmm… I, too, may be able to help in some other way. Let me think on it. Regardless, your quest has just become more difficult than you realize. I hope you are ready.

And by “a bit” I mean “Gotoh chews you the gently caress out for like five screens”. Wow, man, Athena’s got the other one, it’s right there!

I’m noticing a problem with the generic Swordmasters.

The game is still doing this to me, in case you were wondering.

Thankfully, you don’t get locked out of the village, even if you visit once without the orbs, so I was able to still nab Starlight.

I didn’t have the heart to kill Jeffers.

: Next was the fierce Sorcerer, Gharnef…

How To Defeat Gharnef, Again: A Guide By LordHippoman

So, I Barrier’d up Marth and warped him directly to the throne.

He easily one-shots the boss, and now I just have to wait.

Or so I thought. Unfortunately...he can’t take all that damage.

Sorry. I tried my best to recreate the One Turn Gharnef Skip, but it was not destined to be. I’d need two staff users able to use Warp, since there’s no dancer in this game, and I didn’t have that. So I guess we’re just doing the ol’ “play the drat video game” thing.

Or rather, I did. I cut it down for you.

: And then, wizards! Raining from the sky!

In a nice touch, some of Gharnef’s reinforcements will Warp in, with the staff effect. I’d like to reiterate how lucky I got on the normal playthrough by getting bottom-right Gharnef as the real one, so I could kill him before these even spawned.

Unfortunately I did accidentally engage Gharnef too early and had to play the ol’ lure game for a while.

: Not even Merric could beat him?

: Not quite. Thankfully...

: :smuggo:

Well that’s nice. Now, getting the Falchion seems...bad, since the next Gaiden chapter requires you to not have it. You also can’t throw it away. Thankfully I have a plan, which I took from the internet.

: But let’s pretend he wasn’t. What would we do then?

: Malledus! Quickly! Find the apparatus and shut them down!

: Right away, sire!

Malledus does ONE THING of note in this entire game, and it’s only if you don’t kill Gharnef.

: …Blast! How…how did they find the apparatus? All my power… Still, they are fools if they think they can defeat Medeus with such cheap tricks… Heh heh, ha ha ha!

: Gharnef is getting away, sire! Shall we give chase?

: No…let him go. Without his magical apparatus, he has no power left to abuse.

: Anyway, that’s what I think would have happened.

Our final Generic, another Swordmaster here, is “Pinkley”.

: We gave Jeffers the Falchion.

: You did WHAT?

: It was part of an extended prank on Prince Marth. It was hilarious. Guess you had to be there.

There’s a conversation between Merric and Elice here. It’s a little rare to get, since nobody uses Elice.

: Oh my! Merric, is that you? I haven’t seen you in ages...So you’ve been fighting with the League? Thank you for keeping Marth safe.

: Well, I did learn a spell or two in Khadein. Here, Princess. Get behind me. I’ll face the enemy for us both.

: You’ll…face the…? Aha ha, oh, Merric!

Elice is kind of a dick.

: Wh…what’s so funny, Princess? I was quite serious, I’ll have you know!

: Ha ha, forgive me, Merric. It’s just, I remembered you when you were little… You were always a bit delicate. Oftentimes I had to nurse you back to health. Remember?

: But that was- I couldn’t- Yes.

: And look at you now. Such a brave, strong man! A far cry from the old Merric. But you don’t have to pretend. I know you’re far too sweet to mow down hordes of enemies. And…I think I prefer it that way.

: You...you do?

: So, uh, it turns out Jeffers is not capable of wielding the sacred blade Falchion.

: Who knew?

The rest of this map went mostly the same way as last time. Let’s skip to the new stuff.

To get this alternate ending to the chapter, and thus get 24x, the requirements are a little different than any other map in the game.

Tiki must be dead, and you must NOT have the Falchion. There’s a way around this, and that’s having a unit holding the Falchion dying in this map. The Falchion will be sent to the Convoy, but the game, for whatever reason, registers it as being lost. You can also pull a similar trick with Tiki, by having her die (Perhaps even holding the Falchion, if you want to kill two birds with one stone) and then using the Aum staff on her in 24x or 25.

: Lord Gotoh?

: I know you mean to challenge Medeus. But you and your companions haven’t the power to win.

: What? Why not? Because I failed to retrieve Falchion?

This update is just full of Gotoh dunking on Marth.

: I did not mean for anything to happen to her-

: You can put your heart at ease. Tiki is not dead. She has merely returned to her slumber. Still, without her power...We must take other steps. Select a handful of your best warriors. I must send you into an unseen dimension.

: An unseen dimension, my lord?

: A place outside the confines of our world. There you will find a tower; you must pass its Keepers’ test. If your strength and need are great enough, the tower’s master will answer, and then, perhaps, your fortunes will be changed for the better.

Now then, here’s the final Gaiden.

: Marth’s heart wavered. But with neither the divine blade Falchion nor the divine dragon girl to aid him, the tower’s master was his last hope of defeating Medeus. Gotoh had told Marth to find a coffin. So while most of his companions remained in the material world to battle Dolhr, Marth and his chosen few scoured the tower to search of a mysterious savior.

: I...uh...sure...I guess?

:smuggo:

Anyway, let’s take a look at this map. Despite Gotoh’s speech, and the intro, you can still bring twelve characters into The Alterspire, which isn’t that much less than usual. (This, uh, also means that the “most” of our companions who stayed to battle Dolhr were...Elice and Pinkley.)

The enemies on this map, the Keepers, occupy the tower, which has two routes up. The most notable thing here is the large assortment of enemy unit types, including the rarely seen enemy Berserkers, Sorcerers, and-

Oh dammit, really? Okay, these guys too.

One major thing to note about this map. It looks pretty threatening, but upon further inspection...the Keepers really suck. This guy has nine attack.

The boss is a Mage Dragon, which can be troublesome, but he’s still a bit of a pushover.

Art Gallery VIII

We’re running low on room for these, so I’m just grabbing the miscellaneous ones.

Camel Pimp already posted this amazing Dolph art from FE1. It actually matches his portrait...and Macellan’s. They were literally exactly the same in FE1, which is hilarious.

From The Complete, we also have an oddly...romance novel cover-esque Roger, and a reveal of Hardin’s original terrible fashion sense.

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jun 18, 2017

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

:allears:

This image is a treasure. Jagen might be even stronger now than when he was young and handsome

(like so.)

This one's pretty good, too. :v:

LordHippoman posted:

Hardin’s original terrible fashion sense.

This, on the other hand, is just plain slander, you take that back right now, Hardin looks fabulous :mad:

e And speaking of romance novels!

vilkacis fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jun 18, 2017

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

vilkacis posted:

This image is a treasure. Jagen might be even stronger now than when he was young and handsome

e And speaking of romance novels!

I see we're going by the Marcus hair rule for Jagen, which is honestly probably the best assumption.

Also, as this lovely cover reminds me, the thread is ending soon, and I have not been on the ball updating the OP sometimes! Whoops! If anyone has posted any fan art they want added that I have forgotten to add, please feel free to let me know and I'll add it, I don't want to skip anyone's stuff if they want it in the archived thread.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Yeah, I figure most of the cavs get their armour done in the same colour as their hair, so my ~headcanon~ is firmly on Jagen having purple hair before it turned white.

Anyway, speaking of fanart, I found an even better one!

:v:

(Looks like you're missing my Camus edits and Charstram if you want to add them.)

Emperordaein
Jul 1, 2013

Geeze IS,you really like reusing Sword of Seals Chapter 16x/Tower of Valni Floor 8.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

vilkacis posted:

Anyway, speaking of fanart, I found an even better one!

Eh, I preferred the sequel

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Fire Emblem 3 was apparently a very different game before the remake.

Emperordaein posted:

Geeze IS,you really like reusing Sword of Seals Chapter 16x/Tower of Valni Floor 8.

I thought this looked familiar. I mean, other than just being a pretty bog standard tower map.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Emperordaein posted:

Sonnuvafuck I didn't even notice that.

Camel Pimp posted:

Eh, I preferred the sequel

That's some Searius treasure!

:razz:

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Emperordaein posted:

Maybe they wanted to remind people of one of that games few good maps because no one in their right mind would play through Sword of Seals more than once.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I can't believe how fresh you've kept this joke.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Maybe they wanted to remind people of one of that games few good maps because no one in their right mind would play through Sword of Seals more than once.

*looks at shadow dragon, Awakening, blazing blade enm* yeah, what kind of nut would want to do that when there are so many games with quality map design?

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

I can't believe how fresh you've kept this joke.

Can we get a gotoh masterpiece masterpost, please

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Chapter 24x: Dimensional Detour (Battle)

Hey there, and welcome to the last non-main story update of the LP. We’re so close to the end, but first, we’ve got an Alterspire to climb.

: Sire, it’s teeming with soldiers…Who are they? They fly no recognizable banner.

So this is like the Malledus path, huh?

: They are the Keepers whose test I must pass.

: You mean to fight them, then?

: Gotoh says we must prove ourselves. Very well; we’ll seize the tower! Follow me!

: He said “Follow” him, not charge in!

: Pah. Can’t argue with my results, kid! Besides, I had to hurry...

: SOME OF US were still rummaging through the drat Convoy because they left their good bows at home.

(whoops)

So, let me be straight with you, reader, this chapter’s a pushover. All the enemies are really understatted, and this is just a good opportunity to grab some more Experience before the final battle. So this is going to be a quick fight.

: Their Berserkers buckled against the body of the half-giant, Ymir!

: Their dark wizards could not even harm Etzel, master of magic, and also they got shot.

: Not even the Mage Dragons, fiercest of Dolhr’s forces, could stand against Marth, and the Falchion that we definitely did not have, if Gotoh asks.

: They tried to disarm us with specialty weapons, but the ultimate specialty is just getting sliced in half by Barst.

: With a sword faster than light, Athena carved videspread vounds across their….

: ...Vabdomens?

: You ruined it.

: I guess Horace was there too.

Merric, sadly, doesn’t have the speed to double here. That can be a deal breaker with mages.

The Killer Bow here is actually a little scary at first glance, but even if this guy crits, it won’t be substantial.

: Though we had no Thief to open the doors, you’d be surprised how good Norne is at shooting through a keyhole.

The enemies near the throne charge when you get close, but it’s sorta too little, too late.

: And so, we proved ourselves masters of the alternate dimension.

: ...Alright.

:toot:

That’s an empty screen, Malledus.

: There are no others. And look: these markings around it are the same pattern we saw in the Fane of Raman…

: Hmm, you’re right…

: We found a dragon girl in the fane...I wonder if these symbols- Huh?!

: Sire! The coffin…It’s opening!

: What? No! It must be some kind of trap, or…or some kind of…er…

There’s a transition effect on the bottom screen here. Again, sorry, hard to capture in screenshots.

: My name is Marth, prince of Altea. And you, my lady?

: Me?! My name…is Nagi.

: Wait! I know her! Oh...oh no...is this...a real story?

: Well, of course.

: I’m going to need to lie down once this is all over...

: Nagi…I was sent here to find you, by a man named Gotoh.

: Gotoh…I know that name…But from where? I cannot recall.

: You’ve lost your memory?

: I…cannot say for certain. But your voice…I heard you calling. Did you rouse me from my sleep?

: Your soul…called out to me…begging for my help. For this blade…

: That…that’s Falchion! How did you get it?!

: I cannot remember…But you need it, I know that. And you need my powers.

: Your…powers, my lady?

: Take me with you. I must…finish what I started…I think. I must fight with you.

Well...that’s handy. I’m kinda sad it’s not called the Parallel Falchion, but that would require quite a bit of foresight into Games That Weren’t Out Yet.

So, there’s something to note about Nagi’s Falchion. This is the original I got from Gharnef.

Nagi’s is actually way worse, with five less might, less hit, and more weight! I guess it makes sense for an extradimensional knockoff Legendary Blade.

You don’t get Nagi until the start of the next map, but I started it to get her stat block. Nagi’s pretty similar to Tiki. In fact, these are around Tiki’s average stats at this level, aside from Tiki having way better Luck. Nagi also takes way less investment, but she is a bit of a crutch unit to help you against the many dragons we’ll be facing off with in the final map.

Now then, here’s a final roundup of the stat screens for my Normal Mode team, just for completion’s sake.

Marth actually hit his Resistance Growth twice, which is kind of a nice little miracle. Otherwise he was just standard Marth. Pretty decent, but not really good at anything until he gets his hands on Falchion.

This Strength-blessed Frey pretty much had the team on his back. I love those numbers.

It’s our hero, Sir Jagen! With copious amounts of stat-injections, he became a respectable Bishop.

Norne was pretty good for sudden bursts of damage. I still can’t say I’m super impressed with her, but she turned out alright enough.

This is more what Caeda is SUPPOSED to look like, not her super buff self from the Hard run. She’s not quite as much of an all purpose tool without the strength and defense blessings, but she was still an asset to the team.

This Barst is apparently a little below average. I didn’t notice, because he’s still Barst.

I was focusing on Jagen so much that Merric ended up pretty underleveled. Whoops. He’s still okay.

Sedgar serves as a fantastic block of HP and solid damage. Seriously, Sedgar and Wolf are super good if you reclass them. Special note goes to having General level defense with 23 speed.

Athena > Navarre.

:colbert:

Horace is a pretty good block. That’s about all he does well, but he does it!

I really, really wish Etzel was faster. Unfortunately, without doubles, he’s just outclassed by a lot of other casters.

Ymir’s doing better than I thought he would.

And...uh...the rest!

Next time, the conclusion! It’s Endgame time. See you there.

Bonus Content

All our Normal mode run pals are here for a group shot! Sorry Ymir’s so blurry, I’m not great at sizing these. Whoops.

rannum posted:

Can we get a gotoh masterpiece masterpost, please

Gotcha.

There's also Camel Pimp's rainbow Gotoh, who's in the OP.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Grandpa Jagen is in fine form, even at death's door. And I'm not just saying that because of his beautiful, beautiful stats, either :allears:

But yeah, Nagi's whole thing is pretty great, in that "what the gently caress even is this" kind of way. I'm sure they will call it Parallel Falchion when they inevitably remake FE1 again. Hopefully after all the others.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Interesting note, 24x is actually the only one of these gaiden chapters not to be canon. When Nagi is reintroduced for New Mystery, it's as a newcomer who, while vaguely familiar, is confirmed to not have participated in the previous war (likely due to the vast number of plot holes it would raise). Literally all of the other gaiden chapters are counted as canon, though, but also so are all the other characters joining Marth, which implies that New Mystery takes place in an alternate timeline where you didn't have to kill off your entire army to recruit the new guys.

Also, I think Malledus gets so much involvement in the 24x route because the devs assumed he was the only non-generic character left alive besides Marth at that point.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

LordHippoman posted:

Gotcha.

There's also Camel Pimp's rainbow Gotoh, who's in the OP.

This is art and I love you for this. :allears:

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I think you mentioned how the chapter has enemies you never see in the main story (because NES SD didn't have fancy frills like swordmasters and warriors) but another neat touch is that it's the only place you'll ever see heroes utilizing their axe weapon ranks, at least on H1 and below.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

vilkacis posted:

But yeah, Nagi's whole thing is pretty great, in that "what the gently caress even is this" kind of way. I'm sure they will call it Parallel Falchion when they inevitably remake FE1 again. Hopefully after all the others.

I'd be okay with it so long as we also get the Book 2 remake at the same time.

EclecticTastes posted:

Also, I think Malledus gets so much involvement in the 24x route because the devs assumed he was the only non-generic character left alive besides Marth at that point.

Last Celebration posted:

It's the only place you'll ever see heroes utilizing their axe weapon ranks, at least on H1 and below.

I didn't really notice or think of either of those things, drat. Fair points.

HardDiskD posted:

This is art and I love you for this. :allears:

Thank you, and thank the game for not having Gotoh talk in ghost-mode anymore so I don't run it into the ground! :v:

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Final Chapter: Shadow Dragon. (Prep)

: I’m afraid this is it. This is where my story ends...

: Sir Jagen, please, hold on a little longer...

Well, this one’s been a long time coming.

: They broke into four groups and stormed the four gates of Dolhr Keep-

: Bravely, these warriors fate had chosen steeled themselves for one last struggle.

So, one interesting thing about this map is that this is a “Defeat Boss” map, meaning that Marth doesn’t have to seize the Throne. As soon as Medeus’ HP hits zero, you win.

Like the intro text implied, we’re splitting into four teams for this final map.

That’s one gimmick. The other is these doors scattered all over the map, which will close after certain turns pass, locking you out and preventing units behind them from moving forward without a key (or being a Thief.)

I really don’t like either of these mechanics, so I’m not a huge fan of this map!

There are plentiful staircases as well, which will be spawning lots of reinforcements. The castle doesn’t let up.

Can’t forget these guys! OH BOY.

(If it’s any relief, I think this is the last time I will ever LP a game with a Ballistician in it.)

Some of the doors are cluttered with enemies, so you need to press on the attack. Holing up will get you locked out. There is a shop in the bottom right corner where you can buy Keys, in a worst case scenario...but it’s surrounded by enemy spawning forts.

The ultimate goal of all this madness is getting to the north end of the palace. It’s crowded with these goons initially.

Then, it’s a straight shot down into the Throne Room, which has some Fortify curates, a couple snipers, one final random Manakete, and, of course…

Here he is, the final boss of Shadow Dragon. Medeus is a lot tougher than he looks. With Earthstone bonuses…

HP: 60
Strength: 27
Magic: 1
Skill: 29
Speed: 25
Luck: 0 (:v:)
Defense: 25
Resistance: 23

Plus, that’s at a range of 2, so there’s no cheesing him with any ranged shenanigans. Medeus is by far the strongest foe in the game, and you’ll want to bring in the big guns for him. Marth’s Falchion does effective damage against him, as do Tiki and Nagi’s Divinestones. The legendary weapons are solid backups as well.

Before we take him on, here’s one last look at the team. I already went ahead and used the stat boosters before these shots.

Marth is a character who thrives on exclusive weapons. Throughout this run, pretty much all the real work he’s done has been with the Rapier or Falchion, and I think that’s pretty normal.

My Caeda came out pretty great. She really is mostly just a better Marth, with a similar exclusive weapon and a flying horse.

Abel’s been the jack-of-all-trades for the group since his first chapter, which is sort of the classic role of the Paladin. He’s been a drat good unit, and I’m not surprised he’s ending this strongly.

Barst rules

I have somewhat mixed feelings on Cord. His speed is phenomenal, but his Magic kinda struggled at points, where I had to Spirit Dust him, and he’s squishy as all hell. Still, if he’s at a range to double, he’s probably blowing someone up.

With very little effort Wolf shines. He’s weak against mages, but that’s sort of a Shadow Dragon constant. That kind of Defense will keep him clogging doors for the rest of the game.

I’m really pleased with Caesar. He could use a bit more Strength, but this is sorta what I think Heroes should look like in Fire Emblem. I think he deserves to carry Mercurius into the final battle.

So, Lena didn’t work out. Maria’s stats are nothing amazing, aside from her ridiculous Resistance. But what matters is her ridiculous Staff rank. She’s utility and healing until the end.

Linde’s pretty drat good. Aura is the best tome in the game, and that carries a lot of it. I will say that, after all this, I still prefer Merric. He takes way less effort and experience, so if you aren’t willing to arena grind, I don’t think she’s too viable.

Catria came in late but still kicks rear end. 18 Strength! 17 Def! Look at this good poo poo.

Uh, I didn’t do a ton with Tiki. She’s okay? That movement really hamstrings her.

Ogma’s a pretty worthy companion for Caesar. I still think he’s a little better, since Caesar took a little work too, but not to a huge degree. I only have one Mercurius, but he’s still got the Wyrmslayer for those pesky Manaketes.

Much like Maria, I don’t really care about Wendell’s horrible, awful, truly horrific stats. He’s an old man with lots of staves and that’s why he’s my pal.

I underestimated Beck, I’ll admit it. Ballisticians are better than I thought they were, and I think he’s the stronger of the two.

Lorenz is here because I needed a fifteenth person.

: And so, we finished our quest…

Bonus Content

I made a final group shot of our last team. It’s, uh, it was an honest attempt. I mean, some of it is because of the conflicting art-styles, and I’m holding to that. That guy on the far right is supposed to be Beck. I dunno either. It does look fairly close to his FE1 Portrait.

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jun 22, 2017

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Oh boy, the final boss doubles Marth! That ought to be fun.

(It's so weird seeing Caeda with her speed capped at 23 right underneath. Shadow Dragon!)

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

I genuinely wonder if you're going to play the map "normally" or just start warping dudes, because unless you've used up your warps why the hell would anyone play this map normally?

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

vilkacis posted:

(It's so weird seeing Caeda with her speed capped at 23 right underneath. Shadow Dragon!)

This wouldn't have happened if I could have my dang Falcoknights. drat online-only content.

EDIT: Actually scratch that. I think the Wiki I was looking at was wrong, or I added incorrectly, because I hosed up Medeus' statline. That might be for a different difficulty? It's fixed now.

So Marth/Caeda aren't getting doubled, but they aren't hitting him twice either.

Camel Pimp posted:

I genuinely wonder if you're going to play the map "normally" or just start warping dudes, because unless you've used up your warps why the hell would anyone play this map normally?

I will give it an honest try the "standard" way, but I cannot guarantee I won't resort to shenanigans.

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jun 22, 2017

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Camel Pimp posted:

This but for the entire back portion of the game.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

FoolyCharged posted:

This but for the entire back portion of the game.

Pretty much, honestly. One thing I've noticed hard with this LP is that there are a quite a few late game maps that are just too big for their own good (Chapter 21 gets hit with this real hard, it's just a big empty space and a line of enemies) and it gets a little taxing. Map design is something that took a while to get down, I guess, though it's not to the degree of Gaiden's more "what the gently caress" levels.

(Also we're almost at Page 25, that would end it on a very symmetrical number :toot:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
One small thing FE should add in the future is some sort of mass-direction for moving units. The worst feeling on a map is realizing you have 14-15 units that all have to be selected and individually moved for the next three turns to inside a castle or something.

• Locked thread