Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Steve Yun posted:

The part of God will be played by a Terry Gilliam cartoon

"Shadow...Shadow Moon..."
"Is that...are you...god?"
"Course it's god! You see anyone else wearing a crown the size of a chip shop 'round here?"
"A lot of people in my life been calling themselves that lately."
"Yeah? Well they can piss right off!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Steve Yun posted:

In my dreams!

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Crow Jane posted:

There are much, much worse ways to spend your time than rewatching Kids in the Hall

Dammit, I'm so bummed this show and Better Call Saul are both ending this week. Gonna have to find something to fill my couch time between now and Game of Thrones

Preacher is about to start up again :unsmith:

They both share contain a reckless Irishman being the best character by far.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Desperado Bones posted:

Actually yes, it's very common among hardcore Catholics (and must catholics), to worship baby Jesus and/or the Virgin Mary (or any of her many versions). I think both figures are very up in importance along with the Christian God himself and grown up Jesus.

Catholics don't worship Mary, we ask her to pray for us (intercession). For the purposes of American Gods it doesn't matter too much, but she would likely be closer to Irish Laura's belief in faeries watching over her and intervening in her life than actual deity worship

Soothing Vapors fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Jun 20, 2017

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

achillesforever6 posted:

I like the fact that in American Gods Santa is basically a loving scab

Yeah.....Saint Nick sold out and now he gets to be a focal point/content for Media during a set period of time. I wonder how powerful he is cause children def seem to worship Santa when they are younger and he follow the old Gods style of "Give a little faith, get a reward".

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Santa would be a good candidate for a "coming to America" segment in the next season. They could even double up on using Ian McShane to play the role. Demonstrate the Old God ethos of give a little worship, get a little answer in pre-industrial Germany then see the world shift its views on him. Modern day Santa has it made, just so long as he never delivers presents, piling up for decades, since it would upset the Invisible Hand of the market.

Henry Crustwheel
Jun 22, 2010

Those should be in separate boxes.

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Santa would be a good candidate for a "coming to America" segment in the next season. They could even double up on using Ian McShane to play the role. Demonstrate the Old God ethos of give a little worship, get a little answer in pre-industrial Germany then see the world shift its views on him. Modern day Santa has it made, just so long as he never delivers presents, piling up for decades, since it would upset the Invisible Hand of the market.

There is no god, but there is a Santa Claus!

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Soothing Vapors posted:

Catholics don't worship Mary, we ask her to pray for us (intercession).

I know it's correct that we pray to saints to ask them to intercede for us with God, but in many ocassions it really, REALLY feels like and it's worshipping. My main example would be our lady of Guadalupe. People put up altars only for her in businesses and homes, her temple in Mexico City gets a hell lot of people and many pray directly to her (some without noticing thinking they are asking for a favor).

She even has a telenovela! in the American Gods' universe she would be a very powerful god(and probably favoring from the new gods), to be honest.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Steve Yun posted:

Will be extremely disappointed when this is not the case.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Desperado Bones posted:

I know it's correct that we pray to saints to ask them to intercede for us with God, but in many ocassions it really, REALLY feels like and it's worshipping. My main example would be our lady of Guadalupe. People put up altars only for her in businesses and homes, her temple in Mexico City gets a hell lot of people and many pray directly to her (some without noticing thinking they are asking for a favor).

She even has a telenovela! in the American Gods' universe she would be a very powerful god(and probably favoring from the new gods), to be honest.

Saints were real people so I don't know how it would work in this universe. Though I suppose historians agree that Jesus was a real person (just not the son of God with divine powers).

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Henchman of Santa posted:

Saints were real people so I don't know how it would work in this universe. Though I suppose historians agree that Jesus was a real person (just not the son of God with divine powers).

Remember that the Virgin I'm talking about wasn't a real person. Juan Diego ,the native that encountered her, was. Yet she is considered a saint.
Death isn't a real person as well and it's considered a saint by many.

Edit: FYI, the word for Holy and Saint is the same in Spanish(santo,santa,san). So I'm probably the one getting a bit confused here :lol:

Desperado Bones fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jun 20, 2017

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
If we don't get a Death of the Endless cameo at some point (even just non-speaking), I'm going to be very surprised.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Paul Bunyan.

Paul fuckin' Bunyan.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

If God himself shows up it would be hilarious if he was played by Morgan Freeman.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Chernabog posted:

If God himself shows up it would be hilarious if he was played by Morgan Freeman.

Well that'd be Media's version of him... :haw:

Jesus' dad is probably reformed Zeus given what we know of Easter?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Soothing Vapors posted:

Catholics don't worship Mary, we ask her to pray for us (intercession). For the purposes of American Gods it doesn't matter too much, but she would likely be closer to Irish Laura's belief in faeries watching over her and intervening in her life than actual deity worship

It may technically be true, but many catholics pray directly to saints to get them to do whatever they are a saint of. Lose your keys? Ask St. Anthony to find them. Need a job? Ask St. Joeseph to find you one.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

It may technically be true, but many catholics pray directly to saints to get them to do whatever they are a saint of. Lose your keys? Ask St. Anthony to find them. Need a job? Ask St. Joeseph to find you one.

There's a saint that you have to do small prayer if you want to find something that got lost,or need, and once you find that object or what you need (a job for example) you have to dance a bit for him. :v: That saint is cool. (the story is that he was a monk that loved to dance while praying, so you now have to gift him a dance as a thank you).

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Quick post to say good job Corben Bernsen as grizzly old Vulcan, completely didn't recognise him, best guess was Terry O'Quinn.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Yahweh was mentioned in some ancient Greco-Roman texts including one by Plutarch that apparently claims he's the equivalent of Dionysus, god of wine, fertility and ritual madness. If Fuller really wants to piss people off...

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

The reformed clergy of Saturn aka the catholic church.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Yahweh is the semitic god of war, so they just just mention that Odin went as Yahweh for a while.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Cojawfee posted:

Yahweh is the semitic god of war, so they just just mention that Odin went as Yahweh for a while.

Then really get the poo poo stirred up by having Asherah show up.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I want to see Samael and Sophia show up, given that the US has the largest and fastest-growing number of Gnostics in the entire world. One could even argue that, while Gnostic Christians are a tiny majority of Overall Christians, they overwhelmingly tend to be much more serious about that belief.

Would also not be surprised if Gaiman worked in a variation of the Pratchett quote "Wizards don't believe in magic because a fish doesn't believe in water", I feel like that sentiment applies to how Media and Tech Boy work; nobody believes in them per se, they are like believing in gravity.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Then really get the poo poo stirred up by having Aslan show up.

:catdrugs:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I mentioned in the other thread that I really like the idea of aging, has-been Victorian Era or turn-of-the-century new gods that have fallen by the wayside. White Man's Burden, Britannia, Nazi Odin, Steam Engine Boy, etc. If moderns inspired a god of iPhones then surely victorians inspired a monocoled god of machine gunning natives for their own good, pip pip jolly chap.

We also need to see Prince Philip as a new god. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Philip_Movement

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I mentioned in the other thread that I really like the idea of aging, has-been Victorian Era or turn-of-the-century new gods that have fallen by the wayside. White Man's Burden, Britannia, Nazi Odin, Steam Engine Boy, etc. If moderns inspired a god of iPhones then surely victorians inspired a monocoled god of machine gunning natives for their own good, pip pip jolly chap.

We also need to see Prince Philip as a new god. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Philip_Movement

For real. It probably isn't feasible to do in a show that only has 8 episodes per season for some reason. I would love to have less special effects for a show that has 20 episode seasons that covers more concepts of gods. We have ancient gods vs modern gods. We need some gods from the 1800s that are just barely getting by with people who fantasize about how things used to be.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
No I do not want Steampunk Gods please don't give Neil Gaiman any ideas, you know he'd do it

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
I want to know what tragic bargain some old god made for relevance that led to the resurgence of the Steampunk aesthetic.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Paul Bunyan.

Paul fuckin' Bunyan.

Has to be Patrick Warburton.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Clearly it was the god of the Industrial Revolution, who would have risen to power at the beginning of the 20th century, and then lost power as things diversified became taken for granted. I mean, He's probably still as powerful, but he's moved from America to overseas production. His deal with Media for continued relevance in America would have been the fetishization of gears and steam power and poo poo.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

JawnV6 posted:

I want to know what tragic bargain some old god made for relevance that led to the resurgence of the Steampunk aesthetic.

"We created brunch. We created dating websites. We created Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura."

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The steampunk scene is full of people who missed or fled from the SCA scene.

They are all terrible.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Henchman of Santa posted:

A lot were, a lot weren't. A bunch of saints are just gods that missionaries turned into saints to help convert the indigenous populations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I think Mexico's La Santa Muerte is a blending of traditional mexican religion with catholicism.

Really that's most christian practices and a lot of saints, but the ones from Europe come from religious traditions so far removed that we often can't recognize them anymore.

Czernobog survived into the middle ages as a slavic portrayal of the devil, for example.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
All of Catholicism is "your religion has *thing*? Well ours also has that. In fact, your thing is actually based on our thing, so you're technically already practicing part of our religion. You might as well join us and make sure you don't go to hell."

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

How long are we waiting for season 2, again?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Not too long I hope. I question the 5 year plan, especially considering Ian McShane's age.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Cojawfee posted:

All of Catholicism is "your religion has *thing*? Well ours also has that. In fact, your thing is actually based on our thing, so you're technically already practicing part of our religion. You might as well join us and make sure you don't go to hell."

In the fine Roman tradition of "Our Gods are also your Gods."

As bad as the Old Gods are, and they are pretty bad, I can't help but like them a whole lot more than the New Gods. If only because they seem to have a much better sense of themselves and talk like humans, as opposed to the NG who all seem to be functionally inhuman creatures.

And Jesus' dad is going to be one of the many Thunder/sky gods of the Levant peoples. El maybe.

I'd love for Marduk to show up though. Like as a proper old timer. One of the first recorded Gods ever and he's in a wheelchair and as ancient as anything.

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jun 21, 2017

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

I EAT LITTLE CHILDREN FOR BREAKFAST !!11!!1!!!!111!
I want some Indian gods. Ganesha and Shiva would be pretty rad!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Would the collective fears of american kids (and those adults who still get antsy when they're alone in the dark sometimes) cause the boogeyman to actually exist?

He'd be like It/Pennywise, shapeshifting through the years to match what kids are afraid of. A demon in the 1700s, Creature from the Black Lagoon in the 50s, Jason in the 80s, etc.