Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
I'm so used to the idea of clip shows being parodied and discredited that I forgot some good series actually did them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I'm so used to the idea of clip shows being parodied and discredited that I forgot some good series actually did them.

Like, I get it, if I were a writer, I'd want a free paycheck and a week off too.

But really, you can skip this one. Move on to Season 3, where the show gets Actually Good on a consistent basis.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Wasn't that episode a clip show because of a writers strike?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

The cilps haven't started yet but it already feels kind of threadbare.

Whoa wait, Geordi is insisting on going back to the planet with Data, and he's like "how do we know this bug doesn't like androids better than humans"? There's so many things wrong with that question

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

WampaLord posted:

Like, I get it, if I were a writer, I'd want a free paycheck and a week off too.

But really, you can skip this one. Move on to Season 3, where the show gets Actually Good on a consistent basis.

Someone said Pulaski is only on for Season 2 though. Is this the last one with her?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Lol there's a weird lifelessness in the acting and plotting that's freaking me out a little

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Someone said Pulaski is only on for Season 2 though. Is this the last one with her?

Yea, I guess so, but she's in it for all of 3 minutes at most, I bet.

Veotax posted:

Okay, sure, but not all of em were, most were vacation weeks.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I might skip through the clips but I still feel like I have to watch this.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I might skip through the clips but I still feel like I have to watch this.

This feels like a thing Jeb! would actually do.

I'm talking about Jeb Bush here.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Aw I kind of like Riker's speech about facing death. Very in-character.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Fun fact: later, in season 4, the executives were pushing the crew to make another clip show because of budgeting reasons, but the crew hated the idea and resisted it. The result was the low budget bottle episode "The Drumhead," written specifically to avoid spending much money on constructing new sets or special effects. It ended up being one of the best episodes in the series.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Nitpicky but they didn't even try to make it look like the needles are really going into his head.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

If I had skipped the episode I wouldn't have seen this.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Lol I don't remember the first clip where he's clean-shaven and says "Tasha!? Data!? Worf!? ANYBODYYYYYYYY?"

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Oh, that Riker, drunk again!

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Wtf Data's makeup used to be completely different

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

This current series of clips is just all the times Riker's been horny.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

They don't give enough context to these clips to really understand them, and that's from someone who's seen all the episodes they were from within the last two months.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Lol the ending clip collage is like a youtube poop

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Whew even skimming that was a slog but it's over.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
data somethings got maaaaaaaaaaaaay

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Tighclops posted:

Lol

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Tighclops posted:

didn't he almost drown in a pool of Metamucil and toner for that scene

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Veotax posted:

Memory Alpha posted:

This episode was written to save time and money as a result of budget overruns earlier in the season. It was shot in only three days, while most take at least a week. Director Rob Bowman commented, "It was Paramount saying, 'We gave you more money for "Elementary, Dear Data" and the Borg show. Now do us a favor and give us a three-day show.' So that's what you do. It's an accepted part of the medium."

The plant itself was creepy and deserved a better episode. Plants that kill or trap large animals so they die nearby and fertilize the soil exist, and are pretty nightmare inducing.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Wtf Data's makeup used to be completely different

Data had a kind of sinister quality in the pilot that could have gone interesting places on a show that wasn't about the Buddy Bears Who Always Get Along.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

TheScott2K posted:

Data had a kind of sinister quality in the pilot that could have gone interesting places on a show that wasn't about the Buddy Bears Who Always Get Along.

It shows up veeeeeeeery occasionally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-FCYtxfDMw

As he's turning away jfc

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

After The War posted:

This episode was written to save time and money as a result of budget overruns earlier in the season. It was shot in only three days, while most take at least a week. Director Rob Bowman commented, "It was Paramount saying, 'We gave you more money for "Elementary, Dear Data" and the Borg show. Now do us a favor and give us a three-day show.' So that's what you do. It's an accepted part of the medium."

The network demanded another clip show later on, but the producers were like 'guys look, the last one was poo poo, let us just see if we can bang a regular episode out in three days with no effects or sets' and they made The Drumhead.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
I get that some people want the new show to be about the XO and not the CO, but it's not easy. The West Wing was supposed to be about Rob Lowe's character but morphed into an ensemble centered around Martin Sheen. If you want a whole series about Lower Decks, then it will have to be about relationships and drama, as all the action radiates from the bridge. Trying to edge out the captain of a ship in a show about a ship traveling in space would be hard.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

CharlieWhiskey posted:

I get that some people want the new show to be about the XO and not the CO, but it's not easy. The West Wing was supposed to be about Rob Lowe's character but morphed into an ensemble centered around Martin Sheen. If you want a whole series about Lower Decks, then it will have to be about relationships and drama, as all the action radiates from the bridge. Trying to edge out the captain of a ship in a show about a ship traveling in space would be hard.

Not if they give the XO a compelling enough hook into a larger story.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Veotax posted:

Only indirectly: the writer's strike ended in August 1988 and TNG S2 aired from November 1988 to July 1989. The strike meant that the season was shortened from 26 to 22 episodes, and there were basically no scripts ready when they started production (the first episode of season 2 was an old script originally written for the cancelled "Phase II" TV show).

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

TheScott2K posted:

Data trying to blast Kivas Fajo and then lying to Riker about it when he gets beamed away at the last second is one of the most badass things he ever did.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

MikeJF posted:

The network demanded another clip show later on, but the producers were like 'guys look, the last one was poo poo, let us just see if we can bang a regular episode out in three days with no effects or sets' and they made The Drumhead.

It's funny that "Measure of a Man", which I'd imagine was even cheaper than "The Drumhead" (that one has an explosion!), still wasn't enough to offset the cost of "Elementary, Dear Data" and "Q, Who." Maybe Maddox and Louvois were expensive, or it wasn't made with cost-cutting in mind the way "The Drumhead" was. I only ever hear about budget in regards to "Shades of Gray" and those two expensive stories, so if anybody knows more, I'd love to know.

shadok posted:

Only indirectly: the writer's strike ended in August 1988 and TNG S2 aired from November 1988 to July 1989. The strike meant that the season was shortened from 26 to 22 episodes, and there were basically no scripts ready when they started production (the first episode of season 2 was an old script originally written for the cancelled "Phase II" TV show).

"Measure of a Man" was also the result of the strike and the need to use existing, even unsolicited scripts - Melinda Snodgrass went from slushpile to story editor for the second and third seasons.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

CharlieWhiskey posted:

The West Wing was supposed to be about Rob Lowe's character but morphed into an ensemble centered around Martin Sheen.

This gets repeated a lot but I don't believe The West Wing ever could have flown with Sam Seaborn as the main character even without Martin Sheen stealing every scene he's in. Over the course of the first few seasons the show gravitates toward Josh more than Sam because Josh has agency and gets things done politically while Sam is just a mouthpiece for the show's bleeding liberal heart. (Also, the opening plotline for Sam was such a non-starter. Dude is boring and has no flaws. The show doesn't miss him when he leaves.)

Coming back to topic, a Trek show centered around the XO and/or science officer could work because the XO is the one gets poo poo done. They lead away teams, manage the crew, and generally enact the will of the Captain. TNG could easily have been that; it's not outside the realm of possibility.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
That short period between Rob Lowe leaving and Sorkin burning out really didn't suffer one bit for lack of Sam. poo poo, even in the pilot Sam's plot was garbage compared to Josh's. Josh had a problem of his own making that he, as a control freak, couldn't solve. It told you everything you needed to know about him, the world they inhabited, and about the President. Sam's plot was basically "this dude gets so much pussy hookers give it to him FOR FREE!" and that's it.

West Wing and Star Trek have a lot in common.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Lol I don't remember the first clip where he's clean-shaven and says "Tasha!? Data!? Worf!? ANYBODYYYYYYYY?"

Isn't that from the episode when they tried to make the Ferengi seem menacing by giving them energy whips? The only reason I remember that awful episode is because of "The Greatest Generation," the whips, and that weird dialogue about the "Yankee traders."

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
I wish I could find footage of the first ferengi appearance on Youtube. They're such loving spazzes (the writers probably don't know what to do with them) and they can't stop jumping around and it actually plays into the episode at the end.

edit: scratch that, found it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4gtPUP5H6o

vermin fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jun 22, 2017

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Cojawfee posted:

CBS: We tried, but it looks like no one is interested in a new Star Trek TV show, the ratings just aren't there.
Netflix: Actually, we found it to be very successful. If you don't want to make any more, we'd be happy to pay to make it our-
CBS: NO ONE WANTS STAR TREK I GUESS

Well as we saw with Person of Interest, it's not beyond CBS to kill off something popular for their own stupid financial interest. They didn't want to continue running it since it wasn't produced in-house but they didn't want a competitor to get it either. So they didn't renew it, waited until the end of the spring season to run it out 2 episodes a week and then announced it was cancelled.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

After The War posted:

It's funny that "Measure of a Man", which I'd imagine was even cheaper than "The Drumhead" (that one has an explosion!), still wasn't enough to offset the cost of "Elementary, Dear Data" and "Q, Who." Maybe Maddox and Louvois were expensive, or it wasn't made with cost-cutting in mind the way "The Drumhead" was. I only ever hear about budget in regards to "Shades of Gray" and those two expensive stories, so if anybody knows more, I'd love to know.

The second episode of season 2 "Where Silence Has Lease" has no new sets and is shot almost entirely on the bridge set, so they were able to cut pre-production time and get shooting quickly after the strike.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Zurui posted:

Coming back to topic, a Trek show centered around the XO and/or science officer could work because the XO is the one gets poo poo done. They lead away teams, manage the crew, and generally enact the will of the Captain. TNG could easily have been that; it's not outside the realm of possibility.

In other words, they can do everything the captain can do, except for actually decide what should happen in the plot of the episode.

I seriously, seriously doubt that the protagonist is going to go a whole season without having been in command. To tell the truth I'd be a little surprised if she's not in command by the end of the premiere. It would be a daring choice to make a Star Trek show about someone who isn't a captain, but I have no idea why any network would sign off on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

shadok posted:

The second episode of season 2 "Where Silence Has Lease" has no new sets and is shot almost entirely on the bridge set, so they were able to cut pre-production time and get shooting quickly after the strike.

I hope they what budget they had went to Eye-Bugging-Brain-Melty Helmsman. He was so good.