Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Long years have passed since Olmec's sleep was last disturbed, and in that time tales of the Hidden Temple have faded from time and memory. Yet those words of those treasured stories of plunderers plundering storied treasures still echo in the winds of distant mountains and weigh upon the pages of ancient tomes. And where haunting winds blow and tattered pages rustle there are bound to be open ears and eager eyes, belonging to plucky adventurers who would once again explore hallowed halls, discover glimmering artifacts... or perhaps merely uncover new and exciting ways of dying.

You are such an adventurer, just one in a band of several bold glory seekers. Perhaps you were an archaeologist in what will soon feel like a pat life, always chafing at the constraints of academics declaring in haughty tones that indeed, all the true temples have been found. Or perhaps you were a raider of the meager crypts that pass for tombs these days, always picturing a golden hoard at the end that never arrived. Maybe you simply heard a vague rumor from your cousin's rabbi's drug dealer's maid, some half-crazed fever dream of secret cults and stone deities that compelled you to risk your life on a mad gambit. Whatever the reason, it is about to become irrelevant.

Your old life, just like the life of the adventurers before you, is now history.

Either you'll walk out of the Temple reborn, wealthier beyond your wildest dreams, and shrouded in glory. Or you'll walk out of it not at all, doomed to be just another skeleton hunched against unlit walls, a meager warning against your same follies.

The Temple awaits you. Do you dare enter?

The Ninth Layer fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jun 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Welcome!! This is a Mafia game for 12 players.

The setup is as follows:

- 8 Town Adventurers, 4 Scum Temple Guards
- Nightless game. The Temple Guards don't have a kill in this game!
- 6 mason teams. Every player has a mason buddy.
- Executions work on the Duel system. At any point during the day, a player may ##challenge another team to a duel. Once a challenge has been issued, only players on either of the two teams involved in the duel may be executed.

The game ends when all the Temple Guards have been executed, or when the Adventurers no longer outnumber the Temple Guards.

All standard rules apply. No toxxing, editing posts, etc. I will replace lurkers swiftly. Don't be an rear end in a top hat!!

Deadline executions will be decided by plurality vote; whoever has the most votes at the time will be executed. In the event of a tie, the person who reached the tied votecount first will be executed. If the tied votecount was reached via a player unvoting the vote leader, then the former vote leader will still be executed.

This game is based on the original Legends of the Hidden Temple setup by 50 pounds of bread.

---

:siren: This game is OOT-communication heavy!! :siren: Ideally you should have some way to instant message your buddy like over IRC or gtalk or Facebook or Steam or discord or whatever you kids are using these days. I know people like using google docs, but it’s just not the same without instant chatting!

You are welcome and encouraged to post your mason chatlogs in the thread if you think it will be relevant to the game.

Because I want you guys to talk with your buddies, I'm allowing you to sign up with a mason buddy if you want. But remember that your buddy may not share your alignment! Be careful playing with someone you might be helpless to trust!

Remember that your buddy has the same 1 in 3 chance of being scum as anyone else's. But also remember that two-thirds of the time your mason buddy will be a townie too! Use the perspective of your partner to help you work through the game.

All alignment assignments will be random. A team could be made up of no, one, or two Temple Guards depending on the RNG. Keep this in mind when playing.

------

Please sign up with your preference of teams and whether or not you have PMs. I really greatly prefer PMs for role communication but it’s not necessary for this game.

PLAYERLIST

Red Jaguars
1. Jonathan Fisk, town adventurer, drowned crossing the Moat on Day 1
2. Pinterest Mom
Blue Barracudas
3. Sandwolf, town adventurer, fried his skull in the Observatory on Day 5
4. Jamuraan
Green Monkeys
5. Mr. F!
6. Retro Futurist, Temple Guard, triggered the wrong bridge trap in the Pit on Day 4
Orange Iguanas
7. Kashuno, town adventurer, impaled climbing the Steps on Day 2
8. Hal Incandenza
Purple Parrots
9. Bifauxen
10. Moatillata, town adventurer, suffocated in the Crypts on Day 3
Silver Snakes
11. Podima
12. Max

The Ninth Layer fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jul 4, 2017

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

In as jaguar with pmom

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

I'm in

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

What team?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

In with Mags as the monkeys

Go Team Mr.RF

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Ugh ok.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

ok

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Podima and I for silver snakes.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Blue barracudas please

Edit I got the PMs

sephiRoth IRA fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jun 20, 2017

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Max posted:

Podima and I for silver snakes.

This.

Jamuraan
Oct 10, 2005

Jamuraan, J.D. in Critical Reasoning and Logic
Ask me about how good I am at party games! Please god ask me about how good I am at party games!
I've never played in one of these.

Sign me up.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Jamuraan posted:

I've never played in one of these.

Sign me up.

Nice! Team preference?

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

In as a purple parrot :birddrugs:

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Jammy, sign up with Bif.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Retro Futurist posted:

In with Mags as the monkeys

Go Team Mr.RF

Let's do this!

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Max posted:

Jammy, sign up with Bif.

hosed up telling them to sign up with a LOSER while MAFIA SUPERSTARLORD MAESTRO Kashuno does not have a teammate yet

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I was gonna say. P cold, maxwell

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Kashuno posted:

hosed up telling them to sign up with a LOSER while MAFIA SUPERSTARLORD MAESTRO Kashuno does not have a teammate yet

That's just how I roll.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Kashuno posted:

I'll roll with ya bro

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

One spot left. Since Jammy didn't call a team yet it's up to whoever joins next whether they want to be a Barracuda or a Parrot.

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.
Bif, I choose you

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Moatillata posted:

Bif, I choose you

:hfive:

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

And that's our twelve. By process of elimination Jamuraan is a Blue Barracuda along with areyoucontagious.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I'll be sending out PMs soon. The town PM will look like this:

quote:

You are vanilla town.

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.
Confirmed, you wanna do discord or docs bif?

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

After a long trek through careful jungle valleys, your adventurer band soon found the drug dealer's maid's great grandfather's hut, just where she said it would be. The sour old man's face grew yet more puckered once he'd appraised the ragtag travelers with you. After some careful translating, however, your group persuaded him to yield the secret location of the lost trail that would lead to the Hidden Temple.

Reluctantly, the man now leads you along the brushy path. The vegetation is so thick here that you are forced to walk single file, and even then you find yourself getting scraped and jabbed by countless branches. Soon the twists and turns remove any sense of moving in a consistent direction. Steadily the vegetation thickens, crushing all outside light sources into tiny slivers that can only be visible from certain angles. Unspoken among your fellows is the worry that, now that you have embarked on this trail, you might never leave it. But before anyone can voice this horrifying sentiment, light breaks through once again and you find yourself on the edge of a field or clearing.

No, not a clearing, you quickly realize. A moat.

The old man who accompanied you earlier now shuffles nervously. "The rest is left to you," the translator provides for him. "Cross the Moat and you will soon find the Hidden Temple you seek. But be warned..." Your translator falls short for a bit as the man attempts to explain something. "Guards hidden in plain sight... demons made of stone..." Your translator cannot get much further, and eventually the man shakes his head in frustration. "May you survive your doom," he says ominously has he departs into the tunnel of foliage he led you through.

"What now?" someone asks hesitantly. You all glance nervously at each other. The relief at escaping your earlier confinement was short-lived, and now a low dread takes its place. Small bubbles rise from the water, an ominous sign of danger to come. Who among you will dare to ##challenge the moat?

It is now Day 1. With 12 alive, it takes 7 to execute.

Note that while votefinder will still count votes, no votes will be officially counted until a challenge has been declared.

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Votecount for Day 1

Not Voting (12): areyoucontagious, Bifauxnen, Hal Incandenza, Jamuraan, Jonathan Fisk, Kashuno, Max, Moatillata, Mr. F!, Pinterest Mom, Podima, Retro Futurist

With 12 alive, it's 7 votes to execute. There is currently no deadline set.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

The Ninth Layer posted:

Who among you will dare to ##challenge the moat?

I object, our team is clearly being discriminated against

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
:laffo:

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

:ghost: hey gently caress you TNL I'm the one who blackmailed you to do this :ghost:

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

confirming that i am vanilla town

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Sandwolf posted:

:ghost: hey gently caress you TNL I'm the one who blackmailed you to do this :ghost:

2slow. (also I forgot sorry!!!!!!)

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.

The Ninth Layer posted:

Who among you will dare to ##challenge the moat?

You wanna try something killer c'mon give me a try

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.
In order to keep going a long standing mafia tradition I propose we post fridge pics

I'll start

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Hm "you are scum" doesn't look like the Town pm at all!!!

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Moatillata posted:

You wanna try something killer c'mon give me a try

Fight me bitch [b....wait a minute you are kidding around you almost got me

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

##challenge silver snakes

I think taste is scum, challenging a team of two people I don't think will get dunked over him.

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.

Pinterest Mom posted:

##challenge silver snakes

I think taste is scum, challenging a team of two people I don't think will get dunked over him.

Why do you think he is the scum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Because he has brain problems

• Locked thread