Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
Honestly, of the new stuff, one of the things that I'm most interested in is the class that apparently doesn't use guns. Wonder how that's gonna play out.

Also maybe kinda hoping it's a prelude to them working on a game using this system in a different gun-less setting :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

BenRGamer posted:

Honestly, of the new stuff, one of the things that I'm most interested in is the class that apparently doesn't use guns. Wonder how that's gonna play out.

Also maybe kinda hoping it's a prelude to them working on a game using this system in a different gun-less setting :v:

Which class doesn't use guns?

From the previews it looked like they all did?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Someone make a wrestlemania hulk hogan class please.

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014

BenRGamer posted:

Templars have a pistol-esque (it's separate from the Sharpshooter's) secondary.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Is there an archive of Beagle's latest XCOM 1 twitch series?

e:It seems to all still be on twitch, but the dates are weird.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jun 22, 2017

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

Zore posted:

Which class doesn't use guns?

From the previews it looked like they all did?

Eh, Jake said something in one of the E3 videos about how the Templar was a melee only class. Was that wrong?

Kwanzaa Quickie
Nov 4, 2009
Aahahahha
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=949074275

Always Sunny in Philadelphia voice pack.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Rinkles posted:

Is there an archive of Beagle's latest XCOM 1 twitch series?

e:It seems to all still be on twitch, but the dates are weird.

I stopped watching it because holy poo poo has he leaned into the worst facecam gimmicks in the last few years.

Also he started his stream literally doing color commentary over someone on youtube critiquing his show from the previous week. For almost a goddamn hour.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

I love everything about this. I love that the tensing is wrong. I love that the resistance could be bad off enough to recruit the gang. I love rum ham

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
I lost all my mods last time i played in a effort to make LW2 compatible with my install so i have two questions:

1: There was a mod that would tell me the time of day and biome of a mission, anyone know the name of this one? I need it to dress up my soldiers properly.
2: On the embark screen i have too many buttons on the bottom of the screen due to using the uniform mod and it creates problems where the buttons sometimes gently caress up and clear my entire squad etc. (down where there is a Build Items button). I feel like there was a mod that fixed this, but i might just have wished there was one. Was there one?!

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Zore posted:

I stopped watching it because holy poo poo has he leaned into the worst facecam gimmicks in the last few years.

Also he started his stream literally doing color commentary over someone on youtube critiquing his show from the previous week. For almost a goddamn hour.

XWynns had a fantastic burn on his latest LW2 video. After finishing a supply raid that took over an hour and 61 turns. "Well, still quicker than Beagle doing a small scout."

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

PlasticAutomaton posted:

XWynns had a fantastic burn on his latest LW2 video. After finishing a supply raid that took over an hour and 61 turns. "Well, still quicker than Beagle doing a small scout."

I thought I heard that wrong but that loving owns. Xavier is a huge dork but he's funny.

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009

Dongattack posted:

I lost all my mods last time i played in a effort to make LW2 compatible with my install so i have two questions:

1: There was a mod that would tell me the time of day and biome of a mission, anyone know the name of this one? I need it to dress up my soldiers properly.
2: On the embark screen i have too many buttons on the bottom of the screen due to using the uniform mod and it creates problems where the buttons sometimes gently caress up and clear my entire squad etc. (down where there is a Build Items button). I feel like there was a mod that fixed this, but i might just have wished there was one. Was there one?!

1 - The uniform mod does this (which it sounds like you already have). It's on the screen where you can apply one uniform to your entire squad.
2 - I don't know if there's a mod for this, but what works for me is going to a soldier's loadout and hitting one of the unequip all buttons (I forget if that's a separate mod or in vanilla). Then back out, go to build items, and back to the squad again. It's a pain in the rear end but it usually gets all the buttons working right for me.

stopgap1
Jul 27, 2013
Just beat Xcom2 for the first time guys. I had a crappy graphics card the first time and it just wasn't worth it. this time around went great. Iron Man run too.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Does anyone know about this "hunt" mechanic Beagle keeps mentioning in XCom EW? I don't remember ever hearing about it before.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

Does anyone know about this "hunt" mechanic Beagle keeps mentioning in XCom EW? I don't remember ever hearing about it before.

Apparently it's an Long War 1 thing where when the aliens lose sight of you they gain the ability to know exactly where you are on the map and all remaining aliens will converge on your position either directly or by flank.

stopgap1 posted:

Just beat Xcom2 for the first time guys. I had a crappy graphics card the first time and it just wasn't worth it. this time around went great. Iron Man run too.

Congrats on your victory! And an iron man run to boot. Have you already watched LowSpecGaming's guide on how to lower graphics settings in xcom 2's ini file? It really helps save the framerate and won't make your laptop so hot it can burn your hand off.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Annointed posted:

Apparently it's an Long War 1 thing where when the aliens lose sight of you they gain the ability to know exactly where you are on the map and all remaining aliens will converge on your position either directly or by flank.

That sounds incredibly bullshit.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Stephen9001 posted:

That sounds incredibly bullshit.

Now tell us how you feel about Green Fog :smug:

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
So what's the deal with the Chosen assholes? I thought humanity's deal was that we had the right mix of everything the ethereals wanted: physical strength, willpower, psychic power. And now these three jerks turn up out of nowhere as the champions of the ethereal empire, wouldn't there be other members of that race that can do everything humans can do but better? If so, why bother exploit the humans instead of glassing the place that presents as a threat?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

So what's the deal with the Chosen assholes? I thought humanity's deal was that we had the right mix of everything the ethereals wanted: physical strength, willpower, psychic power. And now these three jerks turn up out of nowhere as the champions of the ethereal empire, wouldn't there be other members of that race that can do everything humans can do but better? If so, why bother exploit the humans instead of glassing the place that presents as a threat?
I'm just assuming they're part human and they're "special" people like the Commander with huge potential

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Lunethex posted:

y tho?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I still love that the implication of Anarchy's Children is that Bradford is sneaking into some seedy Advent backalley, going to the shittiest and most rundown bar he can find and shouting "WHO WANTS A GUN". And the only guy who volunteers is some guy in a leather vest and hot pants.

I also like the implication with XCOM 2's ending and the expansion about to come out with alien mercs and all is that Earth is the galactic equivalent of that lovely rundown bar.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

RBA Starblade posted:

I still love that the implication of Anarchy's Children is that Bradford is sneaking into some seedy Advent backalley, going to the shittiest and most rundown bar he can find and shouting "WHO WANTS A GUN". And the only guy who volunteers is some guy in a leather vest and hot pants.

I also like the implication with XCOM 2's ending and the expansion about to come out with alien mercs and all is that Earth is the galactic equivalent of that lovely rundown bar.

So, Paddy's Planet then?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Iron Crowned posted:

So, Paddy's Planet then?

XCOM 3: Gun Fever Three

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Lunethex posted:

Ah, for the masochists who want to get off on their own suffering in a strategy game I see. An interesting niche, to be sure.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Stephen9001 posted:

Ah, for the masochists who want to get off on their own suffering in a strategy game I see. An interesting niche, to be sure.

I really don't see how greenfog would work well with long war's long battles. That just seems counterintuitive. I guess it's manageable if you keep dashing and save your grenades and rockets when none of your characters can hold their gun straight, then again big maps with alot of enemies.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Annointed posted:

I really don't see how greenfog would work well with long war's long battles. That just seems counterintuitive. I guess it's manageable if you keep dashing and save your grenades and rockets when none of your characters can hold their gun straight, then again big maps with alot of enemies.

Much like most of Long War, it doesn't work well

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Wait for my new mod entitled "Till It Goes Click," which gives everyone a 100% accurate shot from point blank range but eats all their ammo. (Someone make this please actually.)

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Zore posted:

I used to love Beagle but I think Internet fame turned him into a rambling madman. Xwynns is the new Beagle for me. Fantastic.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Phobophilia posted:

I would assume that the Chosen are basically proto-Avatars that were made during the early steps of figuring out the Avatar Project; not good enough to serve as Ethereal vessels, but way beyond everything else. It would handily explain why ADVENT is still melting humans into slurry, why the Ethereals still want you, and why there are only a couple of Chosen all in one go.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Stephen9001 posted:

You realize that's how it works in vanilla Xcom1, right? Long War 1 made Red Fog apply to aliens and then added "Green fog" that only applied to you if you wanted to play how it would be without Long War. Both Red Fog and Green Fog remain entirely optional.

But no, it's Long War so a bunch of people who have no idea what they're talking about are going to complain about how only masochists would play it :rolleyes:

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Hm I don't think soldier aim and will stats decreasing every turn is a vanilla feature, could be wrong though!

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
I am usually on the Enjoys Long War side of these debates but, um, vanilla XCOM:EW does not have escalating aim and will penalties for every turn a mission takes. I don't remember if Red Fog was a Second Wave option in the base game, but Green certainly was not (actually I don't even remember it from Long War either but I stopped playing LW1 after XCOM 2 came out sooo....)

Actually, looking at it, wasn't Green Fog added by a mod to Long War rather than the team itself? Sure, there are people who want "difficulty through loving the player over" Turned Up To Eleven, but they're no more involved with or representative of Long War itself than Iron Rose's mods were in the opposite direction.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Bremen posted:

You realize that's how it works in vanilla Xcom1, right? Long War 1 made Red Fog apply to aliens and then added "Green fog" that only applied to you if you wanted to play how it would be without Long War. Both Red Fog and Green Fog remain entirely optional.

But no, it's Long War so a bunch of people who have no idea what they're talking about are going to complain about how only masochists would play it :rolleyes:

Actually no. Red Fog only lowers aim and movement when a unit takes damage, not make your soldiers worse with each consecutive term even if you didn't take any damage. This is the same both in Vanilla and long war.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Ah. My mistake. I read it as a red fog that only applied to your soldiers, like in Vanilla.

Okay, yeah, I have no idea who would play with that option.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Bremen posted:

Ah. My mistake. I read it as a red fog that only applied to your soldiers, like in Vanilla.

To be honest this mode would be perfect for XCOM 2 since XCOM 2 is about going in hot and fast and Green Fog would make it so you have to make every turn count. Then again if you already didn't like facing pressure under the clock in Vanilla, you're probably not going to like it as a fan mod.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Bremen posted:

Your mistake is forgiven, given its similarity to the phrase Red Fog, and the fact it can be difficult to believe someone would actually make something like that an option. If it had been what you originally thought it was, I would have been like "penalties for you but not the aliens, stuff for desiring a "challenge" I suppose I can understand that" since it could be argued that's something that simply punishes your mistakes (if you consider getting shot at all a mistake, which many do) and as such enhances the challenge, as opposed to just calling them masochists for playing with an option that makes their own soldiers worse arbitrarily.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Annointed posted:

To be honest this mode would be perfect for XCOM 2 since XCOM 2 is about going in hot and fast and Green Fog would make it so you have to make every turn count. Then again if you already didn't like facing pressure under the clock in Vanilla, you're probably not going to like it as a fan mod.

Stephen9001 posted:

Your mistake is forgiven, given its similarity to the phrase Red Fog, and the fact it can be difficult to believe someone would actually make something like that an option. If it had been what you originally thought it was, I would have been like "penalties for you but not the aliens, stuff for desiring a "challenge" I suppose I can understand that" since it could be argued that's something that simply punishes your mistakes (if you consider getting shot at all a mistake, which many do) and as such enhances the challenge, as opposed to just calling them masochists for playing with an option that makes their own soldiers worse arbitrarily.

Probably similar attempts, actually; XCom1 had no built in mod support, so the things the Long War team could change were very limited. But people did complain about overwatch creep a lot (hence why Xcom2 added timers); I suspect the Long War team couldn't add timers but could add green fog, and probably decided to toss it in as an option for someone who wanted a reason not to overwatch creep.

a cow
May 6, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Annointed posted:

I much prefer XCOM EW's meld rewarding non-slow play. Getting punished for "wrong" play feels bad - being rewarded for "correct" play feels good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Annointed posted:

I think the limited ammo mod works better tbh