Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Yep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous John
Mar 8, 2002
Oh noes, Radiohead is problematic now.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I think his comments about the dangers of division were pretty spot-on, actually. The closing paragraph hits the nail on the head.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
If they think there should be a dialog then they should probably start by offering their actual opinion on the situation instead of taking personal offense that people would dare ask them what their opinion is

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax

Decades posted:

If they think there should be a dialog then they should probably start by offering their actual opinion on the situation instead of taking personal offense that people would dare ask them what their opinion is

Expect nobody asked them their opinion. Instead, 50 some artists signed a letter condemning their playing in Israel.

quote:

Recently, several of Radiohead’s contemporaries signed an open letter asking the band “to think again” about playing a concert in Tel Aviv, Israel scheduled for next month. The likes of Roger Waters, Thurston Moore, TV on the Radio’s Tunde Adebimpe, and 50 others put their names to the letter, which argues that “by playing in Israel you’ll be playing in a state where, UN rapporteurs say, ‘a system of apartheid has been imposed on the Palestinian people.’”

https://consequenceofsound.net/2017/06/thom-yorke-claps-back-at-roger-waters-after-calls-for-radiohead-to-boycott-israel/

Part of what they're taking offense to is that these jackasses did this instead of trying to talk to them about this personally.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
You're saying the problem is that the NO APARTHEID banners at his shows didn't have a question mark on the end?

They're well aware of the substantial questions at hand and have deliberately still not addressed them

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax
"It's deeply distressing that they chose to, rather than engage with us personally, throw poo poo at us in public"

I don't know how that's unclear.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Thom may be right, but he's also being super naive.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
You're right, he's offended that a few of his friends didn't call him about it, and that's fine I guess. I was reading it in part about his relationship with the band's fans, but that's not actually what's concerning him at all.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I don't agree with Thom here and I think he's being super naive.

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax
super naive

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

super naive

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
super naive

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Thom is a multi millionaire rockstar who has been famous and wealthy since his early 20s. That's why he, as a grown-rear end 50 year old man, can be quoted saying things like:

quote:

His hatred of cars was tied into his general disdain for a society where, he once said, "people get up too early to leave houses where they don't want to live, to drive to jobs where they don't want to be, in one of the most dangerous forms of transport on Earth. I've never gotten used to that."

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
Maybe this whole thing would be resolved if we just introduce Colin Greenwood to a nice Palestinian girl

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
not that thom's response was great, but tbh alternate universe radiohead boycotting Israel wouldn't help anybody in any way

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The song's nice enough. The video's great though. I'm surprised to see them bothering to produce a video considering they barely ever do anymore.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Princeps32 posted:

not that thom's response was great, but tbh alternate universe radiohead boycotting Israel wouldn't help anybody in any way

Yes it would

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Steve2911 posted:

The song's nice enough. The video's great though. I'm surprised to see them bothering to produce a video considering they barely ever do anymore.

The Daydreaming video was an all time great. Was really hoping for a few more from A Moon Shaped Pool after that one.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Should we expect rich, famous, possibly drug-addled, developmentally arrested rock stars to be paragons of virtue and champions of social and political justice?

Yes.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
This song is kind of ho hum but I'm still very excited for Lift.

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax
Some very lovely quality leaks of Man O War and Lift are going around.

Both songs are quite disappointing. They sound exactly like live version with little innovation in the studio outside of some synth strings. Overall I'd give all 3 previously unreleased songs 6/10 or so. Really actually hoping these are really well done fakes.

AARO fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jun 19, 2017

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

AARO posted:

Expect nobody asked them their opinion. Instead, 50 some artists signed a letter condemning their playing in Israel.

Part of what they're taking offense to is that these jackasses did this instead of trying to talk to them about this personally.

Do you really not get the point of signing a public letter like that?

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

AARO posted:

Some very lovely quality leaks of Man O War and Lift are going around.

Both songs are quite disappointing. They sound exactly like live version with little innovation in the studio outside of some synth strings. Overall I'd give all 3 previously unreleased songs 6/10 or so. Really actually hoping these are really well done fakes.

Actually, there is a guy who use to create "studio" versions of unreleased songs such as Follow Me Around, Morning Mr. Magpie, and Big Boots. And he use to do it by taking live versions of the songs and overlaying his own instrumentation so... Maybe they're just his?

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax

Mutant Standard posted:

Actually, there is a guy who use to create "studio" versions of unreleased songs such as Follow Me Around, Morning Mr. Magpie, and Big Boots. And he use to do it by taking live versions of the songs and overlaying his own instrumentation so... Maybe they're just his?

Let me know if you think they're real.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
RE: OKNOTOK
Dear goon

It has come to our attention that there is a manufacturing delay for vinyl being pressed in the USA and for this reason we have to let you know that your vinyl album won’t be shipped until early July.

We apologise profusely for this and so you don’t miss out on release day we will be sending you a digital download of the album, so please look out for a further e-mail on Friday 23rd June.

Once again, huge apologies.

All @ w.a.s.t.e

oh well. at least ill hear it friday

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
They're still way ahead of Nine Inch Nails; we NIN fans are still waiting for the vinyls we ordered in December.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Thom and the Heads posted:

RE: OKNOTOK
Dear goon

It has come to our attention that there is a manufacturing delay for vinyl being pressed in the USA and for this reason we have to let you know that your vinyl album won’t be shipped until early July.

We apologise profusely for this and so you don’t miss out on release day we will be sending you a digital download of the album, so please look out for a further e-mail on Friday 23rd June.

Once again, huge apologies.

All @ w.a.s.t.e

oh well. at least ill hear it friday

I haven't gotten this email (yet).

When did you place your order?

[Edit: looks like this is for the vinyl-only orders, no one that ordered the boxset has gotten an email about a delay yet]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jun 21, 2017

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

lelandjs posted:

I haven't gotten this email (yet).

When did you place your order?

[Edit: looks like this is for the vinyl-only orders, no one that ordered the boxset has gotten an email about a delay yet]

Ordered May 3rd - can confirm it is vinyl only

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

big boots video

http://www.radiohead.com/deadairspace/20170622

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
E: See above and don't let me post from my phone ever again

But yeah, that's a good track and a great video.

Real Name Grover fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jun 22, 2017

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Ah, the elusive 2-poster double post.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

I don't know if I'm happy or disappointed that it's exactly what I expected it to sound like.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

That video's great. Radiohead should do more videos. drat it Radiohead.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

I miss the "what a nasty surprise" lyric. And I seem to recall the early version also had a glockenspiel.

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax
Video is cool. Song is good.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

I wonder why this got cut originally from the album?

It sort of reminds me of Creep so my theory is they wanted to avoid again

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
The hook reminds me a lot of "Just."

I dunno; I think it would've been out of place on OKC, but that's the case for a lot of the B-sides for me, too

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I just got my email link for the download!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

lelandjs posted:

I don't know if I'm happy or disappointed that it's exactly what I expected it to sound like.

Neither of these songs are really all that different from how they were performed live at the time, and I suspect Lift will be more of the same.

Having said that, there's a reason Big Boots and Lift have been fan favorites for 20 years, and the Big Boots video captures it perfectly. It actually makes me a little angry the band didn't think this was good enough for release in 98, because it's such a solid performance.

I might've missed it, but I didn't see anyone post a link to the video they also did for I Promise. It's peak Radiohead.