Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

YEAH!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer

quote:

Hi, I'm an arborist. This means I am a professional in the cultivation, management, and study of trees. I love trees. I think they're some of the most beautiful, majestic, ancient living beings on our planet.

Today I am here to tell you a story of death, new life, and revenge. Three years ago today, the city council of Redondo Beach California ordered the death of my 30 year old pepper tree. It's roots had begun to penetrate the pavement in front of my house. The city noticed and issued the death warrant of my tree. They furthermore made me pay for the damages to the sidewalk and for the tree removal.

I loved Clyde. I'm beginning to get older, and planting something that I knew would live well beyond my lifetime was something very special. I took very good care of him. I drained his soil, I gave him a crutch to lean on when he was a young lad, and I watched him grow. Just as Clyde was becoming a strong healthy individual, expanding his root system, developing a canopy, and making his own way in life, the mayor took it upon himself to uproot my beautiful child.

Mayor Steve Aspel. You killed my child.

For this, you will pay. Two years and seven months ago, I secretly planted 45 California Redwoods and 82 Giant Sequoias in various parks, yards, and state properties around your city.

Today, each of their root systems will be at least 30 feet in diameter, and deeply embedded in the soil. You may have noticed the trees growing in front of city council, or that new one that sprouted up in your backyard. That's a Giant Sequoia, and its growth will begin accelerating rapidly in the coming months.

You killed Clyde, but I have replaced him with over 100 living giants. And giant they will become. In a few years, they'll begin breaking heights of 100-300 feet and live well beyond 2,500 years. That's way longer ago than Jesus was born. To remove even one of them at this point will cost well over $1500... And I'm stiffing you with the bill, just like you did to me 3 years ago today.

Good day to you, sir. May your city be overrun by trees. And may Clyde rest in peace.

Edit: I now realize I posted this in the completely wrong subreddit. However, I want to thank you all for the warm reception of my post despite it being wildly off topic. You guys seem like a very kind Reddit community!
Also, I'd like to share a quick image album I made of my favorite Giant Sequoia, "General Sherman". This will give you a taste of what will soon be sprouting up in Steve's yard.

https://imgur.com/gallery/ShEHk

link to original: https://www.reddit.com/r/trees/comments/6hotz8/i_secretly_planted_a_giant_sequoia_tree_in_my/

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
As soon as I saw "arborist" I was really hoping for some primo STDH about an arborist being mistaken for an abortionist. Now I feel letdown and unfulfilled, thanks a lot jerk <:mad:>

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
You would think an arborist would know how far to plant a pepper tree from a sidewalk.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
That guy was loving the tree, wasn't he.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

sixth and maimed posted:

You would think an arborist would know how far to plant a pepper tree from a sidewalk.

This is what I was thinking the whole time. Don't lash out at other people because you're terrible at your "job" and the authorities found out about it.

Also I find it highly questionable that a) someone could plant 100 trees in peoples' yards and parks/"state properties" without getting caught and b) they would all grow fine on their own without anyone taking care of them until they became self-sustaining. Especially considering the fact that they were probably getting mowed down by the landscapers every week or so.

So yeah, this is definitely stdh.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous
Redondo Beach is right on the coast. Sequoia National Park isn't. A 5 second Google search reveals that planting your own giant redwood or sequoia outside of their normal environment is a terrible idea, since they won't survive.

I like to imagine he really did spend tens of thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours planting saplings that died within days.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

THEY KILLED
*smash cut*
HIS TREE SON

SO HE KILLED
*smash cut, orchestra swells*
THEY BRAIN CELLS WITH THIS DUMB rear end STORY

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

I'm sure he's a professional in the sense that he paid for an LLC that would do it if it ever went into business. At most.

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

Far be it from me to question an arborist who trespasses onto private property and posts about it on Reddit, but, man, that seems like a lot of damage for baby trees to do in less than three years. Like, I thought we were having a problem with deforestation, but according to this guy, seems like you could just have a new forest every 10 years or so. Why didn't anyone think of this sooner? Just plant more trees! So simple.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

It kind of defeats the point of the story about how the mean ol' city made you kill your tree for presumably no good reason when you go on to show that improperly planted trees are in fact a hugely destructive thing and should be avoided at all costs.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

This poison ivy reboot loving sucks

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

WampaLord posted:

It kind of defeats the point of the story about how the mean ol' city made you kill your tree for presumably no good reason when you go on to show that improperly planted trees are in fact a hugely destructive thing and should be avoided at all costs.

and will need to be killed and removed

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

That's at least as appropriate in r/trees (the weed subreddit) as any other corner of reddit

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!
I also read "abortionist" at first and was very confused as I kept reading. Assuming this is true (which it isn't) it seems unlikely that the town would make a private citizen pay for the removal of the tree or damage to the sidewalk unless it could be proven that he had planted it maliciously 30 years ago. I also love that he calls the Mayor out for personally murdering his tree-baby. It definitely wasn't existing town ordinances and the fact that the tree was (by his own account) damaging town property.
I looked to see if Steve Aspel is really the mayor of Redondo Beach, CA and he is (well was, last month he was beaten in an election), and most of the pages on the google search of his name are articles about this dumb, fake story. When will the fake news stop? Someone needs to clue in journalists that sometimes people make up stuff on the internet for lulz.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Isn't there a Batman villain who does stuff like this

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

hyperhazard posted:

Redondo Beach is right on the coast. Sequoia National Park isn't. A 5 second Google search reveals that planting your own giant redwood or sequoia outside of their normal environment is a terrible idea, since they won't survive.

I like to imagine he really did spend tens of thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours planting saplings that died within days.

Nah, they can grow plenty of places. But they won't likely get massive outside their natural range or one substantially similar.

And you can pretty much get away with planting trees all over the place with little problem, as long as you're wearing an orange vest and possibly hard hat. Will they be taken care of properly after? Who knows. But most people aren't going to question someone doing something like that. Not that any of it happened.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

I.C. posted:

Why didn't anyone think of this sooner? Just plant more trees! So simple.

Tbf, isn't it just that logging companies never wanted to cut into their profit margins by replanting after their cuts? I mean, it still takes a loooong time to get a forest back, but they weren't even trying.

Jayme
Jul 16, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

Tbf, isn't it just that logging companies never wanted to cut into their profit margins by replanting after their cuts? I mean, it still takes a loooong time to get a forest back, but they weren't even trying.

Depends on the company, really - nowadays, a lot of companies in the US replant as part of a sustainability initiative (as long as they're not planning to sell the land to be developed), but some companies have been replanting for years and years. Basically, if the company owns that land and is planning to keep it after logging, hell yeah they're going to replant as soon as possible.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Shakespeare Aunt Judy on Facebook after four glasses of chardonnay at her Eat Pray Love book group said:

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Good on aunt Judy being that well spoken 4 glasses of wine deep

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

I'd post this dumbass story, but one of the images won't cooperate, so instead, I'll just post a dumbass link.

"Nothin' Gay About 2 Dudes Gettin Married for College Money"

https://imgur.com/gallery/KMsLi

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I'm no lawyer but that seems incredibly illegal.

Also didn't adam sandler make a movie about this

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Zelder posted:

Good on aunt Judy being that well spoken 4 glasses of wine deep

Being good at drinking wine and maintaining some level of sobriety just makes one an under-the-radar, socially acceptable alcoholic--I've seen multiple women (ok I dated some) throw back a bottle and a half and barely flinch, but it was cool you see because it was wine and it doesn't seem to register on the "is he/she an alcoholic?" set of factors. But then most of them couldn't handle more than two beers so who knows.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, aunt Judy could totally post Facebook platitudes all night long with a bottle of wine in her, but no one cares because it's aunt Judy and it's "only" wine

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

life is killing me posted:

I guess what I'm trying to say is, aunt Judy could totally post Facebook platitudes all night long with a bottle of wine in her, but no one cares because it's aunt Judy and it's "only" wine

This guy gets it.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I'm no lawyer but that seems incredibly illegal.

Also didn't adam sandler make a movie about this

Paul Hogan and Micheal Caton, (from The Castle and The Sullivans) also made the two straight friends get married to each other for tax reasons and it's hilarious coz they have to pretend to be gay movie before the Adam Sandler one.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫
Someone took a picture of an English subway informational poster.

I don't think it's real but I hope that it is.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Catberry posted:

I don't think it's real

Aw, no poo poo?

Does the mayor of YOUR city profanely mock your hygiene?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

walrusman posted:

Aw, no poo poo?

I think they should start doing it. The trams here have smelled like rancid rear end since summer started. And in places like Geneva they smell like that every day of the year.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

walrusman posted:

Aw, no poo poo?

Well, I mean, it was BoJo.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

walrusman posted:

Aw, no poo poo?

The gently caress do I know. Does London even have a mayor? For all I know it's some British slang for "Announcement of London"

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
London is not even called London in London. The image is shamelessly fake.

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

Mere minutes after discovering the new technology, it was used to send me a crude ASCII dong.

Catberry posted:

The gently caress do I know. Does London even have a mayor? For all I know it's some British slang for "Announcement of London"

At any one time London has up to thirteen mayors actually

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

Maw posted:

At any one time London has up to thirteen mayors actually

Sounds confusing.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

gschmidl posted:

Well, I mean, it was BoJo.

Like Boris has any right mocking others' hygiene or grooming. Has the man ever heard of a goddamned comb?

Also, re the sequoia, there are sequoias growing in Oregon that were planted as seedlings on the grounds of houses and in public parks.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

AlbieQuirky posted:

Also, re the sequoia, there are sequoias growing in Oregon that were planted as seedlings on the grounds of houses and in public parks.

I see them around and I'm jealous; they look so cool. They do grow really fast but not "requires professional felling after the third year" fast.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
I've found the fabled stdh that is actually OK.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.
Idiots on Social Media thread has derailed into a thread about how each poster was the funniest person in their class, and way smarter than their teacher. Including one where the class dies laughing over a book report.