Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Rebellion got stripped of their podium because of that hole they were using to restart the engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
lmao Alex Brundle is now a podium finisher at the 24 Hours of Le Mans.

Now that all needs to happen is for Alex to get a ride with Toyota and follow in his dad's footsteps :dukedog:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

On one side, rules are rules, on the other, that was a nifty way of getting around the problem.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

That is the most letter vs spirit interpretation I have ever seen.

And it's lovely.

Dammit ACO, can you go at least one year without some bullshit ruling?

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
That's really retarded that they enforced that and doing so goes against the whole spirit of endurance racing imho

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

For the record, I am not going to rescore the competition. The ACO can eat a bag of dicks, again.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

i like that if a dude had remembered to tape over the hole on the last stop, somehow that would have fixed everything in the ACO's eyes.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

ACO dumb as gently caress? Check.

Cutting a hole in the cover to get at the faulty starter is definitely suspect but I can't help but give bonus points for sheer ingenuity. The car did start under its own power and ran the whole race, it just needed a love tap on the starter to do it.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I remember someone posting about Rebellion pounding on stuff with a hammer during stops and it's now really cool and still funny.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

1500quidporsche posted:

I don't think it was for GT1 but didn't Porsche once argue that since they had the amount of cars necessary in parts that they met the homologation requirements?

That was for the Porsche 917, and no they weren't able to successfully convince the FIA inspectors to homologate the car based on that. So Ferdinand Piech, the James Bond villain that he is, ordered his mechanics to work around the clock to build the 25 cars, which he then parked outside the company headquarters for the inspectors' next visit a month later. Apparently he offered the inspector the opportunity to drive any of the cars in the lineup, but it was declined.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Schlesische posted:

Aston Martin has been running a Vantage since like 2011 (and they also entered with one in 2009). It's been updated to take full advantage of shifting regulations during that time, but it's been the same platform the whole way through. Next year the platform changes to the replacement for the Vantage which is yet to be unveiled. Some lower-tier non-works Astons will still be the current Vantage because money.

The giant gently caress-off diffuser version was new for last year is what I meant.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

drgitlin posted:

The giant gently caress-off diffuser version was new for last year is what I meant.

So was the escape hatch and a couple other things because of the regulation changes, but while others made new cars, Aston's is just a revision of the current AFAIK. The biggest change for them is the partnership with Dunlop, which is why I had them tabbed to take class this year.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

MrChips posted:

That was for the Porsche 917, and no they weren't able to successfully convince the FIA inspectors to homologate the car based on that. So Ferdinand Piech, the James Bond villain that he is, ordered his mechanics to work around the clock to build the 25 cars, which he then parked outside the company headquarters for the inspectors' next visit a month later. Apparently he offered the inspector the opportunity to drive any of the cars in the lineup, but it was declined.

And if any of us were that inspector... our response would have been "omg YES"

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robby Gordon got banned from racing in Austrailia for his SST stunt. So either there's no SST races in Austrailia next year or Robby just doesn't drive in them. I do find it quite funny that the only guys he asked for permission were a pair of nightclub bouncers though.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

You do doughnuts in an unlicenced, non-road compliant vehicle on public roads I don't think there's many countries that wouldn't throw the book at you.

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005
€1000 (apparently) fine for a thumbs up, and an apology:

Vincent Capillaire posted:

Saturday evening, during the race, I was waiting for my relay, helmet on the head at my box.
I wanted to show my encouragement to the leader car, stopped at red light a few meters in front of my box. .
It was a spontaneous encouragement mark as it happens between pilots.
I was fined by Stewards for this gesture and I admit it was inopportune. I regret that.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
The ACO/FIA is the least of his worries.

Not too many places in the world that you can hide from yakuza.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Wirth1000 posted:

The ACO/FIA is the least of his worries.

Not too many places in the world that you can hide from yakuza.

He's never going to step foot in Nagoya ever again. He might not make it to Fuji Speedway if he's racing in the WEC.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
IIRC the Yakuza has pretty strict rules against murdering foreigners because of the attention it would inevitably draw upon their connections to local politicians

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

VikingSkull posted:

IIRC the Yakuza has pretty strict rules against murdering foreigners because of the attention it would inevitably draw upon their connections to local politicians

Toyota has enough funds to override the risk to profit ratio for the Yakuza.

2018 Le Mans prediction: Toyota curse strikes again when they finally win but are DSQ'ed because they've been indicted in the charge of hiring numerous Yakuza to literally murder the rest of the LMP1 class the night before the race.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Xisticide posted:

€1000 (apparently) fine for a thumbs up, and an apology:

https://streamable.com/kvdca

Fair call, imo

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
What if Toyota enter all the cars in next year's Le Mans?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Wirth1000 posted:

Toyota has enough funds to override the risk to profit ratio for the Yakuza.

2018 Le Mans prediction: Toyota curse strikes again when they finally win but are DSQ'ed because they've been indicted in the charge of hiring numerous Yakuza to literally murder the rest of the LMP1 class the night before the race.
Porsche still take 1 and 3 after debuting a fully autonomous car and pit crew with technology stolen from UFOs.

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013

julian assflange posted:

What if Toyota enter all the cars in next year's Le Mans?

Welcome to the first 8 Hours of Le Mans!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I would find it pretty funny if Toyota just added another car every time they failed to win. Might be the only way you get the LMP1 field into double digits.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I just remembered that Audi turned down Penske who wanted to run their cars at Lemans, and assuming they didnt break, they probably would have won. lol

I know its all theoretical but im here to say: Juan would have won the triple crown if audi werent wussies about their """"BRAND""""

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Cygni posted:

I just remembered that Audi turned down Penske who wanted to run their cars at Lemans, and assuming they didnt break, they probably would have won. lol

I know its all theoretical but im here to say: Juan would have won the triple crown if audi werent wussies about their """"BRAND""""

That same thought hit me last night. We'd of seriously had a "privateer" win P1 and JPM get his.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Wasn't Audi's shift to all-electric racing a VW group decision? I'd love to see more factories in LMP1 but Merc and Ferrari are both focused on F1 so who's left after that? I'd get very, very excited about an LMP1 with the McLaren P1 power train and sound but after their recent F1 efforts they have enough problems.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I can sort of see Nissan and GM trying (probably under a non-Chevy marque), given both of them are focused on electrics. Maybe Honda but they have bigger fish to fry right now over in F1. Ford has minimal interest in hybrids outside of legal reqs.

Mind you, both of those also have DPi programs which are a substantial fraction of the cost of an LMP1 program.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

The only other companies that *might* give a poo poo are Peugeot and Renault, but Renault is busy with F1 and Peugeot is busy making the blandest cars known to mankind and don't really feel like sexying up their image at all (they can't afford it).

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Peugeot just needs to bring back the 205.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Shumagorath posted:

Wasn't Audi's shift to all-electric racing a VW group decision? I'd love to see more factories in LMP1 but Merc and Ferrari are both focused on F1 so who's left after that? I'd get very, very excited about an LMP1 with the McLaren P1 power train and sound but after their recent F1 efforts they have enough problems.

Audi was always going to join in Formula E apparently, according to plans, but it's very minimal involvement and investment at this point. Cutting the WEC team was to attempt to get rid of a ~$200-250 million/year program; the Formula E program is probably less than $10m including activation.

As well, a rumor/story was that VAG could approve of both Audi and Porsche being in LMP1 because one was using gasoline and the other diesel. With the diesel engines having such a negative image, they couldn't afford doing that, and weren't "allowed" to develop a new engine to continue in the WEC.

Dieselgate is going to cost VAG a tooooooooooooooon of money. Billions of dollars. I'm sure it's a reason why the Porsche LMP1 program is being rumored too.

---

Peugeot remains the rumored company to join the WEC and Le Mans, and considering Renault is in F1 and Peugeot has great history at the 24 (and is French...) you have to think they'll come. Nissan may increase their involvement, Honda has been rumored, I would love to see Mazda come back but I think they're focused on IMSA and American junior series at this point, which means Japan isn't interested at all. And who knows, if Porsche leaves (or cuts the Prototype program but keeps their GTE program) I wouldn't be shocked to see Audi push to come back into Prototype racing. The 24 became massive for the Audi brand.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Cygni posted:

I was messaging some Audi friends while at Le Mans and almost said exactly the same. Then realized how insensitive it would be because they were both really bummed about the death of the LMP1 program and not being there.

harperdc posted:

Audi was always going to join in Formula E apparently, according to plans, but it's very minimal involvement and investment at this point. Cutting the WEC team was to attempt to get rid of a ~$200-250 million/year program; the Formula E program is probably less than $10m including activation.

As well, a rumor/story was that VAG could approve of both Audi and Porsche being in LMP1 because one was using gasoline and the other diesel. With the diesel engines having such a negative image, they couldn't afford doing that, and weren't "allowed" to develop a new engine to continue in the WEC.

Yeah, there was no way politically they could pour hundreds of millions of euros a year into a racing program that was diesel-powered when diesel engines are going to cost the company billions and billions in fines and lost revenue.

drgitlin fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jun 21, 2017

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
When's the last time Audi ran a major program without Team Joest?

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
I am going to laugh hysterically if Honda joins.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
They won't because they don't have any engineers.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Honda are struggling right now to make racecar engines that last 2 hours let alone 6 or 24.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

There's absolutely no question in my mind that Honda will enter Le Mans, Alonso won't join them, and they will have no reliability issues whatsoever.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

harperdc posted:

Peugeot remains the rumored company to join the WEC and Le Mans, and considering Renault is in F1 and Peugeot has great history at the 24 (and is French...) you have to think they'll come. Nissan may increase their involvement, Honda has been rumored, I would love to see Mazda come back but I think they're focused on IMSA and American junior series at this point, which means Japan isn't interested at all. And who knows, if Porsche leaves (or cuts the Prototype program but keeps their GTE program) I wouldn't be shocked to see Audi push to come back into Prototype racing. The 24 became massive for the Audi brand.

Peugeot straight up can't afford it under the current "Manufacturers must be Hybrid" rules and definitely can't afford it under the coming 2020 rules, Nissan doesn't have a clue how to go about approaching it and their involvement would be a bit of a joke although Renault might help out a bunch, Honda is Honda (although the Electric finish stuff would likely have piqued their interest, they're definitely focused on F1 for now) and if Porsche leaves (again), VAG is out for a few years.

If Porsche leaves, LMP1 is in real trouble. There is no one there to take over unless they undertake a massive overhaul of the rules.
I don't honestly think Porsche will leave LMP1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

If Porsche leaves then I would assume LMP2 becomes the new LMP1, maybe with a loosening of regs to up the speeds a little.

• Locked thread