Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

How do they know when a baby has a titan power. What if they just never find it. Theres a lot of babies to check and how do they even check it. What if the baby is born on the island instead of in Marley? I guess this hasn't been an issue for so many years because they've kept control of the powers by having them get eaten instead of just dying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:
I'd like to think they burst out of the womb in titan form Alien-style.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

mabels big day posted:

How do they know when a baby has a titan power.

They probably wouldn't. As shown by Eren, whoever inherits a titan power needs to either intentionally or accidentally trigger it before even some of the obvious secondary abilities (fast healing) manifest.

Now, potentially it's something that could be picked out through medical tests even if dormant, and Marley (who have the technology to pick out Eldians from normal humans) conceivably screens their entire Eldian population at a young age for this and other reasons, but if the inheritor popped up on Paradis then it's effectively beyond the reach of either faction for the next several years.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Thoren posted:

Why did the Marleyans assume the Islanders only have two Titans under their power? Isn't it plausible that they'd have taken control of the female Titan too?

They didn't, at least in the translation I read. Zeke guesses the Islanders had "at least" two Titans.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

McTimmy posted:

Bert, Reiner and Zeke have no idea what happened in the inner walls. Armin said they had Annie. Bertolt had no idea if that was true or not. They weren't in contact with Annie because they were secluded away. Now, Bert learned the Survey Corps had deduced Annie's identity, but she could have escaped their grasp. She's Annie, she whooped Eren's titan pretty drat easily after all. Bert even points this out in Shiganshina, that Armin may be lying about them having Annie locked away.
True, but I got the feeling we were talking about now, 4 years later. By now they had to know Annie was done for. And I just realized that if Annie hadn't been caught before then Reiner's decision to out themselves like that ensured that she was doomed. There's no way they wouldn't connect her to them.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

mabels big day posted:

How do they know when a baby has a titan power. What if they just never find it. Theres a lot of babies to check and how do they even check it. What if the baby is born on the island instead of in Marley? I guess this hasn't been an issue for so many years because they've kept control of the powers by having them get eaten instead of just dying.

Take all the babies, give them a superficial cut, wait to see which baby starts smoking.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

if you're born with a titan power, do you just drop dead at 13 years old or what

imagine a toddler with a scrapped knee who's really determined to grab a cookie off the counter and suddenly he turns into a titan

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Manatee Cannon posted:

if you're born with a titan power, do you just drop dead at 13 years old or what

That'd be my guess.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Manatee Cannon posted:

imagine a toddler with a scrapped knee who's really determined to grab a cookie off the counter and suddenly he turns into a titan

If you're born with it it might be 13 years from the first transformation.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Did they actually say it was a baby? I thought it was just that some Eldian would get the power.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

The translation I saw of chapter 88 specified that the titan power would be suddenly inherited by a baby in that situation. IDK about other translations.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

GodFish posted:

Did they actually say it was a baby? I thought it was just that some Eldian would get the power.

It will go to a new born Eldian child, regardless of distance or blood relation.

Myok
Apr 8, 2005

Technology on the brain.
Pillbug

Conspiratiorist posted:

They probably wouldn't. As shown by Eren, whoever inherits a titan power needs to either intentionally or accidentally trigger it before even some of the obvious secondary abilities (fast healing) manifest.

That reminds me, way back in Season One Episode Three before the titan power reveal, the anime showed steam rising as Eren's head wound healed. Haven't seen that mentioned, though I may have missed it in 300+ pages of thread catch-up reading.

It's more visible in motion but I only have screenshot capability right now.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

I was anime only through the end of S2 and powered through the manga in basically a day. Watching it I thought Ymir died after the battle in the tower at night and I was so mad I nearly dropped the show and now I catch up and see she got scronked off screen a chapter ago. gently caress this :negative:

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Saw this post in the anime thread:

Kytrarewn posted:

Given that the commands aren't verbal, but rather some sort of ESP thing, my best guess is that they knew instinctively knew there was a coordinate, and followed some sort of draw to make their way to him. Look at the number of times they wound up coincidentally showing up exactly where Eren happened to be (this includes Ymir). The town where he grew up, joining the same military training corps, showing up at the gate at Trost directly in front of Eren, Annie showing up in the same refugee camp as Eren/Mikasa/Armin in episode 2 or whenever it was, etc.
and stopped myself mid-answer. Would it be a spoiler to tell him that the reason why the warriors attacked the same town Eren happened to grow up in is perfectly mundane, without going into any detaills?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Be a dick and just say it's for the same reason Grisha's basement is there.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Aumanor posted:

Saw this post in the anime thread:

and stopped myself mid-answer. Would it be a spoiler to tell him that the reason why the warriors attacked the same town Eren happened to grow up in is perfectly mundane, without going into any detaills?

Confirming/denying anything that hasn't been explicitly laid out in the story is technically a spoiler because it's one less direction the story could possibly go.

Green Tea Erotica
May 5, 2010

Anything you can do I can do BETTER
The anime thread has been delivering entertainment daily for me. I'm bummed the new season is over, and the thread will die down with theories and discussion soon.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I bummed that the season is over because the end credits were rad as hell.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Finished the anime the other day, and am finally caught up with the manga again. I think the story starts really getting really hit or miss once the civil war stuff started, and the reveal of what was in the basement was a bit disappointing to me, though I'm enjoying the recent focus on post-timeskip Reiner's character. The timeskip in general adds a bit of the mystery back that I initially enjoyed from the story.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Has there been any discussion here over why they show the animals and their hearts during the opening of Season 2? I mean, they littered spoiler graphics all over the opening and closing that anime-only viewers wouldn't understand, same as Season 1, and with explaining some things about Ymir that we hadn't known before, it's obvious they aren't afraid to reveal new information in the anime that manga readers wouldn't know. Makes me wonder if the animal heart stuff is a hint at something readers don't know yet.

Raxivace posted:

Finished the anime the other day, and am finally caught up with the manga again. I think the story starts really getting really hit or miss once the civil war stuff started, and the reveal of what was in the basement was a bit disappointing to me, though I'm enjoying the recent focus on post-timeskip Reiner's character. The timeskip in general adds a bit of the mystery back that I initially enjoyed from the story.
Yeah my problem with the basement reveal is that it took so long to get to, it gave you enough time to speculate something close to what was revealed. I think the time skip is a way better reveal, letting us in on so much about how Marley operates. It probably would have played out better to have the basement reveal but leave out some key information about the presiding king and then have the uprising arc and use it to reveal said key information.
gently caress I can't even remember what the uprising arc revealed other than Historia is the true Queen and Levi came from the underground city.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Jun 20, 2017

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The uprising arc also gave you some of the Ackerman stuff about Levi and Mikasa and I guess Kenny.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

DaveKap posted:

Has there been any discussion here over why they show the animals and their hearts during the opening of Season 2? I mean, they littered spoiler graphics all over the opening and closing that anime-only viewers wouldn't understand, same as Season 1, and with explaining some things about Ymir that we hadn't known before, it's obvious they aren't afraid to reveal new information in the anime that manga readers wouldn't know. Makes me wonder if the animal heart stuff is a hint at something readers don't know yet.

Yeah my problem with the basement reveal is that it took so long to get to, it gave you enough time to speculate something close to what was revealed. I think the time skip is a way better reveal, letting us in on so much about how Marley operates. It probably would have played out better to have the basement reveal but leave out some key information about the presiding king and then have the uprising arc and use it to reveal said key information.
gently caress I can't even remember what the uprising arc revealed other than Historia is the true Queen and Levi came from the underground city.

Basically that they were intentionally keeping progress down

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

DaveKap posted:

It's basic imagery. Every living being - humans, animals, titans - all have their hearts shown beating even when they fight and eat each other. Everyone struggles for survival, and it's by struggling, not sitting cooped behind walls of imagined safety, that they're truly "alive". Even the giants that crush the humans beneath their feet in their advance and destroy their "hearts" are still alive.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Man I can't wait to see Kenny animated

His rootin-tootin' entrance being all YEE HAW better be earmarked for their "good animation" budget

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

It's been a few years since I read the manga, but I remember being bored to death over a ton of political stuff that I think picks up where the anime just ended. If this is true I hope they condense it and get back to meat mech battles quickly.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

They would have to condense the uprising arc a lot if they're actually going up to the end of volume 22 like the trailer teased.

However I reread it recently, and I still really like that arc, despite how different from everything else it is.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Saagonsa posted:

They would have to condense the uprising arc a lot if they're actually going up to the end of volume 22 like the trailer teased.

However I reread it recently, and I still really like that arc, despite how different from everything else it is.

Eh, 40 chapters can fit just fine in 25 episodes.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I liked that arc, tho to be fair I did get to read it all in one sitting rather than having it drop fed to me one chapter per month

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
The politics stuff kicked rear end, but I also read it in mostly one go.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Same, binged it and it wasn't bad.

Green Tea Erotica
May 5, 2010

Anything you can do I can do BETTER
Only reason I don't like the arc was it seemed (and I have not gone back to read it recently so I may be very wrong) a lot of the mystery/questions and then eventual answers were set-up and knocked down in that Arc.
Not much is resolved outside of the Arc aside from the Background of Historia.
I felt the Arc really fell short for me because it raised questions I didn't have before, and answered them within 3-4 chapters.

But I'd be lying if I didn't say the Action near the end of the Arc wasn't some of the hypest poo poo in the Manga. (Levi disassembling all the Titans to Monkey Trouble IS the hyper-est poo poo though)

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Conspiratiorist posted:

Eh, 40 chapters can fit just fine in 25 episodes.

Considering that they only fit 34 chapters in 25 episodes, and 16 in 12, they'd have to condense stuff or just pick up the pacing in general to get to the end.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Hehe, these silly wall people, rushing to their death. Not that i left them any choice with my meticulous trap and superior planning :smug:
Wait where's my entire encirclement on the right side?

I'll be pissed if they don't spend at least 20% of the season's budget on that scene

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

1 chapter a month for political arc was a real slog. Eren strung up to the walls for 6 months about to be eaten while we have to watch the SL fight Kenny's gang of nobodies.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Green Tea Erotica posted:

Only reason I don't like the arc was it seemed (and I have not gone back to read it recently so I may be very wrong) a lot of the mystery/questions and then eventual answers were set-up and knocked down in that Arc.
Not much is resolved outside of the Arc aside from the Background of Historia.

I don't agree with this at all. One of the biggest mysteries of series was "how much does the government know, and how and why did that knowledge lead them to develop society in the manner they have?"

I felt that arc resolved that question very satisfactory.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Saagonsa posted:

Considering that they only fit 34 chapters in 25 episodes, and 16 in 12, they'd have to condense stuff or just pick up the pacing in general to get to the end.

picking up the pacing for the political arc wouldn't be that hard imo

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
The only bad thing about the uprising arc is it feels very rushed towards the end, and Levi squad end up not doing all that much because Hange solves everything herself.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Things I look forward to in S3:

Yee-haw!

Armin's face after he realizes he's said some supremely hosed up poo poo as if it was completely normal

Historia

Turkey Titan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

In It For The Tank posted:

and Levi squad end up not doing all that much because Hange solves everything herself.

That ruled, though.