Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

What is boring is seeing ming take over everything with nothing stopping them every game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

:sigh:

I'm already teetering on certain death with the green menace down there, don't you start wanting more poo poo, 80 trust ally.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

What is boring is seeing ming take over everything with nothing stopping them every game.

Fixing Mandate problems would probably fix this. It should be possible for Ming to run away with the region, they just shouldn't be doing it in most games, and right now they're doing it in all games.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I don't mind Ming itself, I am pissed off by their tributaries. I've had games where I joined them as 2000k development tributary (losing GP in the process) because I simply can't be arsed beating them over and over again for every lovely indian minor I want to conquer.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Jim Barris posted:

I bought this game while it was on sale because I really liked Stellaris. I don't know what to do and am very intimated by the many varied options. Does anyone have a beginner's guide of sorts they could link me too? Something to explain what my general goal is and what I should be doing in the early game. I bought Art of War and Common Sense as well, if that matters.

The goal of the game is to get big, to build a strong army which you can use to get big, and to make lots of money to pay for your strong army. It's hard to be more precise than that because so much depends on your nation pick and starting position. The game does have a mission system which is intended to provide you with a bit of direction (and the Age system which is supposed to give you overarching goals, but you probably don't have the DLC for it) but in general it expects you to set your own broader objectives.

Honestly, I'd recommend setting the game to easy, playing as the Ottomans, and just jumping in - specific questions about "how do I do X as nation Y" are a lot easier to answer. They are super strong and have plenty of weaker neighbors to beat up, rob, and generally destroy. Pay close attention to tooltips and don't despair if you screw up.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

I Love You! posted:

have you considered how loving absurd absolutism is

How so?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

What percentage of my force limits should I have as Castille in the early game? Should it be how much I can pay for without going into debt?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Technowolf posted:

What percentage of my force limits should I have as Castille in the early game? Should it be how much I can pay for without going into debt?
A lot of people say that you should do your best to get to your forcelimit because it can make a huge difference determining if you get attacked, and they arent wrong, but as Castille if you have Aragon in a PU and/or are allied to France you can get away with less - because you definitely do not want to be running a deficit in peacetime. Sometimes your forcelimits are through the roof and impossible to get to, too. As Castille, if you are feeling safe, I would try to have at least an army that covers the current Combat Width.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Hacking your coring/warscore costs in half really goes a long way toward lategame conquests is all I'm implying.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Jim Barris posted:

I bought this game while it was on sale because I really liked Stellaris. I don't know what to do and am very intimated by the many varied options. Does anyone have a beginner's guide of sorts they could link me too? Something to explain what my general goal is and what I should be doing in the early game. I bought Art of War and Common Sense as well, if that matters.

This series helped me get over that learning curve, it's Arumba teaching FilthyRobot how the game actually works. It's on the 1.19 patch and with all of the DLC, but the basics should still apply. They go over how monarch points, diplomacy and wars work, and that's pretty much most of what you need to start with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-9ZE9UZUF0

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Technowolf posted:

It depends on a lot of things. Your income, the strength of your allies, your goals.

Are you mostly focused on colonies? Then you need only enough that your subjects don't get unruly. Do you have France or Austria as an ally to beat your enemies? Then you can just keep a small good force to do choice sieges and battles. Are you surrounded by rivals? Then you'll need more to dissuade them and be able to win wars quickly and efficiently so they don't gang up on you while you are engaged.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Sephyr posted:

It depends on a lot of things. Your income, the strength of your allies, your goals.

Are you mostly focused on colonies? Then you need only enough that your subjects don't get unruly. Do you have France or Austria as an ally to beat your enemies? Then you can just keep a small good force to do choice sieges and battles. Are you surrounded by rivals? Then you'll need more to dissuade them and be able to win wars quickly and efficiently so they don't gang up on you while you are engaged.

This is kind of a learning game, so I'm not going to be really focused.

I was able to get Austria as an ally and have Aragon in a PU, but France rivaled me pretty early. However, they've been getting beaten up pretty regularly by Austria/Burgundy (when it was around)/and England.

I've got around 30,000 troops at the moment, but I think I'm going to drop that down to about 20-25,000 to just deal with rebels now.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Is there a way to change hotkeys? I'm playing on my laptop and the game seems to believe that the buttons for adjusting volume are the hotkeys for several things including, but not limited, to splitting units off of armies.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I Love You! posted:

Hacking your coring/warscore costs in half really goes a long way toward lategame conquests is all I'm implying.

IIRC the guy you were responding to was playing Milan, so he may have been a republic.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

QuarkJets posted:

IIRC the guy you were responding to was playing Milan, so he may have been a republic.

oh dear

Too Poetic
Nov 28, 2008

Whats the best cav to infantry ratio? is it still 4 cav and then the rest of the combat width infantry?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Why did they buff loan interest so much? You used to be able to float a few loans but now they're crippling. You're basically forced to debase currency constantly.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

^^^you can definitely still float a couple loans but only if your economy is really solid to begin with. If I'm not already king poo poo of my region, the only way I take loans is to fund a war that will allow me to make the money to rapidly pay back the loans. Corruption takes forever to go away and puts a cramp on almost everything you do so if you find yourself in a position where you consistently have to debase to pay back your loans, stop taking loans imho.

Too Poetic posted:

Whats the best cav to infantry ratio? is it still 4 cav and then the rest of the combat width infantry?

Depends on who you are but for most late game Euro nations 4 or even 2 is fine. A nation with good cavalry ideas like Poland can get mileage out of 6 or even more. Unfortunately the time when cavalry are most desirable and good is the time when you're least likely to be able to afford them in large numbers, but they are still extremely effective right up through the midgame.

Hordes of course want a 1:1 or even more if they can manage it. A fun thing you can do if you are making a lot of money as a horde/are Manchu is take the first Age bonus that gives 20% improved cavalry ratio or whatever and then have a stack that can be 90% cav with no penalties. Just pull twenty banners out of your rear end, slap two infantry units in there so you don't get the penalty the moment one takes damage, roll a general with half decent shock, and then blitzkrieg halfway to Vietnam splattering everything fool enough to fight in flat country.

skasion fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jun 23, 2017

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Still bummed out they made it so you can't normally get 100% cav as a horde unless you're in very special circumstances.

Seems like the kind of bonus that'd make sense to be added to aristocratic ideas too.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Too Poetic posted:

The value sweet spot depends on your flanking range, which increases with miltech. At miltech 3, 4 undamaged cavalry give you the maximum possible flanking bonus

More cavalry will make your army better, up to whatever maximum ratio your country has (usually 50%), they just cost a lot more than infantry

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Why is the game getting so much negative feedback on Steam lately? I vaguely understand it has something to with DLC prices, but the DLC prices have always been kinda lovely outside of sales so what's different this time?

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
DLC prices going up, several poor DLCs released in a row with little content and untested/disruptive balance implications + systems that don't do what they're supposed to do.

People are overreacting but the last several DLCs have been released in rapid succession and are not good, and the issues from previous releases haven't been addressed by the time the next one comes out. Basically not only have the last few DLCs not really been worthy of standalone releases, they also all arguably are making the game more broken and (for many people) less fun. Specifically the Ming expansion makes the entire region around Ming unfun to play and doesn't particularly make them more interesting themselves.

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jun 23, 2017

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

I Love You! posted:

DLC prices going up, several poor DLCs released in a row with little content and untested/disruptive balance implications + systems that don't do what they're supposed to do.

People are overreacting but the last several DLCs have been released in rapid succession and are not good, and the issues from previous releases haven't been addressed by the time the next one comes out. Basically not only have the last few DLCs not really been worthy of standalone releases, they also all arguably are making the game more broken and (for many people) less fun. Specifically the Ming expansion makes the entire region around Ming unfun to play and doesn't particularly make them more interesting themselves.

Yeah, three of the four last DLCs/patches have been pretty weak (Mare Nostrum, Mandate of Heaven, Third Rome). They still haven't really figured out what to do with sailors.

Didn't Wiz stop being the lead on DLC development at some point?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

snoremac posted:

Why is the game getting so much negative feedback on Steam lately? I vaguely understand it has something to with DLC prices, but the DLC prices have always been kinda lovely outside of sales so what's different this time?

They raised prices in certain regions.

That it.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Yeah, goon hyperbole aside I'm still not gonna pretend Mandate of Heaven is an A tier expansion, but the negative reviews for EU4 only started happening after the price hike.

They're revoking the hike incidentally, although I imagine bad reviews will still keep coming in for a few months yet

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Pellisworth posted:

Yeah, three of the four last DLCs/patches have been pretty weak (Mare Nostrum, Mandate of Heaven, Third Rome). They still haven't really figured out what to do with sailors.

Didn't Wiz stop being the lead on DLC development at some point?

Wiz is on Stellaris now, I think. Johann has been leading EU4 for at least a couple of DLCs.

Sailors are such a non-mechanic I'm amazed they don't just give up on it and devote that space on the interface to anything else.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
I used to think they could be better if they were balanced differently but... yeah they're just never gonna mesh with this game. Naval stuff needs a fundamental change for it to ever be relevant to that level.

Too Poetic
Nov 28, 2008

skasion posted:

Wiz is on Stellaris now, I think. Johann has been leading EU4 for at least a couple of DLCs.

Sailors are such a non-mechanic I'm amazed they don't just give up on it and devote that space on the interface to anything else.
Yeah Johann is on EU4. Has Wiz managed to make Stellaris any good? I felt like the game had potential but the combat was just so awful.

Koramei posted:

I used to think they could be better if they were balanced differently but... yeah they're just never gonna mesh with this game. Naval stuff needs a fundamental change for it to ever be relevant to that level.
If they can ever figure out good Naval AI that would be a huge game changer. It's too easy to really gently caress the AI up if you have a good Navy and a few strategic islands.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Navy in this game is just too much of an all or nothing affair for sailors to ever work toward any end. You either completely dominate your opponents at sea to the point where they never fight you, or you keep your ships at home, so the idea of them functioning like some sort of Manpower mechanic is just inherently flawed. Using them to limit new naval powers doesn't really model anything interesting, and they do absolutely nothing once you are larger, so they're 100% fluff that adds no real layer of strategy to the game, or even complexity, but is merely a hard stop the rare times you run into a shortage.

I feel like it would take incredibly complicated ocean/current/wind modeling to make ocean combat mechanics function anything like land combat's terrain/forts do and just the thought of that nightmare makes me feel sick

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Too Poetic posted:

Yeah Johann is on EU4. Has Wiz managed to make Stellaris any good? I felt like the game had potential but the combat was just so awful.

I haven't bothered to buy the DLC for it, but last time I played it was still quite bland. It's hard to stand out in field of space 4x games admittedly, but nothing about it encourages me to spend more money on it. It's less interesting to me than Endless Space 2, a game which literally CTDs every time I click the diplomacy button.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
To be perfectly blunt, I think the decline in DLC happiness is largely due to Wiz leaving to work on Stellaris, and DDRJake (who has zero previous game design/production experience) replacing him.

I feel like the amount of new content is pretty similar to previous DLCs/patches, but doesn't integrate into the larger game well at all.

I absolutely don't mean to diss DDRJake, but it's a simple fact that an experienced and talented Clausewitz-engine designer (Wiz) was moved to Stellaris and replaced by a game design rookie (DDRJake).

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Jun 23, 2017

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The first thing Johann put in when he took over was Mare Nostrum so yes, it was the beginning of a decline.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

My first come exploiting run has come to an end due to boredom. After 1650 all that's left is colonial nations and a few provinces owned by france / GB and it's a pain to conquer them while defending your massive unprotected lands.

So since I have third rome I am going to do a Russia run, any tips for the latest version?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

russia tip: turn mandate of heaven off

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

A lot of things have happened to me over my life.

TorakFade posted:

My first come exploiting run has come to an end due to boredom. After 1650 all that's left is colonial nations and a few provinces owned by france / GB and it's a pain to conquer them while defending your massive unprotected lands.

So since I have third rome I am going to do a Russia run, any tips for the latest version?

I avoided fighting any of the European powers at all by selling them provinces to force a colonial nation to spawn. It didn't make the last few decades interesting, but it did make them easy.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Jester Mcgee posted:

I avoided fighting any of the European powers at all by selling them provinces to force a colonial nation to spawn. It didn't make the last few decades interesting, but it did make them easy.

This is very smart, I can try that and I'll probably have it wrapped up by 1700. Except that loving Portugal has Bermuda and I can't even get a claim on it

oddium posted:

Thought about that but no macro diplo thing? I love that...

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

There are multiple layers of leads in software development and I am certain that Wiz and/or Johan said that Johan has always been the EU4 head/lead; Wiz was also a lead of some sort, just at a lower tier/level.

Jester Mcgee posted:

I did this in my game and it worked really well :hfive:

edit:

TorakFade posted:

I have gotten bored of my First Come First Serve / For Odin! run too.

I put a bit of effort into gaining control of the entirety of the Ivory Coast trade node, parts of the Seville node, and 95% of the Caribbean but an incredible amount of trade still gets pulled out of the Caribbean even with the three states that have CoTs in them, which are owned by the Merchant guilds, running the Protect Trade Edict, and me having 50 Light Ships there.

My AE in Europe is already at forming coalition levels. France is my 80+ trust ally that I will have to betray eventually for their portion of England. But even with them allied and me having an army of 150k, I still have nations joining a coalition against me and all I took recently was Dithsmarchen and two provinces from Denmark.

I guess maybe I need to change up my ideas (get rid of Expansion soon, take Economic or Admin) and wait for Admin efficiency.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Jun 23, 2017

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

oddium posted:

counterpoint: don't

you will be swimming in free colonies, streltsy and cossacks, and the only thing that makes the game interesting is that you at some point have to deal with the chinese.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Pellisworth posted:

To be perfectly blunt, I think the decline in DLC happiness is largely due to Wiz leaving to work on Stellaris, and DDRJake (who has zero previous game design/production experience) replacing him.

I feel like the amount of new content is pretty similar to previous DLCs/patches, but doesn't integrate into the larger game well at all.

I absolutely don't mean to diss DDRJake, but it's a simple fact that an experienced and talented Clausewitz-engine designer (Wiz) was moved to Stellaris and replaced by a game design rookie (DDRJake).

DDRJake didn't replace him, Johan did. Jake is a fairly low level member of the design team, iirc.

I'd generally say the sample size of '4' might be a bit low to judge the team without Wiz, especially considering that RoM is probably my favorite DLC so far, but yeah, they probably are having at least a little bit of trouble. I still say MoH isn't completely irredeemable/unsaveable.

AnoHito fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jun 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Thanks for the advice guys! After cutting down my army to 21,000 (I got a free unit from an event), Castille is now back in the green and I've paid off 3 of the 4 loans I'd taken.

• Locked thread