Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Damned goons telling me to not short bitcoin and it drops 30% literally the next day!!!!! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

plape tickler
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sentient Data posted:

Damned goons telling me to not short bitcoin and it drops 30% literally the next day!!!!! :argh:

That was quite a drop. Still in the black though.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

LethalGeek posted:

Anyone who tries to tell me the blockchain is useful for something in computing could just tell me they're an idiot, cause it really is one in the same.

I'm friends with someone at Deloitte consulting, they have a whole group doing blockchain stuff. I've never bothered to ask what.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Burt Sexual posted:

I'm friends with someone at Deloitte consulting, they have a whole group doing blockchain stuff. I've never bothered to ask what.

When people wave handfuls of cash at you shouting "SELL ME A BLOCKCHAIN! WHATEVER THAT IS!" any good consulting company knows what to do.

This is easier than you might think, since the actually good bit is the tamper-evident ledger, and you get that using anything that chains hashes. You could put all your transactions into a Git repository and you'll have a hash that uniquely fingerprints the entire ledger and a hash to identify the version at any given time. (Some "distributed ledger technology" products are pretty much a simplified version of copying Git repositories around. Technically, a shared sheet in Google Docs is "distributed ledger technology.")

When blockchain schemes do promise some specific outcome, it's usually the magic of full availability of properly cleaned up and standardised data. The actual problem is cleaning up the data in the first place, or getting legacy systems talking to each other at all; in finance in particular, the back-office systems are decades old and won’t interoperate without tremendous effort. But of course, it turns out "blockchains" won't fix your data for you, and they won't replace your back-office systems without as much work, time and money as any other software replacement project would be.

The hype is spectacular bullshit, though. I sat in on one presentation by a Big Four accounting firm on the Blockchain in health care: three blokes (one with a tie, two without) talking about the hypothetical possibilities a blockchain might offer health care in the future, all of which was generic extruded blockchain hype, and much of it Ham Sandwich-level bitcoin hype with the buzzword changed. When an audience member, tiring of this foggy talk, asked if there was anything concrete that blockchains could offer the NHS, they responded that asking for practical uses of Blockchain was "like trying to predict Facebook in 1993." The main takeaway for the health care sector people I was with was swearing never to use said accounting firm for anything whatsoever that wasn’t accounting.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Isn't a Blockchain like a database then? It's just like, public or something

I don't know, and I don't understand it, buy, buy, buy!

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Not surprising. This is basically a lot of Silicon Valley investment.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Someone way more computer scientisty than I could say better but yes that's all it actually boils down to. It's only notable thing there is no central system making the final call about things, but it pulls this off by mindlessly wasting electricity instead of any sort of actual security mechanism.

Active Directory I would say is a similar product that exists and functions and does things that's pretty similar in my mind, and i'm sure there are dozens of other examples out there. My job's file repository/database isn't too different either.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Anyone know approximately how much hardware is dedicated to the lightning fast 3.24 transactions a second?

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Actually I asked this exact question of our "financial innovation office" team at work. Specifically I asked how a blockchain is different than a centralized database. The answer that I got is that it's public.
And yet what you hear most of the ethereum enterprise companies talk about is some kind of semi-private blockchain. Frankly no goddamn different than markitwire, in the derivatives world. I'm really really waiting for someone to justify to me how a non-governed non-centralized source of data/information is better than a centralized/governed source of data/information is, from an institutional finance perspective.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Sentient Data posted:

Hope you weren't thinking of using Coinbase because they were down for most of the day

zmcnulty posted:

Actually I asked this exact question of our "financial innovation office" team at work. Specifically I asked how a blockchain is different than a centralized database. The answer that I got is that it's public.
And yet what you hear most of the ethereum enterprise companies talk about is some kind of semi-private blockchain. Frankly no goddamn different than markitwire, in the derivatives world. I'm really really waiting for someone to justify to me how a non-governed non-centralized source of data/information is better than a centralized/governed source of data/information is, from an institutional finance perspective.

That's exactly right; a blockchain is an append-only distributed database where you give untrusted parties the ability to make insertions, and you deal with untrustworthiness by requiring everyone to participate in a hardware arms race. If you get outspent and lose control of your own database to some competitor then that's just the free market deciding that you don't deserve to control your own blockchain anymore, and since it's the free market making the decision that means the decision is just

If you want to set up a distributed database only on hardware that you already trust, and you don't want to give competitors access at all, then a blockchain is pointless. What good is a system that is only useful if you give a competitor a foot in the door to take control of your data, you ask? BLOCKCHAIN BLOCKCHAIN BLOCKCHAIN TO THE MOOOOOON

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

the next question for big finance is if blockchain is better than SWIFT or CLS. whoops

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

QuarkJets posted:

That's exactly right; a blockchain is an append-only distributed database where you give untrusted parties the ability to make insertions, and you deal with untrustworthiness by requiring everyone to participate in a hardware arms race. If you get outspent and lose control of your own database to some competitor then that's just the free market deciding that you don't deserve to control your own blockchain anymore, and since it's the free market making the decision that means the decision is just

If you want to set up a distributed database only on hardware that you already trust, and you don't want to give competitors access at all, then a blockchain is pointless. What good is a system that is only useful if you give a competitor a foot in the door to take control of your data, you ask? BLOCKCHAIN BLOCKCHAIN BLOCKCHAIN TO THE MOOOOOON

for those who want the interlecktual bitcoin thread, it's on YOSPOS and we had a discussion a few pages ago about security issues in permissioned invitation-only blockchains.

tl;dr you know your employees who get phished and cryptolockered and send passwords to boss@totally-your-company.ru? yeah, imagine them leaking your company key to said blockchain.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

divabot posted:

for those who want the interlecktual bitcoin thread, it's on YOSPOS and
it's almost as big as the blockchain.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

QuarkJets posted:

Hope you weren't thinking of using Coinbase because they were down for most of the day

That sounds loving dumb, as I thought.

Then I read stuff like this guy and his Siacoins and I wonder if there's something there:

quote:

David VorickFollow
Jun 8
Decentralization Could Have Saved Users of Amazon Drive

Today Amazon announced that they would be removing the ‘Unlimited’ plan from their Drive service. Users have been given 180 days to find a new place for their data, or otherwise be charged.
Amazon Drive Unlimited was a valuable service for many Amazon customers, and is now being shutting down. The service provided a home for many users that had data which was largely unaffordable on other platforms. The promise of unlimited storage was a huge boon for many, especially in communities like Reddit’s /r/datahoarders.
Amazon Drive is ultimately a product by a centralized company that can perform centralized decision making. These decisions can be made for any reason and at any time, and very often end up harming the end user in ways that can feel unexpected or unfair. When you use a centralized service like Amazon, you are trusting that their service is going to be there for you tomorrow. Amazon has bills and motivations, and at any time they can decide that it’s no longer worth providing service to you. And as we see today, this is something that does happen.
Bitcoin brought a new type of distributed system into the world. A system where you did not need to trust. A crazy way of writing applications that can’t be shut down, even by their creators. Users of these applications can rely on them to be there tomorrow, because there’s no kill switch.
We’ve taken that way of doing things and applied it to data storage. With Sia, there is no kill switch. As the founders and developers, we can’t disable your access to the network even if we tried, because we intentionally designed ourselves out of the equation. Sia is infrastructure that you can expect to be there, regardless of how the political or financial status of the major players changes. And that’s because Sia works hard to make sure that no single player or group of players is all that important or powerful on the network.
This won’t be the last time that a centralized network makes a dramatic change to a service that people depend on. When it comes to critical infrastructure, you do not want to be vulnerable to that. When it comes to something as important as your data, decentralization has a lot to offer.

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

I don't really care what kind of blockchain voodoo economics Sia's doing, but I'm only paying a fraction what I would be paying Amazon to store massive amounts of slightly better than worthless data using it so that's something.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Hahahha sia? As in the singer? She's hocking button?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Blockade posted:

I don't really care what kind of blockchain voodoo economics Sia's doing, but I'm only paying a fraction what I would be paying Amazon to store massive amounts of slightly better than worthless data using it so that's something.

It's the same as any other startup that massively undercuts the competition: tons of VC funding and relatively little overhead. Just look at Twitter; in the first 2 years they were operating they generated no revenue at all, much less profit, and despite having literally no plan for becoming a revenue-generating venture they secured hundreds of millions in VC funding. Today they regularly lose hundreds of millions each quarter and have no real roadmap for digging themselves out, yet they're estimated to be worth Billions.

Tech startups make no sense and are funded almost entirely by rich idiots trying to be on the ground floor of The Next Google

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Then I read stuff like this guy and his Siacoins and I wonder if there's something there:

Decentralized data storage != blockchains. Sia is decentralized data storage network with a blockchain transaction layer built on top; the Sia blockchain isn't handling the data storage at all, it's merely how payments for storage are getting made. This sounds reasonable but it's still relying on Proof of Work for transaction verification, which is excessively wasteful in terms of resources meaning that the whole thing is surviving purely on token speculation

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I just listened to this week's Odd Lots podcast on ethereum and the bullshit that sits on top of it and laughed my rear end off as I rode bikes. Thanks for the humour crypto tards

https://www.bloomberg.com/podcasts/odd_lots

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

That face just makes me irrationally angry, like I want to punch my screen, which is ironic since I did a GIS and recognized his name from that Let's Read: "Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality" thread I read a little of. I can't even remember many of his stupid opinions, I just wish I didn't have to see his face every time I read your posts :argh:

I don't have time for all these words, I just need to know which cryptocurrency to give all my money to.

quote:

Bitcoin brought a new type of distributed system into the world. A system where you did not need to trust. A crazy way of writing applications that can’t be shut down, even by their creators.

"Help, I just did a git pull and now the software just says that the network has been shut down."

"Help, I just did a git pull and now there's a nag screen saying that I have to pay if I keep using the software for 30 days."

"Help, I just did a git pull and now all the files on my hard drive are encrypted and I need to send bitcoins to some address to decrypt them."

Yeah you totally don't need to trust the guy who wrote the code you're running on your computer, you just read the specification/white paper and write your own implementation, or else do a line-by-line audit of the code prior to running it and prior to every time you do an update.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Buttcoin purse posted:

That face just makes me irrationally angry, like I want to punch my screen, which is ironic since I did a GIS and recognized his name from that Let's Read: "Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality" thread I read a little of. I can't even remember many of his stupid opinions, I just wish I didn't have to see his face every time I read your posts :argh:

I wish the same. I know who bought it for me and went "well played, goon" but I expect I'll be coughing up :5bux: so they can spend :10bux: to put it back again

John Big Booty posted:

it's almost as big as the blockchain.

insert wacky Sir Mix A Lot pastiche

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

namaste faggots posted:

I just listened to this week's Odd Lots podcast on ethereum and the bullshit that sits on top of it and laughed my rear end off as I rode bikes. Thanks for the humour crypto tards

https://www.bloomberg.com/podcasts/odd_lots

lol he literally says "imagine bitcoin is used for 10% of all remittances in the world, it would be worth so much!" as a way of evaluating the future value of bitcoin

literally just picking an arbitrary number out of the air, poo poo there are so many idiots in this space it leaves no doubt in my mind that bitcoin's price will continue to grow even while its value continues to be 0

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

I thought the basis behind Bitcoin "going to the moon", was it replacing currency.
Like, people would be buying groceries and paying bills and poo poo with Bitcoin.
So far the only thing people use it for is making clandestine bank transfers.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

LethalGeek posted:

Someone way more computer scientisty than I could say better but yes that's all it actually boils down to. It's only notable thing there is no central system making the final call about things, but it pulls this off by mindlessly wasting electricity instead of any sort of actual security mechanism.

forcing attackers to needlessly wasteelectricity is about the only efficient security mechanism out there

have you ever heard of the term "heat death of the universe"

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

lol like it takes speculating in a currency to observe 5 years of "hilarious", oblivious non-jokes about line graphs by people who were completely wrong
if we were completely wrong bitcoin would actually be something you could use as an investment for retirement (get all your money out)
newegg and steam accepting bitcoin thus giving you an avenue to at least get something back (ideal for an amount of money you put into bitcoin as a lark) doesnt actually change anything unless steam games and the computers to play them on are life (they are)

LinYutang posted:

Mocking something for five years straight is super cool and definitely a signal of greater mental clarity than bitcoiners
making fun of something stupid? sounds like everyone on planet earth has a lot of growing up to do. i just didnt realize it until we made fun of a dumb thing you like

shame on an IGA posted:

E: the original bitcoin mock thread was started by an earnest booster too, all these years ago. This thread is a thread of destiny.
exactly. even with all the enthusiasm in the world the flaws are just all to apparent to everyone who isnt caught up in their hindsight "but what if i had made this series of completely improbable decisions to be the guy who got in at all the right times and found a buyer with actual cash at all the right times and places" fantasies

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

QuarkJets posted:

You, like Ham Sandwiches, are missing the point. There's no way to know whether bitcoin will be up or down tomorrow or a week from now. The point is that the actual bitcoin system is wrought with fraud and hilariously inept security vulnerabilities, resulting in things like the huge bitfinex hack that happened last year, or popular ethereum wallet FreeWallet silently stealing $8M in user funds just a few days ago

Is the bitcoin price going to crash? I don't really know or care. If I did know I still wouldn't short it because that would require going to a place like Bitfinex, which doesn't allow cash withdrawals and could literally close their doors at any time
the ultimate point is that cashing out is a zero-sum game while bitcoin masquerades (from day 1) as a non-zero-sum "free money!" game all to the favor of earlier adopters
but at least even an early adopter still runs into the cashing out problem that only grows more difficult as the disparity between bitcoins self-evaluated market cap and the actual money prospective to be introduced to the exchange grows wider and wider

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

QuarkJets posted:

lol he literally says "imagine bitcoin is used for 10% of all remittances in the world, it would be worth so much!" as a way of evaluating the future value of bitcoin

Of course, I tracked this standard Bitcoin claim down: "The supply is limited, so the price can only go up!" Hal Finney posted in 2009:

quote:

As an amusing thought experiment, imagine that Bitcoin is successful and becomes the dominant payment system in use throughout the world. Then the total value of the currency should be equal to the total value of all the wealth in the world.

Bitcoin advocates then immediately adopted this idle musing as something that would obviously happen.

The problem is that Bitcoin is deflationary. Let's assume for a moment that Bitcoin's crank goldbug economic theories work (which they don't). As economic value traded in Bitcoins increases, the limited supply means the economic value per bitcoin goes up, which means that the price of things in bitcoins goes down. This means the dollar value of one bitcoin indeed goes up! However, it also means there's absolutely no incentive to spend your bitcoins if they’ll always be worth more tomorrow. This means economic activity goes down, and if there are alternatives - altcoins, or just using functional existing payment systems - Bitcoin loses users and interest.

Back in real-world economics, the price of Bitcoin goes up when there's demand for it as a speculative commodity, drops when demand drops and is hugely volatile the rest of the time because trading is so thin. But it’s important to note that this idea - that limited supply equals MOOOON - wouldn’t work even in hypothetical Bitcoin economics.

Instead of using their coins, Bitcoin holders keep holding waiting for the price to go to the moon, and even when merchants accept Bitcoin almost nobody buys with it. Prominent Bitcoin advocates have even worried that merchant adoption - people using Bitcoin as currency in the real world - might drop the value of their holding. Digital Gold by Nathaniel Popper, chapter 31, notes leading lights of Bitcoin expressing this precise worry at the Bitcoin Pacifica conference in 2014:

quote:

For the sake of Bitcoin as a whole, there were many who worried that the consumers who were buying things online through Bitpay were pushing the price of Bitcoin down; generally when online retailers accepted Bitcoins they immediately sold them off for dollars, creating a downward pressure on the overall price.

edit: goddamn I hate that avatar

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

divabot posted:

Of course, I tracked this standard Bitcoin claim down: "The supply is limited, so the price can only go up!" Hal Finney posted in 2009:

Bitcoin advocates then immediately adopted this idle musing as something that would obviously happen.

The problem is that Bitcoin is deflationary. Let's assume for a moment that Bitcoin's crank goldbug economic theories work (which they don't). As economic value traded in Bitcoins increases, the limited supply means the economic value per bitcoin goes up, which means that the price of things in bitcoins goes down. This means the dollar value of one bitcoin indeed goes up! However, it also means there's absolutely no incentive to spend your bitcoins if they’ll always be worth more tomorrow. This means economic activity goes down, and if there are alternatives - altcoins, or just using functional existing payment systems - Bitcoin loses users and interest.

Back in real-world economics, the price of Bitcoin goes up when there's demand for it as a speculative commodity, drops when demand drops and is hugely volatile the rest of the time because trading is so thin. But it’s important to note that this idea - that limited supply equals MOOOON - wouldn’t work even in hypothetical Bitcoin economics.

Instead of using their coins, Bitcoin holders keep holding waiting for the price to go to the moon, and even when merchants accept Bitcoin almost nobody buys with it. Prominent Bitcoin advocates have even worried that merchant adoption - people using Bitcoin as currency in the real world - might drop the value of their holding. Digital Gold by Nathaniel Popper, chapter 31, notes leading lights of Bitcoin expressing this precise worry at the Bitcoin Pacifica conference in 2014:

edit: goddamn I hate that avatar

Lemme sum that up for you:

Inflation rests at an extremely gentle rate that makes you kinda think twice about hoarding it instead of putting it into the system to outpace inflation a bit. Too much inflation? People burn money to stay warm because it's worthless. Too little inflation? Extreme consumer anxiety and hoarding, if a dollar is two dollars tomorrow I shouldn't spend a cent unless I REALLY have to. Economy flips upside down and collapses.

Bitcoin is extremely deflationary and only truly useful as a laundering vehicle or commodity gamble, it's not a true medium for long term wealth exchange by its nature.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Money functioning the way it does in the US is basically a loving miracle and no one has true control but printing money and quantitative easing is going tentatively "ok" except for the part where like 10 people literally command most of the wealth in the world

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

People incorrectly think that printing money is inherently bad or that the gold standard is good because gold == scarcity and scarcity == finite economy and a finite economy == the only true thing and thus good for some reason.

Their logic is grounded in examples of failed or failing economies. In the past you basically had economists help pull places like Brazil out of the dumpster with some sweet magic tricks, but once that expertise is gone or the wrong people are in the wrong offices, that "expertise" can't get a word in edge wise and when Ergojohn McGusto sees a trend he doesnt like and his tea leaves spell out "print money to make money my man" he goes and does it and has no idea what's going on. As the world crumbles around him and can't pay off debts as his hyper inflated currency is worthless.

A not crippled economy in a global "free market" is dependent on the right people having access to the right levers, which is really hard to do and is basically a temporary state to be in at any point in human history.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

What I'm saying is you should invest all your money into CyberpunkGooseCoin because it's the future because I said so

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

so how do i turn this internet monopoly money into real money i'm ready to invest

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Computer Serf posted:

If you think bitcoin is going to be worthless you can actually bet against it though margin trading so...

Hello fellow EVE player.

It's actually called arbitrage, unless you're meaning some kind of short instrument.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

And Tyler Too! posted:

so how do i turn this internet monopoly money into real money i'm ready to invest

Buy, buy, buy!

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
Sell, sell, sell!

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Hold, hold, hold?

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

sia coins definitely are going to be used for illegal poo poo and will probably end up being worth something because of that.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Stealthgerbil posted:

sia coins definitely are going to be used for illegal poo poo and will probably end up being worth something because of that.

Oh no way, I'm sure business owners are going to love storing their information in distributed nodes instead of Dropbox or Google

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Found in my spam email account, completely unsolicited:

quote:

Hello!

Thanks for creating your wallet at BIT.AC!

Here's your new account details

Username: [spam email account]
Password: [the default password in plain loving text]

Please don't forget to change your password on a regular basis.

Important: it is strongly recommended to use additional security features to protect your wallet. BIT.AC offers
PIN code notifications and two-factor authentication for complete security. Please visit your account settings
page for details.

Sincerely yours,
BIT.AC Team.

Yes, you clearly care a great deal about the security of your wallets. :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Ruggan posted:

Hodl, hodl, hodl?

In true bitcoin spirit.

• Locked thread