Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Post your controversial opinions about games or game related products that goes against the hivemind of society. I'll start.

I'm not real big on Fallout New Vegas. I've tried to get into it multiple times but I just don't get why it's everyone's big favorite. Same with Alpha Protocol. It's not even the bugs or the jank, I just don't see why it's lauded so much. I'm assuming it's me and I'm playing them wrong but I don't get much out of either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

I loved Alpha Protocol and just finished New Vegas for a second time. It's because those games are loving masterpieces of role-playing created by the ubermenschen of Obsidian Entertainment, you uncultured swine

I don't understand how most console shooters are a thing. If it's got a lock-on like Metroid Prime or something I can deal with it, but your standard shootmans just feel like dogshit to play. It's like your floating-camera-character is embedded in molasses, and playing on a TV from a couch makes first-person feels like looking through a tube.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Planescape: Torment better be drat grateful that it has some of the best writing ever seen in a video game.

Because everything else in that game SUUUUUUUUUCKS.

I like Super Mario Sunshine over 64 or Galaxy. I kinda don't like Galaxy very much at all. The level design is almost as weird and annoying as the wiimote centric controls.

For the most part, I enjoy the support convos on FE: Awakening and Fates and think they get poo poo on way too much. (I agree that the plots of Conquest and Revelation are hella bad though).

Pokemon Uranium is ok. It's flawed, but it's a fangame. Watching the chat rip apart the game's tiniest issues in OFS's LP got a bit annoying. They also have many valid criticisms of course, but it was nothing that crashed the experience for me personally.

Gen 1 Pokemon are overrated and Gen 5 is the best gen, even if half the pokemon are just analogues for gen 1 pokemon. You think this wouldn't make sense since that would mean Gen 5 pokemon would be overrated as well. But Gen 5 isn't rated as highly as gen 1 so it evens out.

Bethesda RPGs (of which I will include Fallout: NV despite not being developed by them) are the best video games on the planet and every year I don't get more is a year wasted. (gently caress The Evil Within 2 and it's stupid yogurt dimension, stay your loving lane).

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Jun 20, 2017

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Motion controls have ruined nintendo's past 3 consoles

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

chrono trigger's one of the worst jrpgs ive ever played, and ive played almost every jrpg ever made

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
The Witcher 3 just isn't very fun to play. Geralt's kind of boring and the combat gets really old after awhile. I mean, the skill system is nice and all, but it really doesn't change up the combat all that much from what I've seen. Also way too much inventory management, but that just seems to be a problem with the genre in general.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Breath of the Wild's game world is still too large

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.
HotS is the only acceptable MOBA because it does away with most of the spergy bullshit and focuses on what makes these games interesting in the first place: diverse heroes that all have their own strengths and weaknesses.

BattleRite is even better because it leaves out ALL the bullshit and just does teamfights, but it's playerbase is too small, mostly because it's purely skillshots and you can't blame your team for being a nublet that can't hit the broad side of a barn.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

there#'s oinly one fuckin good game in the world and that's the Sucking Dick in the Shed game.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

there#'s oinly one fuckin good game in the world and that's the Sucking Dick in the Shed game.

listen up guys, #1 ranked worldwide shed dick sucker has spoken

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nintendo hasn't made a good game since the N64 because its all "lol so kawaii cute" trash or "look how totally radical we are guys" games that control like poo poo (arms Splatoon)

Also Nier Automata is a bad game.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Das Butterbrot posted:

HotS is the only acceptable MOBA because it does away with most of the spergy bullshit and focuses on what makes these games interesting in the first place: diverse heroes that all have their own strengths and weaknesses.

BattleRite is even better because it leaves out ALL the bullshit and just does teamfights, but it's playerbase is too small, mostly because it's purely skillshots and you can't blame your team for being a nublet that can't hit the broad side of a barn.

HotS is garbage, if you take all the spergy bullshit out of a MOBA, there's nothing left.

Battlerite is passable but it's a poor, molasses-ified shadow of its precursor, Bloodline Champions.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

ChrisBTY posted:

Planescape: Torment better be drat grateful that it has some of the best writing ever seen in a video game.

Because everything else in that game SUUUUUUUUUCKS.

This isnt controversial at all, and I think everyone agrees with it.

Endorph posted:

chrono trigger's one of the worst jrpgs ive ever played, and ive played almost every jrpg ever made

This OTOH is just crazy. Even if you hate the gameplay, story, characters and fights I think the art and music being so good would put it at a 5 outta 10 on that merit alone.

Meme Emulator fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jun 20, 2017

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Cross is better than Trigger.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Phantasium posted:

Cross is better than Trigger.

This opinion is in the right place.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I have another one. I liked ME: 3 since launch day and think it's only gotten better since all the DLC came out. Furthermore, the outrage from people made them seem like big babies and some like actual crazy people.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Meme Emulator posted:

This OTOH is just crazy. Even if you hate the gameplay, story, characters aad fights I think the art and music being so good would put it at a 5 outta 10 on that merit alone.
the music in ct is decent but nowhere near uematsu's best work save for corridors of time (which is really good) and while the sprite work's pretty good the designs aren't really that great outside of magus and his crew.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Whilst playing Mario Kart 8 I often wonder how the seats smelled after the races. Especially so for characters like Peach and Yoshi.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Got some serious concerns about the new Xboxes RAM.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
Never liked the Gamecube family and I am happy to have skipped straight to the Switch. The fault wasn't that much because of the hardware itself (even if the Wii was laughably underpowered and whoever bought it was outright scammed) but so much that Nintendo games weren't even remotely comparable to AAA Ps2 games and that's shameful since Nintendo invented the Open world games and taught the others how to loving create 3D videogames.

Basically every dickhead who looks at Wind Waker with rose tinted glasses needs to be fed with his own Breath of the Wild cart.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
I also spent 900 hours on Destiny and I don't regret it at all.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Breath of the Wild has loving atrocious combat and controls. Completely awful. It's a decent game otherwise but the hyperbolic praise is baffling. Cue the next generation of games thinking open world navigating is 'saved' by making your protagonist ascend walls like spider man.

Nier: Automata was OK. The story and combat were fun enough to make me reach Ending E, but I still found myself disappointed because I only picked up the game after reading the tear-stained goon accounts of how moving and innovative and unique this beautiful work of art is. Come onnnnnnn.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Is this an unpopular opinion thread or a shameful confession thread? Should I be talking about how much dark souls sucks because it's not actually difficult or talking about how I've never played dark souls I just watched an abbreviated let's play.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
Spec Ops: The Line sucks a lot, both as a story and as a game.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Spikeguy posted:

Same with Alpha Protocol.

Alpha Protocol is a bad game with terrible gameplay and a poo poo UI. Another goon 'favorite' that is poo poo is Binary Domain.

Disproportionate Orphan
Apr 17, 2009
Crafting is a blight on games. It's almost never fun, and it's ubiquitous, now.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Plebian Parasite posted:

Is this an unpopular opinion thread or a shameful confession thread? Should I be talking about how much dark souls sucks because it's not actually difficult or talking about how I've never played dark souls I just watched an abbreviated let's play.

I loved Dark Souls. I loved Dark Souls 2. I have never gone and done the DLCs for any of them. I thought it would be different with Dark Souls 3 so I got the Season Pass. I played Dark Souls 3 to completion twice. I started Ashes of Ariande or whatever the gently caress and honestly couldn't get into it. Just...blah.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Dark souls 2 dlc is the best gaming in the dark souls series

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Disproportionate Orphan posted:

:agreed:

E: To be exact, sometimes it's OK but it's the fact that every single game needs to have it is awful.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah Zelda is nothing special and would've been better if it was linear.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I've never gotten more than half an hour into any Metal Gear game except Revengeance because I suck at/hate stealth games. Ditto the Hitman, Thief and Splinter Cell series.
Thankfully Dishonored/2, Deus Ex and now Prey give you actual options; you don't have to play stealth if you don't want to.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I never beat Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, and never will because they're honestly not good games. Morrowind is the best of the three games but it looked like rear end since day one and it's unplayable now. Especially with the archaic hit/miss system killing immersion.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

jokes posted:

I never beat Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, and never will because they're honestly not good games. Morrowind is the best of the three games but it looked like rear end since day one and it's unplayable now. Especially with the archaic hit/miss system killing immersion.

:same: on this; I cheated through Fallout 3/NV/4 because I love the world but can't stand the Bethesda RPG systems.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

I've outgrown the Final Fantasy series completely. FF6, 7, 9 hold a special place in my heart, and I enjoyed some of the others I've played.

Then I played 13, and was bored and uninterested in what was going on. I don't even think I made it halfway through.

Then I saw videos and screenshots of 15, and saw it was 4 pretty anime boys on a bachelor party road trip, and I realized the series just wasn't for me any more. I don't know if my tastes have changed, or if the series went in a direction I can no longer jam too, or a combination of both.

Nothing against those who still like the series, but it's no longer my cup of tea.

Rich Uncle Chet fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jun 20, 2017

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Blizzard is probably the worst game dev on the planet, they don't do anything but turn good ideas from other devs into a sparkly manipulative garbage for the easily fascinated and they're almost singlehandedly responsible for the worst trends in gaming.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Plebian Parasite posted:

Blizzard is probably the worst game dev on the planet, they don't do anything but turn good ideas from other devs into a sparkly manipulative garbage for the easily fascinated and they're almost singlehandedly responsible for the worst trends in gaming.

World of Warcraft has one of the doofiest overarching stories I've ever seen in a game and I've played every Final Fantasy.

e: I think like 99% of the reason I can't stand Blizzard is Chris Metzen honestly

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Plebian Parasite posted:

I have played Overwatch more than any other FPS on PC in the last 5 years. I've played StarCraft more than any other RTS ever. I've played WoW more than any other MMO ever.

This isn't like a counterpoint or anything, I'm just confessing that I am one of the garbage-consuming, easily fascinated people. The storylines are always, 100% awful and the big-shoulder artstyle is atrocious, but the gameplay is always good. Overwatch is the best Blizzard approach to story-telling: not including a story (and not letting Chris Metzen touch it).

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Spec Ops: The Line sucks a lot, both as a story and as a game.

Disproportionate Orphan posted:

jokes posted:

Plebian Parasite posted:

Nothing wrong with any of these confessions. Spec Ops The Line especially, snarky loading screens that go "I bet you ENJOY all this killing" is about as surface level as you can get. The immaturity of gaming as a medium is extremely obvious when the games people push forward as having Big Ideas and Deep Themes are things like Bioshock and Spec Ops The Line

Kelp Me! posted:

World of Warcraft has one of the doofiest overarching stories I've ever seen in a game and I've played every Final Fantasy.

e: I think like 99% of the reason I can't stand Blizzard is Chris Metzen honestly

Get this. Theres a good person, but then they get corrupted and become a Bad Person

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Meme Emulator posted:

Nothing wrong with any of these confessions. Spec Ops The Line especially, snarky loading screens that go "I bet you ENJOY all this killing" is about as surface level as you can get. The immaturity of gaming as a medium is extremely obvious when the games people push forward as having Big Ideas and Deep Themes are things like Bioshock and Spec Ops The Line

Get this. Theres a good person, but then they get corrupted and become a Bad Person

Counterpoint: a lot of the "games as art" games are trash

People went loving apeshit over Braid but it wasn't really that good of a game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disproportionate Orphan
Apr 17, 2009

Mordja posted:

:agreed:

E: To be exact, sometimes it's OK but it's the fact that every single game needs to have it is awful.

Yes, exactly. Morrowind's broken spellcrafting system was fun, but I can't think of much else. But later on when you get to Skyrim, weapon and armorsmithing are tedious.

• Locked thread