Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

I'm so close to beating Crackdown, currently hunting for races and agility orbs to push myself that last 50% of the way to level 4 agility, because with that I can make the shortcut to Wang's Tower now that I know where I'm trying to hop to and only have a few floors to go. It just takes soooo long...

What? There is a human being who played Crackdown and didnt beeline level 4 agility before finishing the first set of gang members?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Have you seen the games he plays?

That boy ain't right.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Inzombiac posted:

I recall getting 100% in Crackdown and feeling very empty inside.

I got 101% in Donkey Kong 64. I felt disgusted with myself and how much time I'd wasted on that game.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Cythereal posted:

I got 101% in Donkey Kong 64. I felt disgusted with myself and how much time I'd wasted on that game.

I first played that game in college long after it came out and I had a serious debate on whether I should identify and then harass the son of a bitch that thought making you beat arcade Donkey Kong twice no continues.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Barudak posted:

What? There is a human being who played Crackdown and didnt beeline level 4 agility before finishing the first set of gang members?

I started out grabbing a few orbs and levelling a few combat skills, then the next session I took out half of Los Muertos, finished them the next day then later took out 3 of the Volk, then the same day I finished the Volk I took out a few Shai Gen. I was kinda on a roll, and figured I'd be able to platform in peace.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
STALKER: CALL OF PRIPYAT

The ultimate weapon, which is also related to plot progression, is a futuristic sniper rifle with extraordinary damage per shot. Naturally all the final battles after you unlock this weapon take place in cramped, enclosed spaces against jittery enemies that will easily dodge your sniper shots and munch on you before you can reload.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I'm 90% in Yakuza 5 and while it's certainly compelling there are parts which could have changed, compressed, or cut:
  • There's a sidequest where you meet a celebrity chef, who's a real-life person and probably a jerk because he charges eight bucks for a glass of water, and you take him to a restaurant three times where he teaches you a useful skill. This is copy-pasted five times as you have five separate characters.

• What's more boring is the VR machine where you a play side-scrolling beat-em-up which sounds fun but is incredibly sloppy. When you punch an enemy they tend to fly off-screen and you can hit them off-screen, making for a very boring spectacle. And like Donkey Kong 64 you have do this with every character.

• Random-encounters can be annoying, so you can get a useful accessory that removes them entirely. However only one character gets this item, in the first 20% of the game, and none of the other characters can use it until the last 5% of the game, which discourages doing a lot of side-content until then.

• There are hundreds of collectible locker keys, photo ops, and paper scraps that are easily missed and aren't mapped at all.

• The camera does not hold any change in the y-axis, it reverts the instant you stop pointing up or down. This is fine most of the time, but when you're hunting game on a mountain the camera thinks it's more important to look at the ground instead of the bear charging at you.

• The final boss is a surprise character who is supposed to be badass, but he never does get a moment to prove his credentials as you've kicked his rear end twice so far with little fanfare. You literally only fight him because the real villain is cancer-patient in a brawler-game.

• And seriously, gently caress that standup-comedy minigame.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 21:29 on Jun 19, 2017

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Barudak posted:

I first played that game in college long after it came out and I had a serious debate on whether I should identify and then harass the son of a bitch that thought making you beat arcade Donkey Kong twice no continues.

And endure the 20 second animation of Donkey pulling the lever every single attempt.

bucketybuck
Apr 8, 2012

steinrokkan posted:

STALKER: CALL OF PRIPYAT

The ultimate weapon, which is also related to plot progression, is a futuristic sniper rifle with extraordinary damage per shot. Naturally all the final battles after you unlock this weapon take place in cramped, enclosed spaces against jittery enemies that will easily dodge your sniper shots and munch on you before you can reload.

I recently played Call of Pripyat for the first time and was hugely disappointed with everything after getting to Pripyat itself.

I was really enjoying the game after how crappy Clear Sky had been and was looking forward to getting the calibration tools in Pripyat, and getting to play the game with fully upgraded guns and armour while seeing what will surely be the best area in the game...

Nope. A bunch of really boring and pointless military missions in the empty streets of Pripyat, every mystery is explained with the most boring and obvious explanation possible and then the game just ends. So disappointing!

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Morpheus posted:

I'm currently playing Kingdom Hearts Final Mix on the PS4, and while I like the game overall despite rough spots in its combat engine, I forgot how just absolutely terrible most of the worlds' level layouts are. Many are just a random series of connected rooms that have no spatial relationship to each other, making it ridiculously easy to get lost and turned around in. Monstro, for example, has a mouth, throat, stomach, and like 8 different chambers that are all interconnected in a maze and all named the same thing. Likewise, the Atlantica level has a number of exits from each room that connect to other rooms, but there's no real way to know what goes where or where it will come out from, or how to get to a specific room without memorizing which path takes you there. It can get frustrating as hell. Some of the worlds, like Traverse Town or Halloween Town have a much better laid-out map, but even then Halloween Town's final area is this big loving tower that you sort of have to bumble around on in a game that doesn't exactly have sterling platforming mechanics.

I remember playing it on release and thinking the worlds were pretty badly designed so I don't think it's even an artifact of its time, just bad.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

bucketybuck posted:

I recently played Call of Pripyat for the first time and was hugely disappointed with everything after getting to Pripyat itself.

I was really enjoying the game after how crappy Clear Sky had been and was looking forward to getting the calibration tools in Pripyat, and getting to play the game with fully upgraded guns and armour while seeing what will surely be the best area in the game...

Nope. A bunch of really boring and pointless military missions in the empty streets of Pripyat, every mystery is explained with the most boring and obvious explanation possible and then the game just ends. So disappointing!

It's very much a running theme for these games that they have no idea how to tell a story and have it end in a satisfying way.

Shadow of Chernobyl? At best you get a half-baked explanation of the Zone, otherwise you get a random nonsense cutscene that will make you confused.
Clear Sky? This game literally has no ending. The final level was obviously put together in a frantic rush to get the game done on schedule.
Call of Pripyat? There is a CRPG style ending with blurbs describing the fate of all factions and characters, but the main overarching plot remains where it was left off in the first game. You get more info on the backstory of a generic rifle than you get on any events pertaining to the Zone.

STALKER games are great at making worlds that are fun to explore and full of atmosphere, but they suck when you run out of side missions and have to deal with the main missions.

I was really looking forward to getting the calibration tools (which unlock the top tier of upgrades to equipment), but then it turned out that completing the game from the earliest point when you could get these upgrades barely involved any fighting at all. What a poor design. At least in Clear Sky I felt like a loving juggernaut walking through the final gauntlet with my fully upgraded HMG, cutting down waves of enemies with ridiculous ease. In Call of Pripyat I pretty much ended up fighting the same enemies I had been fighting since I left the first camp.

steinrokkan has a new favorite as of 23:12 on Jun 19, 2017

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Cythereal posted:

Donkey Kong 64 killed any interest in platform collect-a-thons for me. I'd beaten Banjo Kazooie and Tooie, but all those loving bananas with five different characters felt like an insulting waste of my time.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
I love Banjo kazooie/tooie, I thought I would love DK 64 too.
The rare charm is in there, but there's just so much poo poo.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I finally finished Arkham Origins so here's a complaint list about it:

-The concussion grenade is a terrible quickfire weapon because it makes enemies act unpredictably which is the last thing you want when you're fighting 20+ dudes at a time. It also steps on the toes of the series mainstay of the batgel (area of effect weapon that disables enemies for a short time)
-The big villain of the story turns out to be....the Joker, again.
-The final fight is against a big super-roided out Bane but it's really just a rip off of the Mr Freeze fight from Arkham City, just done much more poorly. Though I guess the whole game was just a poorly done rip off of Asylum and City.
-They even had freeze grenades that functioned IDENTICAL to the way they did in City, but they were callled 'glue grenades'.
-There is no survival map in the challenge mode (I think? Haven't unlocked them all yet but it doesn't seem like it)

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Away all Goats posted:

I finally finished Arkham Origins so here's a complaint list about it:

-The concussion grenade is a terrible quickfire weapon because it makes enemies act unpredictably which is the last thing you want when you're fighting 20+ dudes at a time. It also steps on the toes of the series mainstay of the batgel (area of effect weapon that disables enemies for a short time)
-The big villain of the story turns out to be....the Joker, again.
-The final fight is against a big super-roided out Bane but it's really just a rip off of the Mr Freeze fight from Arkham City, just done much more poorly. Though I guess the whole game was just a poorly done rip off of Asylum and City.
-They even had freeze grenades that functioned IDENTICAL to the way they did in City, but they were callled 'glue grenades'.
-There is no survival map in the challenge mode (I think? Haven't unlocked them all yet but it doesn't seem like it)

I love origins, but yeah, it's at least 40% garbage content, and lazily recycled gameplay mechanics. Still, maybe the best story and bosses over-all.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Origins had weirdly fun MP as well, Bane gang vs Joker gang while there's also a Batman and Robin on the map with their own win state as well.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
The Saboteur

- The gold sniper challenge is annoying to get
- If any car loses its luster once color returns to an area it's the Gestapo car with the mounted guns. It's got cool red accents to go with the overall black base color and all that fades away and makes it look like every other car in liberated areas.
- Is there fast travel in this game? I feel like I spend more time covering ground between objectives (I know, it's an open world game) than causing mayhem.
- It's weird that one mission has me go all the way to the boondocks and back has optional missions that require me to blow past security checkpoints and outrun alerts through Paris when the following story missions introduce checkpoint papers.

Away all Goats posted:

Arkham Origins

I think I stopped after the Slade fight because the game bugged out bad. It was mostly fun, but It's got that continuity issue where it's a prequel yet Batman has better gadgets and a more armored suit in his early years than in Asylum or City.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Action Tortoise posted:

The Saboteur

- The gold sniper challenge is annoying to get
- If any car loses its luster once color returns to an area it's the Gestapo car with the mounted guns. It's got cool red accents to go with the overall black base color and all that fades away and makes it look like every other car in liberated areas.
- Is there fast travel in this game? I feel like I spend more time covering ground between objectives (I know, it's an open world game) than causing mayhem.
- It's weird that one mission has me go all the way to the boondocks and back has optional missions that require me to blow past security checkpoints and outrun alerts through Paris when the following story missions introduce checkpoint papers.

I think I stopped after the Slade fight because the game bugged out bad. It was mostly fun, but It's got that continuity issue where it's a prequel yet Batman has better gadgets and a more armored suit in his early years than in Asylum or City.

Also Alfred gives that "you're not some hardened vigilante, you're an angry kid with a trust fund" speech as Batman is climbing into his custom built fighter jet.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Origins is the only Arkham game I've really enjoyed. :shrug:

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I've had Saint's Row 2 in my steam backlog for years but I never got into because of its piss-poor performance. I got a copy for the PS3, and it's still piss-poor. Was this game ever good?

Maybe it's the passage of the time but none of the side-stuff is terribly interesting: Clear out all strongholds, collect all collectibles, do every activity six times, it feels kind of sparse. I do like how they give a briefing cutscene to every mission though.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
Saints Row 2 is great in near all ways but performance wise, no, it sucks. a goon made a super good mod called Gentlemen of the Row which apparently fixes most of it.

Also that Arkham Origins multiplayer was so good, but so sparsely populated. It should be expanded upon and rereleased as a standalone.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

Sunswipe posted:

Origins just suffered because the series really needed a break from the Joker and the original pitch (8 assassins try to kill Batman in one night) was a really cool idea. A lot of people (myself included) got deflated when the twist happened. Plus, most of the assassins ended up not being that involved.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I'd kill for a videogame-adaptation of Joe Abercrombie's Best Served Cold. You try taking revenge on the seven dudes who wronged you while at the same time have to contend with your own treacherous band of killers.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Alexander Hamilton posted:

Origins just suffered because the series really needed a break from the Joker and the original pitch (8 assassins try to kill Batman in one night) was a really cool idea. A lot of people (myself included) got deflated when the twist happened. Plus, most of the assassins ended up not being that involved.

My opinion of it has actually gone up after Knight came out - once you're already in the mindset that the Arkham series is about Batman and the Joker, it locks into place pretty well.

But yeah, when you thought City put that to bed and Origins was gonna be something completely different, it was really disappointing.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I've had Saint's Row 2 in my steam backlog for years but I never got into because of its piss-poor performance. I got a copy for the PS3, and it's still piss-poor. Was this game ever good?

Yes and no. It always had some pretty big problems, but it also has a lot of great features. But in the years since it came out other games have also come out with many of those features, so going back to it now it's not going to be as clear why it made such an impact on some people. I still think it's a lot of fun, and the characters are great, but there's less reason to play it now because there are other games that share most of its good points and few of its bad.

And it's still way better than any of the GTA games.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Maybe it's the passage of the time but none of the side-stuff is terribly interesting: Clear out all strongholds, collect all collectibles, do every activity six times, it feels kind of sparse. I do like how they give a briefing cutscene to every mission though.

Everyone at this point is gonna tell you to play the game on PC with GOTR mod, whether it's for stability reasons or just for all the crazy poo poo it adds to the experience.

SR2 has the best city in all of the series. It's the right size for the amount of stuff you do in it and all the districts are distinct enough that you know whether you're at Greek Row or the trailer park or the drive-in. There's an underground mall that's way more dense than you'd expect from this kinda game. 3 and 4 have a better art style overall, but the city is very samey and I don't remember being able to go into any buildings that weren't your base.

Most people talk up about how the AI in the game will randomly fight with itself so you'll see a drive by go on between pimps and cops without your involvement and it gives the world more personality for doing that.

As for the story, it's absurd all the way down but it also gets pretty loving dark but in a good way. If you played SR3 and 4 and wonder how a gang full of clowns could be such a big deal and why the Boss or Johnny Gat are supposed to be cool, SR2 does a great job showing them as badasses. You can tackle the three gangs in any order you want and the cutscenes after each mission do a great job showing how all the violence escalates into sheer lunacy by the end of all 3 paths.

It's the best saints' row game in terms of being a fun GTA clone, but the visuals are ugly in this day and age and the controls date the game because it's still operating on face buttons for driving and clicking in the right stick to do precise aiming. melee combat is also overdeveloped and that kinda stays with the series until SR4. Also I've never really cared for the side activities in these games (except the COPS activity) until SR4 because the power creep in the game made all of the activities finally fun.

People want another saints' row in this style, but me personally i'd be fine if they remade SR2 with the art style of the later games so they have that polished, almost toy-like sheen to all the characters.

Sunswipe posted:

What Origins has over City is that the Batwing is a QoL improvement for fast travelling over the city and because there's no blocked off area in the game world like in City, you can cut through the area in a straight line as opposed to City's weird cresent-shaped map.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I think Origins has the best predator sections in the series. Interesting, almost playful layouts, more toys to mess around with (even if none of them are quite as effortlessly integrated as the bat speaker thing in Knight), and some fun gimmicks such as the penthouse pool area where Bane's men have booby-trapped everything.

At this point the only thing I really like about City is the melee combat, and even then Origins had the new enemy types (admittedly with the trade-off of screwing up the melee in general) and Knight expanded on things further in a satisfactory way.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 15:58 on Jun 22, 2017

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

The Saboteur's character progression system annoyed me because it's ostensibly tied into in-game achievements like killing X number of enemies a certain way or winning Y race but in practice it's mostly either locking things behind story progress or requiring you to go out of your way to grind or orchestrate improbable events like lining up two dudes to get a double headshot.

Also each level of skill has a bronze, silver, and gold level unlock but you have to unlock then in order so some skills will be bottlenecked at the bronze or silver level for most of the game when you've already achieved the later requirements.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

My only gripe with City, outside of the rubbish story, is that it takes place in a large play-pen but they never make it apparent when is a good time to go side-questing, given the urgency of the main plot. It's after you save Vicki Vale that you have the tools to tie up every little loose end before being locked in the endgame, but the game doesn't tell you that.

poo poo, I've finished it three times, I should've backed it up.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 16:40 on Jun 22, 2017

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Action Tortoise posted:

the controls date the game because it's still operating on face buttons for driving and clicking in the right stick to do precise aiming.

Are there any mods that adapt the control scheme of 3 or 4? I tried playing 2, but even with the GotR mod, I just couldn't deal with the controls.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Also Saint's Row 2 had the best clothing system in the series because it had layers. For a thing dragging games down: SR3 and SR4 didn't have layered clothing so there wasn't nearly as much opportunity for playing dressup

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I've played a few hours of Mad Max and it's boring and sucks and the odd fun part is done better somewhere else. It's the most derivative game I've ever played and it seems to be insanely long. The sandstorm bits are cool though

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I've played a few hours of Mad Max and it's boring and sucks and the odd fun part is done better somewhere else. It's the most derivative game I've ever played and it seems to be insanely long. The sandstorm bits are cool though

Turn the in-game music off and use this.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0DD7AFF2F861CA97

Olaf The Stout has a new favorite as of 18:01 on Jun 22, 2017

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Miitopia: is not out yet and the demo seems to only have one save slot. i really hope it has two or three at launch so that my brother can also play. if you have a physical and a digital copy of a game on the same 3ds, is it possible to use the cart for your save, and the digital version for your sibling's save?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
That was definitely my experience with Mad Max too. Seemed to be the worst part of an Ubisoft-style checklist simulator with a really shallow version of Arkham combat.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

BioEnchanted posted:

I'm so close to beating Crackdown, currently hunting for races and agility orbs to push myself that last 50% of the way to level 4 agility, because with that I can make the shortcut to Wang's Tower now that I know where I'm trying to hop to and only have a few floors to go. It just takes soooo long...

Not sure if you know this, but you don't have to just hunt down Agility orbs that spawn. If you kill dudes from high up you also generate them. I double dipped by tossing grenades off buildings to level explosives and jumping.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

The sandstorms are cool the very first time, then you realize theyre basically "stop doing whatever it is your doing and go back to a safehouse to continue playimg this game"

I do enjoy that its so pathetically easy that as someone who is gently caress awful at both racing games and Arkham combat Im able to beat it very easily.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Barudak posted:

"stop doing whatever it is your doing and go back to a safehouse to continue playimg this game"

That's not what you're supposed to do in the storms. They're when you get the major scrap hunting done.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

For sandstorms the best thing you can do is upgrade your repair speed, followed by armoring your car and always having water. Once you have max repair you can hunt for the scrapboxes in the storm, netting thousands of scrap relatively quickly. By the endgame you can't get enough storms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

RyokoTK posted:

That was definitely my experience with Mad Max too. Seemed to be the worst part of an Ubisoft-style checklist simulator with a really shallow version of Arkham combat.

It's Arkham combat with a character who is too slow and clunky to consistently dodge and counter attacks even when the player's timing is on point, which kind of defeats the entire purpose since Arkham is all about using agility and timing to control crowds of baddies and rack up crazy combos. I know some people praised it for making Max feel like a bruiser but it still sucked losing stronghold fights over and over because hits connected after you tried to dodge or the crummy targeting meant your single shotgun blast went into a random grunt instead of the war drummer you were pressing toward, even if that was the developer's intention there are games like Sleeping Dogs that adapted that combat system in a way that is actually responsive and fun to play while still more grounded and brutal and without crazy conicbook backflips and a dozen different gadgets and weapons.