Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
The IRS issued guidance on crytpocurrency back in 2014. Check out IRS notice 2014-21 and please file your taxes correctly. https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-drop/n-14-21.pdf

especially relevant bit:

quote:

Q-8: Does a taxpayer who “mines” virtual currency (for example, uses computer
resources to validate Bitcoin transactions and maintain the public Bitcoin
transaction ledger) realize gross income upon receipt of the virtual currency
resulting from those activities?
A-8: Yes, when a taxpayer successfully “mines” virtual currency, the fair market value
of the virtual currency as of the date of receipt is includible in gross income. See
Publication 525, Taxable and Nontaxable Income, for more information on taxable
income.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
At time of receipt ???? Lol

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

And I assume that's why you mine and sell instead of mine and hold

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Rastor posted:

And I assume that's why you mine and sell instead of mine and hold

it's mostly because of this

https://twitter.com/StockTwits/status/877621142734778368

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Paul MaudDib posted:

Yeah, Seti and F@H and tons of other projects can use GPUs and there is a standard "BOINC" platform to let researchers queue up tasks.

Someone even made a FoldingCoin that distributes rewards based on F@H results, although it's not really worth anything it might help offset some of the power you spend.

Gridcoin uses the BOINC platform. I am running this CPU mining for fun on my miner. it does gpu and asics too but im too busy mining other crap with my GPUs.
http://www.gridcoin.us/

Stealthgerbil fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jun 22, 2017

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
does your bitcoin address change after a deposit? I noticed that my address on coinbase is different from the address on the computer I havent touched for a week at work. I know for a fact that my work and home pcs were using the same address at one point because I could check my stats on nicehash and it showed 2 workers. About the time I got my first deposit "check my stats online" on the nicehash miner would take me to a different address being mined into on my work pc compared to the home pc.

Its definitely the address I was paid at last week, but its not the same address that shows on my coinbase account. When i installed the dual mining fork I copy pasted the address from coinbase which is now somehow different from the one that I was paid at last week

The other thing I can think of is that maybe coinbase gives you a new address if you cash out completely?

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jun 22, 2017

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

Fauxtool posted:

does your bitcoin address change after a deposit? I noticed that my address on coinbase is different from the address on the computer I havent touched for a week at work. I know for a fact that my work and home pcs were using the same address at one point because I could check my stats on nicehash and it showed 2 workers. About the time I got my first deposit "check my stats online" on the nicehash miner would take me to a different address being mined into on my work pc compared to the home pc.

Its definitely the address I was paid at last week, but its not the same address that shows on my coinbase account. When i installed the dual mining fork I copy pasted the address from coinbase which is now somehow different from the one that I was paid at last week

The other thing I can think of is that maybe coinbase gives you a new address if you cash out completely?

I think in general you shouldn't be mining into coinbase deposit addresses but rather into a personal wallet which you can later send poo poo to coinbase/etc from if you so desire.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Fauxtool posted:

I think its this, sounds like youre fine

https://support.coinbase.com/customer/en/portal/articles/2276500

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fruit Chewy posted:

I think in general you shouldn't be mining into coinbase deposit addresses but rather into a personal wallet which you can later send poo poo to coinbase/etc from if you so desire.

where do i get a personal wallet not part of an exchange or marketplace?

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Fauxtool posted:

where do i get a personal wallet not part of an exchange or marketplace?
There are many Bitcoin wallets

https://bitcoin.org/en/choose-your-wallet

Try Electrum.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Re: Ethereum crash from 350 to 13 USD

LOL 😂

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Would it be worth buying some cheap usb asic to mine a lot of lovely alt coins for fun? Are there even poo poo alt coins that I can get large numbers of? I kind of want to mine up a bunch of whatever new gimmick coins comes out. I regret not mining things when I heard about them.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Re: Ethereum crash from 350 to 13 USD

LOL 😂

Its back up. Its because i started the cancel order process. Ill try to buy locally with a funny hat on maybe i wont crash the market again

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Stealthgerbil posted:

Would it be worth buying some cheap usb asic to mine a lot of lovely alt coins for fun? Are there even poo poo alt coins that I can get large numbers of? I kind of want to mine up a bunch of whatever new gimmick coins comes out. I regret not mining things when I heard about them.

No, because most of the gimmick alt coins are deliberately designed to not work with buttcoin ASIC miners. If they could still mine they would still be mining something.

Get a GPU for the games you want to play, maybe let some idiots offset your purchase price some. Whatever you do, avoid the following conversation with yourself: "Hey, look, some poop. I'm just going to pick it up and take a good smell of it. Whoof, that's some smelly poop. I think I should take a good roll around in it."

If electronics fascinate you maybe buy an FPGA eval kit. At least it can be turned into something useful (knowledge).

Whitest Russian
Nov 23, 2013
Do you need to OC and mine with closed source miners to consistently make over $5/day? I'm averaging a 4.5 rate with a stock 1070.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
you probably need to gently caress with bios and memory clocks which is kinda hosed for me since it seems that even a cursory over clock for me (like +50) makes my card unstable to oh well.

Otakufag
Aug 23, 2004

Whitest Russian posted:

Do you need to OC and mine with closed source miners to consistently make over $5/day? I'm averaging a 4.5 rate with a stock 1070.

Yes, this. I'm afraid of destroying my 1070 but want to mine faster, is it recommended to overclock the memory or something? What about better mining sources/nicehash settings specifically for this card?

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Harik posted:

No, because most of the gimmick alt coins are deliberately designed to not work with buttcoin ASIC miners. If they could still mine they would still be mining something.

Get a GPU for the games you want to play, maybe let some idiots offset your purchase price some. Whatever you do, avoid the following conversation with yourself: "Hey, look, some poop. I'm just going to pick it up and take a good smell of it. Whoof, that's some smelly poop. I think I should take a good roll around in it."

If electronics fascinate you maybe buy an FPGA eval kit. At least it can be turned into something useful (knowledge).

Ok fair enough. I was mostly thinking of getting an asic for gridcoins because I love the concept of them. they have a bunch of asic tasks to do. However it sounds like I should just buy some gridcoins instead.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

Otakufag posted:

Yes, this. I'm afraid of destroying my 1070 but want to mine faster, is it recommended to overclock the memory or something? What about better mining sources/nicehash settings specifically for this card?

Depends on the algorithm but a lot of them do scale really heavily on memory clock. I can push a 1080ti from 30MH/s to 37MH/s on ethereum by pushing the memory clock up. Mining will also often work fine at higher clocks than would be stable in a full 3d application.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Otakufag posted:

Yeah memory OC is definitely the easiest way to boost Nicehash performance, especially in Equihash and Dagger it seems to make a big difference and those are both algorithms that the 1070 often runs. Make sure you're running that modified version of nicehash with ewbf as well.

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jun 22, 2017

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

MaxxBot posted:

Make sure you're running that modified version of nicehash with ewbf as well.
am i supposed to run it without benchmarking it? the benchmark wouldn't ever validate

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

am i supposed to run it without benchmarking it? the benchmark wouldn't ever validate

It was doing some weird stuff for me as well, there's one of the benchmarks that would fail to run and I had to hit cancel to just skip it and start mining but it must not have been an important one because all of the algorithms seem to run fine.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Man, my return is crap. On windows 10 with a 1070, what version of nicehash/ what drivers should I be running? I'm only at like $4.75 a day right now.

I'm also putting my EVGA SC on Craigslist for $500 so this is just burrito money.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

Lockback posted:

Man, my return is crap. On windows 10 with a 1070, what version of nicehash/ what drivers should I be running? I'm only at like $4.75 a day right now.

I'm also putting my EVGA SC on Craigslist for $500 so this is just burrito money.

I'm no expert but that doesn't seem bad. I'm about $6.50 a day on a 1080

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
How hard is it to sell your​ cards without losing out on fees or PayPal fraud?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

metallicaeg posted:

I'm no expert but that doesn't seem bad. I'm about $6.50 a day on a 1080

Calculator was telling me 6-something before, but now it's only at 5.40. I'm still like 20% below the calculator, and I thought there were some problems with certain drivers or Windows 10.

Maybe I'm just greedy.

PerrineClostermann posted:

Fees are going to be steep regardless. Craigslist is usually pretty good if you're in/near a city though, meet in person and only accept cash or a MO.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

PerrineClostermann posted:

Craigslist.

Selling to miners might be risky since they only want it for a small period of time and have 180 days to do a paypal dispute.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
4.50 is normal on a 1070. $6-7 was last week. Its going to keep going down because bitcoin is inherently bad and dumb. Make sure you stop before your electricity costs are higher than your mining profit.

I am getting about 5.50 with overclocked memory on my 1070 and I configured the dual mining fork posted earlier to average 1.85 mBTC/day. Sometimes it spikes to $6.00

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jun 22, 2017

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Mine's still $6-7. :smuggo:

...Canadian :canada:

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Fauxtool posted:

4.50 is normal on a 1070. $6-7 was last week. Its going to keep going down because bitcoin is inherently bad and dumb. Make sure you stop before your electricity costs are higher than your mining profit.

Ok, I guess the hype is dying quickly then. Still holding out hope I can flip my GPU on Craigslist.

I included links to the mining calculator and everything.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

close your browser and any open windows first. Did you try running in precise mode? That worked for me when it wouldnt bench properly

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Lockback posted:

Ok, I guess the hype is dying quickly then. Still holding out hope I can flip my GPU on Craigslist.

I included links to the mining calculator and everything.

Actually the more the hype grows the more people mine the higher the difficulty the lower the value

You lose either way.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

and with that, gently caress selling anything else on ebay ever

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
since you seem to be so good at acquiring cards, can you get me a 580 8gb for personal use? I want one for an actual build but heck no to the prices online. I dont mind paying some to make it worth your while

Otakufag
Aug 23, 2004
Anyone else having problems connecting to nicehash miner?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
do you mean when you first load the program and it tries to update? You can download the updates directly from github

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Just because it was sitting there I downloaded nicehash onto a budget gaming pc i have in my shop with a 1050 in it. It has swelled my wallet by $1.15 since yesterday!

dedian
Sep 2, 2011
I was having problems using San Jose, a few miners wouldn't connect to their servers - switched to Amsterdam for the time being and everything's been fine

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

Fauxtool posted:

since you seem to be so good at acquiring cards, can you get me a 580 8gb for personal use? I want one for an actual build but heck no to the prices online. I dont mind paying some to make it worth your while

Honestly just sit around with nowinstock.net browser alerts turned on and your credit card saved to your newegg account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

dedian posted:

I was having problems using San Jose, a few miners wouldn't connect to their servers - switched to Amsterdam for the time being and everything's been fine

Same, and on a maybe-related note the nicehash stats site is currently down for maintenance.

• Locked thread