Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

CFox posted:

So I sold a 290 and got a 1070 in on Saturday and I'm already considering flipping the 1070 and getting a 1080. These Ebay sales are out of control. Anyone else on the crazy train with me?

If it covers the cost then hell yes whether you need it or not. Its not like the 1080 will suddenly drop in used market value like the 1070 will and its clearly a better card for gaming in every possible way

edit: though it would seem that unfortunately the 1070 price hikes have translated to "you wont be getting good deals on 1080's anytime soon" as well, but in your scenario it still applies

edit2: cough cough cough

http://pilot.search.dell.com/gtx%201070

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...x+1070&_sacat=0

get on flippin m8ys

1gnoirents fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jun 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

1gnoirents posted:

If it covers the cost then hell yes whether you need it or not. Its not like the 1080 will suddenly drop in used market value like the 1070 will and its clearly a better card for gaming in every possible way

edit: though it would seem that unfortunately the 1070 price hikes have translated to "you wont be getting good deals on 1080's anytime soon" as well, but in your scenario it still applies

edit2: cough cough cough

http://pilot.search.dell.com/gtx%201070

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...x+1070&_sacat=0

get on flippin m8ys

Nvidia webstore sells the 1070 for retail price and it in stock. What is wrong with people?

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Fauxtool posted:

Nvidia webstore sells the 1070 for retail price and it in stock. What is wrong with people?

Whatever do you mean....

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Bitcoins (and similar) have always been and will probably continue to be just fine to get involved with for free spare cash. Just don't get drawn into playing market games or buying mining farms. You can win big, but you can lose bigly.

And gambling is never too smart.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Fauxtool posted:

Holy poo poo thanks! I'm retarded. I priced out a system a month ago and was slowly buying the parts and this week I was going to grab a 1070 and it was 200 more, and I was like WTF.

I got to used to just using Amazon, assuming it was cheaper.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

LorneReams posted:

Holy poo poo thanks! I'm retarded. I priced out a system a month ago and was slowly buying the parts and this week I was going to grab a 1070 and it was 200 more, and I was like WTF.

I got to used to just using Amazon, assuming it was cheaper.

The downside is that the founders edition coolers kind of suck but it shouldn't be too big a deal on a 1070.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It sucks more for the 1080 and 1080 ti, its perfectly adequate for the 1070 and doesnt throttle

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Internet money is not valuable lol

I still think this is a temporary bubble so I'm not buying extra cards that I won't use for games or rendering, or even worse, mining rigs but it would be dumb not to try it at least,. Im up a 100 dollars in about 20 days of messing with buttcoins.

Just make sure you can cash out first before wasting electricity

As I wrote in the cryptocurrency OP, investing money into this bubble instead of working from existing hardware is a horrible and dumb idea because it is entirely likely the bubble will collapse before you break even.

If you have super cheap power and your work bought you four quadra cards and said "we don't care what you do with these" then go fuckin nuts. Same with if you bought a GTX 1080 Ti FTWTF OC Leet Edition Gaming X with your tax returns and discovered you can run it for pennies overnight for hashing power.

Just always remember: SA will make fun of you for being involved even a tiny bit in cryptocurrency. The cryptocurrenct thread will just only make fun of you if you invest into it.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Fruit Chewy posted:

The downside is that the founders edition coolers kind of suck but it shouldn't be too big a deal on a 1070.

The FE isn't a bad cooler, it's just not as good as the open-cooler cards. It'll still sustain max power limit even on a 1080 if you punch the speed up. And unlike most of the cheaper blower coolers (including AMD's ref blower) it doesn't sound like a hairdryer at higher fan speeds.

And yeah the lower down the stack you go, the better the FE does. With a 1060 (120W) there is hardly any need to even increase the fan speeds, the defaults work fine. A 1070 is probably similar.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jun 21, 2017

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Fauxtool posted:

I just bought an EVGA 1070 FTW for $450 today.

I'm tempted to put it on EBay because holy gently caress nerds are dumb.

I mean, I'm dumb for paying $450, but I see 1070s for 600+ WHEN THEY'RE IN STOCK ONLINE.

Goddamn.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Welp I just bought an FE from nvidia. I officially jumped in the retard pool. Worst case I'll lose a tiny bit of money, best case I gain a tiny bit of money! The possibilities are endless!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

tehinternet posted:

I mean, I'm dumb for paying $450, but I see 1070s for 600+ WHEN THEY'RE IN STOCK ONLINE.

Goddamn.

Jesus, mine was $515 CAD a month ago. And that's a good price at current.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

Paul MaudDib posted:

The FE isn't a bad cooler, it's just not as good as the open-cooler cards. It'll still sustain max power limit even on a 1080 if you punch the speed up. And unlike most of the cheaper blower coolers (including AMD's ref blower) it doesn't sound like a hairdryer at higher fan speeds.

And yeah the lower down the stack you go, the better the FE does. With a 1060 (120W) there is hardly any need to even increase the fan speeds, the defaults work fine. A 1070 is probably similar.

Yeah I mean my card before my 1070 and later 1080ti was a reference 980 and it was downright quiet for a blower. They're good blowers, but blowers they are.

tehinternet posted:

Goddamn.

Beware ebay fees. I've been flipping RX cards. If I sell a $250 card for $375, I pay like $50 in fees and $25 in shipping and only come out like $50 ahead for the effort.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
When this whole mess blows over and the cards get liquidated cheap, here's the most important question:

Is there any performance differences between 290Xes, 480s, 580s, and 1060s? There doesn't really seem to be.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Twerk from Home posted:

When this whole mess blows over and the cards get liquidated cheap, here's the most important question:

Is there any performance differences between 290Xes, 480s, 580s, and 1060s? There doesn't really seem to be.

They're all the same-ish performance class but there are some subtle differences.

The 580 is straight-up a 480 with a factory OC. The 290/290X are an older uarch that isn't as good with tessellation etc and it's falling behind in modern games somewhat because of this - but on average it's still 480-ish performance. The 1060 is much more power-efficient and just as fast, so if you have expensive electricity you definitely want the 1060.

Both the 1060 and RX 480/580 have models that come with half the normal memory (3 GB vs 6 GB, and 4 GB vs 8 GB) and are slightly slower. With the RX 480/580 it's just because of cheaper memory that clocks slower, but the 1060 actually has less cores. Overall you really do want at least 4 GB these days, the 1060 3 GB is not that great an option overall.

I don't think 4 GB vs 8 GB really makes a performance difference for the 290/290X and 390/390X like it does with RX 480s.

Also consider the 970/980 too, it's not quite as efficient as Pascal, DX12 support is not quite as good, etc but if you can get them cheaply enough they're fine for high- or ultra-1080p/low-end-1440p

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jun 21, 2017

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I was eyeing a 1080, saw one hit $420 (nice) but didn't pull the trigger because i figured Vega would launch and 1080s might get a price cut

well here we are months later, Vega still hasnt launched and the cheapest 1080 on Newegg is $520. i hate miners more than ever.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
thats on you though. Waiting never works because you are comparing something you dont have to something you might have when you should have just bought it at retail price when you wanted it and been enjoying it all this time.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
Just casually browsing GPU prices seem up all over the place.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
RX 570s and 580s came back into stock today. At massively inflated prices even for Europe. They're all sold out again. Even the 560s are affected, there's only one model in stock. gently caress this poo poo and gently caress the buttcoin miners.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
Well I did another repaste and dropped my temps by about 5-7 C so I must have done a poo poo job.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

B-Mac posted:

Well I did another repaste and dropped my temps by about 5-7 C so I must have done a poo poo job.

Did you put on enough? (serious question)

You absolutely do need to goober it up, too little thermal paste really sucks because there's no heatspreader, it's a bare die, so without paste part of the die is getting hotter than it should be.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

Did you put on enough? (serious question)

You absolutely do need to goober it up, too little thermal paste really sucks because there's no heatspreader, it's a bare die, so without paste part of the die is getting hotter than it should be.

Yea I did the typical CPU amount the first time and put about twice as much this second round. Makes sense since it is a bare die. Still think my case air flow is a bit bad so I will have to work on that. Save about 5 degree with the side panel off still. It seems like the SC cooler just dumps air right by the side fan slots and it is sitting there.

B-Mac fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jun 22, 2017

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

B-Mac posted:

Too much is never a problem. JayzTwoCent did a video where he filled the entire GPU die cavity with thermal paste and it performed the same as factory. It'll just almost be impossible to clean if you ever decide to. Only if the paste is metal based would it cause issues.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
I can't do butts on my card, so I can avoid another round of bubble.

The FE waterblock discussion from a page or so ago had me wondering - what's the upgrade cycle like when you've got a block on your GPU?

If I was going water I'd do a loop on both, but it seems like the GPU side just adds another $150 for the card that depreciates as fast/faster than the GPU itself. Is it just a game of staying on the 70/80/TI upgrade cycle and selling your old one + block to someone before the next gen comes out?

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
I live very close to a MicroCenter, someone tell me how to make literally hundreds of dollars for doing nothing (and I'm not talking about buttcoin) :effort:

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Nybble posted:

I live very close to a MicroCenter, someone tell me how to make literally hundreds of dollars for doing nothing (and I'm not talking about buttcoin) :effort:

You mean flipping the cards? I had to wait in line for the store to open twice to get one because they only get very limited shipments. My local MicroCenter sells RX 570s and 580s for like $210-220 and they can go for like double that on ebay. I was gonna keep coming back to get more but they now instituted a rule that you can only buy one card per month. That now applies to 1060s and 1070s even because I guess people were buying those out even though MicroCenter marks those up higher.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
When doing a GPU i always do the spread method, never did wrong.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

MaxxBot posted:

You mean flipping the cards? I had to wait in line for the store to open twice to get one because they only get very limited shipments. My local MicroCenter sells RX 570s and 580s for like $210-220 and they can go for like double that on ebay. I was gonna keep coming back to get more but they now instituted a rule that you can only buy one card per month. That now applies to 1060s and 1070s even because I guess people were buying those out even though MicroCenter marks those up higher.

Ah, okay. Yeah, the 1060s and 1070s are limited to two each at my store. Didn't look too far off online market, but was just quickly browsing while looking for laptops. But there were quite a few there...

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

I meam technically you can just pay with cash and give them new phone numbers if you dont literally come every day if you wanted. People have been doing that with cpus forever although they now price those closer to retail nowadays

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

1gnoirents posted:

I meam technically you can just pay with cash and give them new phone numbers if you dont literally come every day if you wanted. People have been doing that with cpus forever although they now price those closer to retail nowadays

Microcenter does not enforce purchase limits in their system, it's only if the cashier catches on then they can say something.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

B-Mac posted:

Yea I did the typical CPU amount the first time and put about twice as much this second round. Makes sense since it is a bare die. Still think my case air flow is a bit bad so I will have to work on that. Save about 5 degree with the side panel off still. It seems like the SC cooler just dumps air right by the side fan slots and it is sitting there.

To be honest I haven't heard that great stuff about the EVGA ACX 3.0 cooler on Pascal. It's not actively offensive but it's not really that great a cooler either. It's par for the course with other entry-level open coolers like the MSI Armor. If Pascal was a little hotter it would probably have a great deal of trouble.

Dunno if the ICX is actually any better in the cooling department either. Overall I'm really not pleased with this gen's cards, it's a return to triple-slot behemoths in the 1080 Ti bracket, the 1070/1080 efforts are phoned in, and the low-end cards are a gimmie. I feel like my old EVGA 980 Ti Classified was better engineered than 99% of the 10-series designs including EVGA's, at an equal TDP. The Zotac Amp Extreme is the only real standout in the 1080 Ti bracket IMO.

If you can afford it, once you get to the higher-end Pascal cards an AIO is actually one of the better value improvements for your money. Even a 1080 Ti will boost to 2075 or so if you keep it cool and turn the power limit way up, and the FE cards are really nice overclockers. A G10 is like $25 and a basic AIO is like $50-60. That's better cooling with a lot less cost than some of the super-premium triple-slot air cooled cards.

I would love to see NVIDIA do a liquid-cooled 1090/Titan ZP dual-1080-Ti card actually, too, but it would probably cost too much.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jun 22, 2017

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

1gnoirents posted:

Yeah I'll probably go back next week and hope the store manager doesn't recognize me.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Zero VGS posted:

Microcenter does not enforce purchase limits in their system, it's only if the cashier catches on then they can say something.

They do with cpus at least at mine (dallas). They go by the phone number at least though i have no clue how heavily its actually enforced tbf. I dont actually know if using a card matters

Also they could have just been lying to me

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I sold my RX 470 4GB to a guy whose history shows he's buying a whole bunch of GPUs, which at least makes me feel a little more confident he's not going to pull a scam because he'd have to pull quite a lot of them.

Sold for $370, though when you remove shipping and the eBay cut it'll be $325. Now the waiting game for $350 1070s. I get the feeling that what I'm supposed to do is buy a $400 model and then mine for $50, but I live in the loving desert spending $300/mo in the summer to achieve the desired temperatures indoors so I'm not going to do that.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

To be honest I haven't heard that great stuff about the EVGA ACX 3.0 cooler on Pascal. It's not actively offensive but it's not really that great a cooler either. It's par for the course with other entry-level open coolers like the MSI Armor. If Pascal was a little hotter it would probably have a great deal of trouble.

Dunno if the ICX is actually any better in the cooling department either. Overall I'm really not pleased with this gen's cards, it's a return to triple-slot behemoths in the 1080 Ti bracket, the 1070/1080 efforts are phoned in, and the low-end cards are a gimmie. I feel like my old EVGA 980 Ti Classified was better engineered than 99% of the 10-series designs including EVGA's, at an equal TDP. The Zotac Amp Extreme is the only real standout in the 1080 Ti bracket IMO.

If you can afford it, once you get to the higher-end Pascal cards an AIO is actually one of the better value improvements for your money. Even a 1080 Ti will boost to 2075 or so if you keep it cool and turn the power limit way up, and the FE cards are really nice overclockers. A G10 is like $25 and a basic AIO is like $50-60. That's better cooling with a lot less cost than some of the super-premium triple-slot air cooled cards.

I would love to see NVIDIA do a liquid-cooled 1090/Titan ZP dual-1080-Ti card actually, too, but it would probably cost too much.

The 1080 is much faster than my nitro fury but like you I am not very impressed with the cooling solution the SC has. The sapphire card was probably the best built card I have ever owned. Extremely quiet and it hardly cracked 70C under load.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

MSI marketing director: "I’ve seen the specs of Vega RX. It needs a drat lot of power."

:tif:

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
If you get an EVGA card you want to spend the extra for the FTW cooler. It has both bigger fans and a lot more metal to the heatsink.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

It was a given it's in the 300w range based on the professional facing cards. Even if they price aggressively, it's not going to be an attractive card for consumers.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I still don't see these prices when I check ebay in the uk, I mean R9 290's seem to be selling the same as a couple years back but that kinda doesn't seem worth it. 1070's don't seem to be going for massive amounts either, an Asus Strix one went for £290

What I'm saying is stop making me think about selling my 1070 and upgrade to a 1080ti

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
Right now the top 3 sold 1070 listings on ebay in the US are 510, 530, 700. They're generally selling for around $500 except for clueless people that list them for less.