Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
$10k reward if you can get my 15 bitcoins back

quote:

I am owed 15 bitcoins by Igot.com, who have now relaunched as Bitlio.com. I had three pending withdrawals with Igot.com but they never paid up and have locked my account. The 'owner' Rick Day has fallen off the face of the planet. I have his phone number, his brothers, and his dads. They hide out in India mostly from what I can gather. None of them answer my calls anymore. The terms have been updated to be based in Hong Kong so it is hard to fight them from a legal standpoint in countries like Australia. Every government agency has given me the run around and just pass the buck. So here I am offering $10k reward for any lawyer who will take the case or anyone who can get my bitcoins back. Any info on Rick Day, Anshuman Dayma, Vijay Dayma would be greatly appreciated. Stop these crooks who continue to scam people to this day. Cheers guys. EDIT: PS I don't want anyone getting hurt, just want my coins back :) More info @ http://www.igotnocoin.com/home.html

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/6id1ut/10k_reward_if_you_can_get_my_15_bitcoins_back/

The top comment:

quote:

Will this finally be the first anonymous, decentralized headhunter bounty paid out? 10k USD is a lot of money. In India, this is a fortune. I cetainly wouldn't sleep well with a 10k bounty on my back in a low-income country like India..

Currency of the futuuuuuuuuuuuuure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Since my electricity bill is a flat rate rolled into my standard rent, I figured I would run NiceHash and make a few bucks while I was at work. Seemed to be working alright, but I had set up my wallet on Coinbase. And now I find out you can't actually sell your bitcoins on Coinbase in Canada. Oh well.

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

https://coinatmradar.com/operators/

The vast, VAST majority of them are "buy only" of course :saddowns:

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/6id1ut/10k_reward_if_you_can_get_my_15_bitcoins_back/

The top comment:

If you do a bunch of work to take 15 coins from someone, I'll give you 5! Surely you wouldn't keep them for yourself

I hope that the price plummets, someone gives him 15 coins worth a ton less, then takes him to court for mail fraud if he won't pay out the 10k in AcutuaMoney

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

Sentient Data posted:

If you do a bunch of work to take 15 coins from someone, I'll give you 5! Surely you wouldn't keep them for yourself

I hope that the price plummets, someone gives him 15 coins worth a ton less, then takes him to court for mail fraud if he won't pay out the 10k in AcutuaMoney

gently caress, you might have just convinced me that it's possible to make money from bitcoin!

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

gently caress, you might have just convinced me that it's possible to make money from bitcoin!

It was always possible to make money on Bitcoin. Just not on Bitcoin itself (cf. selling shovels during a gold rush).

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

mojo1701a posted:

It was always possible to make money on Bitcoin. Just not on Bitcoin itself (cf. selling shovels during a gold rush).

And in Bitcoin, the shovel sellers are crooks too!

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

The top comment:

I'm no detective but I think Rick Day is a pseudonym :allears:

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

I never said it was honest money.

Also, I'd like to thank y'all. I got a question right at trivia last night: which now shut-down web site was started by someone known as "Dread Pirate Roberts"? or something like that.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

mojo1701a posted:

I never said it was honest money.

Also, I'd like to thank y'all. I got a question right at trivia last night: which now shut-down web site was started by someone known as "Dread Pirate Roberts"? or something like that.

<< smashes buzzer >>

the Silk Road!!

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

a cyberpunk goose posted:

<< smashes buzzer >>

the Silk Road!!

I entertained my trivia team with the story of Ross and how running an illicit drug website with multiple deaths attached to it and hiring people to kill someone was totally a victimless crime.

They also laughed out loud when I told them about aliaces.txt and log.txt.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

mojo1701a posted:

They also laughed out loud when I told them about aliaces.txt and log.txt.

Link to explanation?

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

1redflag posted:

Link to explanation?

the file that vicious buttcoin sneer culturists refer to as "mycrimes.txt", but whose actual title was "log.txt".

to summarise: Ross Ulbricht literally kept a diary of his Silk Road activities on his laptop. The one he ran the site from. The one he used at coffee shops and at a library. The one a pile of feds snatched off him when they arrested him. The one that was basically the motherlode of Silk Road evidence, in a nice little bundle with a bow on top.

"I imagine that someday I may have a story written about my life, and it would be good to have a detailed account of it," he wrote in January 2012.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Basically a prosecutor's wet dream, then?

FAGGY CLAUSE
Apr 9, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Wow bitcoin is up to 2700. I knew I should've gotten in earlier, I can't not get involved at these prices. Anyone know where to get some used miners?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

FAGGY CLAUSE posted:

Wow bitcoin is up to 2700. I knew I should've gotten in earlier, I can't not get involved at these prices. Anyone know where to get some used miners?

Kentucky

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

divabot posted:

the file that vicious buttcoin sneer culturists refer to as "mycrimes.txt", but whose actual title was "log.txt".

to summarise: Ross Ulbricht literally kept a diary of his Silk Road activities on his laptop. The one he ran the site from. The one he used at coffee shops and at a library. The one a pile of feds snatched off him when they arrested him. The one that was basically the motherlode of Silk Road evidence, in a nice little bundle with a bow on top.

"I imagine that someday I may have a story written about my life, and it would be good to have a detailed account of it," he wrote in January 2012.

Didn't the FBI who seized his laptop also pretend to be a bickering couple so they could distract him before he could lock his laptop by closing it?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

FAGGY CLAUSE posted:

Imagine not listening to goons in 2011 and buying like 1,000 bitcoins

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

You'd have been scammed out of all of them by now. I do think the bear-whale and the excitement generated by it's defeat is the best part of the Bitcoin Saga so far.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

fruit on the bottom posted:

Basically a prosecutor's wet dream, then?

Jury took four hours to send him away for life without parole, including lunch.

mojo1701a posted:

Didn't the FBI who seized his laptop also pretend to be a bickering couple so they could distract him before he could lock his laptop by closing it?

let me just quote myself:

----

Ulbricht had been doing all his Silk Road work from his main daily laptop. One afternoon in September 2013, he was sitting in a library, using their wifi to administer the site, and talking to a friend in the site’s online chat. Two apparently-homeless people started arguing loudly behind him; he turned to look, and the slight young woman using the desk opposite snatched his laptop. She was a government agent. So were the homeless people. So was the friend he was chatting to.

The laptop contained the near-complete collection of smoking gun evidence on the Silk Road, gift-wrapped with a little bow on top. It included the list of Silk Road servers and the names Ulbricht had used to rent them, the Silk Road accounting spreadsheets (including the purchase of the laptop), on-site chat logs, the PHP code for the site itself, photo ID for other Silk Road administrators, all the encryption keys for the site, 144,000 bitcoins ... and log.txt, Ulbricht’s daily diary of his Silk Road activities: building the site, dealing with business issues, ordering hits on people.[1]

“I imagine that someday I may have a story written about my life, and it would be good to have a detailed account of it,” he wrote in January 2012.

Everyone had assumed that “Dread Pirate Roberts” had the most painstaking operational security imaginable. It turned out Ulbricht was protected by nothing more than an impenetrable shield of narcissism, and an apparent belief that he was too smart and virtuous to be caught.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

You wouldn't be able to convert them to real currency. Now if you had bought into GBTC last year you'd be sitting loving pretty.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

divabot posted:

Ulbricht had been doing all his Silk Road work from his main daily laptop. One afternoon in September 2013, he was sitting in a library, using their wifi to administer the site, and talking to a friend in the site’s online chat. Two apparently-homeless people started arguing loudly behind him; he turned to look, and the slight young woman using the desk opposite snatched his laptop. She was a government agent. So were the homeless people. So was the friend he was chatting to.

The laptop contained the near-complete collection of smoking gun evidence on the Silk Road, gift-wrapped with a little bow on top. It included the list of Silk Road servers and the names Ulbricht had used to rent them, the Silk Road accounting spreadsheets (including the purchase of the laptop), on-site chat logs, the PHP code for the site itself, photo ID for other Silk Road administrators, all the encryption keys for the site, 144,000 bitcoins ... and log.txt, Ulbricht’s daily diary of his Silk Road activities: building the site, dealing with business issues, ordering hits on people.[1]

“I imagine that someday I may have a story written about my life, and it would be good to have a detailed account of it,” he wrote in January 2012.

Everyone had assumed that “Dread Pirate Roberts” had the most painstaking operational security imaginable. It turned out Ulbricht was protected by nothing more than an impenetrable shield of narcissism, and an apparent belief that he was too smart and virtuous to be caught.

It's even better than I remembered.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

mojo1701a posted:

It's even better than I remembered.

it also contained an entry where he chased a piece of tin foil into a tree and got covered in poison ivy

he was a strange man raised by a family that owns Costa Rican vacation houses.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
Hello I'd like to purchase all the Bitcoin you have in stock

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

Hello I'd like to purchase all the Bitcoin you have in stock

That'll be $15,000. Just let me know when you want to exchange them.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

divabot posted:

Jury took four hours to send him away for life without parole, including lunch.

let me just quote myself:

----

Still laughing forever at all this

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3824394&perpage=40

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

yes simply go to magic the gathering online exchange to purch-whoops our user database was leaked. It's fine though your money is saf-whoops the money's all gone. have a nice day!

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

https://mobile.nytimes.com/comments/2017/06/19/business/dealbook/ethereum-bitcoin-digital-currency.html

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Inept posted:

yes simply go to magic the gathering online exchange to purch-whoops our user database was leaked. It's fine though your money is saf-whoops the money's all gone. have a nice day!
to compensate you for your lost bitcoins we are issuing the equivalent value in whoopsiecoins which we just made up and can be traded freely on this very site
oh look at that. whoopsiecoin just depreciated to 1/50th the value it was when we made it up. oh well. now we will buy them all back with bitcoin. oh what sad luck that the market forces we controlled didnt benefit you in your whoopsiecoin trading. better luck next time. we consider you fairly compensated for the loss of your original bitcoins which were stolen under our care

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Inept posted:

They didn't lose their database, that was another exchange

They lost most of their assets supposedly through bad record keeping that allowed someone to "magically" siphon money.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
In Marks defense who knew that the transaction ID field really wasn't a static and fixed thing

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

You think that transaction ids should be able to uniquely identify transactions? That sounds like statist talk to me

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

exploded mummy posted:

They didn't lose their database, that was another exchange

They lost most of their assets supposedly through bad record keeping that allowed someone to "magically" siphon money.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=19571.0

Their username/password table leak happened at a different time than their bankruptcy, but it definitely happened

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

When the comments section is telling you what to buy, even the shoeshine boy vacates.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Solice Kirsk posted:

That'll be $15,000. Just let me know when you want to exchange them.

Ok all my cash is liquid right now so I'm gonna just move some stuff around and email you my e-currency and while I'm doing that just go ahead and give me all the Bitcoins and I will email you my robot cash later. K thanks.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
800 words I just scribbled on WTF an ICO is. What else would you like to know, or expect me to tell you, about ICOs?

----

ICO tokens: the ultimate crypto asset

ICO stands for “Initial Coin Offering” or “Initial Crowdfunding Offering”. These are typically tokens running on top of the Ethereum blockchain. You create a smart contract that manages a pile of tokens, sell a small percentage and hold the rest to sell later. You also keep centralised control over the token.

Token offerings have been around a while, but kicked off enormously in the second bubble. The usual pretext is crowdfunding, but in practice the tokens are just traded on the exchanges as commodities. The creators then cash in. The value proposition for buyers is, as for the creators, easy money in a bubble.

Bancor’s ICO raised $144 million with none of the due diligence of an ordinary Initial Public Offering, the barest prospectus and no indication their plan (a way to sell altcoins that aren't selling otherwise) would even work. This is clearly superior to the IPO bubble of the dot-com era, in that these aren’t actually shares, and the purchasers have no influence over the funded enterprise even in theory.

The ideas themselves are as bad as the worst dot-com IPOs. Golem offers a “decentralized” (buzzword alert!) market in computing, like Amazon Web Services except you can only pay using their token; Gnosis and Augur offer semiautomatic prediction markets using their token; Digix is a cryptocurrency backed by gold; SingularDTV is a bizarre plan to fund a TV show about the Singularity in which a Caribbean island adopts Ethereum as its currency and Austrian economics works (this one gets its own section later in the book); Iconomi is an index fund of other ICOs.[1]

The token smart contracts are often incompetent in both intended functionality and in the details of the programming.[2] This turns out not to matter as long as they do the basic job: attract buyers and sell tokens. Status raised 300,000 ETH (then $90 million) to ... write an Ethereum phone app. They capped it at 300,000 ETH – hopefully that’s enough to develop a phone app! – and it still sold out in just a few hours. The actual promises as to what people will get for that $90 million are typical:[3]

quote:

Risk of abandonment / lack of success : The User understands and accepts that the creation of the SNT and the development of the Status Project may be abandoned for a number of reasons, including lack of interest from the public, lack of funding, lack of commercial success or prospects (e.g. caused by competing projects). The User therefore understands that there is no assurance that, even if the Status Project is partially or fully developed and launched, the User will receive any benefits through the SNT held by him.

The other big problem with ICOs is that they are already recreating the Bitcoin transaction clog, but on Ethereum. Both the Bancor and Status ICOs filled the blocks on the day of their release, with Stable’s higher transaction fees blocking all smaller transaction fees for several hours. Some exchanges had to stop trading ETH because they couldn’t get transactions onto the blockchain.[4]

ICOs are reminiscent of one of the most famous share offerings from the South Sea Bubble of 1719-1720, “A company for carrying on an undertaking of great advantage, but nobody to know what it is”:[5]

quote:

The man of genius who essayed this bold and successful inroad upon public credulity, merely stated in his prospectus that the required capital was half a million, in five thousand shares of 100 pounds each, deposit 2 pounds per share. Each subscriber, paying his deposit, would be entitled to 100 pounds per annum per share. How this immense profit was to be obtained, he did not condescend to inform them at that time, but promised that in a month full particulars should be duly announced, and a call made for the remaining 98 pounds of the subscription. Next morning, at nine o’clock, this great man opened an office in Cornhill. Crowds of people beset his door, and when he shut up at three o’clock, he found that no less than one thousand shares had been subscribed for, and the deposits paid. He was thus, in five hours, the winner of 2000 pounds. He was philosopher enough to be contented with his venture, and set off the same evening for the Continent. He was never heard of again.

The finest ICO remains, of course PonzICO,[6] a piece of “blockchain performance art” wherein later contributors are paid directly from previous contributors, with the founder taking a meagre 50% off the top. His pitch – “In today’s age, it seems better to promote the plausibility of future profit rather than waste energy on actually delivering”[7] – was sufficient to gross $4000 as of June 2017.[8]

1 Survey of the top 8 ICOs at the time: Lyle Cantor. “A Tour of the Ethereum Token Bubble”. 18 June 2017.

2 e.g., Emin Gün Sirer, Phil Daian. “Bancor Is Flawed”. Hacking, Distributed (blog), 19 June 2017.

3 “SNT Creation and Status Project Creation Conditions: Explanatory Note & Governance Terms”. status.im.

4 Stan Higgins. “ICO Blues: Status Raises $64 Million (So Far) But Leaves Buyers Waiting”. CoinDesk, 20 June 2017.

5 Charles Mackay, Memoirs of Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds, chapter 2. “The South-Sea Bubble”.

6 https://ponzico.win/

7 Josh Cincinnati. “PonzICO: Let’s Just Cut To The Chase”. 12 May 2017.

8 “Ethereum Account 0x1ce7986760ade2bf0f322f5ef39ce0de3bd0c82b Info”. Etherscan.io.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

I did it, I bought 50 dollars worth of "WAVES" with my imaginary mined money, get rich bitch! To da mooooooooooooooooon!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

I've been trying to buy "Reddcoins" but their bullshit app doesn't even load the blockchain necessary to assign me a wallet. It's been downloading the blockchain for 3 loving days and it's at 40%, taking up 30 gigs of my SSD hard drive.

But not to worry, as soon as I get on that blockchain, I'm buying thousand Reddcoins! It's the future of money baby!

• Locked thread