Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

while I agree with you in spirit, the second I spawned in after the descent I ate manitee farts. Inside the lifepod.

That's just rude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Section Z posted:

That would be a more meaningful claim if their calming down also went alongside them leaving :v: Rather than hanging around and flipping the gently caress out again when you eventually return because that's the only fabricator you start out with.

Nah man, just abandon your lifepod entirely rather than disturb those poor, innocent creatures who only want to put a dent in your hunger bar for the mean and nasty act of using the hatch on your lifepod.

Alright didn't now it kept on happening to you, and inside the pod. Yep, thats a proper bug.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I've only ever been hurt by the farts while inside the pod or a base. They wonder close to it, get agitated despite not even being able to see you, and start attacking you. Tiger plants like doing it too although they just destroy the base because they don't have a wall penetrating AOE attack.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Alright didn't now it kept on happening to you, and inside the pod. Yep, thats a proper bug.

It's actually a pretty longstanding one in this game, having stuff decide the lifepod is the best place to hang out no matter how often the Devs admit that's not an intended amount of pain.

But it's also just as common for somebody to stroll in and say "Nah man, just swim around them :smug:" and maybe brag about killing a dozen sharks with their knife between tisk tisking you for wanting to be able to kill things in a "Nonviolent game"

You so much as acknowledging it's annoying, even after the fact, is basically a breath of fresh air :v:

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtsyXKSmBWE

Guess it's time to see what's broken this time. I do like that at least the story is getting a bit further.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Story update is pretty cool, but Cyclops is so frustrating to use now that i honestly can't see myself bothering to play this legitimately again.

Edit: Ok, the story got so cool that i will probably play it legitimately one time to experience it all the way it should be, BUT IM GONNA PISS AND MOAN ABOUT THE CYCLOPS THE WHOLE TIME :tutbutt:

Dongattack fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jun 21, 2017

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Just play without the cyclops.

"Voice of the Deep" Changelog

Primary Containment Facility
-Explore the expansive Primary Containment Facility. What was it built to contain? What happened to those who built it? Inside lie the answers to these questions and more. With many chambers to explore and strange items to uncover, the Facility reveals new chapters of Subnautica lore.

Sea Emperor Leviathan
-Lurking deep within the Primary Containment Facility, a creature of immense proportions awaits. This ancient Sea Emperor Leviathan is the beginning of the end...

Precursor Pipes
-A network of ancient pipes have been placed throughout the world. They serve a unique purpose in the story of Subnautica, a purpose you will have to uncover on your own.

Cyclops Improvements
-We’ve made changes to the Cyclops based on your feedback, including: doubling power reserves, the ability to run silent at any speed, enhanced shields, the ability to shut down the engine for complete silence, and more.

Models, Everywhere
-All throughout Subnautica, final art assets are making their way into the game. From coffee machines to bar tables, the misfit models finally have their day. This includes “Loot Cube” models as well.

Leveling Up
-Many areas have been added to and improved. Precursor Teleporter Caves have been placed in both the Ghost Forest and the Bulb Zone (formerly the Koosh Bush Zone). The Crag Fields also have new additions.

Lifepod 7
-An unusual lifepod makes an appearance in the Crag Field, filled with eclectic goods.

PDA
-New UI for the PDA has been added, making the player experience much better when using the PDA.

Other Improvements
-Batteries and Power Cells now charge to the appropriate levels.
-Airtanks no longer stack in inventory but a new tank has been added that holds as much as three times that of a standard tank of air.
-A lot of optimization has been implemented in this update to create a more seamless experience.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Zesty posted:

-A lot of optimization has been implemented in this update to create a more seamless experience.

Thank god

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I can't really see the airtanks changes as an "Improvement".

Eventually unlocking one tank with x3 the air... When x4 the air of a normal tank with barley a dent in your swim speed by way of two whole high capacity tanks was what we used to have, with the option of even more for long dives or seaglide usage.

But of course they are going to phrase it like it's an upgrade to QoL rather than a nerf :v: Wowie zowie, x3 air time tops rather than my usual x6. Thank you so much for saving me that inventory space I wasn't hurting for.

EDIT: Yes, I know apparently you can manually swap tanks now, which while a pointless hurdle compared to auto stacking at least works... But there seems to be people upset by even that working :sigh:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jun 21, 2017

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Section Z posted:

I can't really see the airtanks changes as an "Improvement".

Eventually unlocking one tank with x3 the air... When x4 the air of a normal tank with barley a dent in your swim speed by way of two whole high capacity tanks was what we used to have, with the option of even more for long dives or seaglide usage.

But of course they are going to phrase it like it's an upgrade to QoL rather than a nerf :v: Wowie zowie, x3 air time tops rather than my usual x6. Thank you so much for saving me that inventory space I wasn't hurting for.

EDIT: Yes, I know apparently you can manually swap tanks now, which while a pointless hurdle compared to auto stacking at least works... But there seems to be people upset by even that working :sigh:

I'm not a hardcorgi type of guy, but being able to stack tanks really made the game too easy. I laughed when I looked at the air-pipes because there's never really a point to them.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Ok, yes it's dumb that you could trivialize the underwater timer by having a bunch of tanks in your inventory

Given that real tanks last like ... an hour, why do the tanks in the game last 30 seconds? Is "staying down without drowning" supposed to be a challenge in a game that is about exploring underwater? I really don't get it.

Like if you had some timer that you had to hit every minute in Ark or 7 days to die and if you didn't you'd die, would that make the game better? I'm not sure it would.

"We decided in our game that every 30 seconds you get to waste 5 seconds swimming to the surface, inhaling into your oxygen tanks??? :confused: ???, and then spending 5 more seconds getting back to where you were"

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

It's not a bad way to loosely and understandably gate where you can go. Tanks could stand to last longer though.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Digirat posted:

It's not a bad way to loosely and understandably gate where you can go. Tanks could stand to last longer though.

I would submit that a mechanic that makes you stare at nothing for 10 out of 30 seconds you playing, as well as regularly interrupting what you are doing when you are underwater, is in fact a bad way to loosely and understandably gate where you can go.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Good thing that only lasts for the first hour or two of a playthrough otherwise people might throw a fit about it on the internet.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Zesty posted:

Good thing that only lasts for the first hour or two of a playthrough otherwise people might throw a fit on the internet about it.

There was a workaround you could use to avoid it entirely, and having just removed the workaround a few days ago, it seems relevant to bring up that wasting 1/3 of the player's time in game for something that doesn't add tension or provide interesting gameplay may be quite dumb and worth revisiting.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Maybe you should disable the need for oxygen if you don't appreciate that mechanic. It clearly doesn't serve any purpose for you.

It's a mechanic that you have plan for in the early game and it goes away after a couple hours of play because you upgrade to bases, faster transportation, and vehicles with unlimited oxygen.... and of course, large air tanks.

I get there's stupid annoying mechanics in games. The Cyclops is stupid annoying mechanic right now. But needing the manage oxygen for a couple hours of a 20+ hour playthrough is not one of them.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Zesty posted:

Maybe you should disable the need for oxygen if you don't appreciate that mechanic. It clearly doesn't serve any purpose for you.

It's a mechanic that you have plan for in the early game and it goes away after a couple hours of play because you upgrade to bases, faster transportation, and vehicles with unlimited oxygen.... and of course, large air tanks.

I get there's stupid annoying mechanics in games. The Cyclops is stupid annoying mechanic right now. But needing the manage oxygen for a couple hours of a 20+ hour playthrough is not one of them.

Even saying that, still doesn't change the fact it remains less practical than before while being touted as an "Upgrade".

"Pfft, just wait several hours until you either stumble across or wiki up how to make the bigger tank :rolleyes:"
"Wait several hours for tanks that still need me to faff about with my PDA? Compared to having x6 the air of a normal tank stacking itself? How is that an upgrade?"
"Well them maybe just turn off air entirely then :smug:"

Wowie zowie. From zero to "Just play on creative mode then you casual" over people commenting that all it adds is busywork rather than :airquote: challenge.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jun 22, 2017

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Zesty posted:

It's a mechanic that you have plan for in the early game and it goes away after a couple hours of play because you upgrade to bases, faster transportation, and vehicles which give you oxygen.... and of course, large air tanks.

So you're saying that having to manage food and water is not enough, the player has to be struggling to breathe underwater for more than 30 seconds, in a game with scuba tanks about underwater exploration, because reasons.

Is it that the addition of oxygen pushes it into "hard to survive" territory in some way? I don't see it. Even when you die it's an inconvenience and you respawn. So it's mostly a nuisance. And to resolve this nuisance requirement, you have to stare at your dude slowly swimming to the surface, then break the surface, then enjoy the absolutely nothing there is to see there, then make sure the oxygen filled up, then dive back down, and go back to whatever you were doing.

It may simply be a difference of opinion but I clearly see what including this element costs the player - the inability to explore underwater without worrying about this annoying task and soft gating of stuff below a certain depth. I think there might be another way to accomplish #2 without the annoying task component.

And I don't see how you can gloss over the tedium of how the player has to refill their air - that part is quite repetitive and seems overemphasized.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
This is the most inane thing to complain about. It's truly baffling.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Ham Sandwiches posted:

So you're saying that having to manage food and water is not enough, the player has to be struggling to breathe underwater for more than 30 seconds, in a game with scuba tanks about underwater exploration, because reasons.

Is it that the addition of oxygen pushes it into "hard to survive" territory in some way? I don't see it. Even when you die it's an inconvenience and you respawn. So it's mostly a nuisance. And to resolve this nuisance requirement, you have to stare at your dude slowly swimming to the surface, then break the surface, then enjoy the absolutely nothing there is to see there, then make sure the oxygen filled up, then dive back down, and go back to whatever you were doing.

It may simply be a difference of opinion but I clearly see what including this element costs the player - the inability to explore underwater without worrying about this annoying task and soft gating of stuff below a certain depth. I think there might be another way to accomplish #2 without the annoying task component.

And I don't see how you can gloss over the tedium of how the player has to refill their air - that part is quite repetitive and seems overemphasized.

Well you see. It's "Realistic" that we don't lug around multiple air tanks because a realistic scuba man would not carry multiple heavy tanks... but go gently caress yourself if you bring up that real life tanks have an air capacity reaching untold heights of "At least five minutes"

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Did they fix the draw distance yet?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Section Z posted:

Even saying that, still doesn't change the fact it remains less practical than before while being touted as an "Upgrade".

"Pfft, just wait several hours until you either stumble across or wiki up how to make the bigger tank :rolleyes:"
"Wait several hours for tanks that still need me to faff about with my PDA? Compared to having x6 the air of a normal tank stacking itself? How is that an upgrade?"
"Well them maybe just turn off air entirely then :smug:"

Wowie zowie. From zero to "Just play on creative mode then you casual" over people commenting that all it adds is busywork rather than :airquote: challenge.

This isn't how the conversation went. The post right above mine said swimming up for oxygen was too tedious for him for the first hour of play, so I recommended he turn that off mechanic off (you can do so with the console). Perhaps if your point can't stand on it's own without embellishment you might be arguing in bad faith.

Section Z posted:

Well you see. It's "Realistic" that we don't lug around multiple air tanks because a realistic scuba man would not carry multiple heavy tanks... but go gently caress yourself if you bring up that real life tanks have an air capacity reaching untold heights of "At least five minutes"

Carrying multiple air tanks trivializes the challenge of the early game. But you're able to work yourself out of it pretty quickly compared to the length of the game. It's not about realism (or lack of it). It's about giving you different playstyles and mechanics to work with as you progress through the game.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jun 22, 2017

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Did they fix the draw distance yet?

It seems better, same with the load-in/pop-in. But I haven't done much with my latest game (Aurora and Floating Island), so I might run into much worse areas.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Some nice changes I can see already that they didn't list. The seaglide only takes 6 slots instead of 9 now, and creepvine seed clusters get you way more bang for your buck (1 seed gives 2 silicone rubber when it used to be 2 for 1, and 1 seed gives 1 lubricant when it used to take 3).

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The high capacity tank can be made fairly quickly. it leaves you with 135 seconds total

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Tonight I got to read an argument about how an underwater survival game shouldn't have a meaningful oxygen management system. It's nice to know there are still little surprises like this one waiting out there for me.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

dylguy90 posted:

Tonight I got to read an argument about how an underwater survival game shouldn't have a meaningful oxygen management system. It's nice to know there are still little surprises like this one waiting out there for me.

A future space world oxygen tank -should- last longer than minutes, to be quite honest, but hilariously truncated bar management seems to just be a ~thing~ with survival games now.

Also, no, it isn't 'meaningful' as it is currently. Oxygen management is a necessity for an underwater survival game, inarguably, but the way it works in practice in Subnautica suffers from the same problem of 'Just stuff 40 watermelons in your face and be thirsty in 3 minutes' realism. It's another tedious bar to manage until it becomes trivialized into a nonissue.

Magmarashi fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jun 22, 2017

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Magmarashi posted:

A future space world oxygen tank -should- last longer than minutes, to be quite honest, but hilariously truncated bar management seems to just be a ~thing~ with survival games now.

Also, no, it isn't 'meaningful' as it is currently. Oxygen management is a necessity for an underwater survival game, inarguably, but the way it works in practice in Subnautica suffers from the same problem of 'Just stuff 40 watermelons in your face and be thirsty in 3 minutes' realism. It's another tedious bar to manage until it becomes trivialized into a nonissue.

Just ignore the fact that time runs super fast and the concept of "meaningful oxygen management system". It's a video game. What's the point of oxygen management if there's no game to it? To make sure you don't AFK under the surface for an hour?

The most baffling thing is that you do progress out of it pretty early on. Or you can use the console and not have to worry about it. It's such an inane argument.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Zesty posted:

Just ignore the fact that time runs super fast and the concept of "meaningful oxygen management system". It's a video game. What's the point of oxygen management if there's no game to it? To make sure you don't AFK under the surface for an hour?

The most baffling thing is that you do progress out of it pretty early on. Or you can use the console and not have to worry about it. It's such an inane argument.

Presumably because some people might want the mechanic to work better? If you seemingly progress out of it so quickly as to be an afterthought, why not just start at the better base level and create a more thoughtful limiter using world mechanics instead?

"Just Cheat" is not really a solution to a weakly implemented game mechanic.

Magmarashi fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jun 22, 2017

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
"Just cheat" is the solution for people that don't want there to be any meaningful challenge to oxygen management for the first hour of play.

You clearly just want your oxygen capacity so high that you don't have to pay attention or plan ahead for it. So just cheat. :shrug:

Zesty fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jun 22, 2017

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Zesty posted:

"Just cheat" is the solution for people that don't want there to be any meaningful challenge to oxygen management for the first hour of play.

You clearly just want your oxygen capacity so high that you don't have to pay attention or plan ahead for it. So just cheat. :shrug:

Yeah, sure, that's exactly what 'I want the mechanic to be more thought out than just a tedium bar' means. Right. :jerkbag:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
You weren't complaining until you couldn't fill your pockets with extra air tanks.

You guys should voice your concerns on their forums if you think it needs to be changed.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jun 22, 2017

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I can't say for certain how improved the performance is until I let my save cook for long enough and get to the really painful spots like that river place, but so far I'm feeling encouraged. I was able to go from the surface down to ~200m below the surface to the purple mushroom cave and the game didn't hitch a bit, which would have been a miracle before this update. It also seems a bit better at loading things in before you have to see them appear, although you will still get a lot of that, and there are still some bad lag moments.

I went down to around the sea floor in the mushroom tree forest, which I remember running badly enough to dissuade me from making a base there before, and I ran into a lot of those hitches where the game visibly stops completely for a moment, so I'm still worried. But this definitely feels like a step in the right direction, which is what I've been wanting to see for a long time.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Zesty posted:

You weren't complaining until you couldn't fill your pockets with extra air tanks.

It's currently the topic? I don't think either 'solution' is worth a poo poo and demonstrates on a small level a lack of focus on the mechanics they've added to the game. I'm sorry I didn't express this specific complaint about how things worked a week or a month ago, when you no doubt would have approved of my posts enough to grace them with more thought out responses than what amounts to 'shut up'.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Oh shut up. :jerkbag:

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Ok, yes it's dumb that you could trivialize the underwater timer by having a bunch of tanks in your inventory

Given that real tanks last like ... an hour, why do the tanks in the game last 30 seconds? Is "staying down without drowning" supposed to be a challenge in a game that is about exploring underwater? I really don't get it.

Like if you had some timer that you had to hit every minute in Ark or 7 days to die and if you didn't you'd die, would that make the game better? I'm not sure it would.

"We decided in our game that every 30 seconds you get to waste 5 seconds swimming to the surface, inhaling into your oxygen tanks??? :confused: ???, and then spending 5 more seconds getting back to where you were"

Section Z posted:

You're both idiots and the only reason you even have an argument is because you misrepresent both the game and the reality.

The air tanks in real life you can refill just by being on the surface (as opposed to ones you need a compressor for) are quite realistic in this game. Doing anything else would need a power source even in the far-flung spacefuture. The reason they only can hold seconds to minutes of air is because it would require a far larger device to refill anything with a higher pressure. So that argument is out.

Managing your air adds an additional element complexity to both combat and underwater exploration, and it will eat a lot more than a few seconds out of your time on deeper trips. And if you think it's just busywork and that death is just a nuisance... how the gently caress are any of the survival elements any different? You don't want any of the elements that differentiate survival from creative and yet telling you to just play creative is an insult somehow? Jesus wept.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Magmarashi posted:

Unlike filling a hunger/thirst bar, managing your oxygen when deep diving is actually fun and interesting tbh. Especially when you need to explore wrecks and can easily get lost in one. The panic of trying to reach the surface before you pass out because you decided to mingle too long is the kind of experience you play videogames for.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Away all Goats posted:

Unlike filling a hunger/thirst bar, managing your oxygen when deep diving is actually fun and interesting tbh. Especially when you need to explore wrecks and can easily get lost in one. The panic of trying to reach the surface before you pass out because you decided to mingle too long is the kind of experience you play videogames for.

Also you could trivialize every bit of combat and never be in any danger with actually infinite oxygen. Most of my deaths come from "I can't stay here or I suffocate, but if I get into the open I get eaten".

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

endlessmonotony posted:

Also you could trivialize every bit of combat and never be in any danger with actually infinite oxygen. Most of my deaths come from "I can't stay here or I suffocate, but if I get into the open I get eaten".

This is also why it's the only fun survival mechanic, unlike food/water which serves to annoy the player.

People complaining about not having an hour of oxygen time would find this game short lived because you could just swim down to the final zones (Unless you believe in science, then good luck swimming past 40m anyways.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

yeah, there's nothing really wrong with the short air tanks - it's unrealistic and game-y but provides a fun source of tension, esp. when exploring caves or wrecks.

Speaking of, I've literally never used a dive reel. Is it good for anything at all?