Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Schwarzwald posted:

That ruled, though.

That is to say, the time spent on Levi squad felt wasted because it didn't impact the conclusion of the arc. They could have just hung out in the woods and nothing would have changed.

In It For The Tank fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jun 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Saagonsa posted:

Considering that they only fit 34 chapters in 25 episodes, and 16 in 12, they'd have to condense stuff or just pick up the pacing in general to get to the end.

S1 had 3 minutes of recap every episode, so that's two-three less episodes it'd have lasted otherwise. S2 was paced slowly and was even padded with content from ahead in the manga to stretch it for the 12 ep run.

And then we account that the next arc has a lot of action which flies by faster in animation, and that's why I say it should fit just fine.

In It For The Tank posted:

That is to say, the time spent on Levi squad felt wasted because it didn't impact the conclusion of the arc. They could have just hung out in the woods and nothing would have changed.

Let's not forget they dealt with the secret police, which would have complicated things greatly if left to roam free.

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jun 20, 2017

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Terper posted:

Armin's face after he realizes he's said some supremely hosed up poo poo as if it was completely normal

I thought you were referring to his face when that guard wanted to still rape him even after finding out he's a boy.

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:
I just want the cute bartender to sparkle.

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer
A few episodes into this season, I got impatient and completely caught up with the manga. Good stuff.

Captain Invictus posted:

Man I can't wait to see Kenny animated

His rootin-tootin' entrance being all YEE HAW better be earmarked for their "good animation" budget

When I first saw him in the manga(Historia flashback I think), I just assumed he was a jobber I'd never see again. I'm rarely so pleased to be wrong.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Terper posted:

Armin's face after he realizes he's said some supremely hosed up poo poo as if it was completely normal

One of my favorite moments. Armin's really the only character I still have respect for at this point, in that he realizes how unrepentantly monstrous he is, but is also willing to just own it.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

I didn't realize that Amazon sold chapters for $1.99 each, so now I'm really happy I can afford to buy one chapter a month and not wait until they were in volume format, or several had accumulated on Crunchyroll!

I just finished Chapter 94, and I wanted to come in here to say...holy poo poo was that an amazing chapter, and so hard to read. To me, it's one of the most emotionally harrowing chapters, it gutted me like the chapter where Squad Levi died.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

HenryEx posted:

Hehe, these silly wall people, rushing to their death. Not that i left them any choice with my meticulous trap and superior planning :smug:
Wait where's my entire encirclement on the right side?

I'll be pissed if they don't spend at least 20% of the season's budget on that scene

That's a classic Yeager gently caress up right there, must run in the family.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

I haven't really enjoyed the timeskip that much to be honest. I can't say it's out of left field because it was set up pretty well, but I find the shifters' motivations suspect ("surely if we genocide our own race of people this will work out for us and our loved ones!"), the new characters are pretty one-note all around, and the Nazi parallels feel hamfisted and make me vaguely uncomfortable. Reiner's character is being fleshed out but not really advanced much so far. We knew he had cognitive dissonance about what he does fifty chapters ago and it doesn't really seem like he's changed at all since that arc. The potato throwback made me laugh pretty hard though.

I think the most interesting thing that's happened seeing Zeke's flashbacks about Levi because nothing in the series has really stopped to highlight how loving terrifying the Ackermanns are before. Watching Levi gently caress up every single titan at Shinigashina was hype as hell in the moment but having to consider that Zeke was actually horribly traumatized by it brings out an element of Levi/Mikasa that's always been there from the beginning but never really given front and center focus before. It recasts a lot of past moments in the series in a really interesting light, vs. the Reiner focus which is like, okay, he's conflicted, I get it. You already explained this better and more concisely when he was having a mental breakdown in the forest.

And I'm still furious about Ymir what the gently caress

Philip Rivers fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jun 21, 2017

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Philip Rivers posted:

I haven't really enjoyed the timeskip that much to be honest. I can't say it's out of left field because it was set up pretty well, but I find the shifters' motivations suspect ("surely if we genocide our own race of people this will work out for us and our loved ones!"),

I don't know what this says about me, but I don't find that unbelievable in the least. :shrug:

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Philip Rivers posted:

God, that moment still makes me crack up every time I think about it. Just the perfect punchline to her joke of a life.

Attack on Titan is the best Kafka comedy manga, you guys.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

An oppressed group turning against another oppressed group that they have no real reason to hate, and are in fact basically the same, because they were being manipulated by the oppressor group is definitely believable, yeah.

Saagonsa fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jun 21, 2017

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Philip Rivers posted:

Thanks to me reading a lovely translation, I actually didn't know she was eaten until I had it explained in here that the "area titan" translation I read was incorrect and it was supposed to be "jaw titan." So, you know, at least you didn't get the actual punchline of that story through reading a forum post.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Philip Rivers posted:

I haven't really enjoyed the timeskip that much to be honest. I can't say it's out of left field because it was set up pretty well, but I find the shifters' motivations suspect ("surely if we genocide our own race of people this will work out for us and our loved ones!")

I think this part makes a lot of sense. The shifters grew up in an environment where they were taught that the Walldians are all evil and need to be destroyed. Then they're given the chance for them and their families to become honorary citizens, which is a huge deal considering the near constant persecution they face at home. Again, the Walldians are all evil so they don't think twice about what it means to go to war and exterminate them if the result is citizenship for the good people they really care about. Keep in mind all the shifters except Zeke are like 9 or 10 when they finally inherit their powers so it's not like they really understand the gravity of what they're about to do anyways.

Obviously things change once they infiltrate the walls and join the military and realize that most of the people living in the walls are good and innocent, but they can't turn back because their families are essentially held hostage. All of the shifters know if they do something out of line with what Marley wants, their families could end up used as titan bombs or whatever else. They're given the impossible choice of continuing the mission to wipe out the people on Paradise, or dooming their families to something worse than death.

I'll agree the new characters are a little boring right now, but it's also only been like 3 chapters since the time skip so I'm willing to give it a little more time to develop.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Kerning Chameleon posted:

One of my favorite moments. Armin's really the only character I still have respect for at this point, in that he realizes how unrepentantly monstrous he is, but is also willing to just own it.

Mikasa knows that she's crazy and has an unhealthy death wish, she just doesn't let it stop her. Eren, however, is completely oblivious to how nuts he is.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Beefstew posted:

Mikasa knows that she's crazy and has an unhealthy death wish, she just doesn't let it stop her. Eren, however, is completely oblivious to how nuts he is.

Denied, Eren gets huge character growth in the aftermath of the Insurrection arc. After that he's shown much more tempered and melancholic, and the only time you see him channel his rage again is in the rematch with Reiner - and even then he's fighting technically and as part of a larger plan.

Then we get the basement reveal, and he's shown anxious over having a lot of food for thought, but the little rage ball that could just doesn't seem to be there anymore.

Maybe he'll make a return soon, but the fact that they trusted him with an infiltration mission can only speak of the brass' confidence in his ability to act rationally.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Conspiratiorist posted:

Denied, Eren gets huge character growth in the aftermath of the Insurrection arc. After that he's shown much more tempered and melancholic, and the only time you see him channel his rage again is in the rematch with Reiner - and even then he's fighting technically and as part of a larger plan.

Then we get the basement reveal, and he's shown anxious over having a lot of food for thought, but the little rage ball that could just doesn't seem to be there anymore.

Maybe he'll make a return soon, but the fact that they trusted him with an infiltration mission can only speak of the brass' confidence in his ability to act rationally.

That doesn't deny the fact Eren is extremely blase about Mikasa's craziness.

On the other hand, they made friends by murdering a bunch of robbers.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Kyte posted:

That doesn't deny the fact Eren is extremely blase about Mikasa's craziness.

On the other hand, they made friends by murdering a bunch of robbers.

eren is profoundly bad at understanding mikasa on every level so he probably doesn't even notice it

Catalina
May 20, 2008

"Hey Reiner? You had to be with those race traitors, huh? I've heard all about what bad guys they were are! Can you tell me some war stories? :sparkles: "
"Oh yeah, they were, uh, they were real bad, just like you've heard. There was...even a girl who stole a potato once. Yeah."
:confused:

That had me cracking up.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Man just started rereading the part of the manga that comes after the end of season 2 of the anime, and I totally forgot that it was Keith Shadis, the instructor, who sabotaged Eren's practice belt. In the hope of getting him to drop out.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Ryuujin posted:

Man just started rereading the part of the manga that comes after the end of season 2 of the anime, and I totally forgot that it was Keith Shadis, the instructor, who sabotaged Eren's practice belt. In the hope of getting him to drop out.
You might say that was...shady of him to do.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

I just realized that Grisha was making serum out of his own spinal fluid.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Ryuujin posted:

When i was reading that training part, i was calling that someone hosed with his gear to make him drop out. Until that reveal though, i was convinced it was Mikasa trying to keep him out of the Scouts and harm's way. She had kind of a strange look on her face as she watched him satruggle iirc.

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012

Conspiratiorist posted:

I just realized that Grisha was making serum out of his own spinal fluid.

Grisha injected Eren after he killed the Reiss fammily. He could have taken have taken it from them.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Pensive posted:

Grisha injected Eren after he killed the Reiss fammily. He could have taken have taken it from them.

Oh, right, I suppose that's possible too.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

It makes me wonder if there's a blood type like property to titan serum. Maybe part of the reason the Titans from Connie's village were so abnormal (some were even eating each other) was an issue of serum comparability? If each of the nine Titans were the progenitors of the modern Eldians, perhaps each Eldian has a linage that has a greater affinity for a certain one of the nine titans?

Maybe the inheritance that occurs when a shifter's tenure ends naturally is the transfer of that titan power through the 'paths' to the descendants of the first bearer of that power. It could explain how the Marley are able to track down the power of one of the nine passed down in this way. They have the genealogy data and almost every Eldian locked down in ghettos so they can keep control.

It might also explain why none of the power of the nine were reborn inside the walls, they could be mostly Eldians of the Fritz lineage and so the power of the nine had a greater affinity for the Marley controlled Eldians than the Paradise Eldians. The Marley leadership certainly seemed sure that if Annie had died without her power being consumed, they would have control of her power again.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

ATP_Power posted:

The Marley leadership certainly seemed sure that if Annie had died without her power being consumed, they would have control of her power again.

Wait, when is this explained? If anything, they seemed to think it was likely that someone within the walls had been born with her powers.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

ATP_Power posted:

It makes me wonder if there's a blood type like property to titan serum. Maybe part of the reason the Titans from Connie's village were so abnormal (some were even eating each other) was an issue of serum comparability? If each of the nine Titans were the progenitors of the modern Eldians, perhaps each Eldian has a linage that has a greater affinity for a certain one of the nine titans?

Maybe the inheritance that occurs when a shifter's tenure ends naturally is the transfer of that titan power through the 'paths' to the descendants of the first bearer of that power. It could explain how the Marley are able to track down the power of one of the nine passed down in this way. They have the genealogy data and almost every Eldian locked down in ghettos so they can keep control.

It might also explain why none of the power of the nine were reborn inside the walls, they could be mostly Eldians of the Fritz lineage and so the power of the nine had a greater affinity for the Marley controlled Eldians than the Paradise Eldians. The Marley leadership certainly seemed sure that if Annie had died without her power being consumed, they would have control of her power again.

It's only a hundred years or so since the founding of the walled country, not enough time for a single family to repopulate an entire nation. Besides, rereading chapter 63, only a small fraction of the people are direct Fritz descendants.

No accidental births of shifters into the walls is just the luck of the draw. People who have shifter power will try to manage it as carefully as possible.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Hell, do we know if Marley allowed any of the shifters to die a "regular" death? It sounds like they're super cautious of sending them out into battle when there's any danger at all.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Saagonsa posted:

Hell, do we know if Marley allowed any of the shifters to die a "regular" death? It sounds like they're super cautious of sending them out into battle when there's any danger at all.

That's also optics. You don't send your powerful weapons that you parade around as invincible into situations where they might actually get wrecked.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Phobophilia posted:

It's only a hundred years or so since the founding of the walled country, not enough time for a single family to repopulate an entire nation. Besides, rereading chapter 63, only a small fraction of the people are direct Fritz descendants.

No accidental births of shifters into the walls is just the luck of the draw. People who have shifter power will try to manage it as carefully as possible.

I was more thinking that the original population within the walls were presumably a mass migration to Paradise and probably came from the same geographic region and as such could be descended from the same group - as you said it's only 100 years since the walls went up. In my wild speculation, both the Fritz family and their subjects descended from the original holder of the Founding titan, not that the Fritz family populated the walls.

Some of my reading of this is probably messed up by lovely translations, but the chapter 92 I read has Zeke assuming that if the Female or Colossal titans had died, their power would've passed on to someone on the Marley continent - not Paradise.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

ATP_Power posted:

Some of my reading of this is probably messed up by lovely translations, but the chapter 92 I read has Zeke assuming that if the Female or Colossal titans had died, their power would've passed on to someone on the Marley continent - not Paradise.

That's not how it came across in the translation I read.

Zack made the observation that the Female and Colossal titans had not been inherited by Eldians in Marleyan territory. Therefore, he concluded that they had either been taken or eaten by island Eldians, or they had been killed and their power had been inherited by an island Eldian child.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Saagonsa posted:

are they really tho? I mean, they sent half of them alone into hostile, titan infested territory. all of them but zeke were also children. they could have lost 3 shifter powers had ymir not decided to save reiner and bertoldt

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Jun 23, 2017

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

well they only sent half of them :v:

Taikuri
Mar 6, 2009

So it doesn't try to shitpost or anything?

Nope, it just lurks there. Completely harmless.
Do we even know the 13 year time limit is true?

Only source we have for that fact is Marley right? I think Ymir Fritz did die in 13 years, but Marley is keeping the time limit legend alive so that the shifters are always afraid of their incoming death, and are more willing to get eaten and passing on their abilities, which is brilliant tactic in keeping them in line and more unlikely to start trouble.

Of course I might have forgotten if we have more reliable source for the time limit rules? Did shifters die while in Eldian resistance?

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Didn't Owl say that? Granted, he might be getting his information from Marley.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Taikuri posted:

Do we even know the 13 year time limit is true?

Only source we have for that fact is Marley right? I think Ymir Fritz did die in 13 years, but Marley is keeping the time limit legend alive so that the shifters are always afraid of their incoming death, and are more willing to get eaten and passing on their abilities, which is brilliant tactic in keeping them in line and more unlikely to start trouble.

Of course I might have forgotten if we have more reliable source for the time limit rules? Did shifters die while in Eldian resistance?

Kreuger was coughing up blood as he explained his 13 year time limit was up and Armin checked the Reiss family records and found they had a succession every 13 years. So it's safe to say it's true.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Manatee Cannon posted:

eren is profoundly bad at understanding mikasa on every level so he probably doesn't even notice it

To be fair the reverse is also true, Mikasa really doesn't actually get Eren properly either. In fact it's one of the better moments where Armin is the one who gets Eren to move the boulder because Mikasa is actually really bad at talking to Eren or motivating him but Armin knows what he'll listen to better than anyone.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Part of the raw chapter is out. Honestly, so far it seems like not much of interest happens in this one. Judging by the quick translations the only semi-interesting revelation is that Reiner only got the armoured titan because Marcel, trying to keep his younger brother safe, somehow sabotaged Porco's efforts so that he didn't get the serum.

Aumanor fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jul 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
This chapter also reveals the final titan shifter, the so-called "Warhammer Titan" in the fan translation I read.

And here I thought these panels were metaphorical:

Anyway, based on the general progression of these chapters, I guarantee that next chapter will feature a flashback of Reiner, Bertolt, and Annie's attack on Wall Maria, and it will be juxtaposed by Armin and Eren's attack on Liberio.

In It For The Tank fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jul 5, 2017