Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Probably but we genuinely have no way of telling for sure
Buckethead the guitarist is way, WAY bigger - like 6'6". And American.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

coyo7e posted:

Buckethead the guitarist is way, WAY bigger - like 6'6". And American.

Lord Buckethead is way taller than 6'6, he probably has to duck to get through doorways

:v:

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Burkion posted:

Okay look, we let you guys have Boris, can we have Lord Buckethead?

I would be just fine with him as president.

I'd be fine with President Lord Buckethead right now.

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474 posted:

Lord Buckethead is different from the guitarist Buckethead, right?

I think they're like 3rd cousins, twice removed. :shrug:

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
I think the main thing we need to figure out is... well... if Lord Buckethead and Buckethead are different entities, which most scientists concur is most likely the case, then is mankind responsible, or is it the result of natural cycles related to containers and/or pail activity?

Moreover, how many bucketheads do we have to have before a critical mass is achieved and we're all, well, buying our lasers from Lord Buckethead?

tarlibone fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jun 14, 2017

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Probably but we genuinely have no way of telling for sure

For all we know he may also be Banksy.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

tarlibone posted:

I think the main thing we need to figure out is... well... if Lord Buckethead and Buckethead are different entities, which most scientists concur is most likely the case, then is mankind responsible, or is it the result of natural cycles related to containers and/or pail activity?

Moreover, how many bucketheads do we have to have before a critical mass is achieved and we're all, well, buying our lasers from Lord Buckethead?

Clearly, they're just from the same alien planet. One is an ambassador, the other is a cultural attaché, playing us the songs of their people.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Lord Buckethead could be just regular Buckethead with another bucket stacked on top, like so:

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

mobby_6kl posted:

Lord Buckethead could be just regular Buckethead with another bucket stacked on top, like so:

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

mobby_6kl posted:

I think Republicans and Democrats can all agree that the best thing in the world, and indeed the best thing for this country, is always having a surprise auxiliary bucket nested beneath your main head bucket.

That's the funniest thing I've seen in a while.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
RIP :(

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
It was great to see them get back to what they're best at: wacky mascot costumes :v:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

gently caress, Ryan Davis.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

That was a really great segment. I love that HBO refuses to be scared away by lawsuits, it really takes away one of the big tools of suppression of the media.

I loved hearing about the workers telling their boss to piss off. There's a thing that the conservatives really try to sell about caring about the corporations and executives being the same about caring for the workers, in some kind of feudalistic system, but that's not how it really is, workers aren't just serfs who have to defer to their lords. Too bad unions have fallen on hard times.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

I need to know what Robert E. Murray looked like before he was old. Anybody have pictures?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

pidan posted:

I need to know what Robert E. Murray looked like before he was old. Anybody have pictures?

Here you go.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So how long until someone finds John's head in a canal somewhere covered in a light dusting of coal? Those clips though, of the old fat guy just yelling about how it was totally and earth quake and not anyone's fault, without giving a poo poo about the employees trapped inside the mine was pretty hosed up.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

That was a really great segment. I love that HBO refuses to be scared away by lawsuits, it really takes away one of the big tools of suppression of the media.

Those lawsuit threats are frivolous though. You can tell anyone to C&D for anything to try to scare them off, but you're not actually going to win a suit against someone clearly exercising free speech. Ask Trumpler how his suit against Maher went.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Atomizer posted:

Those lawsuit threats are frivolous though. You can tell anyone to C&D for anything to try to scare them off, but you're not actually going to win a suit against someone clearly exercising free speech. Ask Trumpler how his suit against Maher went.

Also, HBO has a great legal team. they basically made that Scientology documentary with the lawyers reviewing everything and daring the "church" to sue them.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
More often than not though Murray's lawsuits make it past the summary judgement phase. They don't often make it past the appellate court but he throws enough money to make sure run a bit. The lawyers were definitely having Oliver be careful, he didn't even mention Murray's habit of firing salaried employees that don't donate a minimum amount of time and money to Republican candidates

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, aside from the Dr Evil joke be was clearly very careful to only accuse him of stuff he was reading directly off documents. And that's kind of the point. Oliver has jokes but he doesn't throw around baseless accusations. There's always research and quotes right there and he's just setting them up and puncuating them with a punchline.

Luckily Oliver's both good at his job and serious about being honest but also has HBO willing to back him (and almost certainly having a legal team double checking everything).

Which reminds me of a totally unrelated thing I wish one of these comedians would latch on to, how last week Alex Jones leaked audio of Megyn Kelly volunteering how blown away she was by NBC's legal department and dedication to not telling lies because Fox News didn't give a poo poo.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I'd not heard anything about M-K and A-J having pre-interview bloopers, so I'll have to check that out tomorrow, thanks for mentioning it

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Murray's habit of firing salaried employees that don't donate a minimum amount of time and money to Republican candidates

Wait are you loving kidding me, how is that even remotely legal

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
At will employment

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

coyo7e posted:

At will employment

aka Right to Work, aka gently caress everything, this country is trying to eat it's labor force.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

It's kinda depressing to see that working conditions for miners hasn't been that much improved since my great-great grandfather died of silicosis.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

webmeister posted:

Wait are you loving kidding me, how is that even remotely legal

Its not, but as long the stated reason why you are fired isa legal one, then it becomes costly and difficult to prove.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Alhazred posted:

It's kinda depressing to see that working conditions for miners hasn't been that much improved since my great-great grandfather died of silicosis.
That's why even people in mining communities don't literally want their grandfather's job back. They know it kills everybody in a like 100 mile radius

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

swickles posted:

Its not, but as long the stated reason why you are fired isa legal one, then it becomes costly and difficult to prove.

Also, Citizen's United opened the door for all sorts of loopholes that encourage this kind of behavior.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

The USA is a very, very, very bad place.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Doctor Reynolds posted:

The USA is a very, very, very bad place.

Don't worry it'll be great again shortly.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Jonas Albrecht posted:

aka Right to Work, aka gently caress everything, this country is trying to eat it's labor force.

Right to Work is specifically anti-union, and different from at-will employment. For some reason, they get confused all the time, and they're both lovely, but they're separate things.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

PT6A posted:

Right to Work is specifically anti-union, and different from at-will employment. For some reason, they get confused all the time, and they're both lovely, but they're separate things.

Yeah Right to Work basically prevents unions from charging union dues to non-union members in union workplaces. This might sound fair on paper, but the reality is that said non-union members still benefit from management concessions negotiated by the union. So what it actually does is weakens the union both by cutting their income, and incentivizing people not to join since they get all the benefits without paying.

At will employment just means that you can be fired without management having to give a reason, which limits employee ability to sue for wrongful termination, since there's no record of why they were terminated and thus it's just your word against theirs.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
They're both insanely great, deceptive messaging. It's diabolical.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Well, that was quick: http://www.thedailybeast.com/coal-king-sues-hbo-over-john-olivers-show?via=desktop&source=copyurl

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I hope he gets all 3 acorns out of this.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

SlothfulCobra posted:

I hope he gets all 3 acorns out of this.

and 18 cents

Gelf
Oct 1, 2005

Wake up and smell the psychosis!\

Eat poo poo Bob!

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

It's like they don't even realize what happens now. It's pretty drat hard to SLAPP a company as rich as HBO.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

“They did this to a man who needs a lung transplant, a man who does not expect to live to see the end of this case,” reads the complaint, which also lists Murray’s companies as plaintiffs.

I hope he drowns from the fluids in his lungs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I hope it's because of black lung.

• Locked thread