Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

biracial bear for uncut posted:

What would be the best power supply to use to avoid power issues being the problem? A lot of the popular "kits" on Amazon still come with the plug originally used on the Pi1 kit.

I use these guys on our printers, powering them directly from the printer's power supply so that everything is self-contained.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

What would be the best power supply to use to avoid power issues being the problem? A lot of the popular "kits" on Amazon still come with the plug originally used on the Pi1 kit.

The official adapter is probably best tested

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

ickna posted:

I'll pull the log when I get home later. It shouldn't be the power supply, I have a 2.5a one; but I am also running the official 7in display on it. I think I'll try it again with a new pi that runs a headless console-only raspbian and compile OctoPrint from source. I really hope it was a Pi issue and not the printer. OctoPrint is a cool bit of kit, especially the live gcode viewer.

For purposes of a controlled test doing a DIY setup seems like it's guaranteed to add new variables to the equation. The OctoPi distribution works fine and by using it you know you're running the same binaries as a lot of the rest of us so any problems not specific to your exact hardware should be widely replicable.

ickna
May 19, 2004

wolrah posted:

For purposes of a controlled test doing a DIY setup seems like it's guaranteed to add new variables to the equation. The OctoPi distribution works fine and by using it you know you're running the same binaries as a lot of the rest of us so any problems not specific to your exact hardware should be widely replicable.

Do you mean the pre-compiled SD image? Somebody else upthread mentioned it was less reliable than compiling from source. Though I am willing to try it first for the sake of controlling variables.

foosel
Apr 2, 2010

ickna posted:

Do you mean the pre-compiled SD image? Somebody else upthread mentioned it was less reliable than compiling from source.

At least I am not aware of any stability issues (if I was I'd work with Guy (the image maintainer) to remove them) and it is indeed the best way to create a reproducible environment to help narrow down problems.

With regards to solid power supplies, anything that puts out a steady 5V with 2A for Pi2, 2.5 to 3A for Pi3 (yes, there's quite some safety margin in there, but better err on the side of caution, brown out issues are horrible). Your random phone charger or cheap PSU off eBay probably doesn't. Personally I've recently discovered "Goobay 71899" for myself (around 8EUR off Amazon), but no idea about good options outside of Germany.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

foosel posted:

3A for Pi3 (yes, there's quite some safety margin in there, but better err on the side of caution, brown out issues are horrible). Your random phone charger or cheap PSU off eBay probably doesn't. Personally I've recently discovered "Goobay 71899" for myself (around 8EUR off Amazon), but no idea about good options outside of Germany.

Maybe something like this one?

https://www.amazon.com/standard-adaptor-External-Adapter-positive/dp/B01DPCPAQS

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

For the Pi 3 I've had good luck with the Canakit 2.5A micro USB adapters they sell with their raspberry pi 3 kits. The first one I got didn't work at all but they two day shipped me a replacement that's been solid. I set another one up for my father as a media server and it's been using the same adapter.
https://smile.amazon.com/CanaKit-Raspberry-Supply-Adapter-Charger/dp/B00MARDJZ4/

I'm still using a RPi model B for Octoprint and it's been fine. I posted about it a couple of weeks ago and I found that even a 1.5A rated phone charger wasn't enough to handle the Pi and the Logitech C270 webcam. It would run Octoprint and just never be able to display from the webcam. Switching to a 2.5A adapter sorted those issues out.

foosel
Apr 2, 2010

Maybe, maybe not. The problem with these things is that just because the manufacturer writes 5V, 3A on it doesn't meant it will actually hold the 5V of voltage or reliably deliver the advertised current over time. From what I have seen, it really is very much hit and miss sadly :(

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

foosel posted:

Maybe, maybe not. The problem with these things is that just because the manufacturer writes 5V, 3A on it doesn't meant it will actually hold the 5V of voltage or reliably deliver the advertised current over time. From what I have seen, it really is very much hit and miss sadly :(
Then go a supply like this which would only be at 50% its rated load.
https://www.amazon.com/KNACRO-Switching-100V-240V-Interface-Surveillance/dp/B01M7UEPCT

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
I've found that the biggest problem with powering the Pi isn't the power rating of the adapter itself, but the voltage drop on the cable. Doesn't matter if you have a 10A 5V power supply if it has a 6ft cord with 26AWG wires in it (which will drop ~0.5V at 1A). For 1A power draw at 6ft the adapter needs a minimum of 22AWG wire to keep the Pi from triggering low voltage mode. Most 5V power supplies have 24AWG for 1A if they're good, or have wires labeled as 24AWG if they're Chinacheap. Neither of these will work without throttling / brownouts.

The best thing to do is wire your printer's 12V power supply to a 5V buck converter module right by the Pi. I get a bunch of "mini buck converter" from eBay (at a cost of like 50 cents each) and just wire those inline and put a piece of heatshrink around them. I'd recommend the regular "buck converter" (at about a buck each) though because they already have integrated capacitors. I usually add my own capacitors because I have a ton of them.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Anyone here have any experience with the laser engraver kits? Thought I'd ask here since it's kinda close to building a 3d printer kit.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

There's probably a lot of cross experience but there's also a thread for that:
Fire, electrocution, and blindness may result: Chinese laser adventures

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Anyone here have any experience with the laser engraver kits? Thought I'd ask here since it's kinda close to building a 3d printer kit.

It's actually a far cry from it because laser engravers are a poo poo ton more dangerous if you do something wrong.

Worst case with a 3d printer is it doesn't work. A laser engraver can explode and kill you (or kill you if you touch it while power is connected) if you do something wrong.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

It's actually a far cry from it because laser engravers are a poo poo ton more dangerous if you do something wrong.

Worst case with a 3d printer is it doesn't work burns your house down killing your family. A laser engraver can explode and kill you (or kill you if you touch it while power is connected) if you do something wrong.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
The only time a 3d printer will burn down your house is if you fill the room it's in with flammable aerosol or otherwise put it near things that will easily ignite.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
3D printers have burned down plenty of houses. You can't combine cheap electronics and heating elements and NOT kill a few people the world over.

Laser engravers make literal burning and smoke, though, and are like 100x more likely to cause a fire.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
They might be asking about those solid state laser diode based ones, which are lower power but with like zero safety interlocks or even shielding from the beam. Or exhaust for that matter.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009

The only time a 3d printer will burn down your house is if you fill the room it's in with flammable aerosol or otherwise put it near things that will easily ignite.

Like magicians flash paper.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Rapulum_Dei posted:

Like magicians flash paper.

I shouldn't insulate the heat bed with that stuff?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

3D printers have burned down plenty of houses.
Just a reminder, these two statements are not conflicting.

There are a LOT of idiots with 3D printers.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Welp, here is a wish list 3d printer/design that someone needs to figure out how to copy legally in an open-source way:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/814534542/blackbelt-3d-printer

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Welp, here is a wish list 3d printer/design that someone needs to figure out how to copy legally in an open-source way:

Here you go: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4056

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

The only patents on it are the conveyor bed material, an adjustable print angle and the software they use to warp the g code to actually print things at an angle like that and still be the right shape.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

My Prusa finally shipped. Little word of warning for others waiting on an order, wait time is more like 9 weeks now.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Luminaflare posted:

The only patents on it are the conveyor bed material, an adjustable print angle and the software they use to warp the g code to actually print things at an angle like that and still be the right shape.

I'll need to watch the video later but I am interested how that warping can permit things to hang mid air like this image from their site.

I need a shot or two to get a buzz going before I can withstand the apple flavor of smugness in that video.

Also Presaydent Oh-BAYH-mah

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

EVIL Gibson posted:

I'll need to watch the video later but I am interested how that warping can permit things to hang mid air like this image from their site.

I need a shot or two to get a buzz going before I can withstand the apple flavor of smugness in that video.

Also Presaydent Oh-BAYH-mah

X & Z are basically on an angle relative to the Y bed if you think of it as a modified i3, with the hotend tilted to compensate for the axis tilt.

So it's basically bridging after it prints the main left-hand body of the sketch you posted, all it really does is change the angle where unsupported bridging can work.

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW
Justice is bald, like an eagle, or Lady Liberty's docket.

I need a hand.

I've been printing on my Makergear M2 for many years with much success. I almost always print in PLA these days because it's easier and I don't have an enclosure for ABS.

In the last... two weeks? Every print I have been producing has been massively curling off the bed. Way, way more than ever before. The biggest changed variable I can see is that I swapped my brass nozzles out for stainless steel ones, because it seemed like the SS nozzles would hold up better to some of the filaments I wanted to use. I am using the exact same print and slicing settings, same temperature, same brand(s) of PLA as before, nothing else seems too different.

Examples:

This is nightmarish. I don't know what's up. I print the PLA at 215, bed at 70 degrees C, sprayed with hairspray. Never had issues like this before. In fact, I've printed the exact part pictured above without much issue.

Any ideas? Is the changed nozzle really that big a deal?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Do you live somewhere where it got hot and you recently turned on the air conditioning that has a vent that blows near your printer? I recently had bad PLA warping off the heated bed when I unintentionally had more fan air blowing onto the bed. It only took a little piece of plastic to block it and prevent the warping and peeling.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
I bought a cheap Chinese makerbot clone, then an unproven e3d bigbox Kickstarter and the only printer that keeps jamming is the goddamn Taz 6 that the company paid for.

It's almost like heat creep or something is snagging in the hotened during retractions but it's so random I can't relaibly replicate the issue to troubleshoot.

Anyone have a taz6 who can post their PLA settings to see if I'm missing anything obvious?

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW

Rexxed posted:

Do you live somewhere where it got hot and you recently turned on the air conditioning that has a vent that blows near your printer? I recently had bad PLA warping off the heated bed when I unintentionally had more fan air blowing onto the bed. It only took a little piece of plastic to block it and prevent the warping and peeling.

There's an AC in the printer room, but not really blowing at the printer. I tried putting a cardboard box around the printer and it solved nothing.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Harvey Baldman posted:

I need a hand.

I've been printing on my Makergear M2 for many years with much success. I almost always print in PLA these days because it's easier and I don't have an enclosure for ABS.

In the last... two weeks? Every print I have been producing has been massively curling off the bed. Way, way more than ever before. The biggest changed variable I can see is that I swapped my brass nozzles out for stainless steel ones, because it seemed like the SS nozzles would hold up better to some of the filaments I wanted to use. I am using the exact same print and slicing settings, same temperature, same brand(s) of PLA as before, nothing else seems too different.

Examples:

This is nightmarish. I don't know what's up. I print the PLA at 215, bed at 70 degrees C, sprayed with hairspray. Never had issues like this before. In fact, I've printed the exact part pictured above without much issue.

Crapshoot but is this the exact same batch and colour of PLA as before?

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Harvey Baldman posted:

70C seems hot for a PLA print. PLAs glass transition temperature is about 60, I never exceed 55. Worth a shot.

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW

Megabound posted:

70C seems hot for a PLA print. PLAs glass transition temperature is about 60, I never exceed 55. Worth a shot.

I will try this.

tuyop posted:

Crapshoot but is this the exact same batch and colour of PLA as before?

It is. Dark Grey Push Plastic PLA. It is (was?) my favorite.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Megabound posted:

Yeah I had a lot of adhesion problems with a red and just kept jacking up my bed temperature until 75C and it never got better, then I lowered the z offset and slowed the initial layer and went down to 60C and it was all solved.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Maybe try a different filament roll (of the same material)? It sounds like all the usual suspects have already been ruled out, maybe it's a bad batch.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I've got to drive the Prusa i3 five hours this week and I don't want to take it all apart. I saw this tweet from Josef Prusa hisself https://twitter.com/josefprusa/status/738738151649333248?lang=en

But nobody ever responded with where to get the models. Where do you get those models?

mewse
May 2, 2006

tuyop posted:

I've got to drive the Prusa i3 five hours this week and I don't want to take it all apart. I saw this tweet from Josef Prusa hisself https://twitter.com/josefprusa/status/738738151649333248?lang=en

But nobody ever responded with where to get the models. Where do you get those models?

Looks like this zip:

https://shop.prusa3d.com/forum/original-prusa-i3-mk2-f23/where-is-the-y-motor-stabilizer-stl--t2017.html#p15907

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Anyone have a good guide on calibration for part fitting? I know of this, but it is hard to follow and is designed for Skeinforge. I want something easier and more open ended.

Edit: I may have fixed this by setting extrusion multiplier to 0.9. But now my top surfaces have little holes in them.

Revol fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jun 25, 2017

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Does anyone else have to change z offset when printing with PETG? Same layer height, won't stick unless I use -.6 when -.3 works with PLA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Revol posted:

Anyone have a good guide on calibration for part fitting? I know of this, but it is hard to follow and is designed for Skeinforge. I want something easier and more open ended.

Edit: I may have fixed this by setting extrusion multiplier to 0.9. But now my top surfaces have little holes in them.

Don't change your extrusion multiplier to alter part dimensions -- that is designed for tweaking flow rate when you don't have precisely measured filament diameter/extruder gearing. Dropping it down significantly (10% is a lot) may shrink the outer edges of the part because there literally isn't enough plastic to squeeze out to the intended width, but the fundamental problem is that the positioning code isn't properly accounting for the actual width of the trace that's being put down.

So if your parts aren't fitting in X and Y dimensions, look at your trace widths; if they aren't fitting in Z, check your z-system accuracy and improve part cooling.

Or just print a test part and then make adjustments to the next print accordingly. I use 0.5mm of tolerance between printed parts for a slip-fit, 0.2mm for a jam-fit.

Or break out the files and sandpaper. Nothing elbow grease can't fix.