Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I just want to know who stole the cure syringes :ssj:

Apparently we're not finding out this season, as they ran out of time to tell that story. Rob Thomas said as much in an interview somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

It's good to have a sense of scale.

I had to pause and laugh for four or five things this ep, and I still missed the lightbulb. This loving show! It turns out every zombie media thing ever mostly sucked because they took the whole thing seriously. Just take the stupid concept that it is and run with it, then you get iZombie and Z-Nation. :allears:

Also someone totally called Shauna(?) blogging the poo poo out of all her interactions with Major. She's definitely behind the shirts.

The Threeway Flashback was great, the puns were great and the Rachel twist legit got me. I think iZ may have absorbed all the fun out of the Flash's writer's room, like what Futurama did to The Simpsons. Creative Cannibalism, if you will :haw:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Caedus posted:

The Threeway Flashback was great, the puns were great and the Rachel twist legit got me. I think iZ may have absorbed all the fun out of the Flash's writer's room, like what Futurama did to The Simpsons. Creative Cannibalism, if you will :haw:

I know what you're saying, but iZombie's production crew is entirely unrelated to the Berlanti superhero crowd. Rob Thomas's posse of writers have basically stuck with him through every project he's worked on, from Veronica Mars, through Party Down, to Cupid, to here. I assume they'll also be working on the Misfits remake as well.

The Flash seems to have had a largely stable writers room since its inception, though it also seems to have a fair handful of single script commissions (about four a year, which makes me think it's contractual). If the show sucks, it's because the people writing the show suck, and not because they've been vacuumed away by another show (or even another superhero show).

TheBlackVegetable
Oct 29, 2006
One thing I don't get is why that zombie girl had a vision in the bank if she's been eating mush brains.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

TheBlackVegetable posted:

One thing I don't get is why that zombie girl had a vision in the bank if she's been eating mush brains.

She must be getting brain paste from Fillmore Graves, and also have gotten the pure stuff somehow. The FG zombies treat pure brains like taking drugs, so of course the zombie teenagers would want to try it.

Or maybe the mixer malfunctioned on that batch, and the tube she got had a lump in it.

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

It's good to have a sense of scale.

Open Source Idiom posted:

I know what you're saying, but iZombie's production crew is entirely unrelated to the Berlanti superhero crowd. Rob Thomas's posse of writers have basically stuck with him through every project he's worked on, from Veronica Mars, through Party Down, to Cupid, to here. I assume they'll also be working on the Misfits remake as well.

The Flash seems to have had a largely stable writers room since its inception, though it also seems to have a fair handful of single script commissions (about four a year, which makes me think it's contractual). If the show sucks, it's because the people writing the show suck, and not because they've been vacuumed away by another show (or even another superhero show).

I knew none of this and simply imagined Rob Thomas bringing the iZ writer's room a bunch of smoothies and being really evasive about where they're from. All I know is my interest waned in the Flash about the same time I discovered iZ and they're both CW shows. That is pretty interesting to know, though. I really don't have any idea how TV shows get written/made.

Side note: is Misfits worth watching through? Or should I wait for this remake you speak of? I never caught it when it was on.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

The first couple seasons of Misfits are fantastic. It gets iffy when they do a cast shakeup. I stopped watching after that, but other people report it gets good again.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Floppychop posted:

The first couple seasons of Misfits are fantastic. It gets iffy when they do a cast shakeup. I stopped watching after that, but other people report it gets good again.

I reckon there's at least two good episodes a season, even in the worst season (Season 3 or 4, depending on who you'd ask. I'd say 3, which despite being rubbish still has the Hitler episode.). The cast is consistently pretty good though. The first and final seasons are the best, and probably the most serialised.

Which is probably its strength; since after the first season you can just pick and choose whichever episodes you really want to watch based on how interesting they sound, give or take the occasional important episode (which are usually at least good). And should you get to the final season, you can just watch most of that in a row.

The show is frequently filthy in a way that they'll never be able to air unexpurgated on loving Freeform, but I guess we'll see.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

If it were anybody other than Rob Thomas, I would be worried about the remake. Or more worried, anyway. A big part of the charm of Misfits is just how filthy the characters and show are. If he channels more Party Down and less VMars/iZ it could work out well.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

So why wouldn't they try to question Harley instead of just tossing him into the freezer? Hell Major could do it. Not like he has anything else going on. I guess they don't have the chance now :happyelf: Poor Major though. Italian vacation has been cancelled.

The whole series of scenes in the interview room were loving amazing.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I wish that this episode had actually aired today for me instead of a loving baseball game. They pushed it to Saturday.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
hahahahahaha the lengths this goddamn show will go to to keep making GBS threads on Major 24/7 are incredible

I hope we haven't seen the last of albino Liv. It's just so weird seeing her in that dumb wig and spray tan that doesn't even look like a real person. :mad:

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Chokes McGee posted:

hahahahahaha the lengths this goddamn show will go to to keep making GBS threads on Major 24/7 are incredible

I hope we haven't seen the last of albino Liv. It's just so weird seeing her in that dumb wig and spray tan that doesn't even look like a real person. :mad:

Agreed. What's the point of having Rose McIver on the show if she's going to be unrecognizable

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Chokes McGee posted:

See, I thought the poo poo On Major plot point was gonna be his zombies-in-arms re-turning him. Instead, they're cool and they die along with the one person who he actually managed to save. Perfect.

Chokes McGee posted:

Non-zombie Liv reminded me of Melissa Benoist which makes me want to see a CW crossover where Supergirl pretends to be a zombie.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
For the most part I laud this show for being able to juggle multiple plots without being confusing, but for once I have to admit I got lost at the end there: who was the lady that turned out to be Patrice's mom?

Also Jesus Christ Major :(

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Argue posted:

For the most part I laud this show for being able to juggle multiple plots without being confusing, but for once I have to admit I got lost at the end there: who was the lady that turned out to be Patrice's mom?

She was the administrator at the mercenary company who mainly dealt with the support services for the infected family members of the employees (ie: the classroom for the zombie kids)

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Argue posted:

Same, but apparently she was in 5 episodes already?

Slashrat posted:

She was the administrator at the mercenary company who mainly dealt with the support services for the infected family members of the employees (ie: the classroom for the zombie kids)

Ah, okay.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
She's also the only member of Fillmore Graves' original board to survive the helicopter accident -- which, in and of itself, is suspicious.

(And she's Djaq from Robin Hood.)

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I'm so used to zombie Liv that her natural skin tone looks weird, now. Too pink, like a kewpie doll.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
Heh, I forgot Rule Number One of this show while watching this episode and thought they were writing Major out and giving him a really nice ending to wrap up his storyline. Then the end of the episode and "Oh, right."

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

CaptainCaveman posted:

Heh, I forgot Rule Number One of this show while watching this episode and thought they were writing Major out and giving him a really nice ending to wrap up his storyline. Then the end of the episode and "Oh, right."

Yeah, the 6 month tourist visa thing made it seem like he could be 'gone' for the off-season and have a reason to come back for season 4. But no, no lovely vacation for Major.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Yeah, the 6 month tourist visa thing made it seem like he could be 'gone' for the off-season and have a reason to come back for season 4. But no, no lovely vacation for Major.

ehn you've already bought the tickets might as well go anyway

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I wonder if Fillmore Graves will give him his job back now that they are short handed. :newlol:

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

Facebook Aunt posted:

I wonder if Fillmore Graves will give him his job back now that they are short handed. :newlol:

I half expect all the zombie mercs to have survived and only Natalie died since she was human again, just to twist the knife more for Major.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Slashrat posted:

Yeah, her showing up basically explains what happened to the CDC lady. She came snooping around, talked to the girl about the flu outbreak but someone at Fillmore Graves freaked out and had her killed.

Had a hearty laugh at opposite day Liv saying how she was covered in a ton of paint and wearing an uncomfortable wig.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I'm pretty sure the CDC lady ended up dead because she slept with Stoll.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

It's probably both. Especially since he chastised Major for sleeping with a human.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Holy poo poo the end of that episode was insane. How did Harley even find them?

TheBlackVegetable
Oct 29, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

The anti-zombie group might be a lot more organised and capable than what's been shown, especially now there's newspaper articles with zombie monsters (cute zombie monsters) on the cover.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

CaptainCaveman posted:

I half expect all the zombie mercs to have survived and only Natalie died since she was human again, just to twist the knife more for Major.

Nah, she's the only one barely hanging in there, but refuses to let Major zombify her with a finger he finds on the ground. It'll be sad and poo poo.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

TheBlackVegetable posted:

The anti-zombie group might be a lot more organised and capable than what's been shown, especially now there's newspaper articles with zombie monsters (cute zombie monsters) on the cover.

They invited him to a meeting earlier in the season, then two goons attacked him an episode later and revealed themselves to be zombies. That basically painted a huge marker on the company's back.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
In the year 2375, Miles O'Brien watches ancient reruns of iZombie and gets strange feelings of deja vu.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Floppychop posted:

But if she'd slept with Chase, she'd have been zombified. So maybe someone killed her while she was on the way to his room.

Also, drat it. Of course there was no chance something good would ever happen to Major, but I was still really excited for Natalie to get a happy ending.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Not going to lie, I was lowkey hoping they would actually write Major off and have him go. His story just feels complete to me, and his story since regaining his memory as a human has been my least favourite part of the season. Let the man go be happy or w/e.

Of course I knew it was too good to be true. RIP zombie hooker.

Hopefully not RIP Jason Dohring, I want him to stick around forever and bang Liv more tbh.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

Also, drat it. Of course there was no chance something good would ever happen to Major, but I was still really excited for Natalie to get a happy ending.

Natalie's whole "living in Italy for six months" thing struck me as odd. Before Major froze her, wasn't she on the verge of losing her house because she only got paid for sex in brains? Now all of a sudden she has "travel the world and rent a villa" money stowed away?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Cojawfee posted:

As he defrosted his two buddies were talking about how they had been spying on suspected zombies. They had a map. He could have driven around looking at those locations until he found one that was crowded. A zombie party probably had some brain tubes floating around too, so he'd see enough evidence that there were plenty of zombies there even if they didn't look like zombies.

ShakeZula posted:

Natalie's whole "living in Italy for six months" thing struck me as odd. Before Major froze her, wasn't she on the verge of losing her house because she only got paid for sex in brains? Now all of a sudden she has "travel the world and rent a villa" money stowed away?

It was a really nice stand alone house with a large yard in Seattle. Easily worth over a million, possibly several million. She could easily have had over a million dollars of equity in the house and yet been unable to keep up with the payments, and downsizing would mean losing the house she loved.

Depressed people don't always make optimal decisions. Her situation sucked. She went from being a high class call girl to an impoverished one with no control over her schedule or clientele. Most of her new clients resented their own status, she was literally the only woman in the world they could safely gently caress, and some of them probably treated her like poo poo because of it. In that situation having to downsize to a condo could be the last straw.

Or she could have robbed the rich zombie that bought her.

If the villa in Italy was in a rustic rural area without modern amenities the rent could be pretty cheap too. She may not have the money to do that sort of thing for the rest of her life, but if she was basically doing a gap year style backpacking tour of europe and happened upon a cheap rental property it's plausible she could have enough savings to live that way for at least a couple years. Blowing through your savings that way may not be smart, but with what she has been through she may not care about the long-term future much right now.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Floppychop posted:

I think the implication is that the potentially-weaponized flu that the CDC was investigating was brought in as part of the Fillmore-Graves D-Day plan. You know, to bring Seattle's human population down to a more manageable number in order to clear the path to becoming the new Zombie Nation.

Anyway, FG's the kind of company that would find out that the CDC investigator who's getting too close to the truth always picks up guys in bars when she's on the road, and Chase would obviously go after her himself (both because their secret bioweapon plan doesn't need any more people knowing about it, and because storytelling economy demands that you don't drag in some rando when you have a perfect antagonist already right there).

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

The only part of this that makes me groan is that of course the fact that Liv banged Logan Echolls is going to result in relationship drama between her and the other zombie dude she's dating, who is probably also going to wind up dead because he's a side character that I like.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Trilobite posted:

I think the implication is that the potentially-weaponized flu that the CDC was investigating was brought in as part of the Fillmore-Graves D-Day plan. You know, to bring Seattle's human population down to a more manageable number in order to clear the path to becoming the new Zombie Nation.

Anyway, FG's the kind of company that would find out that the CDC investigator who's getting too close to the truth always picks up guys in bars when she's on the road, and Chase would obviously go after her himself (both because their secret bioweapon plan doesn't need any more people knowing about it, and because storytelling economy demands that you don't drag in some rando when you have a perfect antagonist already right there).

This is the finale week right? That seems like too big of a reveal to work through for the finale though I really like the idea. I was thinking maybe someone got a little nibbly or scratchy on the plane as a side story...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

raditts posted:

The only part of this that makes me groan is that of course the fact that Liv banged Logan Echolls is going to result in relationship drama between her and the other zombie dude she's dating, who is probably also going to wind up dead because he's a side character that I like.

I'm hoping they are able to subvert the trope since she's on sex addict brain.

• Locked thread