Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

iospace posted:

Yes and?

Just wanted it on the record in case I get the avatar of shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Ah the Jim Benning approach.

he said drunk, not drunk and stupid

e: my team

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

There's no NHL rule that Vegas has to draft a team that's cap friendly

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

There's no NHL rule that Vegas has to draft a team that's cap friendly

Actually, there is.

quote:

* Vegas must select players with an aggregate Expansion Draft value that is between 60-100% of the prior season's upper limit for the salary cap.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

JawKnee posted:

:lol: someone thinks that Vegas is going to take:

B) Bachmann

No actually I didn't pick Bachman because I thought Vegas would actually take him, in fact it's because goalies are worthless in the rules and so is everyone on Vancouver's exposed list.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

whatis posted:

If we're supposed to be under the salary cap, can that be uhhh...explicitly stated? Because "within the NHL rules" is pretty vague and I don't even know what exactly that entails

I didn't think it was very vague at all!

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
Well it's vague (to me) because UFAs don't have active contracts so there's no way of telling how much they're actually worth unless value is based upon past contract or something, which is math you would have to do on your own because CapFriendly won't do it for you.

But I guess I'm thinking too hard about it and will pick a new team

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
UFA contract value is 0.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Whoops. What I meant was that Vegas' draft selections don't have to be cap friendly as if it were Day 1 of the 17/18 season, but that's a good point about the 60% floor they have to hit!

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
lol I put in my team I picked without using the Cap calculator and my fly by the seat of my pants led to a team with 95 million in salary.

So I went through and submitted a second list that is my actual list since my first one was hosed to all hell. Definitely use that cap calculator if you don't want a hilariously over the cap team.

e: guess I should post mine as well VV

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jun 19, 2017

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I couldn't be bothered to come up with a team based on the back door dealing or figuring out what UFAs would cost, so this is the best team I could assemble based on not trying. Consider it my horrible entry.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

ThinkTank posted:

I couldn't be bothered to come up with a team based on the back door dealing or figuring out what UFAs would cost, so this is the best team I could assemble based on not trying. Consider it my horrible entry.

Isn't Ryan a no-go because the NMC?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Isn't Ryan a no-go because the NMC?

He's available, he has some sort of modified NMC that only prevents him being assigned to the AHL. His downside is that he's signed for 5 more years at $7.25M. I just really don't rate Marc Methot.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

ThinkTank posted:

He's available, he has some sort of modified NMC that only prevents him being assigned to the AHL. His downside is that he's signed for 5 more years at $7.25M. I just really don't rate Marc Methot.

See I think with Vatanen off the table, Methot might be one of the better defencemen available.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I picked Ryan too because that's how our scoring works best but oh man that would be a terrible choice if Vegas really took him.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

I picked Ryan too because that's how our scoring works best but oh man that would be a terrible choice if Vegas really took him.

Oh yeah, I'm not advocating actually taking Ryan from a franchise building perspective. I just selected him because he has the best track record of anyone available (that's not a UFA) of putting up 50-60 points and could win me some sweet Vegas swag.

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
My wild unresearched picks actually met all the rules.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I forgot who I picked once I hit the submit button, so I can't go back and check my cap status or how many positions I picked.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

My strategy was to go more towards making "realistic" picks as opposed to picking players that I expect to have the best performance next season. That said, I didn't do too much research into speculation on back door deals besides the big ones that have been reported, so I'm sure I'll be way, way off...

Sharks Eat Bear fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jun 19, 2017

Porrima
Oct 18, 2012

The world is fucked
and so are you.

Thanks, humanity
Well, here's my silly team.

This is not going to win anything but ridicule, but I'm interested in seeing how it goes.

E: Also because I suck so much I cropped the image to not include the data, but it fits all rules. Sorry :(

Porrima fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jun 19, 2017

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

This team would be pretty grindy and score very few goals.
Cap should be good, it's like $57m or something.

edit: Also I guess I was dumb and got some UFAs but whatever.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

My strategy was to go more towards making "realistic" picks as opposed to picking players that I expect to have the best performance next season.

Of course, an 'inferior' player might still put up better scoring numbers if they get chosen by Vegas, since they'll get better ice time and powerplay time.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Hockles posted:

I forgot who I picked once I hit the submit button, so I can't go back and check my cap status or how many positions I picked.

Same.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Picking younger people if possible, gotta plan for the future! (in this contest only going for one year) Picking goalies only when I look at the skaters available and go "mehhhhh".

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

We're building for the future.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

F- Plekanec (MTL), Neal (NSH), Cammalleri (NJD), Eakin (DAL), Perron (STL), Kruger (CHI), Dorsett (VAN), ROFL (PHI), Lewis (LAK), Nordstrom (CAR), Stewart (MIN), Karlsson (CBJ), Rychel (TOR), Dano (WPG), Marchessault (FLA), Thornton (SJS), Pulkkinen (ARI), Grigorenko (COL)

D- Bogosian (BUF), Methot (OTT), Garrison (TBL), Hickey (NYI), Miller (BOS), Manson (ANA), Bartkowski (CGY), Reinhart (EDM), Schmidt (WSH)

G- Fleury (PIT), Mrazek (DET), Raanta (NYR)

PROJECTED CAP HIT [The cap hit at seasons end based on the previous single day rosters and assuming the current roster remains the same until the end of the season] : $69,602,023
PROJECTED CAP SPACE [The projected cap space value is the difference between the cap ceiling and the projected cap hit. If the projected cap hit is greater than the cap ceiling due to long-term injury relief, the projected cap space is $0.] : $3,397,977

All-Star James Neal, 28 wins because expansion.

GO TEAM!

...go Jackets West, apparently (Dorsett, Karlsson, Rychel, Dano, Marchessault, Methot).

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
Dang... some of these teams don't have poo poo to pick from!

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
My attempt at picking the highest scoring players (per the system) while remaining compliant with draft rules:

Cap hit is $68,590,000 (I don't know how I broke this in the screenshot)

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

seems like a lot of UFAs they could just wait on until after the expansion draft - which is the reason I avoided Radulov/Nesterov/Vrbata/whoever else

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks

Zodijackylite posted:

My attempt at picking the highest scoring players (per the system) while remaining compliant with draft rules:

Cap hit is $68,590,000 (I don't know how I broke this in the screenshot)

Zooming in and out on the page breaks the cap number for whatever reason. I had to draft with the page at 90% zoom beforehand to get it to display.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

JawKnee posted:

seems like a lot of UFAs they could just wait on until after the expansion draft - which is the reason I avoided Radulov/Nesterov/Vrbata/whoever else

True - the purpose was purely to aim for the best numbers next year of exposed players. I picked goalies from garbage teams because they're not being scored.

I think VGK will mostly pick younger guys in the draft, plus a few players like Grabner or Raanta who will immediately be flipped to another team.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Alright, I'll probably be closing submissions at or around 6:30 tonight!!!! So get your incredibly good and cool picks in.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

AsInHowe posted:

Essentially, it sounds like Vegas is going to be reaching out to each team before the pick is made, so they could maybe work out a deal if Vegas is picking someone they want kept.

I don't understand the strategy for Vegas behind this at all? You're an expansion team: the deck is stacked against you and the only thing you've got is the ability to find a player other teams overlooked on their un-protected list?

Ergo Propter Hog
Jul 21, 2014

Let us go, the golden knights

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

so can we change our submissions before the deadline? Given all the trade stuff, I may want to...

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

JawKnee posted:

so can we change our submissions before the deadline? Given all the trade stuff, I may want to...

I don't think so, no. That seems against the spirit of things.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Especially because leaks are starting to come out with increasing frequency. If they continue to come out I may stipulate a soft deadline after which submissions won't be eligible for the matching prize.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Hand Knit posted:

I don't think so, no. That seems against the spirit of things.

Yeah that doesn't seem fair. I'm sure a lot of people picked Josh Andersen for example and it sounds like Columbus may have made a deal to keep him from getting picked but that's not prior knowledge any of us had when we did our lists.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

It took awhile, but I finally put together my team. Rather than try to assemble the best team, I'm aiming for the closest actual team, which will inevitably put me near the bottom of scoring but hopefully not last!

$66.1 mil cap hit. I don't think it'll be that high, so I'm second guessing some of my picks but whatever.

For fun, this is the team I would've picked if I was the Golden Knights GM (ignoring the contest rules, where basically it's just "put together the best team for the inaugural season"):

$47.4 mil cap hit. All my extra picks went towards D, which I'd end up trading several of, either for picks/prospects or forwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Hand Knit posted:

Especially because leaks are starting to come out with increasing frequency. If they continue to come out I may stipulate a soft deadline after which submissions won't be eligible for the matching prize.

I was going to complete mine after work today around 5PM EDT. Hope I make the soft deadline. :ohdear:

• Locked thread