Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Shoving the secretary while she was in a blindspot so closely paralleled what he did to Zoe Barnes that I'm surprised Hammerschmidt didn't note the similarities, since he seemed so keen to talk poo poo about the President every other chance he got.

For all the problems with this season, I did think that slow zoom in on Hammerschmidt after Frank resigns was really good. That slow realization that something wasn't right and the niggling suspicion he might have been played was well conveyed I thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!
What was up with the scene with Tom in socks? Was it supposed to demonstrate that he had become to comfortable and casual in the White House and had to go? It was such a bizarre character moment.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I swear there was a moment in the early seasons where Frank had a real fiery rant about how the real power was in government, not the private sector. Maybe during the teachers' union stuff?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

PostNouveau posted:

I swear there was a moment in the early seasons where Frank had a real fiery rant about how the real power was in government, not the private sector. Maybe during the teachers' union stuff?

Do you mean?

quote:

Francis Underwood: Such a waste of talent. He chose money over power. In this town, a mistake nearly everyone makes. Money is the McMansion in Sarasota that starts falling apart after 10 years. Power is the old stone building that stands for centuries. I cannot respect someone who doesn't see the difference.

It is from Episode 2 after Remy tries to convince Frank to join him in the private sector.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Jun 21, 2017

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I just realized that Tom Yates should have been played by Cary Elwes.

Or better yet, Elwes could have been that photographer from season 1. :stare:

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

QuoProQuid posted:

Do you mean?

It is from Episode 2 after Remy tries to convince Frank to join him in the private sector.

Maybe he's going to do a double reverse petard hoist in season six and trick some CEOs, murder a couple CFOs, etc. when he doesn't get the private sector position he wants and then suddently become appointed Secretary of State, the position he wanted after all.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

doctorfrog posted:

Maybe he's going to do a double reverse petard hoist in season six and trick some CEOs, murder a couple CFOs, etc. when he doesn't get the private sector position he wants and then suddently become appointed Secretary of State, the position he wanted after all.

Ok, if that's the series finale I will stand up and clap.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
The first two seasons are an above-average political thriller (with a good endpoint, to boot). Since then it's more of a political soap opera that I don't care for much.

anyway thats my two cents thanks for readin

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Finally watching through this season and my favourite moment so far is when Claire totally owns that Donald guy and he responds with "I just realised your initials are missing an N and a T" talk about the most weaksauce burn of all time

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I just realized that Tom Yates should have been played by Cary Elwes.

Or better yet, Elwes could have been that photographer from season 1. :stare:

YES

Also Claire kinda telegraphed the breaking of the fourth wall, she turned and smiled at the camera when Frank launched off on a monologue at a few points before she spoke to us.

But oh poo poo that moment when she's walking across the frame and stops, turns her head to spike the lens, and says something like "Oh, it's you. I know you're there, I just don't like you." And now it's her turn? Frank likes to chew the scenery for us, Claire hates us. She's gonna make Frank look like a saint by comparison. Since she's probably gonna appoint the Steve Jobs knockoff VP and Doug Stamper is martyring himself for the Underwoods' crimes, she should hire Mal Tucker as her enforcer. Capaldi ain't The Doctor anymore, he has the time. :v:

Escobarbarian posted:

Finally watching through this season and my favourite moment so far is when Claire totally owns that Donald guy and he responds with "I just realised your initials are missing an N and a T" talk about the most weaksauce burn of all time
Not the best burn, but ... not like he was wrong. She is now queen oval office of bitch mountain and has learned from her husband's mistakes. Either they both burn, or she burns him and becomes Josephine Stalin.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Jun 28, 2017

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

I'm glad one person liked the season.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Just finished. I agree that it's more political soap opera, verging on political Doctor Who, and that it didn't live up to the promise of "We make the terror." I'll keep watching it, though, because I have a trash palette for TV and this still helps me shut off. Think all of these thoughts have been written before, but gently caress it:

- I laughed hard at Frank loving the avatar of his Civil War ancestor / fellow action figure enthusiast / lovely godawful personal trainer. It was so perfectly awful.
- For all the scene-chewing that Spacey does, I still love how Claire's actress makes Claire positively inhuman.
- Reporters feed at the trough every time someone leaves or pops up in Trump's cabinet and/or inner circle. They're seriously not going to notice that everyone around the Underwoods winds up with a case of untimely, suspicious death?
- Someone is going to have to explain "I gently caress you because I hate you" to me. It would make sense to me if she was dosing Doug with poison on the regular or something. Grudgefucking just doesn't seem to bridge the logical and emotional gap.
- Claire dunking on Blythe was great.
- I didn't enjoy anything involving Seth or the new deputy press secretary.
- Like others, Yates scenes were insta-fast forward for me. He just became bolt-on humanity to Claire, which was already done with her mom. You already knew how this was going to go.
- Yates would've pissed and poo poo on that carpet shortly after expiring. It's not enough that you left a dead body, you wrecked that carpet, too.

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!

Delivery McGee posted:

Also Claire kinda telegraphed the breaking of the fourth wall, she turned and smiled at the camera when Frank launched off on a monologue at a few points before she spoke to us.

She actually telegraphed it at the last scene in Season 4 when Frank breaks the fourth wall and she looks at him before they both look right at the camera and then the season ends.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Having Usher and the other one (Davis?) appear out of nowhere to push the plot around was pretty crappy

Overall I'd say it was a 7/10 season. Definitely watchable, but no doubt worse than previous ones.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

King of Foolians posted:

She actually telegraphed it at the last scene in Season 4 when Frank breaks the fourth wall and she looks at him before they both look right at the camera and then the season ends.

They should have had her say something in that scene. Especially now that she did it in this season to not-as-powerful effect. I'm sure they considered it and had their reasons for not doing it, but it seems like a waste now.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Claire talking to us was just weird, 4th wall breaking should be our special Kevin Spacey time

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
What was the deal with Yates breaking the fourth wall when he waved at the camera during the inauguration? Still trying to put my thumb on that.

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

BarronsArtGallery posted:

What was the deal with Yates breaking the fourth wall when he waved at the camera during the inauguration? Still trying to put my thumb on that.

Was that not Usher? poo poo I thought they did that to imply he was a potential usurper like Frank was. Doesn't Frank tell Claire to watch whoever Usher recommends as VP, which turns out to be himself?

If it was Yates then I dunno.

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474
Jan 12, 2006

eat your vegetables dot com
This thread title really needs a change, the show had absolutely nothing to do with the real election

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474 posted:

This thread title really needs a change, the show had absolutely nothing to do with the real election

actually, the real election and the show were both really bad

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

In both elections the opponent just vanished without a trace and no one really thinks to ask why.

I only care because Mrs. Candidate was a wonderful screen presence.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Baiku posted:

Was that not Usher? poo poo I thought they did that to imply he was a potential usurper like Frank was. Doesn't Frank tell Claire to watch whoever Usher recommends as VP, which turns out to be himself?

If it was Yates then I dunno.

Might have been. It was like the last good scene of the season.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Right, all caught up. Everything is dumb.

I feel like the show's gotten really kill happy, to the point that it's lost all impact. The first three seasons had precisely one major death each caused by the Underwoods, and each one was a huge deal with major repercussions, still being investigated up to the present. Now no one bats an eyelid at the amount of people dropping like flies. Most of them are just not mentioned again.

Did the show actually say that Durant was comatose or was it for us to assume? She fell down a few steps, was mentioned maybe twice immediately after then just not referred to again. Is she dead? Has the show forgotten already?

And was it actually said what LeAnn was given on that laptop? Or are we supposed to assume it was just miscellaneous evidence of the election tampering stuff?

Dumb. At least the videogame product placement was super brief this season and didn't involve the loving president.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I swear someone said she was in a coma, but I can't remember exactly who said what now.

Eh, whatever, it's a soap opera at this point. I'm sure she's in a coma and will wake up with enough amnesia to be unable to rat on Frank.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

PostNouveau posted:

I'm sure she's in a coma and will wake up with enough amnesia to be unable to rat on Frank.

That's true but the show's also contrived a situation where it no longer really matters if she does.

Hell, most of the corruption was uncovered and ignored at the end of season 4. The truth about Russo could come out and it'd be hand waved away.

e: It just occurred to me that both of Netflix's flagship shows used 'ex-soldiers with PTSD are unstable' as an unnecessary plot device in their respective fourth and fifth seasons, which aired around the same time. What's up with that?

ee: Also why did this show decide to have two characters called Tom? I suppose there are a poo poo-zillion characters and when Yates was introduced they may not have planned for Hammerschmidt to come back, but they could've just called him Mickey or Eugene or something.

Incidentally Hammerschmidt is the best thing in the show now.

stev fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jul 9, 2017

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
I honestly don't mind the soap opera deaths. It's Frank resigning which made this show unwatchable for me now. Completely against everything he fought for and all of his motivations. That's what's being handwaved away

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Coming up with a big convoluted plan that doesn't seem to align with his previous goals, based on vague talk of being "above power" and "owning the White House", that relies on multiple people doing specific things to play along, that relies on the sea of opportunistic meddlers around you not noticing or taking advantage of the turmoil, that involves a massive gamble on being pardoned by a woman who was kept out of the planning and resents that fact and now feels herself put in an impossible situation, with no assurances or backup plan other than that you could revenge-kill her.

A lot of effort to put into shooting yourself in the foot for no understandable goal. When Frank said he had a revelation at the Elysian Fields, maybe what he actually had was a stroke.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Frank died when he was shot. This is all a fever dream, it won't be revealed until the last season.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

counterfeitsaint posted:

Frank died when he was shot. This is all a fever dream, it won't be revealed until the last season.

Him becoming President was actually purgatory and in the finale he will walk into the white light :lost:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The dog on the sidewalk in episode 1 was Frank.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

the dog is also america, and the american dream

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474 posted:

House of Cards Season 5: "That Doesn't Make Any Sense, Francis"

House of Cards Season 5: "I Like Dirt and Rocks"

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

BarronsArtGallery posted:

I honestly don't mind the soap opera deaths. It's Frank resigning which made this show unwatchable for me now. Completely against everything he fought for and all of his motivations. That's what's being handwaved away

Yeah, the investigations into him have absolutely no tension now, the only question now is if he goes to jail or not.

He's lost the presidency, disgraced in the eyes of the public, and is in the backfoot against Claire.

The investigations and idea that people would uncover the truth about Zoe was compelling as the little guy fighting against the most powerful man in the world. Now if anything comes of it it will be nothing more than one more boot into an already ruined man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

I'm not done with Season 5, but yeah, this show kind of sucks now and I don't know why I watch it. It just doesn't really make sense anymore. It seems like it went the True Blood route and became an over the top parody, but unlike True Blood, I don't think it's in on it's own joke.

• Locked thread