Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's just an organic computer, that's all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

If any of you were looking to buy an 1080Ti FE to slap a waterblock on, I'm selling mine. It's an EVGA, which has the best warranty service and won't void your warranty for taking off the stock cooler.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3820948

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
Sea hawk best hawk.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

VulgarandStupid posted:

If any of you were looking to buy an 1080Ti FE to slap a waterblock on, I'm selling mine. It's an EVGA, which has the best warranty service and won't void your warranty for taking off the stock cooler.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3820948

Just curious, what are you replacing that card with? Vegalol? [edit] oh, bad for watercooling

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

redeyes posted:

Just curious, what are you replacing that card with? Vegalol? [edit] oh, bad for watercooling

Probably just a EVGA 1080Ti SC.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

VulgarandStupid posted:

Probably just a EVGA 1080Ti SC.

Don't you have a custom loop? The Sea Hawk 1080ti came out last week, pricing on it is much better than the original pricing for the Sea Hawk 1070/1080, not much of a delta over good AIBs.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

rage-saq posted:

Don't you have a custom loop? The Sea Hawk 1080ti came out last week, pricing on it is much better than the original pricing for the Sea Hawk 1070/1080, not much of a delta over good AIBs.

My case has no fan mounts. None.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

VulgarandStupid posted:

My case has no fan mounts. None.

Whoops, I didn't specify, I meant the Sea Hawk 1080ti EK came out last week, I got mine in on Wednesday. Its not very useful if you don't have a custom loop.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

rage-saq posted:

Whoops, I didn't specify, I meant the Sea Hawk 1080ti EK came out last week, I got mine in on Wednesday. Its not very useful if you don't have a custom loop.

Or places to mount fans or radiators.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

VulgarandStupid posted:

Or places to mount fans or radiators.

Well, that would imply you don't have a custom loop. You might not have any spots to mount more fans or radiators because all the spots were filled with fans and radiators.
You didn't specify either way and you were posting in the water cooling thread so I misinterpreted what you saying by posting about the EVGA being a good card for waterblocks etc thinking you may have had a custom loop already. Sorry for the confusion.

It was also a good excuse for me to show off my awesome new 1080ti

ufarn
May 30, 2009
The PCI-e cables from my Seasonic PSU to my GPU are obscenely long.

Is there a trustworthy places to buy some shorter cables guaranteed to not light my house on fire?

I'm not getting into cable-braiding and all that stuff just yet, I just don't like the cables sticking out everywhere in a case with everything else neatly ordered.

The SATA power cable I can at least fit behind.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Cablemod

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I'm building my first water-cooled computer, and I have a couple newbie questions.

1) Does a water-cooled computer need to be left on 24/7? To keep the coolant flowing and prevent too much sediment from building up?

2) When I was taking apart the graphics card to attach the water block, I think I might have broken a soldered piece on the back -- sorry, I don't know the terminology, but it was like a 2-mm long soldered contact between two points. Exactly how hosed am I?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Solumin posted:

I'm building my first water-cooled computer, and I have a couple newbie questions.

1) Does a water-cooled computer need to be left on 24/7? To keep the coolant flowing and prevent too much sediment from building up?

2) When I was taking apart the graphics card to attach the water block, I think I might have broken a soldered piece on the back -- sorry, I don't know the terminology, but it was like a 2-mm long soldered contact between two points. Exactly how hosed am I?

About 2, got a pic?

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

About 2, got a pic?

The thing circled in red. On my card, it's not there anymore, and you can see the two points it was connecting.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

It might still work....

The other option if it doesn't is to attempt RMA, or, particularly if you still have the component that came off and it's intact find a repair cafe in your area and see if someone can solder it back on.

http://repaircafe.org/en/visit

There might be other services like that too.

I don't know how likely an RMA would be. Maybe someone else has some better advice.

I'd just solder it back on but it's tricky if you haven't done that kind of thing with small SMD components, if the component broke when it came off would have to find a replacement.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jun 10, 2017

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
It's an EVGA 1080 Ti FE, so the warranty isn't voided by adding a water cooler, but is probably voided by me messing it up.

It's annoying that I won't know if it works or not until I get the water loop fully setup and filled. :/

I'll see if I can find the part -- it's literally only a couple mm long, but maybe. There's a Repair Cafe almost literally down the street, so I'll check that out. Thank you!

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I hope you find it. It might work anyway.

They might be able to help you hunt down a replacement component if it doesn't work / lost or if the component is snapped which happens sometimes.

Please let us know how you get on.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I did manage to find it, so that's something at least!

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
You can tell this is on the opposite side of a memory module on the board, so depending on what function it does that memory module could be either lacking proper power delivery or be outright disconnected from the GPU. If it is part of the power delivery, it wouldn't be the only pin for that so the card could still possibly work although the memory may become unstable at higher frequencies, but if it is a trace to the GPU itself the card may be unable to initialize the module at all and the system would fail POST. I doubt powering it on to find out one way or another would cause any further damage the card so no harm in testing, but even if it does still work I would get it fixed just to be safe for the long term. Also be aware that parts like these often have a proper polarity, so when it is soldered back on it has to be oriented correctly or it won't work.

Now with the 1080 Ti, one memory module is missing (this board is the same board as the Titan Xp which would have all 12 modules populated), I don't know how nvidia bins these chips and if the memory is always missing from M12 where as you chipped that part of off M8. But if there is no memory chip in that location on the other side of the board, then damaging that component would likely be harmless. Also even if the part is cracked or broken, you can probably safely harvest one off of the empty memory channel to replace the damaged one.

Indiana_Krom fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Jun 10, 2017

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I believe M12 is always missing on the 1080 TIs.

Good news is I dropped the card off at a repair shop, they said they might be able to fix it.

Bad news is I noticed I had knocked off a second capacitor on a different memory bank, and I couldn't find that one. I mentioned to the repair person the possibility of harvesting spare parts from the empty M12, if it comes to that. It's possible that the card has enough built-in redundancy that it'll be fine, but we'll see! Thank you both for the help.

Next time I'm getting a Seahawk or just sticking with an AIO. :v:

---

Any answers for my other question about the necessity of keeping the pump running?

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Unnecessary, you can turn off a water cooled PC the same as an air cooled one, there shouldn't be any significant sediment in a good loop. The worst you should get is the occasional air bubble noise on startup if there has been a drop in atmospheric pressure recently while it was off (dissolved air forming bubbles), however the reservoir should capture it all within a few seconds and it will be back to normal.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
That's what I was hoping to hear, thanks!

I'm not using any dyes or anything either, which should reduce the amount of sediment.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm honestly a little curious how you knocked two off, they're a little difficult to hit...

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I was entirely too careless when unscrewing the hex bolts that are right next to them. Simple as that.

....OK, I didn't have the proper bit for removing the hex bolt, so I used pliers. Yes, I was extremely careless and should have waited to buy the correct tool for the job.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
I'm also somewhat curious how you managed to do that much damage on card that ships with a back plate, but then I looked at a disassembly video and saw the plate and the cooler are held on by separate sets of screws.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AQ5R23FIHU

Also worth noting that M11 is empty in the card in that video, so looks like nvidia is actually binning defects here instead of just always disabling the same channel.

Edit. Ah, well that is a $700 mistake you probably won't soon repeat. FYI a trip to the local hardware store will usually turn up a decent set of screw driver bits in both imperial and metric for less than $20, so probably a good idea to have them on hand (especially when dealing with PC water coolers which often results in a significant mix of both standards in the case).

Indiana_Krom fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jun 11, 2017

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Ouch. I've fallen prey to those impulses before, but luckily never anything too expensive...

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I thought I had the right size, but didn't. I wasn't prepared for hex bolts that small, and like I said, I should have waited and bought the right tool.

Still, the card is possibly salvageable, so hopefully it'll only be a ~$100 mistake. If not, I guess this build will have to go on the backburner for a while.

I'll be extra careful and try to make sure nothing worse happens during this build. :v:

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Solumin posted:

The thing circled in red. On my card, it's not there anymore, and you can see the two points it was connecting.

That is an incredibly easy fix for someone with microsoldering stuff. Any chance you found the resistor you broke off?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Solumin posted:

I thought I had the right size, but didn't. I wasn't prepared for hex bolts that small, and like I said, I should have waited and bought the right tool.

Still, the card is possibly salvageable, so hopefully it'll only be a ~$100 mistake. If not, I guess this build will have to go on the backburner for a while.

I'll be extra careful and try to make sure nothing worse happens during this build. :v:

It's one of those things you only do once when you really want it done right that minute.

Heh I'm just glad I've only done it once with other peoples hardware, when I was a repair tech :v:

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

redeyes posted:

That is an incredibly easy fix for someone with microsoldering stuff. Any chance you found the resistor you broke off?

I found it, but unfortunately I had actually broken off 2 of them. I haven't found the second one, and I've given it up as a loss.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

It's one of those things you only do once when you really want it done right that minute.

Heh I'm just glad I've only done it once with other peoples hardware, when I was a repair tech :v:

I've had friends ask me to help build their computers and man knowing my track record I don't know if I'd be comfortable with that. So much money can be thrown away pretty easily!

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My fixit toolkit had a nice bit set that's served me well so far

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Solumin posted:

I've had friends ask me to help build their computers and man knowing my track record I don't know if I'd be comfortable with that. So much money can be thrown away pretty easily!

Just make sure they know it's their risk and go for it.
I don't build PC's for other people anymore though because if you do, they can expect you to support it for ever and it's a PITA.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

I kind of feel like breaking a PC component when doing your first custom loop is pretty much a rite of passage, but maybe I'm just trying to feel better about how clumsy and careless I was the first time.

And the second.

I learned an important lesson that you don't just trust your hand-screwed in barbs. Take a spanner and give it another quarter turn.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

quote:

I learned an important lesson that you don't just trust your hand-screwed in barbs. Take a spanner and give it another quarter turn.

This was me but with oil filters. That engine squirted like it was prom night.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I'm hoping compression fittings work better than barbs. They seemed, I don't know, neater? More reliable?

eames
May 9, 2009

What's the minimum maintenance required for a "custom loop" these days? How do you guys protect against pump failures with 24/7 setups, is it feasible to run two pumps in with Y-pieces in "failover" mode?

I don't necessarily want to get into watercooling (my last watercooled CPU was a Athlon Thunderbird) but the new overclocked X299 processors with 350W+ TDP wouldn't leave me much choice.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

eames posted:

What's the minimum maintenance required for a "custom loop" these days? How do you guys protect against pump failures with 24/7 setups, is it feasible to run two pumps in with Y-pieces in "failover" mode?

I don't necessarily want to get into watercooling (my last watercooled CPU was a Athlon Thunderbird) but the new overclocked X299 processors with 350W+ TDP wouldn't leave me much choice.

I don't use any sort of backups or anything. My pump "just works," and I've flushed the system once. Afaik, the whole setup has been relatively hassle-free.

DDC pump+res, water and gpu block, 240 and 360mm radiators, all in series.

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy

eames posted:

Minimum is replacing your coolent every 12 months, having a look for very slow leaks every 6months ( just look inside for dry coolent) and as for pumps if your running a 24/7 system that never stops you can set up dual pumps in series in the loops and have them run off a controller that can sound a alarm if one fails and or turn the pc off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Graphics card update: Ended up getting it professionally repaired. Hopefully it'll have a good few years of life. It was expensive enough to make me feel bad, but still cheaper than trying to get a whole new card.

Currently doing my first leak test! :woop: I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop, like a tube coming loose and spraying water everywhere or something. It can't be going this smoothly.