Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I was extremely happy with my Asus M248Q monitor earlier. I didn't realize you had to turn on 144Hz in Windows (at least if you have mixed monitor refresh rates). I have learned what life without ghosting is like. It is good. I have now learned what life with 144Hz is like and that is extremely good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

betamax hipster
Aug 13, 2016

NewFatMike posted:

I was extremely happy with my Asus M248Q monitor earlier. I didn't realize you had to turn on 144Hz in Windows (at least if you have mixed monitor refresh rates). I have learned what life without ghosting is like. It is good. I have now learned what life with 144Hz is like and that is extremely good.

It's amazing. But my work laptop has a 60Hz TN panel with bad ghosting problems :negative:

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

That makes me sad.

I'm not sure I would have wanted this monitor for the $300 MSRP, but for $250 hell yeah. It's got much better color than my old work TN panel. Really nice adjustment, cable management, and OSD. It's really the little things that add up on it.

The Freesync with LFC makes me want to experiment with it very much. Hopefully in the near future I'll have enough available funds and the Ryzen APUs will be out for me to get weird on cheap console replacement builds.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

My Acer XB271HU is growing on me. Glad I decided to keep it. Colors are acceptable with brightness down in the 40-50 range.

For non gaming use though, it still pales (haha) compared to the 30" it's replacing. I've got an old Sypder 3 colormeter in the garage somewhere. Might dig it out but I don't have confidence it would make a big difference.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

NewFatMike posted:

How do you do that?

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
I hope this wasn't dumb: Acer Predator XB271HU 27" WQHD IPS has shipped. Newegg had 50 bucks off on it when I ordered.

betamax hipster
Aug 13, 2016

xthetenth posted:

How do you do that?

right click desktop -> display settings -> display adapter properties -> monitor -> Screen refresh rate

eames
May 9, 2009

dema posted:

My Acer XB271HU is growing on me. Glad I decided to keep it. Colors are acceptable with brightness down in the 40-50 range.

For non gaming use though, it still pales (haha) compared to the 30" it's replacing. I've got an old Sypder 3 colormeter in the garage somewhere. Might dig it out but I don't have confidence it would make a big difference.

Just be aware that older Spyder colorimeters have organic color filters which degrade over time. Chances are that your old Spyder 3 is a useless paperweight.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Can Windows 10 scale things smaller?

I just changed my main monitor to a 2560x1440 27". My other two monitors are 1920x1200 24".

I actually like the slightly smaller UI on the new 27", so now the UI is too big on the 24" monitors.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Thermopyle posted:

Can Windows 10 scale things smaller?

I just changed my main monitor to a 2560x1440 27". My other two monitors are 1920x1200 24".

I actually like the slightly smaller UI on the new 27", so now the UI is too big on the 24" monitors.

Go into the NVIDIA control panel and select a Virtual Super Resolution on the resolution tab.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

What in the gently caress? I have an Acer K272HUL, so I ordered a K272HUL to go with it, and it's an entirely different loving monitor. The bezel is different, and the panel seems different because the picture is washed out and fuzzy, whereas the original is crisp. I've tried it on both Windows and a Macbook Pro, and it looks like poo poo on both.

If the panels were the same I'd say gently caress it because I don't feel like dealing with sending it back, but what the poo poo? They both say K272HUL on them - why is Acer selling multiple monitors under one name? gently caress.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Erwin posted:

What in the gently caress? I have an Acer K272HUL, so I ordered a K272HUL to go with it, and it's an entirely different loving monitor. The bezel is different, and the panel seems different because the picture is washed out and fuzzy, whereas the original is crisp. I've tried it on both Windows and a Macbook Pro, and it looks like poo poo on both.

If the panels were the same I'd say gently caress it because I don't feel like dealing with sending it back, but what the poo poo? They both say K272HUL on them - why is Acer selling multiple monitors under one name? gently caress.

Acer's model numbers are stupid, they frequently use the same model number for multiple different actual models. For example there is both an IPS and a TN version both sold as "XB270HU".

There are a string of letters that come after the model number that specify what exactly it is. For example on the XB270HU the TN panel is "abprz" and the IPS is "bprz".

Another way is to look at the part number, f.ex with the XB270HU the IPS version is UM.HB0AA.001 and the TN version is UM.HB0AA.A01.

I'm guessing this is what happened, there are two different K272HULs and one has a different alphabet-soup suffix and part number. Super loving annoying, you're right.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Paul MaudDib posted:

Acer's model numbers are stupid, they frequently use the same model number for multiple different actual models. For example there is both an IPS and a TN version both sold as "XB270HU".

There are a string of letters that come after the model number that specify what exactly it is. For example on the XB270HU the TN panel is "abprz" and the IPS is "bprz".

Another way is to look at the part number, f.ex with the XB270HU the IPS version is UM.HB0AA.001 and the TN version is UM.HB0AA.A01.

I'm guessing this is what happened, there are two different K272HULs and one has a different alphabet-soup suffix and part number. Super loving annoying, you're right.

Ah yup that was it. What I ordered is listed as Cbmidp, what I got was an Ebmidpx, and what I actually wanted was Bmiidp. Christ.

The good news is that I thought my existing monitor was just a really nice TN panel, but it turns out it's an IPS panel, which explains the vast difference in picture quality. I've set up a return and ordered the right model, but it's Fulfilled by Amazon so it's basically Russian Roulette at this point.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Yeah, "never ascribe to malice what can be adequately explained by incompetence", but I have to think that Acer knows exactly the confusion this will generate, and does it anyway. They can sell a TN monitor as IPS and 99% of people probably will never notice or consider that it might not actually be what they ordered.

For me, the confusion it generates is always "why do I bother giving Acer the time of day when Dell exists". But unfortunately Dell doesn't do IPS gaming monitors.

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

So I finally got my XB271HU, however, when I turn it to 144hz the screen will flicker without stop. I tried a different DP-cable which I suspect is broken, and anything over 85hz just gives me the "no signal".

The flickering cable is the one the that came with the monitor and the other one is from iiglo. I'm guessing that the cable that came with the monitor is lovely and my other one is broken. But I am also worried that the monitor itself is broken.

Anyone have any experience with this problem?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Miguel Prado posted:

So I finally got my XB271HU, however, when I turn it to 144hz the screen will flicker without stop. I tried a different DP-cable which I suspect is broken, and anything over 85hz just gives me the "no signal".

The flickering cable is the one the that came with the monitor and the other one is from iiglo. I'm guessing that the cable that came with the monitor is lovely and my other one is broken. But I am also worried that the monitor itself is broken.

Anyone have any experience with this problem?

Yeah, try a new cable first. Video cables are fragile and often break. BTW your cable isn't longer than 3 meters is it? That's the official limit for DP, you can get longer ones but usually they don't do well at high resolutions/refresh rates.

Are you turning it to 144 Hz or 165 Hz? 165 Hz is technically overclocking this monitor and YMMV.

Finally, maybe also try using the OSD to factory reset the monitor. I don't have a specific reason to think that would help but it's always worth a shot if it arrives screwed up, maybe the last owner hosed the settings somehow.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jun 21, 2017

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

Paul MaudDib posted:

Yeah, try a new cable first. Video cables are fragile and often break. BTW your cable isn't longer than 3 meters is it? That's the official limit for DP, you can get longer ones but usually they don't do well at high resolutions/refresh rates.

Are you turning it to 144 Hz or 165 Hz? 165 Hz is technically overclocking this monitor and YMMV.

Finally, maybe also try using the OSD to factory reset the monitor. I don't have a specific reason to think that would help but it's always worth a shot if it arrives screwed up, maybe the last owner hosed the settings somehow.

The lovely one is 1.5 meters and the probably broken one is 2 meters. The 2m ran 144hz fine on my previous monitor but the hooks in the end of the cable got stuck when I tried to remove it. This caused the casing around the end to come lose and I suspect this did some damage. It is however outputting 85hz fine.

I tried to putting it to 100, 120 and 144 but they all give no signal. With the other cable, 85hz is fine but anything above it will flicker in and out intensely.

I've ordered a new 2 meter cable hoping it will solve my problem. Thank you for your input!

My video card is a 1070.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Paul MaudDib posted:

For me, the confusion it generates is always "why do I bother giving Acer the time of day when Dell exists". But unfortunately Dell doesn't do IPS gaming monitors.

This year they will (granted under the Alienware brand).

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Buy a used XB270HU for $400 or a refurbished XB271HU for $525 when one finally becomes available?

The XB270HU is in like-new condition with no dead/stuck pixels (I know because it belongs to my brother and I'm testing it out right now).

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Thermopyle posted:

Buy a used XB270HU for $400 or a refurbished XB271HU for $525 when one finally becomes available?

The XB270HU is in like-new condition with no dead/stuck pixels (I know because it belongs to my brother and I'm testing it out right now).

Is it the IPS one? If so, unless you absolutely need 165 Hz or zero-bezel for some reason then yes, just take that one

TN: XB270HU abprz, 1ms response time, p/n UM.HB0AA.A01

IPS: XB270HU bprz, 4ms response time, p/n UM.HB0AA.001

What's he upgrading to?

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jun 21, 2017

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

Is it the IPS one? If so, unless you absolutely need 165 Hz or zero-bezel for some reason then yes, just take that one

TN: XB270HU abprz, 1ms response time, p/n UM.HB0AA.A01

IPS: XB270HU bprz, 4ms response time, p/n UM.HB0AA.001

IPS

Paul MaudDib posted:

What's he upgrading to?

Answering your question and bumping my question in one fell swoop:

Thermopyle posted:

What's a 35" widescreen curved good for movies and just better color accuracy...no gaming abilities required? My brother got an Acer Z35P and it's great for the games he plays, but he'd like to get another monitor the same size that "has better colors"...

eames
May 9, 2009

Samsung CF791

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Thermopyle posted:

Dell U3415W. I would forget about using VA, it's garbage. Unfortunately this does mean the curvature/size will be a little different.

Or, ante up and buy a refurb X34 and it will be excellent for gaming too. UW monitors are huge, having two of them is excessive.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Paul MaudDib posted:

Or, ante up and buy a refurb X34 and it will be excellent for gaming too. UW monitors are huge, having two of them is excessive.

Stack them vertically. Win at everything.

e; I unironically want to do this for pro-style movie watching while gaming, even though I know damned well that movies basically don't exist in 21:9 (yet).

DrDork fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jun 21, 2017

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

DrDork posted:

Stack them vertically. Win at everything.

e; I unironically want to do this for pro-style movie watching while gaming, even though I know damned well that movies basically don't exist in 21:9 (yet).

A shitload of movies are released in 21:9 (every movie that has narrow blackbars on your 16:9 tv). You usually have to crop off the hardcoded letterbox though.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

Thermopyle posted:

IPS

LG 34UC88 or a Dell Ultrawide 3415W or 3417W

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Grog posted:

It kind of depends on the calibration/profiling software you're using, but X-Rite's ColorMunki Display is still currently the best value for a colorimeter if you're willing to use free software packages like DisplayCAL and HCFR. You can get the same quality of results with a ColorMunki Display as you can with an i1 Display Pro, as they're literally the same hardware but with a different maximum speed limit set in the firmware. The ColorMunki Display/i1 Display Pro/i1D3 is still the best consumer-level colorimeter you can buy for accuracy at this point. The last time I checked, the general opinion of the various "colour experts"/calibration pros was that Datacolor's Spyder5 still hasn't caught up to X-Rite.

eames posted:

Just be aware that older Spyder colorimeters have organic color filters which degrade over time. Chances are that your old Spyder 3 is a useless paperweight.

I have an old X-Rite i1Display 2 and I gave it a try the other night. It has 3 modes, TFT, LCD, and CRT. In LCD and CRT mode it would freeze up partway through the profiling. In TFT mode it finished but it gave me a super pink background (although I guess I do need to double-check that Win10 Night Mode wasn't enabled).

I blame the software here, I don't think it was meant for W10, and TFT probably isn't the correct mode, given that I have an IPS panel I would think "LCD" is the right mode to use. Is there any open-source software that I could try?

If not it may just be trash especially if the color filters degrade over time. I bought it used a couple years ago and ended up packing it away for a move before I had time to fiddle with it much, so who knows if it works at all.

So the best value nowadays is a ColorMunki Display then?

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jun 22, 2017

eames
May 9, 2009

https://displaycal.net is the way to go.
I can't comment on the ColorMunki. I bought an Eizo EX3 (rebranded Spyder5) because it was cheaper, comes without software and there are some rumors that Datacolor is binning the most accurate devices for Eizo.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

eames posted:

https://displaycal.net is the way to go.
I can't comment on the ColorMunki. I bought an Eizo EX3 (rebranded Spyder5) because it was cheaper, comes without software and there are some rumors that Datacolor is binning the most accurate devices for Eizo.

Wait. I can get that Eizo EX3 for under 100€ shipped, and use a free software to calibrate my monitor? Why didn't anyone tell me about it earlier! Just ordered one of those...

eames
May 9, 2009

Yeah, this also bypasses the DRM used by colorimeter manufacturers to prevent you from borrowing the device to friends for calibration.

e: it's late here, I can't english :downs:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Ihmemies posted:

Wait. I can get that Eizo EX3 for under 100€ shipped, and use a free software to calibrate my monitor? Why didn't anyone tell me about it earlier! Just ordered one of those...

Direct link? Not showing up for me.

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009
I need to order a monitor and can't make a decision! My monitor at home died during a recent move so I need to get something. Thinking 34" ultrawide. Don't really want to spend the money on an x34, even though it looks nice. Been eyeing the new aoc 35" since I have nvidia cards, but considered the dells too.

I can't decide if I want to pay for gsync and a faster panel or not! Coming from a benq 2400w so I'm basically upgrading everything... panel type, resolutions, maybe refresh rate!

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

Stan S. Stanman posted:

I need to order a monitor and can't make a decision! My monitor at home died during a recent move so I need to get something. Thinking 34" ultrawide. Don't really want to spend the money on an x34, even though it looks nice. Been eyeing the new aoc 35" since I have nvidia cards, but considered the dells too.

I can't decide if I want to pay for gsync and a faster panel or not! Coming from a benq 2400w so I'm basically upgrading everything... panel type, resolutions, maybe refresh rate!

Get a refurb X34 man. Do it.

100hz is really incredibly nice feeling and g-sync becomes somewhat mandatory at that point because even a 1080 ti drops a few frames here and there at 3440x1440 but g-sync keeps it feeling pretty buttery down to nearly the 40s.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Stan S. Stanman posted:

Yeah, Acer X34. Unless you want just 16:9, in which case you could go for a S2716DG or XB270HU/XB271HU instead. 100 Hz is a great middle-ground between fast-refresh and wide, and all of these 1440p, which is nice at the vertical height of 34"-UW or 27"-16:9 (they're taller and also slightly finer-res than a usual 24" 1080p).

If you have the money for it, those three are all awesome panels and you absolutely do get what you pay for here. GSync is amazing especially when you can't keep the framerate pegged (will be harder with a 100-144 Hz panel). Fast-refresh IPS looks fantastic. The S2716DG is unfortunately a TN panel however, and does have a little bit of color shift in the corners.

VAs are kind of lovely if you do any gaming I would really recommend against any of the 35" monitors.

If you're patient, wait around for X34 refurbs, they're usually like $700. They are available fairly frequently but usually sell out within a few minutes. Typically I think AcerRecertified refreshes their listings around Tuesday 10-12 AM, and it's almost always 10-12 AM even if the day is different.

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

Paul MaudDib posted:

I blame the software here, I don't think it was meant for W10, and TFT probably isn't the correct mode, given that I have an IPS panel I would think "LCD" is the right mode to use. Is there any open-source software that I could try?
DisplayCAL has the i1Display 2 in its list of supported devices. You can always try it and see if it works any better before you go and buy a new colorimeter. Also yeah, if it's significantly cheaper to get that Eizo EX3 over the ColorMunki then it's probably fine. Even if it's not as accurate, it should still get you a lot better calibrated than a degraded sensor.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Grog posted:

DisplayCAL has the i1Display 2 in its list of supported devices. You can always try it and see if it works any better before you go and buy a new colorimeter. Also yeah, if it's significantly cheaper to get that Eizo EX3 over the ColorMunki then it's probably fine. Even if it's not as accurate, it should still get you a lot better calibrated than a degraded sensor.

Yeah, I've been trying it out here tonight. It looks like it's doing a better job of sensing the whitepoint now so that's a plus. However the calibration bars are pretty far out on the color.

I don't have any on-monitor adjustment for color (there is supposedly a "User" settings mode but it doesn't let me adjust colors). On the NVIDIA control panel colors tab I enabled the user mode and adjusted the blue channel, but anything I adjust will change the color of the backdrop (but not the square at the center that's being balanced) and then immediately undo as I release the mouse button, even if I apply the settings. Not sure how to proceed.

(Brightness is easy to balance if needed)

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jun 22, 2017

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Fruit Chewy posted:

Get a refurb X34 man. Do it.

100hz is really incredibly nice feeling and g-sync becomes somewhat mandatory at that point because even a 1080 ti drops a few frames here and there at 3440x1440 but g-sync keeps it feeling pretty buttery down to nearly the 40s.

All of this is right and true. It is The Way.

At least until a 144hz 34" IPS or non-lovely VA panel gets released, anyhow.

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

Paul MaudDib posted:

I don't have any on-monitor adjustment for color (there is supposedly a "User" settings mode but it doesn't let me adjust colors). On the NVIDIA control panel colors tab I enabled the user mode and adjusted the blue channel, but anything I adjust will change the color of the backdrop (but not the square at the center that's being balanced) and then immediately undo as I release the mouse button, even if I apply the settings. Not sure how to proceed.
It seems extremely unlikely that the colour channels would be that imbalanced, if that monitor's in some kind of default state or a preset. The i1D2 is apparently known for relatively fast filter degradation, along with not handling LED backlights well, so if it's fairly old and/or if you're using a newer LED-backlit monitor then it might just be a matter of the i1Display 2 not being useful for your purposes anymore. Also, 170 cd/m^2 is maybe a bit bright. The usual maximum people suggest to calibrate for brightly lit rooms is 120.

What monitor are you using this on? Even if there aren't individual colour channel settings, is there anything like colour temperature presets that you can adjust (like Cold, Warm, etc.)? I know some monitors are supposed to have service menus with more settings, but you'd have to look that up for your specific model to see if anybody has figured out how to access that on your model and whether there are any useful settings in there. You can still profile the monitor if you can't do a proper calibration beforehand, it just might not look as consistently good. Laptops and the like don't usually have access to colour controls either, and they can still be profiled decently.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

Paul MaudDib posted:

Yeah, I've been trying it out here tonight. It looks like it's doing a better job of sensing the whitepoint now so that's a plus. However the calibration bars are pretty far out on the color.

The other thing, besides age, with colorimeters on their own is they're extremely sensitive to the different wavelengths output by monitors. Really high end monitors are paired with colorimeters that are calibrated for that line of monitor.

I have both the colormunki display and the design, together they do a good job but they were unable to prevent my xb321hk from being visibly different from my u2410s. It's not obvious unless I have the same thing on both monitors or a lot of white, but the xb321hk has visibly more red while the u2410s are much cooler. I assume it comes down to the particulars of the xb321hk and without going for an even higher end spectrometer I've just got to live with it.

Using just the colorimeter on its own resulted in much more noticeable differences that I wasn't going to be happy with. Back when I calibrated all my monitors they all gave more or less perfect results when verifying them with both the spectrometer and the colorimeter (with the corrections generated from the spectrometer) despite visible differences. At least all of my u2410s perfectly agree with each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Paul MaudDib posted:

Direct link? Not showing up for me.

Amazon.de. I live in Finland and they give free shipping to purchases over 39€.

https://www.amazon.de/gp/aw/d/B017C48GLG/ref=mp_s_a_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1498111282&sr=8-1-fkmr0&pi=SL75_QL70&keywords=ezio+ex3

Colormunki display is over 40€ more expensive:

https://www.amazon.de/gp/aw/d/B0055MBQOM/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1498111432&sr=8-3&pi=SL75_QL70&keywords=colormunki

Is the colormunki really that much better? Spyder 5 should be better than 6 years old calibration with spyder3 anyways..

E: while the i1 display pro is 170€, 35€ more again:

https://www.amazon.de/gp/aw/d/B0055MBQOW/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1498115156&sr=8-1&pi=SL75_QL70&keywords=i1+display+pro

Lots of reviews say spyder5 is "good enough" but if the x-rite's products last longer, they may be a better option than a spyder. Pity no one makes cheap oem versions of the i1 display pro...

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Jun 22, 2017