Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Sakurazuka posted:

They never released the 64GB card officially outside Japan hence eBay/Amazon sellers adding 'cant buy this in the shops' tax.

The 32gb one is $70+ on domestic and about $50 on jp though, pretty much the same margin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yeah, if you're gonna play any version of innocence and you know enough japanese, play r. i've been pushing through the old ds one since it's the only one that's in english, and it's got neat writing, but the gameplay is so loving atrocious you basically have to cheat through it if you don't want to lose your sanity because even on the lowest difficulty enemies outlevel you constantly and don't give nearly enough exp. with all of those issues apparently fixed in the remake and without presentation being held down by being a low-budget ds game, i totally recommend giving it a look

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jun 20, 2017

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

.hack//G.U. Last Recode is getting a North American and European release in "late 2017".

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I'm glad.

I do think it's funny that their anniversary logo has Kite in it and they're redoing GU instead.

I'd like to think that means that a more exhaustive remake of the original four games would be coming but I don't believe that for a second.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'm just relieved we're getting Last Recode at all, since I missed G.U. the first time around (Still need to finish IMOQ over here). I've been burned a few too many times by superior remakes and rereleases not coming out in English. :(

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
GU is already miles better than the first four games

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I still like them and also a collection for them would mean I could sell four additional collectible PS2 games.

I'm making out like a bandit in this.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Is that saying it's including versions of the original trilogy as well as the remake, or just the way it's worded?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Is that saying it's including versions of the original trilogy as well as the remake, or just the way it's worded?

I think it's just reiterating the point that the collection includes all three games.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Getsuya posted:

I love how organic the world in Cold Steel is. I already have a bunch of favorite NPCs I check in with after any passage of time since they always have new stuff to say and they all have their own little stories going on. Silly example but I was super invested in whether that kid was ever going to get her notebook back in the 1st town you go to. I'm glad I got this portable because I feel like that makes it easier to play at a leisurely pace and enjoy the atmosphere.

Awesome game, 10/10, wanna be a part of that world.

Cold Steel has such a good cast, both main and secondary/tertiary characters. Really soak it up in the first game - the second game will really make you appreciate getting to know those characters.

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
If you're a fan of Mistwalker/Sakaguchi and being disappointed, have I got news for you! Guess what Mistwalker's secretive new project is! If you guessed more freemium gatcha, congrats!

http://www.siliconera.com/2017/06/20/terra-battle-2-terra-world-hironobu-sakaguchi-mistwalker-revealed/

:smith:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

tenderjerk posted:

If you're a fan of Mistwalker/Sakaguchi and being disappointed, have I got news for you! Guess what Mistwalker's secretive new project is! If you guessed more freemium gatcha, congrats!

http://www.siliconera.com/2017/06/20/terra-battle-2-terra-world-hironobu-sakaguchi-mistwalker-revealed/

:smith:

Sakaguchi, why can't you make another Last Story? :sigh:

Even a remaster on the Switch would do. Hell, just release the drat game on the WiiU's eShop for the poor souls who haven't gotten to play it.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
mistwalker's new game is terra battle 2...yay...

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I mean at this point, why would you expect anything else?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
The first made them mad bank, didn't it? I'm surprised it took this long to see a sequel.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Phantasium posted:

I mean at this point, why would you expect anything else?
Yeah when Terra Battle came out that studio said they really wanted to invest in mobile games to enable their other projects.

It was a fun little game when it came out, I don't mind. Hope they have some mechanic to transfer Terra Battle 1 data to the sequel though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Well I got Ending C of Nier. And after that I... I did... I did... something... So, who's the old guy on the game's cover? Never saw him once in the whole thing :confused:.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I'm still waiting on that supposed Terra Battle console version that's more of a full rpg. But that was like 2 years ago at this point.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
why does a mobile game need a sequel

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Well I got Ending C of Nier. And after that I... I did... I did... something... So, who's the old guy on the game's cover? Never saw him once in the whole thing :confused:.

I had a similar issue with Nier. I was going to replay it for the speed run trophy, and had thought of a really good name for the main character. But for some reason it wouldn't accept it! Strange bug, that.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Third Chapter is its own standalone thing with some of the side characters.

Now that 3rd is actually out in english people need to stop saying this poo poo because its a bold faced lie. 3rd wraps up a bunch of character arcs and functions way more as en epilogue to fc/sc than a side story. It also sets up an incredible amount of stuff for cold steel, zero/ao and the upcoming calvard arc.

It's also extremely good and tied with SC for my favorite trails game.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
trails 3rd is insanely good and one of the best jrpgs ever made

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

The Colonel posted:

trails 3rd is insanely good and one of the best jrpgs ever made

I can't agree with this hard enough. It's so, so good. The ending sealed it for me.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Are the PS4 Atelier games any good? Thinking of grabbing Sophie or Firis if they're anything like Ayesha.

I should look into Cold Steel and Berseria too...

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I've been in a JRPG mood for a while and I see a lot of recommendations for Trails. How would you describe the games? What's good/bad about them, what other jrpgs are they similar to, what kind of setting is it, etc.?

Also, I know I'm a weeb for asking but can you turn off or change the voices (I read it's english voice acting only)? :v:

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Your Computer posted:

I've been in a JRPG mood for a while and I see a lot of recommendations for Trails. How would you describe the games? What's good/bad about them, what other jrpgs are they similar to, what kind of setting is it, etc.?

Also, I know I'm a weeb for asking but can you turn off or change the voices (I read it's english voice acting only)? :v:

Trails in the Sky games don't have much in the way of voice acting outside battle quotes, so don't worry too much about that. Cold Steel is much more voiced and as far as dubs go, pretty solid.

The good: incredible world-building and character development. The games spend an incredible amount of time introducing you to people and places, so much so, the first entry in a given series may feel more like a slice of life game than a regular JRPG. However, it does such a good job of this that by the time the poo poo hits the fan, you actually care about the stakes and what it means for the world everyone lives in.

The bad: pacing suffers a bit sometimes due to the aforementioned. The Sky games can feel very slow mechanically as well. There are fixes for that if you don't mind using cheat engine to speed up battles.

Setting is a sort of industrial revolution by way of the magical technology of the world. Big cities are being built and technology like cars, tanks, phones for communication, etc. all come into play. An "ancient lost civilization" plays a big part too.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Your Computer posted:

the voice acting in trails of cold steel's dub is some of the industry's best, better than 95% of jp voice acting, and vastly improves the game compared to the original jp voice acting.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

the voice acting in trails of cold steel's dub is some of the industry's best, better than 95% of jp voice acting, and vastly improves the game compared to the original jp voice acting.

Yeah, honestly, the English dub of Cold Steel is great while the Japanese one is pretty lackluster from everything I've heard. It's not terrible or anything but Rean Coldsteel alone is a big improvement.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Your Computer posted:

The main draw for most folks is that it exhibits exceptional world building, in that it is not afraid to take its time on setting up various scenarios and events and then reap the benefits of player emotional investment for when things get rolling. You have a whole 7 (going on 8 soon) games, that dedicate themselves to exploring this world, but unlike so many other JRPG attempts at that sort of episodic storytelling each entry feels fully realized and fleshed out. By breaking it up by general locale (i.e. the first three games take place in Liberl, the next two take place in Crossbell, and the three after that in Erebonia) you also get some breaths of fresh air so it's not like you're retreading old content constantly. All in all it's just an incredibly charming story and set of characters and it's very easy to get invested in it. The pacing is probably the biggest hurdle since the initial games in each arc tends to take a while to ramp up as it introduces all of the major players and story beats.

That's not to say the gameplay isn't fun either, Falcom has come up with a fairly slick system that is a combination of turn and grid based combat, with a lot of different ways to tackle given problems. The Sky trilogy could have probably used faster animations or better yet animation skips entirely, something that was fixed in Cold Steel, but it's not too bad and if you get really sick of it you can speed it up a bit with cheatengine on the PC.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

rean goes from kinda eh to really likable based solely on his dub performance (and to be fair, some of the rewrites done to him in localization)

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Endorph posted:

rean goes from kinda eh to really likable based solely on his dub performance (and to be fair, some of the rewrites done to him in localization)

Hm? What were these rewrites?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

U-DO Burger posted:

not like, one major sweeping change that you can point to, or some actual detail of his characterization or backstory being altered, just writing him to make less bland neutral statements and more actual shows of personality, and generally emote more/seem more invested in the world around him. plus trying to get more of his lines voiced.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

U-DO Burger posted:

They didn't do anything massive they just injected a bit more personality into what were pretty dry 'player avatar' lines.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I think something similar happened in Phoenix Wright.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Sean Chiplock is super into the role too which is very endearing. I was kind of cool on Rean in general in Cold Steel 1 but he was a lot of fun in the sequel, and everything I've seen of the third game is making his arc seem pretty special.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Pollyanna posted:

Are the PS4 Atelier games any good? Thinking of grabbing Sophie or Firis if they're anything like Ayesha.

They're okay if a bit bland.

Sophie is a fairly average entry in the series without anything really standing out but nothing offensive about it either.

Firis is very experimental (probably in response to criticisms of Sophie) but I haven't sunk a lot of time into it yet. A lot of people here seem to dislike the side characters a lot in it for various reasons.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Endorph posted:

not like, one major sweeping change that you can point to, or some actual detail of his characterization or backstory being altered, just writing him to make less bland neutral statements and more actual shows of personality, and generally emote more/seem more invested in the world around him. plus trying to get more of his lines voiced.

ah, I see. I've gotta say, that was a really good localization decision because I actually liked Rean whenever he wasn't doing his generic player insert lines

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the replies! The Trails in the Sky games are pretty cheap on Steam so I might have to try 'em out. How long are the games? I'm the "exhaust every dialogue and fully explore every area" type, so assume that I'll do every optional thing.

Honestly, the two biggest things that have kept me from impulse buying them are the voice acting and character portraits. Dumb and minor things for sure, but we all have our pet peeves :v: I'm still wondering if it's possible to mute or switch out the voices even if it's just combat sounds, since it's the kind of thing that I know will grate on me. Just seeing names like Johnny Bosch sends chills down my spine.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Mokinokaro posted:

They're okay if a bit bland.

Sophie is a fairly average entry in the series without anything really standing out but nothing offensive about it either.

Firis is very experimental (probably in response to criticisms of Sophie) but I haven't sunk a lot of time into it yet. A lot of people here seem to dislike the side characters a lot in it for various reasons.

That sucks. I liked Ayesha...is Berseria still good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Your Computer posted:

Thanks for the replies! The Trails in the Sky games are pretty cheap on Steam so I might have to try 'em out. How long are the games? I'm the "exhaust every dialogue and fully explore every area" type, so assume that I'll do every optional thing.

Honestly, the two biggest things that have kept me from impulse buying them are the voice acting and character portraits. Dumb and minor things for sure, but we all have our pet peeves :v: I'm still wondering if it's possible to mute or switch out the voices even if it's just combat sounds, since it's the kind of thing that I know will grate on me. Just seeing names like Johnny Bosch sends chills down my spine.

I have 46 hours in the first, 73 in the second, and 42 in the third, and those are all 100% playthroughs. So it's a good chunk of game.