Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Leak tests actually aren't too bad as far as I remember. Generally if you didn't do it right, you know quickly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Paper towels everywhere.

My first ever loop I leaked right onto my motherboard. Fun times.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

PerrineClostermann posted:

Leak tests actually aren't too bad as far as I remember. Generally if you didn't do it right, you know quickly

(from earlier in this thread.)

There's one tube that's got me a little worried, but it's holding fine. Another one has a connector stuck behind the radiator, so I hope that one doesn't need to be fixed any time soon.

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Paper towels everywhere.

My first ever loop I leaked right onto my motherboard. Fun times.

Yup, currently have a nice layer of towels down!

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Solumin posted:

Graphics card update: Ended up getting it professionally repaired. Hopefully it'll have a good few years of life. It was expensive enough to make me feel bad, but still cheaper than trying to get a whole new card.

Currently doing my first leak test! :woop: I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop, like a tube coming loose and spraying water everywhere or something. It can't be going this smoothly.

My first leak test resulted in a fountain. A rigid tube that was just a haaaair to short. It went into the slot and looked fine from the outside, but had a tiny seam.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Solumin posted:

(from earlier in this thread.)

:stonklol:

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

And this is a youtube professional computer guy!

Given that the RAM is lighting up as he powers the pump... does that mean he's got his loving motherboard plugged in while filling!?

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Deuce posted:

And this is a youtube professional computer guy!

Given that the RAM is lighting up as he powers the pump... does that mean he's got his loving motherboard plugged in while filling!?

lol he must have it plugged in. I can't really tell but it looks like just beneath the ram he's got the 20 pin in.

Poor bastard. Forgetting to screw in the cap on the back of a GPU block is already pretty indefensible since it's like the most obvious thing you absolutely need to do, but then filling / leak testing with his mobo plugged in and no freaking paper towels anywhere is even worse.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Deuce posted:

My first leak test resulted in a fountain. A rigid tube that was just a haaaair to short. It went into the slot and looked fine from the outside, but had a tiny seam.

Rigid tubing seems like more fun. You could do all sorts of bends and things... But soft tubing seems easier to install correctly.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Survived the overnight leak test :toot: looks like we're golden.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Solumin posted:

Rigid tubing seems like more fun. You could do all sorts of bends and things... But soft tubing seems easier to install correctly.

Way easier. Rigid tubing takes a lot of practice to get the bends right. You'll waste a lot of tubes the first time. Fortunately PETG tubing is pretty cheap.

Soft tubing you just need to figure out the bend radius to avoid kinking, and be smart enough to measure lengths of things.

Rigid tubing I am only really capable of simple runs. If it requires two bends on one tube, it's a huge pain in the rear end. Three is out of the question. I've seen some people do crazy snake-spirally things that are gorgeous, but I am a clumsy goon.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
You don't even have to measure soft tubing, just start routing the whole coil through the case from one fitting to the next then pinch and cut it as you go. Soft tubing is so easy to work with it is basically cheating, with the only real downside being it won't look as good as a well done hard tubing rig (which is the whole point of hard tubing).

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
My experience is limited but soft tubing is hard to work with for really short runs. I have a couple 1 inch long tubes in mine and they were a pain.

Long runs are really easy though!

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy
Soft tubing does how ever run the risk of breaking down if the water gets too hot and then the plastix particles block up your gpy and cpu grids

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
What do y'all like to use for tracking CPU and GPU temps?

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
https://www.hwinfo.com/

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Thanks!

Played Borderlands 2 for a bit. Kept to a pretty solid 60 FPS and temp was ~34C.

My old card (970) would have given me a shaky 45 FPS with ~60C. This is nice.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
So I've got the following:

Asus Maxiumus VIII Hero
i7-6700K running @ 4.5GhZ
Corsair H100GTX

I've gone through no small number of Corsair Hxxx coolers (3 at least in 5 years) trying to get a stable temperature out of my CPU, however I always see the same thing during load testing:

At idle, all temps are fine, in the 30*c-40*c range, and during gaming (World of Warships, X-Plane) temps are around 50*c-60*c and stable.

During hard load testing (Prime95), as soon as the testing starts my CPU temp jumps up to around 70*c and slowly climbs past 90*c after 10-15 minutes.

The water temp in the rad (according to CorsairLink) during this testing is around 35*c - 45*c and steady.

I've never had a thermal shutdown, but getting that hot worries me. As I said, I tried buying a new Corsair cooler, reseating the cooler and reapplying thermal paste, but the issue has always been around.

Am I just buying the wrong brand cooler? I've been somewhat loyal to Corsair since they seem to make fairly solid products, and they're local so if anything goes wrong I can literally swing by their RMA center and do an exchange.

I used to mess around with water cooling ages ago, and I feel that the closed loops sold by vendors are mostly the way to go for someone who doesn't have a lot of time to dick around with building their own water cooling system.

Are there better brands out there than Corsair, or is something else going on here with my setup?

Thanks.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Is prime95 using AVX?

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
Honestly not sure, it's been a few months since I actually ran it.

The issue I was having today was that much CPU was running around 90*c when running both X-Plane 11 and also converting photoscenery in the background, but the CPU was maybe 60%-70% utilized and I was seeing those temps again.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Prime95 definitely uses AVX instructions. Most boards let you set a negative overclock offset for AVX workloads since they add so much thermal load, I set mine to -0.2 and managed to keep consistent temperatures.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
Yeah don't use prime95, it uses some operations that have been extremely accelerated and causes major temperature spikes that are completely unrealistic for load testing.
The intel xtreme tuning utility has a good CPU and memory load test built in that are much better for this purpose.

eames
May 9, 2009

Is prime95 using AVX?

I looked this up, some versions do, some don't

26.6 has no AVX
27.9 has AVX
28.9 has FMA3

people seem to recommend 26.6 as a general "realistic workload" stability test

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
So would people be interested in seeing a Build log for a Caselabs SMA8 with a full retard custom hard line setup?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Yes.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Scarecow posted:

So would people be interested in seeing a Build log for a Caselabs SMA8 with a full retard custom hard line setup?

God yes, I'm looking to do one of those artsy wall mounted custom loop builds, so anything written by a guy just kinda figuring poo poo out as he goes will be super helpful.

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
OK so lets begin, may as well start with a parts list. Most of what you will see below I have already and some things I'm still waiting on release and/or will need them (fittings etc)

First off this build is full retard and I know how much of a over kill it is, how ever just once I wanted to try building a over the top hardline rgb'ed out the rear end custom overkill PC that will give me a challenge of building it so yes i know its dumb, just enjoy it

No even all of the WC parts are here in this photo

560mm Alphacool Monsta radiator
2 EK Coolstream XE 360mm radiators
EK Coolstream PE 480mm Radiator
Bitspower DSTOPX2 dual D5 pump mount
2 Protium Large black clear reservoirs with Etheral Dual mounts
Aquaero 6XT
2 Aquacomputer D5 pumps with Aquabus
Aquastream XT Flow sensor
4 Spitty9's (Fan splitters)
5 Thermaltake Riing plus 140mm RGGGGBBBBBBBB fans :catdrugs:
5 Thermaltake Riing plus 120mm RRRRGGGGBBBBB fans :catdrugs:
EK 16mm hardline fittings and extensions
and a bunch of noctua 140mm and 120mm fans to make ever radiator push push (theses are from my old build and will be out of sight)

as for actual PC parts in the case its going to have the following
2 1080ti FE cards with full cover EK water blocks and back-plates
a Threadripper + Mobo once thats out with a Mono block for the CPU and the VRM's on the mobo
G-skill RGB ram to suit max ram speed + timings

So why the over kill? well with 2 1080tis and a (hopefully 4ghz) 16c/32t Tripper im looking at 300w per gpu and if I9 is anything to go by about 400-500w from the cpu+vrms so theres a lot of heat to be cooled

to fit all this i need a case....

The case will be a Caselabs SMA8, this thing is loving gigantic and with some extra brackets can mount a 560mm rad on the bottom up to a monsta 80mm thick with push pull fans AND a 60mm thick EK XE 360mm rad push pull on the other side of the lower deck.

However even a lower section large enough to house a small kitty

can become full very fast

Well thats not so bad...

What about down in the basement...

Ok so its going to be a little tight but all the wires will fit...right? its not like the PSU is going to be a tight fit ether hah who would be that dumb right?

oh...guess I am, As future photos will show that i will only have a area of 150mm x 80mm x 180mm to fill a 1200W psu and all the cables needed to power everything. I'll leave this monster post with a rough idea of how my tubing is going to go inside the case.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Jesus that's an expensive build.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

That cat owns.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Jesus that's an expensive build.

Was this posted yet? :homebrew:

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
I'm glad I'm not the only one prepping for a big idiot threadripper build. :allears:

You should figure out some way to get noise levels at the end of this. I imagine it'll sound like a plane taking off even with all those quiet fans.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Depending on heat generation, you might be able to run them quite low, actually. My OC'd 2600k and 1070 generate so little heat I can run the fans at minimum with 240+360mm and have very comfortable temperatures.

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Well the plan is with the radiator area i will have to play with and the control the aquaero gives you i can run fans and pumps at variable speeds and i expect to have fans at 5-600rpm most of the time

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Scarecow posted:

OK so lets begin, may as well start with a parts list. Most of what you will see below I have already and some things I'm still waiting on release and/or will need them (fittings etc)

First off this build is full retard and I know how much of a over kill it is, how ever just once I wanted to try building a over the top hardline rgb'ed out the rear end custom overkill PC that will give me a challenge of building it so yes i know its dumb, just enjoy it

No even all of the WC parts are here in this photo

560mm Alphacool Monsta radiator
2 EK Coolstream XE 360mm radiators
EK Coolstream PE 480mm Radiator
Bitspower DSTOPX2 dual D5 pump mount
2 Protium Large black clear reservoirs with Etheral Dual mounts
Aquaero 6XT
2 Aquacomputer D5 pumps with Aquabus
Aquastream XT Flow sensor
4 Spitty9's (Fan splitters)
5 Thermaltake Riing plus 140mm RGGGGBBBBBBBB fans :catdrugs:
5 Thermaltake Riing plus 120mm RRRRGGGGBBBBB fans :catdrugs:
EK 16mm hardline fittings and extensions
and a bunch of noctua 140mm and 120mm fans to make ever radiator push push (theses are from my old build and will be out of sight)

as for actual PC parts in the case its going to have the following
2 1080ti FE cards with full cover EK water blocks and back-plates
a Threadripper + Mobo once thats out with a Mono block for the CPU and the VRM's on the mobo
G-skill RGB ram to suit max ram speed + timings

So why the over kill? well with 2 1080tis and a (hopefully 4ghz) 16c/32t Tripper im looking at 300w per gpu and if I9 is anything to go by about 400-500w from the cpu+vrms so theres a lot of heat to be cooled

to fit all this i need a case....

The case will be a Caselabs SMA8, this thing is loving gigantic and with some extra brackets can mount a 560mm rad on the bottom up to a monsta 80mm thick with push pull fans AND a 60mm thick EK XE 360mm rad push pull on the other side of the lower deck.

However even a lower section large enough to house a small kitty

can become full very fast

Well thats not so bad...

What about down in the basement...

Ok so its going to be a little tight but all the wires will fit...right? its not like the PSU is going to be a tight fit ether hah who would be that dumb right?

oh...guess I am, As future photos will show that i will only have a area of 150mm x 80mm x 180mm to fill a 1200W psu and all the cables needed to power everything. I'll leave this monster post with a rough idea of how my tubing is going to go inside the case.

The ring plus software is utter and complete horseshit return them unopened for a different brand for the love of god

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I waa actually planing on modifying the connectors so that they would be connected up to the aus aurasync software

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

They're also just super bad fans independent of their appearance. You probably have enough that it doesn't really matter but it's a strange concession for such a high end build.

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'll be the first to admit that they were picked for aesthetic reasons first over function as they will be the push part on push/pull set ups with noctua NF-A14 and NF-F12s doing the heavy lifting out of sight

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

I wanna see that with my 'Lime Green'(piss color) coolant.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Prescription Combs posted:

I wanna see that with my 'Lime Green'(piss color) coolant.

Hey man, thats just ECTO COOLER.

eames
May 9, 2009

When I see something like this my first reaction is awe of the craftsmanship, money, time that went into it. The second reaction is sadness because there's no way to upgrade it and a mobile phone will outperform it in benchmarks five years from now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

So it only took 4 hours but this pump block has come up looking really nice and should look great with some leds lighting up the coolent