Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
question about bekker's twisted mirror: if there are multiple lowest units in the game, it should be random which one gets the buff right? or does the game prioritize your opponents units somehow? because i just lost two games in a row where my opponent had one really high unit and one unit at 1 strength and i had three 1 strength units on the board neither of which got the buff. i normally don't get mad at video games but that poo poo tilts me like nothing else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
It prioritizes same-side swaps.
Priestess of Freya can go straight to hell.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

The Gorp posted:

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010

Lester Shy posted:

Did Spell Scoiatael get hit too hard by the recent nerfs to be viable? I just opened Ithlinne and I'm trying to decide if spending 1600 scrap to finish the deck is worth it. I haven't played a single Scioatael game, but I love annoying, non-interactive decks.

It's strong enough for multiple players to reach top 10 with.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

The Gorp posted:

This hasn't been my experience. I'm not sure but I think it's just random.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
In two instances I have had 4 or 6 harpy eggs and the opponent has had one Priestess of Freya.
In both cases and a few others where I'm too dumb to see that I'm tied, it always stays on the opponents side.

Maybe I'm just the unluckiest person in the world but I haven't seen it transition sides once if both players have a lowest unit.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

I think that's just your bad luck. Plenty of times I've seen it switch sides when there were 1-power units on both sides of the board.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Are you guys serious? Of course it's random.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
Guess I'm wrong.
I never saw a sideswap if a same-side was possible, both when I'm playing with or against it.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I think the mirror takes damage into account. For instance if you have a 1 strength on your side that's been damaged to 1 and a base 1 strength unit on your opponents board it should prioritise your damaged 1 strength unit. I could be remembering completely wrong but I think I've done that in one of my games. But of course it could be totally gently caress random and I just got lucky :v:

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

It's just random, there's not much to it. The game doesn't want you to do blind mirrors with several 1 str units on each side of the board and get away with it all the time, so the random factor is a a potential punish(and also a cap on the card power itself), so don't gently caress it up by letting those priestess/medics survive or messing up with weather damage.

Bekker's Twisted Mirror is a fun card and it takes awhile to actually know how to use it properly despite how straightforward it looks.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I think the mirror takes damage into account. For instance if you have a 1 strength on your side that's been damaged to 1 and a base 1 strength unit on your opponents board it should prioritise your damaged 1 strength unit. I could be remembering completely wrong but I think I've done that in one of my games. But of course it could be totally gently caress random and I just got lucky :v:

It definitely doesn't do that. It will prioritize same side swaps over damage. Earliest played unit is the priority if a same side swap isn't possible (ie - if you play a harpy after they rot tosser you and then you Bekker's and it's between the cow carcass and the harpy egg, it'll buff the cow carcass).

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

lmao just got my first rage quit with the NG anti-Skellige deck that Iv'e been messing with. Resurrected two of their queensguard to my side and locked two of their bears and resurrected one to my side so they just forfeited at round 2.

So far it's not the most consistent deck though, it does well against Skellige and other NG decks but usually gets wrecked by consume decks.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

The Gorp posted:

It's good, and by that I mean it's the single Monsters deck at the moment.
A bear or two utterly ruins it because of how many units spawn, and putting any form of weather on the ranged row basically kills the deck.

I added a Yennefer to it and the unicorn spawn is loving disgusting with the 50 billion units Consume decks poo poo out. Switching between NG spies and consume is depressing though because the spy deck you're scrapping and tightly trying to control the board and with monsters you're just making GBS threads out these massive power swings. Consume has so much power compared to NG decks.

Electronico6 posted:

Rainfarn was great pre-nerf, and was enabling the spy deck along side Ciri, more so than Tibor or RNR. Right now he is good with Fringilla but finding a spot unless your running a dedicated deck with her is kinda hard.

Vilgefortz is nice, though missing an ever present roach and constant blind pulls makes him frustrating. Often these days I use him more as a scorch than anything else. I miss Skellen but he just doesn't fit in these days.

So I've been tinkering around with a combo of Vilgefortz, Stefan Skellen, John Calveit, and 1 or 2 Impera Enforcers. Basically knowing what card is on top allows you to make some Imper Enforcers gold and then guarantees what card you pick up with Vilgefortz. It's been interesting.

My spy decks consistently get through my entire deck by round 3 or get down to 2-3 cards left depending on how I play it so I can guarantee I pick up every silver and gold I have. It's caused me to push more towards a control deck but it's still not wildly effective because there's no power in this deck.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
I just got villentretenmerth ahhhh :X

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Darke GBF posted:

It definitely doesn't do that. It will prioritize same side swaps over damage. Earliest played unit is the priority if a same side swap isn't possible (ie - if you play a harpy after they rot tosser you and then you Bekker's and it's between the cow carcass and the harpy egg, it'll buff the cow carcass).

i just had a situation where i had 4 harpy eggs on the board, my opponent had a 14 strength johnny. opponent plays a rot tosser, i play bekker's. gonna let you guess what happened.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Welp, started running into the loving bears builds. Good lord, 3 loving bears at once is beyond irritating.

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

I've played a lot with BTM and I'm 99% sure it's random when it comes to ties. I've gambled with it before and it behaves about how I'd expect it to. Win some, lose some, doesn't really seem to matter about stuff like play order or whose side of the board it targets. I can recall cases where I've managed to steal games by doing this, and times when with the exact same setup it's backfired.

In other words you should never actually rely on this card if there's a tie on the board. The only time you should play it in this situation is if you're going to lose anyway. Otherwise hold on to it and try to knock out their low str units with frost or rain. Also dont be afraid to swap with a "low" target, swapping between a 1 and an 8 is still like playing a 14 point silver, which isn't bad.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Rainfarn is loving useless.

I've been testing out Vilgefortz with it now. I think finding the right combo of golds is what's screwing with me.

Despite her low power value Ciri is still amazing. She's actually an awesome spy in disguise.

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
I want like a 20 power neutral spy that just draws the top card in your deck

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Subvisual Haze posted:

Despite her low power value Ciri is still amazing. She's actually an awesome spy in disguise.

Which Ciri? Regular gold Ciri?

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Play Ciri to give yourself a 15-20 point lead and watch the other player descend into indecisive anguish. Do they go down 2 more cards to win the round at huge card cost but deny you Ciri back? Or do they pass giving you the easy first round and also your Ciri back as card advantage. Bring along Roach's weak rear end for another 4 points unto the decision ledger.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Which Ciri? Regular gold Ciri?

Ya boring 5 power Ciri.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Subvisual Haze posted:

Play Ciri to give yourself a 15-20 point lead and watch the other player descend into indecisive anguish. Do they go down 2 more cards to win the round at huge card cost but deny you Ciri back? Or do they pass giving you the easy first round and also your Ciri back as card advantage. Bring along Roach's weak rear end for another 4 points unto the decision ledger.

Uh other way around. Ciri returns to your hand when you LOSE the round.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Subvisual Haze posted:

Regular Ciri is just the 5 points though so with Roach it's only 9 points on the board. Do you mean when you're already up a little bit because that makes sense.

My problem with the Ciri/Roach combo is they take up precious spots from other cards that I prefer.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

steakmancer posted:

I want like a 20 power neutral spy that just draws the top card in your deck
I think the devs took the right approach this time giving each faction one silver spy. It's such a strong effect that capping it and making it even between factions is the only solution.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Regular Ciri is just the 5 points though so with Roach it's only 9 points on the board. Do you mean when you're already up a little bit because that makes sense.

My problem with the Ciri/Roach combo is they take up precious spots from other cards that I prefer.

Yeah, once you understand what Ciri does related to card advantage and tempo the rest of the game just falls into place. The fact that she comes back into your hand (not just stays on the board) in a loss is enormous in making sure you have more cards in round 3 and can make the last play(s).

She's like a spy that gives +5 to you instead of -10.

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

RatHat posted:

Uh other way around. Ciri returns to your hand when you LOSE the round.

Yes, that's the point. You play her while you're ahead, that way your opponent either needs to pass and hand you an easy win, or you throw the round next turn and come out with a 2 card advantage. You should almost never play ciri while behind on points.

EvilMike fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jun 21, 2017

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I finally reached rank 11!!

With that I think I can leave my NG Reveal deck, and try other things. Maybe some gimmick decks in casual mode.

Or at least that was my plan. The reward for rank 11 is 4 kegs. The first gave me Morkvarg. The second Gremist. And the the third an Axeman (with that, now I have three).
It's like the game is saying me to fall into temptation and do a SK deck like everyone else...

Is this not-poo poo?

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jun 21, 2017

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

I think the best feeling in this game, outside of beating the stupid bear deck, is when you go head to head against someone playing the same style deck and win. I'm 5-0 with my Consume deck against other Consume decks in ranked matches.

:feelsgood:

Subvisual Haze posted:

Yeah, once you understand what Ciri does related to card advantage and tempo the rest of the game just falls into place. The fact that she comes back into your hand (not just stays on the board) in a loss is enormous in making sure you have more cards in round 3 and can make the last play(s).

She's like a spy that gives +5 to you instead of -10.

Ahhh yea I see what you mean. Hmmm might need to test that out somewhat.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
what sort of twisted freak plays drought and ragh nar roog

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Up Circle posted:

what sort of twisted freak plays drought and ragh nar roog

Someone who really likes pretty animations.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The Gorp posted:

you're full of poo poo

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Feeling pretty good about the ST deck I made yesterday that uses the move/boost archetype. Climbed 2 ranks to rank 8 after a shaky start this morning. Baby steps :shobon:

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
So my record for this patch with my old Queensguard deck is, 5-4 against Monsters, 2-0 against Nilfguard, 6-2 against Northern Realms. 3-2 against Scoia'tael and 5-20 against Skellige.

What deck beats Kambi and axe men while having an ok time against Monsters? Since that accounts for 90% of the decks i am against i might as well focus on them.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

CJ posted:

So my record for this patch with my old Queensguard deck is, 5-4 against Monsters, 2-0 against Nilfguard, 6-2 against Northern Realms. 3-2 against Scoia'tael and 5-20 against Skellige.

What deck beats Kambi and axe men while having an ok time against Monsters? Since that accounts for 90% of the decks i am against i might as well focus on them.

If you can get good with a specials deck that'll do it but it's a tricky thing to master. Also, consume decks can go toe to toe if you're careful with decent draws.

Relentlessboredomm fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jun 21, 2017

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

CJ posted:

Personally I like playing a weird dagon fog deck with more spells than normal, with the idea of teching against both monsters and skellege. Win about 4/5 against the former, 2/3 against the latter. The main reason I play it though is just to annoy skellege players by stealing morkvaarg or super buffed axemen. It's not the strongest option available, but it's worth it for the occasional time someone concedes the game in round 1 and doesn't send gg. The better players know how to get around this, but the thing about flavour of the week decks is that most of the people playing them are really bad at the game.

Letho decks can also do funny things by banishing all their melee row, or by eating lord of undvik (banishing it won't trigger the graveyard effect). These kinds of decks are really hard to play well though.

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

EvilMike posted:

Personally I like playing a weird dagon fog deck with more spells than normal, with the idea of teching against both monsters and skellege. Win about 4/5 against the former, 2/3 against the latter. The main reason I play it though is just to annoy skellege players by stealing morkvaarg or super buffed axemen. It's not the strongest option available, but it's worth it for the occasional time someone concedes the game in round 1 and doesn't send gg. The better players know how to get around this, but the thing about flavour of the week decks is that most of the people playing them are really bad at the game.

Letho decks can also do funny things by banishing all their melee row, or by eating lord of undvik (banishing it won't trigger the graveyard effect). These kinds of decks are really hard to play well though.

Yeah I've been using letho+dbomb and it's pretty difficult to set up but is very satisfying when it's successful.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I've been using this Monsters consume deck to great success. The matchup against Dagon is a bit rough but it does really well against everyone else. The only issue I have with the deck is that sometimes you get screwed in the mulligan but usually it's fine.

Also Grave hag is really underrated.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jun 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I really wanted to play consume but Succubus being broken on consoles kinda throws that out the window.