Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Welcome to Codebreaker II: The Katydid Initiative!

Codebreaker is a hybrid game of Survivor and Mastermind for 11 players.

In this game, there is an overall code made up of twelve unique segments, each with its own unique placement as a line in the code. Each player will privately submit a seven-letter segment of their choosing before the start of the game, which will then be given a placement in the code randomly as one of the twelve lines. A player's segment is revealed to all participants when he or she is eliminated from the game. The first player to submit the correct full code is the winner!

You may notice that there are twelve segments for only eleven players - this is to allow for the first day to serve as a lighter introduction to the game. The first day will not have player elimination, and instead the segment that was not created by or assigned to a player will be flipped at the end of the day.

Please do not come into the game with predetermined alliances, and please do not share your chosen segments before the game has started! As this game is largely social with limited communication, it would be a significant and unfair advantage. Additionally, editing your posts is not allowed in this game!

Day Phase:
  • There will be a plurality vote in each Day to remove one player from the game.
  • When a player is eliminated, their personal code segment will be revealed to the thread. Eliminated players must cease all communication immediately.
  • The placement of the flipped code segment will only be revealed half the time - the second elimination, fourth, sixth, etc.
  • To vote for a player, post ##vote Poque in the thread. You can ##unvote, but it is unnecessary as another ##vote will cancel the first vote as well.
  • The Day does NOT end if a majority vote is received - the votecount at the time of the deadline is the final count. Votes received at :01 or beyond will not be parsed.
  • If there is a tie at the deadline, the first player who got to the tied vote is eliminated - unless the tie was achieved by an unvote, in which case the unvoted player is eliminated. For example:
  • 1) A 3, B 3 -> A 4, B 3 -> A 4, B 4 -> Deadline: A is eliminated, as s/he got to four votes first.
  • 2) A 3, B 3 -> A 4, B 3 -> A 4, B 4 -> A 4, B 5 -> A 4, B 4 -> Deadline: B is eliminated, as the tie vote occurred through the unvote.
  • Each player can submit one guess to the overall code per Day (two on Day 1). This is covered in more detail in the "Guessing" section below.
  • Days will end at 10pm Eastern on Mondays and Thursdays (Noon on Tuesdays and Fridays in Bowmore Time).
  • Day 1 will be used for in-thread communication and guessing as usual but will not have voting. Instead, the extra code segment not assigned to any player will be revealed at the end of the day.

Night Phase:
  • Each player determines their lines of communication for the following Day during each Night. This is covered in more detail in the "Communication" section below.
  • The results of the best guesses from the previous Day will be revealed. However, neither the name of the guessers nor the guesses themselves will be shown.
  • Sample results: "Eight players submitted guesses on Day 1. One player correctly identified 5 code segments. One player correctly placed 3 code segments. One player had 4 correct code segments one spot away from their correct placement." It will not be revealed if these players are the same person.
  • Communication outside the thread is NOT PERMITTED during Night!
  • Nights will end at Noon Eastern on Tuesdays and Fridays (2am on Wednesdays and Saturdays in Bowmore Time).

Guessing:
  • Each player can submit one guess of the overall code per Day (two on Day 1). This is submitted via PM.
  • To make it easier to get results, guesses should be encased in (code) tags with each code segment on its on separate line.
  • The guesser will receive three pieces of information: the number of code blocks they have correctly identified, the number of correct code blocks they have placed properly, and the number of correct code blocks they have one line away from the correct placement.
  • The actual placement loops for the "one line away" requirement - if a player submits the first line's code at line 12, that counts as "one line away."
  • Withholding a guess on one Day does not increase the number of guesses for a later Day.

Communication:
  • During each Night phase, each player submits the name of one person they would like to communicate with outside of the thread for the following Day (there is no out-of-thread communication on Day 1).
  • This creates a two-way line of communication - for example, if Player A selects Player B, and Player B selects Player C, B will be able to communicate with both A and C outside of the thread for that Day.
  • These lines of communication do not carry over to another Day unless created again in the next Night phase.
  • A player can pre-submit their communication choice for later Days if desired. This can include conditionals related to player eliminations (i.e. "I would like to speak with Tina, but if she is eliminated I will speak with Louise").
  • Communication in the thread is always allowed among living players, but all posts must be able to be interpreted by all players. No encrypted messages or things of that nature.

Game End:
The game ends the instant somebody submits the entire code in the correct order. Daily voting will continue until the game ends or there are two players remaining. If the game reaches two players but neither player correctly submits the code, each remaining player will have their code segment revealed and it becomes a showdown. The two remaining players will cycle through Day/Night phases as quickly as they can make their submissions - the first player to get it right will win!

Changes from Season 1:
  • The number of players has been decreased from 13 to 11.
  • Code segments are determined by the player, rather than assigned to them.
  • The player's code placement is not known at the start of the game.
  • Guesses are increased to two on Day 1.
  • The first player elimination will take place on Day 2, rather than Day 1.
  • There are two game Days per week instead of 3.

Previous Seasons:
Codebreaker

Poque fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jun 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Example Guesses & Results:
Assume the actual code is as follows:
code:
WITCH
MUMMY
PANDA
SKULL
GHOST
If a player submits:
code:
WITCH
HAUNT
SKULL
PANDA
GHOUL
They would be told (without the parenthetical information):
1. You have correctly identified 3 code segments (WITCH, PANDA, SKULL).
2. You have correctly placed 1 code segment (WITCH).
3. You have 2 code segments off by one spot (PANDA, SKULL).

If a player submits:
code:
SKULL
MUMMY
MUMMY
PANDA
WITCH
They would be told:
1. You have correctly identified 4 code segments (SKULL, MUMMY, PANDA, WITCH).
2. You have correctly placed 1 code segment (MUMMY).
3. You have 3 code segments off by one spot (MUMMY, PANDA, WITCH).

Notice that even though this player correctly placed the first MUMMY, the second one would still show up as being one line away. Guess wisely!

If you have questions that can be answered using this hypothetical code, please feel free to make "guesses" in the thread to get clarification.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Current roster:
  1. BottleKnight
  2. bowmore
  3. gif Probst
  4. Hal Incandenza
  5. Jonathan Fisk
  6. MMM Whatchya Say
  7. Murmur Twin
  8. Somberbrero

Eliminated players:
  1. Nobody - REIXONK (?)
  2. Asiina - CARBOYS (8)
  3. jon joe - ULUVJJV (?)
  4. Retro Futurist - HGJIKLY (12)

Poque fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jul 7, 2017

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I'd like to try this.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Ready 2 break code

Nice number!

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I haven't read the rules but I missed this the first time out so yes hi me.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
drat, I am headed to a software conference, and wouldn't be able to give this game the attention it deserves. Otherwise, I'd be in again.

Good luck, all.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Thanatosian posted:

drat, I am headed to a software conference, and wouldn't be able to give this game the attention it deserves. Otherwise, I'd be in again.

Good luck, all.

Good to see you again!!

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

Asiina posted:

I haven't read the rules but I missed this the first time out so yes hi me.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

OK I read the rules and this does look really cool :eng101:

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Updated the OP - guesses have been increased to two on Day 1, but Days 2 and beyond will be a single guess per player.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Sure man I love this!

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Is the answer "three"?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
how do you get other players segments if they don't die?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

bowmore posted:

how do you get other players segments if they don't die?

social trickery

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Poque posted:

social trickery
I'm no good at that, can I sign up anyway?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

bowmore posted:

I'm no good at that, can I sign up anyway?

Absolutely!

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i wanna do the thing

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Yes

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
oh god i forgot

yes yes please sign up yes

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
urgh

ready to get completely owned again.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Don't forget to send me your seven letter code segments! You can use any capital letter here: ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

yeah ok

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Sweet, we've got a full roster! Once I get 7-letter segments from everybody, your PMs will go out and we'll start.

I'm gonna go ahead and have D1 run over the weekend since there's no elimination - it's really a day to banter and posture and do your two D1 guesses.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Who is holding us up?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Me, hold please

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

No, I'll break the code myself

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
PMs are out - the game begins!
It is now Day 1!

There is no communication outside of thread on Day 1.
Day 1 ends on Monday, June 26, at 10pm Eastern.

Remember that you get two guesses on Day 1! The game will scale back to one guess per day beginning on Day 2.

I'm always available to answer questions, whether in the thread or via PM. Feel free to submit guesses to me against the hypothetical code in the second post if you want more examples of how the system works.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

So am I reading this right and the code is 12 segments long but there are 11 players?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

So am I reading this right and the code is 12 segments long but there are 11 players?

yep - the day 1 "elimination" will reveal the 12th segment (but not its location)

It's an attempt to make the first game day less like a popularity contest since the d1 elimination is kind of arbitrary otherwise.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Poque posted:

It's an attempt to make the first game day less like a popularity contest

twitches

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Asiina posted:

twitches

:ohdear:

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Do people want to break the ice with really generic clues about our segments? Mine is a Phish reference.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Mine is NOT Hamilton related.

Or is it?

it's not

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I really wanted to do WLWDWTYS but that's 8 letters.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Asiina posted:

Or is it?

it's not

I was going to guess MIRANDA

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Asiina posted:

Or is it?

it's not

Dang I already guessed HAMILTN

Poop.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I also guessed CUMMIES so nobody else needs to

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

poque encouraged me to pick cummies or cumtits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Asiina posted:

Or is it?

it's not

My bamboozle-dar is going off :crossarms:

• Locked thread