Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

As a general rule, it's "anything with an edge or a point", right? (Moonring Blade, you stupid corner case)

Blood Sword can't be thrown, I'm pretty sure the Man-Eater can't, and I'm not sure on Defender. Bows arguably have points (on the arrows) but you can't chuck 'em.

As a general rule it works, but there are exceptions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

KataraniSword posted:

Your problem is mostly in that you lack offensive muscle; Beastmaster is good for utility but not a real powerhouse (aside from one-and-done !Catches), !Spellblade is absurd but Mystic Knight itself has only barely-above-Freelancer levels of Strength to attack with and is stuck with normal swords even as the game shifts to prioritizing Knight Swords and Katanas. In the latter half of W2 up until you get Holy and Flare, your entire offense is going to come from Chicken Dances.

On the flipside, you should concievably never die as soon as you get to Regole and get Shell.

Excalibur, Holy Lance, Sasuke's Katana (which the Ninja should be using if he's not Twin-Chicken), Rune Axe (which the Zerk should be handling), Masamune, Assassin's Dagger (which is too nice to throw away except on the final boss if the Ninja isn't using it).

In other words, anything with a blade, plus the spear.

Cool. Chicken Knife is still powering up so I am using Sasuke's Katana for now. By the way, does Ninja's dual wield let you use the katana as well? Thinking of giving the Sasuke's Katana to the Zerker while he has the Rune Axe in the other hand once I get the Chicken Knife full power.

By the way, is there any use to the curse ring like the FFVI version, or it just vendor trash? I am tired of it auto equipping anytime I change a skill out.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Rirse posted:

Cool. Chicken Knife is still powering up so I am using Sasuke's Katana for now. By the way, does Ninja's dual wield let you use the katana as well? Thinking of giving the Sasuke's Katana to the Zerker while he has the Rune Axe in the other hand once I get the Chicken Knife full power.

By the way, is there any use to the curse ring like the FFVI version, or it just vendor trash? I am tired of it auto equipping anytime I change a skill out.

Sadly, only Ninjas (and Freelancers) can use Ninja Knives, and only Thieves and Ninjas (and Freelancers) can use Thief Weapons (the throwing rings and Twin Lance). There's no skill that lets you equip them.

That said, you should have no problem busting through Fork Tower (and you'd want to anyway, for Holy), so go to Istory Falls and pick up the Titan Axe for your Zerky to offhand with the Rune if you're two-fisting axes. (Alternately, give them !White 6 to boost the Rune Axe's damage and strap an Aegis Shield to them. Both options have merit.)

Cursed Ring (and, outside of niche setups, Bone Mail and Thornlet) have no way to remove their negative effects. They give boatloads of stats to compensate, but it's generally not enough. Chuck it.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jun 22, 2017

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

This should not have taken me over an hour to get.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Rirse posted:

Vendor trash.

(also, pedantically, the Cursed Ring had no use whatsoever, you're thinking of the Shield that would uncurse after 255 battles)

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Vendor trash.

(also, pedantically, the Cursed Ring had no use whatsoever, you're thinking of the Shield that would uncurse after 255 battles)

That right it the Paladin Shield in 6. Curse Ring in 6 is vendor trash there as well.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Rirse posted:

That right it the Paladin Shield in 6. Curse Ring in 6 is vendor trash there as well.

The Curse Ring can actually be pretty useful. You start the battle with the Condemned count down, which heals you to full HP when it triggers if you're also wearing the Relic Ring. It also teaches the X-Zone spell at a good rate.

FF6 just has such a high power-ceiling (especially with relics) that being restored to full every battle just isn't notable.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Okay FFVFriends, help me with some Matrix version Omniscient theorycrafting. My party is Ranger and three Berserkers, so I'd really like to get to Istory. My Fork Tower plan is as follows:

-Two Zerks fight Minotaur, they do a lot of damage and have shields and capes for blocking, they should be okay with some lucky hits

-One Zerk goes with Ranger Faris. Zerk has Equip Bows, uses the Magic Bow and a Reflect Ring and then the heaviest armor I have (Bone Mail and something else, I guess). Faris has a fully-powered Chicken Knife, Hermes Sandals, Twist Headband, and Power Sash to max Strength. She's set up to Rapid Fire.

-I let the Zerk attack and hope for a Silence proc, then immediately Rapid Fire twice. I think she'll get two off before the Silence ends--I did this last year with Krile as a Zeninaging Thief and she was fast enough at a lower level. Then, I think Faris will be able to get a third Rapid Fire in before the Zerk attacks again, and that should kill him. I'm doing 1500 per hit to 0 def targets, which I think he is, so that's 1500 x 4 x 3.

Yes? No?

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Any naming schemes still going on, or that will be on for a while? Gotta find a proper name for buttz

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Just read that the Mage Masher has the same proc rate of Silence as the Magic Bow, so I'll use that instead since not having Equip Bows will make him slower and I should definitely get three attacks off.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

The Magic Bow just baffles me. I initially thought its lack of attack power was a bug, but given that none of the re-releases bothered to fix it, I suppose it has to be intentional.

Rirse posted:

It'd be a pretty sweet accessory if you didn't get Hermes Sandals ten minutes after you find it.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Okay, I'm only doing 750 per hit so I guess he doesn't have 0 def? I don't know how this can happen if I can't at least get him below 4000. Is his script totally random until then?

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

OzFactor posted:

Okay, I'm only doing 750 per hit so I guess he doesn't have 0 def? I don't know how this can happen if I can't at least get him below 4000. Is his script totally random until then?

It's possibly that Rugwizard, like LiquidFlame, is permanently in the back row in the Mobile version, because this version of the game hates you.

Besides, doesn't !RapidFire ignore defense anyway?

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
I don't suppose the Air Knife would be any better? I know RugWizard has a weakness to Wind but it might not be enough to make up for the Chicken Knife's ridiculous attack power.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

agradine posted:

I don't suppose the Air Knife would be any better? I know RugWizard has a weakness to Wind but it might not be enough to make up for the Chicken Knife's ridiculous attack power.

Tried that, only does 250. I can't believe he's in the loving back row. This is some bullshit.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

OzFactor posted:

Tried that, only does 250. I can't believe he's in the loving back row. This is some bullshit.

Looks like you're going to need at least two, if not three, Berserker silence procs to stick in a row. Don't know the odds on that. It's possible that it would be less onerous to nab the Artemis Bow and extra Aegis Shields as steals in the Rift.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I almost feel like just thief knifing more Aegises and ignoring the drat Titan Axe would be a better use of your time.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Hitting even one Silence proc and timing the follow-up attack in the ridiculously short window you get is a pain in the dick (I think it took me 10 solid minutes). gently caress Matrix, don't do it, man.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

OzFactor posted:

He has innate Protect status. Even with Rapid Fire reducing his Defense to 0, he still takes half damage from all physical attacks.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
I tried for a while to go at him with just the Ranger, waiting for him to bounce Silences and Stops onto himself. I don't think I was making any headway, even with the occasional Bio to fight the Regen. He just doesn't cast either of those three spells often enough. gently caress it, I guess.

So then, weapons for the Berserkers for NED? I am sort of thinking the Ranger is never going to get to attack, being on item duty. CK and Rune Axe, I guess, but what about the third? Yoichi Bow, Hayate Bow, Thor's Hammer, Gaia Hammer? You'd think I wouldn't have so many options, but I actually do.

HOLD UP WAIT A SECOND how much damage can I expect to do to the Rugfucker if I blast through the lamp? Holding an Air Knife for Syldra boost?

edit: that motherfucker

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

OzFactor posted:

HOLD UP WAIT A SECOND how much damage can I expect to do to the Rugfucker if I blast through the lamp? Holding an Air Knife for Syldra boost?

edit: that motherfucker

Yeah the react script is based off of the command you select, not the nature of the attack. Don't know if that's true in other versions, but Matrix doesn't want physical-only FJF teams to beat Rugwizard.

As for weapon options, I think I'd go with Thor's Hammer. Having at least one 'zerker in the back row will help reduce some of the physical damage you''ll take. That'll hopefully, in theory, free up more turns for the Ranger to attack, and they're going to want to soften up that 3rd NED target and limit the number of Meteors you'll have to face tank. It might even be worthwhile for the third Zerk to wield the Hayate Bow and spread the damage around a bit (I don't think Gaia's Hammer's Quake procs will help as much).

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Finished my first run of the year, probably taking a break until sometime in July. Too late for the Basch incentive sadly.

Quick leak and Zeninage are silly as hell.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
I'm trying to work out whether it would be better to save the lamp for the end, since my Berserkers will go in order: Physical, then Almagest, then Grand Cross. I know I'm going to need to be able to take up to three Almagests, but I really don't know if I should be counting on surviving more than a small handful of Grand Crosses. There's just too many statuses that can take the Ranger out.

If I lamp the back piece right off, I narrow the Rapid Fire targets, but I'm just not sure how often she'll be attacking. I guess I'd be okay for a few rounds, but I'd have to switch to full-on healing mode when Almagest is coming. And God help me if the Grand Cross piece is the last one left. The Hayate Bow will probably help, but that means no shield.

If I save the lamp, I can end the rage timer, but only if she's still alive at that point, and that's going to be quite a few lucky Grand Crosses.

Either way, it's grinding time! Again.

edit: Do status effect chances work like weapon procs? They don't cast spells so they don't have to contend with m-evade, right? How hard is it to blind the physical piece with a Dark Bow?

OzFactor fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jun 22, 2017

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

OzFactor posted:

I'm trying to work out whether it would be better to save the lamp for the end, since my Berserkers will go in order: Physical, then Almagest, then Grand Cross. I know I'm going to need to be able to take up to three Almagests, but I really don't know if I should be counting on surviving more than a small handful of Grand Crosses. There's just too many statuses that can take the Ranger out.

If I lamp the back piece right off, I narrow the Rapid Fire targets, but I'm just not sure how often she'll be attacking. I guess I'd be okay for a few rounds, but I'd have to switch to full-on healing mode when Almagest is coming. And God help me if the Grand Cross piece is the last one left. The Hayate Bow will probably help, but that means no shield.

If I save the lamp, I can end the rage timer, but only if she's still alive at that point, and that's going to be quite a few lucky Grand Crosses.

Either way, it's grinding time! Again.

I have to ask why you didn't switch versions a long time ago. It would probably be faster to emulate the whole game from the start on the SNES and underflow earth hammers than grind enough to win like this.

Edit: My first run this year was also 3xzerk and a ranger and I had fun with it because I had underflow and stuff.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Thanks to Lurdiak, I'm discovering a whole new meaning to the game.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

StarMinstrel posted:

Thanks to Lurdiak, I'm discovering a whole new meaning to the game.

Passion, the essence of A Butt...

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

OzFactor posted:

edit: Do status effect chances work like weapon procs? They don't cast spells so they don't have to contend with m-evade, right? How hard is it to blind the physical piece with a Dark Bow?

That is correct; if the effect procs, and the target is susceptible, it sticks. The Dark Bow is really good at nailing the physical piece.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Do you mean the whole long string of nonsense when you try to drag the image to the URL bar? That happens when you try to go to the image before it's fully loaded. Give it a few seconds and you directly link it just fine. If you mean something else, then :shrug:
lol

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

WilliamAnderson posted:

Finished my first run of the year, probably taking a break until sometime in July. Too late for the Basch incentive sadly.

Quick leak and Zeninage are silly as hell.

That's $10 more.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Company does something lame in search of profit, stops when customers complain.

Same old, same old.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Company does something lame in search of profit, stops when customers complain.

Same old, same old.

Oh they're not gonna stop. Imgur's been getting steadily worse for well over a year now.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

Oh they're not gonna stop. Imgur's been getting steadily worse for well over a year now.

I don't imagine the amount of people using imgur and also not using an ad blocker is very big. Gotta make a profit somehow I guess.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Any tips for a Red/White/Geo(/Chemist but that's the incapacitated Lenna and I have Mix learned on everyone already anyway) team heading into the Pyramid? Should I be worried, should I just brave it? I already aced the Gargoyles with Sleep Blade+Poison on both, but the rest of the dungeon is long and filled with stuff I may need, so I don't want to be underpowered for it.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Alxprit posted:

Any tips for a Red/White/Geo(/Chemist but that's the incapacitated Lenna and I have Mix learned on everyone already anyway) team heading into the Pyramid? Should I be worried, should I just brave it? I already aced the Gargoyles with Sleep Blade+Poison on both, but the rest of the dungeon is long and filled with stuff I may need, so I don't want to be underpowered for it.

Make your Red your Chemist until you get Lenna back.

Got mix? Doesn't matter, Red's just that bad.

Alternatively, "also extremely bad class" Geomancer into Chemist.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Kyrosiris posted:

That is correct; if the effect procs, and the target is susceptible, it sticks. The Dark Bow is really good at nailing the physical piece.

It's similarly good at nailing a very angry Shinryu. Ranger + a rod/staff using class is basically a free Shinryu kill.

Keep in mind that's only for the Dark Bow, Killer Bow, and maybe the (anti-)Magic/Rune Bow? Things like the Mage Masher and Death Sickle have actual spell procs (Silence and Death, respectively) that respect M-Ev.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jun 23, 2017

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Lurdiak posted:

Eh, screw it. :toxx: Everyone who clears the game with the name "a butt" will trigger a 2 dollar donation from me, up to a maximum of 70 bucks(it'd be more but the exchange rate is murder).

I also just donated :10bux: to add some zerkers to the pool. :getin:

ultrafilter posted:

What the hell, I'll make a pledge too. The general consensus is that the most overpowered jobs are Blue Mage/Mystic Knight/Bard/Chemist, so let's see what y'all can do without them. I'll throw in $10 for every goon who triple crowns with none of those jobs. No upper limit, but that's every goon, not every run.

Done, and done! No Brave Blade for this team, sadly.

Team: Red Mage / Dancer / White Mage / Knight

Not too shabby. Dancers wreck face with the Strength boost from Equip Swords, and of course Dualcast White Magic is awesome. I had pretty bad luck with Sword Dances but I still managed.

Omega gave me some trouble, but after some grinding and enough attempts I beat him down with Coral Sword Dance spam. It was a fun time!

Might even do a second run this year for once, though I've got enough on my plate for now that it'll probably be a while.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

FYI for anyone wondering why I'm not donating as people clear the "a butt" challenge, I wanted to avoid transaction fees so I sent the lump sum to paypal and it's taking significantly longer than I planned to clear. I'll catch up next monday, so keep those butts rolling in!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Mega64 posted:

Done, and done!

Counted. So far I've got derra, Mega64, Nethertribes and WilliamAnderson. Did I miss anyone?

Dwall
Jun 14, 2016
Another Brave Blade for the pile.

That's it for this year, I promise! (Unless Gilgabot gives me a Freelancer, or another Knight)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Mega64 posted:

Done, and done! No Brave Blade for this team, sadly.

Team: Red Mage / Dancer / White Mage / Knight

Not too shabby. Dancers wreck face with the Strength boost from Equip Swords, and of course Dualcast White Magic is awesome. I had pretty bad luck with Sword Dances but I still managed.

Omega gave me some trouble, but after some grinding and enough attempts I beat him down with Coral Sword Dance spam. It was a fun time!

Might even do a second run this year for once, though I've got enough on my plate for now that it'll probably be a while.

Hi five for the Dancer / White kill! Those are always satisfying.

• Locked thread