Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Conot posted:

I look forward to saying I will reroll but actually not rerolling more then maybe once or twice before succumbing to fatigue and taking the Julius Caesar the game throws in my face.

e: Basically me

Crsar is the best designed Servant in the game anyway, so it's not a bad choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velyoukai
Mar 4, 2011

I hate Suits. All of them.
Not to worry, friends. I'm sure there are plenty of no-lifers willing to roll at least 70 accounts, if not 100+.

I'm sure plenty of them will be part of this thread, too.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy
I'll likely post a bunch of IDs of 4-5 * I don't care for if anything.

I was pretty lucky in JPN with kaleidoscopes and early 5* rolls

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

In semi-interesting news, the FGO US Facebook page is soon to hit 50k likes, which as part of their launch campaign means more free quartz and "Big News"

Part of me suspects this Big News was originally meant to be the release date, but I suppose we'll see.

Arianya fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Jun 21, 2017

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
they'll probably come up with something. maybe the date of the first rate-up or something.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Maybe some more free quartz

Captain Keene
Dec 20, 2012
One of the first events they did to promote the game in Japan was to let players pick a 4* servant for free. Could be that.

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

The stream didn't really have any real news other than saying that Artoria's name in game will be Altria. How the gently caress do you get Altria out of Arthur?

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Who the hell is localizing this? Because it's not like we've gotten officially localized games that have already used Artoria or anything... oh wait, WE DO.

That's also far too close to Altera, who is a completely different Servant.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Dammit, and I'm still having trouble adapting to Artoria.

(It's Arturia goddammit)

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
We are altering Altria. Pray we don't Alter her any further

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
There's no info on who's localizing this game and the Aniplex USA dubs and translations of the anime in general use Artoria so it's really confusing as to why whatever team they slapped together for this game is doing this. I know Altria is the name they throw on figures sometimes and was on the Japanese Extella website which leads me to think it's a bunch of Japanese dudes who have never looked at how Fate fans in the west have been experiencing the series. Like I would almost understand this if it were just Unlimited Codes and extella, but we have anime that Aniplex put money into themselves to bring to the west, so it doesn't make any sense.

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Dammit, and I'm still having trouble adapting to Artoria.

(It's Arturia goddammit)

It's said in Artoria's profile that her legend originates from both Arthur and Lucius Artorius Castus who is the actual historical basis for Arthur. Arturia is a proper name, but so is Artoria and incorporates both aspects of her origins well. That being said Altria means literally nothing and does not allude to either part, so it begs the loving question of if anyone on the staff speaks English natively.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

im ready for my jank SEA translation

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

Captain Baal posted:

There's no info on who's localizing this game and the Aniplex USA dubs and translations of the anime in general use Artoria so it's really confusing as to why whatever team they slapped together for this game is doing this. I know Altria is the name they throw on figures sometimes and was on the Japanese Extella website which leads me to think it's a bunch of Japanese dudes who have never looked at how Fate fans in the west have been experiencing the series. Like I would almost understand this if it were just Unlimited Codes and extella, but we have anime that Aniplex put money into themselves to bring to the west, so it doesn't make any sense.

It's said in Artoria's profile that her legend originates from both Arthur and Lucius Artorius Castus who is the actual historical basis for Arthur. Arturia is a proper name, but so is Artoria and incorporates both aspects of her origins well. That being said Altria means literally nothing and does not allude to either part, so it begs the loving question of if anyone on the staff speaks English natively.

On the stream they said it was from Type-Moon themselves so I'm going to go with "Not native English speakers." This happens a lot with Bandai series like Gundam too such as changing Puru's name to Ple for no real reason.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Fwiw, Ple is used in the one dub that refers to them and some of the localized Gundam games and does incorporate what they are somewhat decently. Puru is so ingrained into fans at this point though that it might as well be the official name. That's neither here nor there though, I'm ready for the SAO Hollow fragment level translation on this.

Velyoukai
Mar 4, 2011

All else fails, everybody can agree that "Seiba" is an acceptable term instead of a proper name, right?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Looking forward to every line being "bone of my sword" tier "well I guess I can see what they were trying to say, if I squint"

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

BL posted:

So at the Aniplex booth I inquired into why they went with weird romanizations like "Altria" rather than "Artoria" and apparently all romanizations have to be approved by the people on the Japanese side so that's why they're weird.

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jun 22, 2017

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Bedivere's NP is Agateram instead of Airgetlám for similar reasons. It's whatever in the big scheme of things and probably shouldn't be used as an indicator for the quality of the rest of their translation but always amusing when the Japanese side tries to keep its engrish running. They're in too deep to suddenly change all of their own merchandise to proper english and guess they figure may as well keep it the same in NA just in case they start dumping the same merchandise there too.

For Fire Emblem I still laugh whenever I remember that the official romanization for Donnel, who is Doni in Japan, is Denis.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
they already stressed in-stream that Altria was given to them by TYPE-MOON so idg the frenzied "translation RIP" responses.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
aniplex stream: hey guys we know this is going to blow up but we just want to emphasize this is the name that was given to us
five million fan responses: fugg... incompetent machine translators... are aniplex even looking at their own translation precedent

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
If that's the case then the translation is probably fine, it's just unfortunate they feel the need to do that.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I mean the term "Noble Phantasm" is basically just a nonsensical port of english words Nasu thought sounded cool so I guess a few more won't hurt

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Space Flower posted:

they already stressed in-stream that Altria was given to them by TYPE-MOON so idg the frenzied "translation RIP" responses.

just lmao if you think I get any news outside of skimming this thread while looking at astolfo's butt

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

It's not like everyone necessarily watches the stream, and the big issue is again we're looking at just under 10 years of official english releases of works about this property that have all used basically the same name, and this one is a radical change - and not for the better. You can get Arthur out of Arturia(or Artoria), whereas Altria is just a mess in english. Again, it also reads way too close to Altera. If the change is coming about via actual Type-Moon interference then it doesn't really cast too many aspersions on the rest of the translation (aside from what else they might be interfering on), but it's still really annoying.

I mean, if it was just stuff like the fan translation of Fate/stay night using that name it'd be one thing, but these are products Type-Moon has overseen and signed off on.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jun 22, 2017

Velyoukai
Mar 4, 2011

People are upset now, but down the line, when Nasu unveils Takeuchi's ultimate wet dreamwork, the Grand Dominion Seiba, Artoria/uria, I'm sure there will be nothing but sagely nods and understanding as to why this Seiba was named Altria.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
they also said that the game wouldn't have any character designs altered or changed in localization, which naturally means there's 70 posts on the subreddit jacking off about a victory over the imaginary SJWs.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Endorph posted:

they also said that the game wouldn't have any character designs altered or changed in localization, which naturally means there's 70 posts on the subreddit jacking off about a victory over the imaginary SJWs.

Cntrl+F for SJW only brings up somebody with a Jack avatar arguing that she shouldn't be censored--gee, I wonder why--and one other guy who seems kind of like a dick anyway. So, uh, 2 posts on the subreddit jacking off about a victory over the imaginary SJWs compared to 1 post on SA jacking off about a victory over the imaginary SJW-hating subreddit jacking off about a victory over the imaginary SJWs?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Jack is a terrible design who should be changed anyways

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
is there like a prereg or anything for this

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Decus posted:

Cntrl+F for skeleton only brings up somebody with a Jack avatar arguing that she shouldn't be censored--gee, I wonder why--and one other guy who seems kind of like a dick anyway. So, uh, 2 posts on the subreddit jacking off about a victory over the imaginary skeletons compared to 1 post on SA jacking off about a victory over the imaginary skeleton-hating subreddit jacking off about a victory over the imaginary skeletons?
you caught me. the truth is im just as bad as them, clearly.

Velyoukai
Mar 4, 2011

Endorph posted:

you caught me. the truth is im just as bad as them, clearly.

Don't worry, Endorph. You're still worth Grailing.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
i grailed geronimo, that isnt a comfort at all

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

:stare:

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

So do we all agree now that Mordred is the best saber now?

Psiwri
Mar 8, 2012

"The Foecast today calls for dark clouds, booming thunder and F.O.E.s everywhere!"

Argas posted:

I will agree to that.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I won't because Altera now exists.

Though I suppose an interesting pre-launch discussion would be favorites of each class.

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

Argas posted:

Nero exists so no.

Tribladeofchaos fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jun 22, 2017

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Excuse me, Okita is clearly the best Saber. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Endorph posted:

i grailed geronimo, that isnt a comfort at all

I grailed Angra to level 96. And Geronimo might be bad in-game, but he's a true american hero who deserves respect. :colbert:

Edit: Clearly, Angra best Avenger and best boy. Robin Hood is best Archer. Based Cursed-Arm Hassan is best Assassin. Kintoki is best Rider. Cesar is best Saber. Jaguarman is best lancer. Best caster is the hardest... let's say Merlin, but I have a soft spot for Andersen and Babbage.

MonsieurChoc fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jun 22, 2017