Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
I have to admit, I was very unconvinced until I read that source at the bottom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Gifs of metros from around the world, morphing to and from their geographical layout:

http://mymodernmet.com/animated-subway-maps/

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Hyperlynx posted:

Gifs of metros from around the world, morphing to and from their geographical layout:

http://mymodernmet.com/animated-subway-maps/

I'm Austin's embarrassing turd.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
That's pretty cool. Too bad no one's done Chicago.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

First laugh I've gotten out of xkcd in months.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Eh, the goatkcd version is still better.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

hooah posted:

That's pretty cool. Too bad no one's done Chicago.

Probably because it'll just look like a sphincter contracting.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Cross post from Auspol:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

Zenithe posted:

Cross post from Auspol:

I’m the two Australians of different population existing right NOW.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Remember when Mark Latham almost became PM?

EDIT: To help translate the graph further. "Sustainable" Australia is the one with just white people in it. "Big" Australia is the one filled with not-white people and therefore bad.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Australia would be even more sustainable if you kicked all the white people out too.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Is big Australia like big government or big capitalism?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Fathis Munk posted:

It's Africa, OP.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Fathis Munk posted:

Pay attention:

Gorilla Salad posted:

EDIT: To help translate the graph further. "Sustainable" Australia is the one with just white people in it. "Big" Australia is the one filled with not-white people and therefore bad.

Fruit Smoothies
Mar 28, 2004

The bat with a ZING

I want to understand this but what?!

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Fruit Smoothies posted:

Holy poo poo! What it’s saying is how rich is the median person of a generation compared to the previous generations at the same age. So ever since the boomers medium net worth has been on a downward trajectory And millennials now have a median 84% less wealth than other generations at their age.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Glazier posted:

Holy poo poo! What it’s saying is how rich is the median person of a generation compared to the previous generations at the same age. So ever since the boomers medium net worth has been on a downward trajectory And millennials now have a median 84% less wealth than other generations at their age.

Acacado toast :argh:

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Melbourne public transit map, 1910-1922.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Fruit Smoothies posted:

I'm the inverted x-axis hurtling backward through time.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Glazier posted:

Depending on what "physical wealth" is, it's probably a bit more than that.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
The formulation "as a proportion of the preceding cohorts wealth" indicates to me that we have 84% less than the previous generation, which has itself 48% less that its own previous generation. Indicating that each new generation has gotten poorer for a long time.

E: so we have 84% less than the the 81-85 generation, at the same age, but I guess its even worse when compared to the other generations.

Fathis Munk has a new favorite as of 15:00 on Jun 22, 2017

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Fruit Smoothies posted:

Will you link where it's from? Google image search isn't finding it for some reason.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Fathis Munk posted:

The formulation "as a proportion of the preceding cohorts wealth" indicates to me that we have 84% less than the previous generation, which has itself 48% less that its own previous generation. Indicating that each new generation has gotten poorer for a long time.

E: so we have 84% less than the the 81-85 generation, at the same age, but I guess its even worse when compared to the other generations.

Exactly, ever since the boomers generations have been getting poorer and poorer.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

pangstrom posted:

Will you link where it's from? Google image search isn't finding it for some reason.
Page 38 here: http://www.resolutionfoundation.org/app/uploads/2017/06/Wealth.pdf

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Thanks. The "at same age" affects things (since people are earning money later and later each generation, and for the recent -84% you're basically comparing very young families). Also it's for Great Britain which I didn't notice at first (though it has a GB at end of title). Still pretty shocking.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

That huge drop appears to mostly be because of lack of property wealth. Younger people either can't afford to buy property because prices are too high, or if they did buy property, values have not gone up. Older generations were able to buy cheaper property and then values have skyrocketed over the last couple of decades.

I also wonder if general health and lifespan increases has affected this a little bit. If our parents died earlier, then we would inherit their wealth sooner, inflating our net worth at an earlier age. Now, people are living decades longer some times, which means the younger generation has to wait longer for any inheritance (if there is an inheritance). Also, since the elderly are living longer, they are spending more of that money and passing less down to their kids.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Bird in a Blender posted:

That huge drop appears to mostly be because of lack of property wealth. Younger people either can't afford to buy property because prices are too high, or if they did buy property, values have not gone up. Older generations were able to buy cheaper property and then values have skyrocketed over the last couple of decades.

I also wonder if general health and lifespan increases has affected this a little bit. If our parents died earlier, then we would inherit their wealth sooner, inflating our net worth at an earlier age. Now, people are living decades longer some times, which means the younger generation has to wait longer for any inheritance (if there is an inheritance). Also, since the elderly are living longer, they are spending more of that money and passing less down to their kids.

It's the accumulation of wealth by very few individuals that started in an era where social mobility was still possible. It's not that boomers are well off, it's that the people who are well off happen to be boomers.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

ikanreed posted:

It's the accumulation of wealth by very few individuals that started in an era where social mobility was still possible. It's not that boomers are well off, it's that the people who are well off happen to be boomers.

Yeah, I imagine this graph would pair well with a graph of economic inequality over time (or like, it would if it was laid out in a way that made goddamn sense).

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out
It says median, not mean. C'mon this is supposed to be a nerdthread

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Fruit Smoothies posted:

Just outta curiosity I actually wanted to plot this using absolute values and not just variations, so I used 100 as my starting value of the very first cohort (for which the time-frame is unspecified)

E: wait, did I entirely misread how the graph is actually made? They say preceding cohort but does that mean they compare variation between n and n-1 each time as I understood it, or do they compare the current cohort directly to each previous one. I actually don't understand at all what exactly they did. Also why they are talking about the 2012-2014 cohort suddenly.

E2: also is the "preceding cohort" meant to be understood as time or as shown on the graph left to right. This graph could actually indicate that people have gotten richer and richer until the nineties :v:

Fathis Munk has a new favorite as of 13:18 on Jun 23, 2017

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Fathis Munk posted:

Just outta curiosity I actually wanted to plot this using absolute values and not just variations, so I used 100 as my starting value of the very first cohort (for which the time-frame is unspecified)

E: wait, did I entirely misread how the graph is actually made? They say preceding cohort but does that mean they compare variation between n and n-1 each time as I understood it, or do they compare the current cohort directly to each previous one. I actually don't understand at all what exactly they did. Also why they are talking about the 2012-2014 cohort suddenly.
How I understand it is that the 1986-90 (~1988) cohorot in 2012-14 (~2013), i.e. at the age of ~25, had 16% of median family total net wealth per adult of the 1981-85 (~1983) cohort in 2007-09, i.e. ~25 years later, i.e. 5 years preceding to the reference period for the latest cohort.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Yeah that's why I assumed too and it's what I graphed out.

But then I realised that the whole thing is really loving vague.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Fathis Munk posted:

Yeah that's why I assumed too and it's what I graphed out.

But then I realised that the whole thing is really loving vague.
Yeah, the graph has definitely found its home here.

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

:perfect:

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

So excited for the Adeptus Mechanus codex...

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Christ, I hate JavaScript

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Okay I get the rationale behind most of those, but how is the tab equal to zero? What's the story there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

mobby_6kl posted:

Okay I get the rationale behind most of those, but how is the tab equal to zero? What's the story there?

Horrific automatic type coercion from string to number.