Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

GobiasIndustries posted:

assuming you picked it up a second time through, you're ahead of most TVIV posters.

Yeah but

That DICK! posted:

Golden Bee posted:

He even explains to Erin that she did a good part saying her lines.
I was distracted during that part so that explains it

Missing the explicit reveal both times through is pretty bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Platystemon posted:

Missing the explicit reveal both times through is pretty bad.

True.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I think this show is going off the rails

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Also I realized on the rewatch that Irene KNOWS what Jimmy pulled with Erin was an act since Erin opened with "I got her to tell me about what you did," when that obviously didn't happen, which I guess explains that when she looks at him and shakes her head there isn't really a look of terrible betrayal there, more just "huh, you're kinda poo poo, aren't you?"

Why would you say that obviously didn't happen? What obviously happened is Jimmy told Erin his plan and then Erin really did have a talk with Irene so she and the other old ladies wouldn't question how she knew about everything.

But no, Erin obviously couldn't have actually gone and talked with her client. That's just stretching the bounds of plausibility. LOL. TV IV.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Jun 20, 2017

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

That was an excellent finale and a really good season.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
Better Call Saul S4 - Badger Hype

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Trash Trick posted:

I disagree- him getting good at being the hated scumbag lawyer is central to his character. Lying and exploiting your way to gains is different from being in the spotlight and reveling in it.

Yeah this is Jimmy realising that his do gooder persona is unsustainable. He's the very best at being bad. Saul Goodman is fun because he's an 'honest conman' persona, a guy who's obviously going to rip someone off but doesn't try to hide it.

The moment he actually turns into Saul the show is over because that's the end of his arc.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Man, Chuck didn't just quit HHM, he was fired.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

So uh

Did Jimmy plant something in the electrical meter to deliberately drive Chuck insane?

Is that how he responded to Chuck's final barb, and what underlies his fall even as we see him "doing the right thing" elsewhere?

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

God, I'm gonna miss this beautiful show.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Data Graham posted:

So uh

Did Jimmy plant something in the electrical meter to deliberately drive Chuck insane?

Is that how he responded to Chuck's final barb, and what underlies his fall even as we see him "doing the right thing" elsewhere?

No.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Data Graham posted:

So uh

I can't tell if you're serious or if you're trolling. I'm just going to go and say it; no. Very much no. I know Vince and Peter enjoy their misdirection, but something would have had to have been shown beforehand, or after, "Lily of the Valley" style.

And let's not forget the more important part, which is none of that would make one bit of sense if you're actually following the story whatsoever.

Are you watching this show?

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Data Graham posted:

So uh

No. Chuck said what he said to Jimmy to push him away completely. It's not unusual for a depressed, suicidal person to push everyone out of their lives as a justification for going through with it. Jimmy would never do something like that to gently caress with Chuck.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Chuck doesn't understand that he has innate personality flaws, just like Jimmy doesn't see that he can be sincere and decent.

They've been helping each other with blinders on: Chuck flat out doesn't show adequate love to Jimmy and Jimmy indulges in Chuck's "condition" in a casual and, as we saw this season in particular, detached way.

Chuck throws away the one person who can "read" him; the search for "a device driving up the electrical meter" isn't particularly literal...to me anyway.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Anyone else feeling a little over it? I didn't like Jimmy going back on his old lady double cross and undoing all the work of this season to show him slide into Sauls shoes, Chuck killing himself felt out of place, Mike did nothing this season (let's be honest he's the loveable heart of this show) and though I like nacho his Storyline with Salamanca took so many episodes to get where you know it'll go.

BBs greatest strengths were playing with your expectations, always feeling like the characters are smart, and keeping the castlist tight with lots of unexpected criss crossing. I'm not feeling those strengths here at all. I feel like they don't know where to go with this plot and it has no intersectionality anymore (other than characters eventually showing up on BB). At first everyone was intersecting and though it was a hard sell, I believed it that Jimmy met Mike at the gate and Tuco tried to kill him, but now it's as stretched thin as Game of Thrones. You've got all these characters that met a few times they're still all getting camera time, but why? Other than the fact it's a prequel? It's extremely well made, and well acted, but it's feeling a bit.. Self serving at this point and less and less does it stand on its own.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I can't tell if you're serious or if you're trolling. I'm just going to go and say it; no. Very much no. I know Vince and Peter enjoy their misdirection, but something would have had to have been shown beforehand, or after, "Lily of the Valley" style.

And let's not forget the more important part, which is none of that would make one bit of sense if you're actually following the story whatsoever.

Are you watching this show?

I have dumb ideas about shows right when I wake up, it's a thing with me I guess :shrug:

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Jimmy set his brother up to fail professionally, bribed a guy to act like Chuck was crazy, manipulated Chuck into discrediting himself publicly and then made sure other professionals knew about it, ultimately costing Chuck the ability to practice the law he loved so much. I think those actions more than anything else underlie Jimmy's fall. It's just like Chuck said: Jimmy feels remorse about his actions but only after the damage has been done.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Data Graham posted:

So uh

As far as Jimmy knows, Chuck is better. Why would he try and use a condition that Chuck apparently no longer has against him?

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

echronorian posted:

Anyone else feeling a little over it? I didn't like Jimmy going back on his old lady double cross and undoing all the work of this season to show him slide into Sauls shoes, Chuck killing himself felt out of place, Mike did nothing this season (let's be honest he's the loveable heart of this show) and though I like nacho his Storyline with Salamanca took so many episodes to get where you know it'll go.

I agree with this. I didn't buy either Jimmy's or Chuck's behavior this episode. I think this one episode sucked a lot of the wind out of this season, if not the entire series.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
The only thing I didn't buy was Kim not being all that upset about what Jimmy did to Irene. Like, apparently they had an off-screen conversation about it and then it's movie night?

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Awesome finale. I wonder if they meant to mirror last year's (Jimmy's chicanery ends up being exposed by audio device, in completely different ways).

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
gently caress that was almost too much, now the long wait begins.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

The Dennis System posted:

I agree with this. I didn't buy either Jimmy's or Chuck's behavior this episode. I think this one episode sucked a lot of the wind out of this season, if not the entire series.

I feel a bit of this. If I'm going to be generous, I'm thinking that the writers are gradually getting to Kim being his only solid moral compass, since the car accident snapped him straight back to nice guy Jimmy. Chuck roasting might gently caress with him but Kim's gotta 'go' before he'll really go off the rails.

I was more convinced by the scene where Jimmy walked into see Chuck seemingly recovered, than to the suicide. I understand he's lost everything he cares about but it still seems out of character. I hope Hamlin feels guilty, because he was a right loving prick having a mentally ill man clapped out of the building like that. There were way more ways he could have dealt with Chuck than forcing him into retirement and humiliating him. Chucks ashes are on his hands.

The Nacho plotline should have been over and done with in one episode, two max. We all knew where it was going and there were zero surprises. Better yet, don't show it at all and have Mike/Gus figure out what Nacho did after the stroke scene (which should have been 5 episodes ago).

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

It was not not not so great

Veshpo posted:

Chuck going all Gene Hackman at the end of The Conversation on his house was probably the best scene of the series.

Straight down to the saxophone in the soundtrack. It was a haunting sequence.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

There were too many Nacho scenes where his dialog was "whatever you do, don't do the thing you're thinking about, papi" over and over. Jimmy has twice spent all season scrounging money any morally dubious way he can, only to give up the million dollars at the last minute and end up worse than before. I thought all the scenes with Kim, Chuck, and Howard were brilliant, though.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

RJWaters2 posted:

Straight down to the saxophone in the soundtrack. It was a haunting sequence.

I love that the ending theme was redone :allears:

Cnut the Great posted:

The only thing I didn't buy was Kim not being all that upset about what Jimmy did to Irene. Like, apparently they had an off-screen conversation about it and then it's movie night?

I have no problem believing this. He didn't do anything illegal. Though it does suck about the loss of money.

Actually, the more I think about it, Kim should be worried... BUT, they no longer have that office to pay for, and she apparently still has Mesa Verde, so that's good.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The lack of fallout in terms of Kim's clients really surprised me, actually. I was sure losing the oil guy would end up being a huge deal, but turns out he ain't even mad. Sending her steaks and all, and meeting can be rescheduled, and Kim can pass him off to another lawyer, no problem. Really faked out there.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
Theres no way they would use wireless headsets in a place full of old people because it would interfere with their hearing aids and pacemakers. I think that last scene was Irenes last dying dream, and when Jimmy finds out he killed her then he becomes Sal.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I have no problem believing this. He didn't do anything illegal. Though it does suck about the loss of money.

Uh, yeah. The legality isn't what I thought Kim would have an issue with. I was thinking more the "taking advantage of the elderly for financial gain" aspect.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

God that was good, really loving good. This would have been the best show on television this year if it wasn't for David Lynch being unfair and raising the bar impossibly high yet again.

Chuck's annihilation at Howard's hands was so satisfying, but then watching him fall apart and tear apart his house was really distressing, and his ending was phenomenally well done. As always, Chuck was a fantastic character to hate but I'm really gonna miss him, and especially Michael McKean who was incredible in the role.

Jimmy sacrificing his own standing AND his future in Elder Law once his probation was over was really sweet, even if it was a problem of his own making. Kim learned to relax! Nacho pulled off his scam and saved his dad's life! Of course now he's on Gus' radar whichis gonna be interesting, I really can't wait for next season. And I'm gonna miss Michael McKean a whole lot.

lotus circle posted:

Man Gus might have lived through BB if he had let Hector die there.

Yeah I think so. Hector was his ONLY blindspot, Walt would have never been able to get at him without Hector.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

galenanorth posted:

There were too many Nacho scenes where his dialog was "whatever you do, don't do the thing you're thinking about, papi" over and over. Jimmy has twice spent all season scrounging money any morally dubious way he can, only to give up the million dollars at the last minute and end up worse than before. I thought all the scenes with Kim, Chuck, and Howard were brilliant, though.

The whole practicing throwing the pill bottle into the jacket was way overdone

ironically the best part was gus and nacho standing next to each other after Hector's wig out and they totally could have let that simmer but cut away pretty much right away

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
if you don't like scenes where a character does some things while a lot of time passes and there isn't any dialogue, perhaps you should find a different show

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

yeah I really like the way this show lets you watch someone do something- it's a really interesting way to get inside a character's head

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
Strange to me that folks think having him step back some of his manipulation of old ladies was a bad, uncharacteristic moment.

Chuck lays it out pretty plainly in his little rant that this is part of the pattern- Jim needs something, he recklessly manipulates people to get it, he hurts them, he feels remorse and tries to do right, he eventually needs something again. This isn't a misstep at all, but rather just another cycle, and a great way to show us that Kim's his anchor. If he slipped this bad over the past two episodes, it's pretty safe to assume her leaving him for **reason** will be what allows him to become the bb Saul.

My favorite thread of this show is that Jimmy is a really great filmographer and could have probably made a good career with that had he been driven down that path.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

EatinCake posted:

My favorite thread of this show is that Jimmy is a really great filmographer and could have probably made a good career with that had he been driven down that path.

Considering how important his ad campaign was in making him a successful defense attorney, he kind of did.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

What an amazing and exhaustive ending. Such a rollercoaster of emotions and that ending - I thought Chuck was still banging away and then I realized what was happening with the roar of the lantern and the papers everywhere. Just brutal.

I was really happy for Jimmy though - he came through in the end by sacrificing everything for Irene and her friendship. I felt so goddamn bad for her last episode.

So without him knowing he's now $3 million dollars richer unless that cheque was never cashed / burned in the house? I don't think Hamlin signed anything - just, here's a cheque - gently caress off on outta here you psycho bastard.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

I can't believe how positive a note Jimmy and Kim ended the season on. She even knew all about Irene and still no cracks. What the hell is going to tear them apart at this point??

Seems pretty obvious that when they find out what happened with Chuck, Jimmy's going to be either in denial or outright insensitive, and that's gonna be that

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

EatinCake posted:

Strange to me that folks think having him step back some of his manipulation of old ladies was a bad, uncharacteristic moment.

Chuck lays it out pretty plainly in his little rant that this is part of the pattern- Jim needs something, he recklessly manipulates people to get it, he hurts them, he feels remorse and tries to do right, he eventually needs something again. This isn't a misstep at all, but rather just another cycle, and a great way to show us that Kim's his anchor. If he slipped this bad over the past two episodes, it's pretty safe to assume her leaving him for **reason** will be what allows him to become the bb Saul.

What's brilliant is that we actually start to see glimmers of him entering the "remorse" part of this cycle in Breaking Bad. Like after he unknowingly helps Walt poison Brock.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
Did anybody else notice the painting of St Sebastian hanging in Irene's room the past two eps?

In episode 9, Jimmy was making a martyr out of Irene for his own ends, he hung her out and let her get stuck full of arrows so he could play God and get what he wanted.

In the finale, we see Jimmy stepping up to willingly martyr himself instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

EatinCake posted:

The thing for me is they're getting pretty close to beating a dead horse with that point though.

It wouldn't be as much of a disappointment if they hadn't clearly run out of ideas for the other part of the show. As others have pointed out, Mike's story was basically dropped and his scenes turned into boring universe building at the end of this season. They really have nothing to do with Gus because he and the cartel are already in the stalemate we know them to be in during BB. Nacho's machinations against Hector sort of came out of nowhere and the payoff was delivered to us far too cleanly compared to how these things usually go in this world.

To be fair I really enjoyed Howard's arc post meltdown. The scene where he tells Jimmy to bring a tin cup next time is one of the best in the series and a much stronger piece of development for Jimmy than his final scene with Chuck.

• Locked thread