Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Paul MaudDib posted:

Look at benchmarks for the Radeon 7950/280 and extrapolate, that's roughly a similar card. You would probably make like $3-4 a day and spend $1-2 of that in electricity. I wouldn't do that while you are running the A/C unless that room is shut off so the heat can't escape into the rest of the house.

Reminder: in a datacenter you double the expected cost of power, because you need to air-condition that heat back out. Factor that into your costs if you are running A/C.

$4 per day is better than I thought, but electricity is really expensive in Australia - my parents pay around $2k a year, and it's expected to go up by 20-30% over the next year or two. I'd rather not exacerbate the cost for them if it's going to use that much power.

Edit: I'd never even considered the risk of malware - no thanks I'm going to pass.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jun 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
you should probably throw out your phone and disconnect from the internet too if you want to be really safe. Its a risk but so is going outside

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Not mine but fitting for the thread.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MaxxBot posted:

Anyone have experience with powered PCI-E risers? I'm trying to find a reputable brand as I hear that a lot of them have QC issues.

I also would like to know what makes one good and which ones to buy. Im building a new gaming PC and I plan on tossing 2-3 of my older cards into my old pc and I want to do it right without burning down my home with a 4 year old mobo

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Fruit Chewy posted:

My 1080ti apparently does around $10/day on nicehash with a super modest OC. I

What is Nicehash picking for you mostly? I am trying to figure out why my 1080ti is only doing about $8 a day right now, it seems to only want to pick Lbry and Lyra2REv2.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Cinara posted:

What is Nicehash picking for you mostly? I am trying to figure out why my 1080ti is only doing about $8 a day right now, it seems to only want to pick Lbry and Lyra2REv2.

Is it ccminer-alexis? Disable it for all algorithms afaik. It falsely reports much higher than you actually get.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Cinara posted:

The dollar amount and algorithm selection fluctuates a lot, my 1080 Ti is doing the same thing right now. From what I have seen with the 1080 Ti Equihash is the most commonly run followed by Lbry and Lyra2REv2 with the others rarely running.

EDIT: As an example when I made this post my 1080 Ti had been sitting at $8/Day for a while and now it's at $9 and climbing, you see swings like that all the time.

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jun 21, 2017

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Fauxtool posted:

you should probably throw out your phone and disconnect from the internet too if you want to be really safe. Its a risk but so is going outside

Honestly. Back up any data you can't afford to replace to a big mechanical drive and disconnect it before you get started. Anything else you lose is probably softened by the cash cushion you've made.

Yes, that means you're buying hardware due to your mining habit and that's a step to moron-dom, but this one gets an exemption because you should have loving backups anyway.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Updated to a fork of Nicehash that someone built to support EWBF for Equihash which is getting $9.80/day right now. Apparently the classic miner isn't being updated as much with 2.0 being worked on. Mine was literally never picking anything but Lbry and Lyra2REv2.

https://github.com/DillonN/NiceHashMiner/releases/tag/1.7.5.17

Once EVGA finishes my step up I can start my second card going, $20/day would be awesome.

Cinara fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Jun 21, 2017

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Sweet that gave a nice speed boost, thanks for the link.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I got a minor boost, like 7% with a 1070. Any special settings?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

has anyone said buttcoin yet?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ghostlight posted:

has anyone said buttcoin yet?

Yeah in the other 2 threads, a lot

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Cinara posted:

Updated to a fork of Nicehash that someone built to support EWBF for Equihash which is getting $9.80/day right now. Apparently the classic miner isn't being updated as much with 2.0 being worked on. Mine was literally never picking anything but Lbry and Lyra2REv2.

https://github.com/DillonN/NiceHashMiner/releases/tag/1.7.5.17

Once EVGA finishes my step up I can start my second card going, $20/day would be awesome.

Holy gently caress this gave me another 100sols/s, thank you. Wish I knew about this a month ago.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
is that just for the EWFB or for the claymore too? Are you setting it to only mine 1 pool or leaving it free to move around?

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

LOL

but seriously can somebody explain dual mining with a custom nicehash build for nVidia cards? Like, which build do I get, do I have to set up 2 instances, etc.?

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Fauxtool posted:

is that just for the EWFB or for the claymore too? Are you setting it to only mine 1 pool or leaving it free to move around?

Just mining zCash with all cryptos enabled in settings. I'm getting 780sols/s with two 980s. Dual mining doesn't appear to work on Maxwell cards, so it is just the single miner.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
390s selling for 300-350 USD :raise: You're talking about 280ish watts for 30-35 MH/s

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Paul MaudDib posted:

Consider the following: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1742287615000559

NVIDIA's drivers are a little better about not allowing super dumb poo poo but overall GPUs are designed around a "high performance computation" model. For example on non-ECC NVIDIA GPUs, hardware ties into the host in kernel mode for performance, memory is not zero'd between reallocation between programs, etc. And yes, in general it's like working on a microcontroller sometimes, boundaries and fault conditions that you expect in CPU world may or may not exist. This isn't a model built around an assumption of possible bad actors, it's close to the metal by design.

Would you really notice an OpenCL/CUDA thread quietly cryptolockering your files in the background, and stopping when it sees logging/tracing/mouse movement/etc? Most people aren't locked down that far.

What do you think of running the miner on a liveusb with no kernel drivers for pata, sata, and scsi controllers? I should probably vlan it too like you suggest.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Fauxtool posted:

If you buy games you can never play them because you are busy mining. If you buy a second rig capable of gaming, that means it could mine too. Help I'm trapped in a loop and my room is really warm

You can play your games when the current bubble pops. Win/win!

Crell
Nov 4, 2008

Hot Leggy Blonde, you
got it goin' on.
I was going to mess around with this for shits and giggles, so I got a wallet, and downloaded NiceHash, but it won't detect my RX470 4GB. I did some googling, and maybe I need different drivers for it to work? Anyone know whats up here?

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.
How do you guys plan on reporting this income for taxes? Capital gains? Sole proprietor small business?

Seems like the former would give better net income, but would be a huge pain to put into Schedule D with tons of small transactions. Also, if you're selling GPU power and not the actual coins, that sounds more like small business income than capital gains...

Whitest Russian
Nov 23, 2013
Could you mine in a VM to eliminate the security concerns? Or would that slow your bitgainz too much?

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

Whitest Russian posted:

Could you mine in a VM to eliminate the security concerns? Or would that slow your bitgainz too much?

I'm sure you could if you actually passed the pci-e device into it.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Pissingintowind posted:

How do you guys plan on reporting this income for taxes? Capital gains? Sole proprietor small business?

At current numbers I am looking at ~400-600 a month, enough I can just keep part as Bitcoin/Ethereum, and cash out the rest as Amazon giftcards via Gyft or buying stuff on Newegg. No reason to get taxes involved at this level of income, especially not with Bitcoin.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
I have a customer who wants me to build him a 6 gpu 1060 rig. should i tell him hes dumb or take his money

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Don Lapre posted:

I have a customer who wants me to build him a 6 gpu 1060 rig. should i tell him hes dumb or take his money

Take his money, what do 6GB 1060s cost nowadays? $300?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Don Lapre posted:

It's none of your business, just build him his poo poo. At best you should warn him about your concerns.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

Don Lapre posted:

If you don't take the money someone else will. It's not like he's going to realize he's dumb and back out; if he did he wouldn't be that dumb to begin with.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Twerk from Home posted:

Take his money, what do 6GB 1060s cost nowadays? $300?

That's 6 videocards if I read it correctly, not one 6GB card.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Don Lapre posted:

Warn him about inflated GPU costs, and if hes still fine take the money

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

He'll be making the coins anyway whether you take his fiat or not!

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Should i require payment in altcoin instead of worthless fiat?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Dren posted:

What do you think of running the miner on a liveusb with no kernel drivers for pata, sata, and scsi controllers? I should probably vlan it too like you suggest.

Does NiceHash for Linux even exist? My beef is specifically with the "program that downloads arbitrary code from the internet and runs it on your GPU" part, I think the risk of the actual official Github repositories being trojans is extremely low. And based on what people are saying about "trying a new version of Nicehash with better optimizations" I might have misunderstood how NiceHash works (although it still strikes me as a quasi-shady program overall). I am just relatively paranoid about this and would prefer to run relatively trusted builds from source where possible rather than "Free Internet Money Program, Just Run Me!". I lived through the early days of the internet and don't trust that poo poo.

Craptacular's right though, the real solution here is having backups of things you care about, but just like using pirated games from the internet, cryptomining with NiceHash strikes me as a risky activity where you should be double-sure that your backups are all in order.

Whitest Russian posted:

I actually played with this the other night and ESXi won't let me pass my NVIDIA GPU through (this is apparently feature-locked to Quadros). I had VT-d enabled and some devices showed up as passable, including even the audio controllers on the GPUs, but not the GPUs themselves. It might work with AMD, and there was also a suggestion that you could use KVM (another hypervisor) with a particular flag which nullified the check NVIDIA was doing to be sure you aren't doing passthrough on non-Quadros.

I've been wanting to try this anyway to see if I could run my whole system in hypervisor so I could dual-boot and run Linux at the same time (my desktop has tons of cores/memory to spare). In theory you shouldn't see any performance hit from passing the GPU through, VT-d gives direct access to the PCIe devices at a CPU level, there is no "shim" needed.

To jump back to Dren's post, running a miner that you compiled yourself from source (takes literally 5 minutes), inside a VLAN segment to keep it away from the rest of your network, with no local access to your drives/network access to shares/etc, sufficiently satisfies my paranoia. In theory running inside a hypervisor makes some of those conditions easier to fulfill since you're not talking about unplugging drives or your gaming PC being unable to access your fileserver, etc. You just wouldn't pass them through to that particular VM.

You don't really need to boot from USB, as long as your system can't touch anything else then the worst-case scenario is you need to re-image. But if you wanted to gild the lily a bit you could make a custom loopback image that has all your stuff installed, and then either boot that from USB (mounted RO) or PXE boot. Then your base system image would truly be immutable. Again with the VLAN thing you could easily set up a network partition where all this stuff could live and potentially be automatically quarantined based on some kind of IP/mac address filter. But if you're putting this much thought into it then you're way beyond just "run the miner directly instead of through NiceHash".

I've been needing to play with PXE too, because I have an old Thinkpad that's too old to understand how to boot from USB, and the CD drive isn't doing too hot, but it does understand how to PXE boot. PXE basically looks in a specific place for a TFTP server (I want to say on the DHCP host) so you need to do some rearranging from the typical router config but again, VLANs might come in handy so your private network can work like normal and you have separate DHCP/TFTP running for the guest VLAN segment served from a VM or something.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jun 21, 2017

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Paul MaudDib posted:

And based on what people are saying about "trying a new version of Nicehash with better optimizations" I might have misunderstood how NiceHash works (although it still strikes me as a quasi-shady program overall).

Just to clear it up, it's not actually Nicehash that is more optimized in that version, it just added support for a couple different miners that Nicehash has not added to their release yet. It's still downloading arbitrary code to run on your machine, just adds some new faster arbitrary code!

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I just saw this thread and have been looking for a place to research mining (I have multiple computers with 1060's and electricity is included with my rent).

But first can anyone tell me what these are, if they have any use or any value to anyone? Got them in a box of computer parts. Hardware ID's just relate to some kind of controller board. Thanks for any info!

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

everdave posted:

I just saw this thread and have been looking for a place to research mining (I have multiple computers with 1060's and electricity is included with my rent).

But first can anyone tell me what these are, if they have any use or any value to anyone? Got them in a box of computer parts. Hardware ID's just relate to some kind of controller board. Thanks for any info!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mint-Black-...FQAAOSwCkZZRIMu

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Wow thanks! Any way to test them before I eBay them? And LOL I remembered I had set up a Coinbase account last year so went to check it so I could follow this guide and somehow I own .004 BTC worth $11? Ha must have been some sign up bonus.

everdave fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jun 21, 2017

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

Paul MaudDib posted:

Does NiceHash for Linux even exist? My beef is specifically with the "program that downloads arbitrary code from the internet and runs it on your GPU" part, I think the risk of the actual official Github repositories being trojans is extremely low. And based on what people are saying about "trying a new version of Nicehash with better optimizations" I might have misunderstood how NiceHash works (although it still strikes me as a quasi-shady program overall). I am just relatively paranoid about this and would prefer to run relatively trusted builds from source where possible rather than "Free Internet Money Program, Just Run Me!". I lived through the early days of the internet and don't trust that poo poo.
Yeah no I don't think you've grasped what nicehash is. Nicehash basically just installs a bunch of different cryptominers and keeps track of which would currently make you the most, automatically switching which one is running at any given time. Most of these miners are open source. There are some proprietary closed source miners included but the first time you run nicehash it warns you that those ones are proprietary and points you to the setting in options which lets you turn off proprietary miners, limiting yourself to only open source miners. So if you're paranoid you can stick with only open source miners. Of course nicehash itself could potentially be malicious and nobody realizes it yet, but this applies to literally any new software you ever download whether it's got anything to do with buttcoins or not. If you want to go to a higher level of paranoia you can just manually set up an open source miner without using anything like nicehash, but at that point you probably should never install any proprietary software for any non-buttcoin purpose because any of that could be malicious too.

edit: wait, brain fart - I forgot nicehash itself is open source too. So ignore part of the last thing I said

Col.Kiwi fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jun 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Paul MaudDib posted:

Craptacular's right though, the real solution here is having backups of things you care about, but just like using pirated games from the internet, cryptomining with NiceHash strikes me as a risky activity where you should be double-sure that your backups are all in order.

I actually played with this the other night and ESXi won't let me pass my NVIDIA GPU through (this is apparently feature-locked to Quadros). I had VT-d enabled and some devices showed up as passable, including even the audio controllers on the GPUs, but not the GPUs themselves. It might work with AMD, and there was also a suggestion that you could use KVM (another hypervisor) with a particular flag which nullified the check NVIDIA was doing to be sure you aren't doing passthrough on non-Quadros.

I've been wanting to try this anyway to see if I could run my whole system in hypervisor so I could dual-boot and run Linux at the same time. In theory you shouldn't see any performance hit from passing the GPU through, VT-d gives direct access to the PCIe devices.

To jump back to Dren's post, running a miner that you compiled yourself from source (takes literally 5 minutes), inside a VLAN segment to keep it away from the rest of your network, with no local access to your drives/network access to shares/etc, sufficiently satisfies my paranoia. In theory running inside a hypervisor makes some of those conditions easier to fulfill since you're not talking about unplugging drives or your gaming PC being unable to access your fileserver, etc. You just wouldn't pass them through to that particular VM.

You don't really need to boot from USB, as long as your system can't touch anything else then the worst-case scenario is you need to re-image. But if you wanted to gild the lily a bit you could make a custom loopback image that has all your stuff installed, and then either boot that from USB (mounted RO) or PXE boot. Then your base system image would truly be immutable. Again with the VLAN thing you could easily set up a network partition where all this stuff could live and potentially be automatically quarantined based on some kind of IP/mac address filter. But if you're putting this much thought into it then you're way beyond just "run the miner directly instead of through NiceHash".

I've been needing to play with PXE too, because I have an old Thinkpad that's too old to understand how to boot from USB, and the CD drive isn't doing too hot, but it does understand how to PXE boot. PXE basically looks in a specific place for a TFTP server (I want to say on the DHCP host) so you need to do some rearranging from the typical router config but again, VLANs might come in handy so your private network can work like normal and you have separate DHCP/TFTP running for the guest VLAN segment served from a VM or something.

NiceHash for Linux doesn't seem to exist. I did some really cursory googling and thought that it did. My reason for wanting Nicehash is that it's doing the automatic switching from coin to coin to maximize profitability. I guess I could just mine eth or whatever and skip Nicehash, I don't think your concerns are really that far fetched considering the scammy and terrible reputation of everything crypto. Especially since if you're running Nicehash you're running all sorts of miners.

I haven't set up VT-D with pci-e passthrough, last I looked it seemed like kind of a pain in the rear end. My guess is that it doesn't fully address the security concerns but I don't know the architecture well enough to say.

• Locked thread