Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Yo baby, you ever had your asshole licked by a fat man in an overcoat?

Devor posted:

Singleplayer.

Also, what's the progression supposed to be for reasonable inventory management? I thought I was going to beeline for Refined Storage, but I just realized that the Solderer is gating it pretty hard (Galgadorean garbage), or Blood Magic meteor summoning.

I'm guessing that the intermediate step is setting up a storage drawer system, using an EnderIO inventory access to see it?

Unless he's changed it since the last time I played you can get into Blood Magic pretty reasonably with the quest rewards so there isn't a ton of grinding to get the RF meteor, and once you get the meteor you don't have to do anything else for Refined storage because it literally gives you everything including a nice set of 64k storage drives. If you follow his other storage quests he seems to think Colossal chests and/or Storage drawers are the best way to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Captain Invictus posted:

Is there a mod for flattening bedrock that works with Life in the Woods: Renaissance? I love LITW, but not having an ability to flatten bedrock in worldgen is a pain in the rear end. Having a flat bedrock layer rather than the jumbled mess it normally generates as just makes the deep cavern exploration game so much less of a hassle to navigate.
Anyone?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Does LITW have caves all the way down to (bumpy) bedrock? In like 90% of the modpacks I've played, the optimal level to go stripmining is like Y 12 or 13, so you don't have lava pouring in over your head - all the ores are present. And the only cave systems down there are lava lakes.

I think the exception is a few mods that had Draconium ore down among the bumpy bedrock, but I feel like that was part of the challenge of finding it.

Hey Fingercuffs posted:

Unless he's changed it since the last time I played you can get into Blood Magic pretty reasonably with the quest rewards so there isn't a ton of grinding to get the RF meteor, and once you get the meteor you don't have to do anything else for Refined storage because it literally gives you everything including a nice set of 64k storage drives. If you follow his other storage quests he seems to think Colossal chests and/or Storage drawers are the best way to go.

Blood Magic always intimidated me, so I guess I'll give it a shot for real. I was trying to resist it!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Devor posted:

Does LITW have caves all the way down to (bumpy) bedrock? In like 90% of the modpacks I've played, the optimal level to go stripmining is like Y 12 or 13, so you don't have lava pouring in over your head - all the ores are present. And the only cave systems down there are lava lakes.

I think the exception is a few mods that had Draconium ore down among the bumpy bedrock, but I feel like that was part of the challenge of finding it.
I tend to drain lava lakes to see what's underneath. For smaller/open ones I'll do it manually, either with a bucket or stacks of dirt(super easy to remove entirely layers of lava by replacing them with dirt), for the fuckoff huge lakes/ones that are filling tunnels with no open space above them I'll go creative mode and just hold down right click with an empty bucket and drain the whole thing in like 5 minutes. But also I just hate the bumpy bedrock layer since there's still plenty of gold, diamond, redstone and such ore down there amidst it.

I remember there being a mod that made it so worldgen simply made a single, flat layer of bedrock at the very bottom of everything and none of the bumpy poo poo, similar to the nether's roof(?), but for the life of me I can't remember what it was.

KingLemming
Jan 1, 2013

fuck gregtech

Captain Invictus posted:

I tend to drain lava lakes to see what's underneath. For smaller/open ones I'll do it manually, either with a bucket or stacks of dirt(super easy to remove entirely layers of lava by replacing them with dirt), for the fuckoff huge lakes/ones that are filling tunnels with no open space above them I'll go creative mode and just hold down right click with an empty bucket and drain the whole thing in like 5 minutes. But also I just hate the bumpy bedrock layer since there's still plenty of gold, diamond, redstone and such ore down there amidst it.

I remember there being a mod that made it so worldgen simply made a single, flat layer of bedrock at the very bottom of everything and none of the bumpy poo poo, similar to the nether's roof(?), but for the life of me I can't remember what it was.

CoFHCore will handle this, just have to enable the Flat Bedrock option in the config files. It can also do it retroactively.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

KingLemming posted:

CoFHCore will handle this, just have to enable the Flat Bedrock option in the config files. It can also do it retroactively.
Heyyyy, sweet, especially if it works retroactively. I'll give that a try tomorrow and see if it works with LITWR. Thanks!

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Devor posted:

Blood Magic always intimidated me, so I guess I'll give it a shot for real. I was trying to resist it!

I only recently bothered loving with Blood Magic in a kitchen sink megapack after similarly ignoring it due to the hassle of getting started. In a pack with dozens of "ultimate" armor options, the Blood Magic option still wound up a clear winner, and notably doesn't require the final level of altar. I do advise sticking with the penultimate altar, however, as getting the final level is a huge investment for low utility/payoff.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
You only need a tier 4 altar in COTT and the quest book practically gives that to you, minus the lesser blood shard you need to make a Bound Sword to get, and the soul essence you need to get from killing enemies with the Sentient Sword.

It does give you upgraded versions of those once you make them, but it's still probably a good idea to get these early before the scaling difficulty ramps up too much. Like with AM2, leaving it until later is a bad idea.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Having a lootbag farm helps, since you can get runes, slates and blood shards from bags.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood

No idea why the 1.10 and 1.11 packs are "unofficial", you are at least half of the team that had NST running before ;)

Downloading Exploration to check it out.

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.
Is there anything to stop the nausea in the nether from CotT? Those dumb guys give me a headache.

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

mechaet posted:

No idea why the 1.10 and 1.11 packs are "unofficial", you are at least half of the team that had NST running before ;)

Downloading Exploration to check it out.

Thanks mechaet. ;) All the code is in GitHub (links from Curse are there) if you want to dig in.

I don't know who "owns" the "NST" name to ask their permission (to be nice ;)), plus "unofficial" lends some nice panache. ;) The 1.11 modpack is still beta as there are a few more mods I'd like to add (e.g. Project E and Draconic Evolution) once they come out, and they change worldgen.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

lolmer posted:

I don't know who "owns" the "NST" name to ask their permission (to be nice ;))

Gimmick name based off of the pack that started this series (Toast) and one of the most oft-repeated phrases here ("never stop posting"). I don't really claim anything beyond the cleverness to combine the two, and that ain't much.

I'm still debating how far I want to dip my toe back in, but willing to run a server for Exploration at least.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

mechaet posted:

Gimmick name based off of the pack that started this series (Toast) and one of the most oft-repeated phrases here ("never stop posting"). I don't really claim anything beyond the cleverness to combine the two, and that ain't much.

I'm still debating how far I want to dip my toe back in, but willing to run a server for Exploration at least.

Baby's First Space Race 1.10?

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
I literally can't get started in COTT. I get wiped out in the first few days by dogs, bears, or endless zombies.

I tried to pole into the air and skyblock it, but scout dragons keep wrecking me. I dig into a wall and build the blueprint house there, but mobs dig into my area and eat me. I've tried the island strat, but these creeper fish blow me to hell when I get close to the water's edge.

Maybe this pack isn't for me

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Sexual Aluminum posted:

I literally can't get started in COTT. I get wiped out in the first few days by dogs, bears, or endless zombies.

I tried to pole into the air and skyblock it, but scout dragons keep wrecking me. I dig into a wall and build the blueprint house there, but mobs dig into my area and eat me. I've tried the island strat, but these creeper fish blow me to hell when I get close to the water's edge.

Maybe this pack isn't for me

Good lord, this sounds absolutely greggy.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

mechaet posted:

Good lord, this sounds absolutely greggy.

It's not, it's just kinda hard to get started in.

I set up in an open field, dug a 2 deep, 3 wide moat around my house with a single block path across the moat, chose the Engineer starter path and slapped my turret down and that has readily kept me safe. FYI Engineer path is easily the best path, even just a basic turret shoots for 5 hearts of damage per shot, and you'll get a stack of double compressed dirt and a solar panel upgrade to go with your turret so you never have to worry about powering it.

My turret completely wrecks everything that goes near it, sometimes including me.

To survive bloodmoons, I lined the rim of my little island with reinforced stone so creepers can't blow up the micro-cliff that keeps me safe, and lined the bridge to my island, as well as the outside mouth of the bridge, with damage traps that I made to complete the early quest that demands them. Things come to my island and their pathfinding forces them onto the murder bridge and then they die horribly. I have like eight stacks of zombie flesh from blood moons because of just how many zombies die to my setup. The only thing that gives me trouble are Vampires because they're loving idiotic and have like 600 HP base, but handling even those is a matter of holing up inside my house and waiting for my turret to shoot them to death. Only thing I have to worry about is my turret running out of dirt during blood moons, so I try to restock it like halfway through the night and if I can accomplish that then I'm all set.

Magres fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jun 21, 2017

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Disposable item turrets and a bit of reinforced stone really trivialise base defences. Hook the turrets up to a simple transfer pipe cobblegen and you're set.

I'll probably upgrade to lasers eventually, but not because I really need to.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

I nerd poled up over one of those white buildings surrounded by lava.

Made it so i can run up to it, but have to jump over the lava to enter. Other than spiders nothing gets in. Oh, engi turret next to the door way to get makes sure even creepers stay away.

Eventually i put spikes/traps underneath it.

Vampires and cloaking/lighnting/wither/poison bears with 1k+ hp i still run from.

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.
I got lucky and got a teleport wand early on from a loot bag so my entrance is a half slab hole surrounded by spikes, traps and razor wire that I teleport through.
I had to make a nether quartz seed to get all my quartz from because I still die within a minute or two of getting to the nether every time. Hoping to get lucky and get a pet cow to deal with the nausea from a bag one day.

What's a good early to mid-game weapon/armor combo to shoot for?

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

mechaet posted:

If you do set up a server, you may want to wait until the next release of NST Unofficial - Exploration as I re-did most of the configs to include the added mods since inception and am waiting on a few mods to fix troublesome bugs:

I don't have a server pack setup (I haven't looked into how to do that with Curse) available, but could put one together if you want it.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
I started Infinitech 2, one of those packs where everything is gregteched out and I've found a diamond vein (which has never happened to me or anyone else I assume) but no iron or tin. gently caress.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

bigperm posted:

I started Infinitech 2, one of those packs where everything is gregteched out and I've found a diamond vein (which has never happened to me or anyone else I assume) but no iron or tin. gently caress.

Iron is the most common ore type. Yellow/Green/Brown Limonite is iron. Tin can be a pain to find though, yeah. Since Infitech2 uses gregtech ore generation, my advice is to find the alignment of the ore grid and dig straight down in every center chunk of the grid. Do this everywhere you can easily reach via the overworld and you'll likely find all the basic ores. You might even find one or two of the rare types.

I played Infitech2 for a while but once I found out the higher tier EBF recipes take hours to process each ingot I gave up.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Depends posted:

What's a good early to mid-game weapon/armor combo to shoot for?

While expensive, manyullyn armour is really good. If you're having trouble with the nether, it might be worth investing in some more mystical agriculture seeds.

For weapons, super star battleaxes seem to be fairly common, and I ended up with an archaic one within a few hours of starting. The "Justice" revolver from IE is a pretty good ranged weapon and fairly easy to get, although the questline seems a bit bugged for me.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

McFrugal posted:

Iron is the most common ore type. Yellow/Green/Brown Limonite is iron. Tin can be a pain to find though, yeah. Since Infitech2 uses gregtech ore generation, my advice is to find the alignment of the ore grid and dig straight down in every center chunk of the grid. Do this everywhere you can easily reach via the overworld and you'll likely find all the basic ores. You might even find one or two of the rare types.

I played Infitech2 for a while but once I found out the higher tier EBF recipes take hours to process each ingot I gave up.

Yeah. Still no luck. Today I found Uranium, oilsands, a second quartz a second sapphire. By god I will find some loving iron on this map.

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.
What's the new cool tech tree mod with a book to walk me through it. Not interested in tedious for the sake of tedious or adventure unless it's as good as Blightfall, but sky block is fine by me.

Thanks!

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

bigperm posted:

Yeah. Still no luck. Today I found Uranium, oilsands, a second quartz a second sapphire. By god I will find some loving iron on this map.

You do know what I mean by ore grid, right? Think of a grid with tiles the size of a 3x3 square of chunks. Gregtech can attempt to generate one ore vein per tile, in the middle chunk of that tile. So every ore vein will be 3 chunks away from the nearest vein. If you can find which chunk an ore vein is centered around, you can reliably dig straight down to find the middle of every other vein in the oregen grid.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
Speaking of CotT … Is it possible to finish the revolver quest or get the rewards from the avaritia quests yet?

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

McFrugal posted:

You do know what I mean by ore grid, right? Think of a grid with tiles the size of a 3x3 square of chunks. Gregtech can attempt to generate one ore vein per tile, in the middle chunk of that tile. So every ore vein will be 3 chunks away from the nearest vein. If you can find which chunk an ore vein is centered around, you can reliably dig straight down to find the middle of every other vein in the oregen grid.

Yeah. I know all about GT oregen. Thanks.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Carados posted:

What's the new cool tech tree mod with a book to walk me through it. Not interested in tedious for the sake of tedious or adventure unless it's as good as Blightfall, but sky block is fine by me.

Thanks!

I've been watching Sevadus stream Age of Engineering. It's a tech-only modpack with achievements/quest book, with a progression of 'ages' gated behind tech, somewhat inspired by the old FTB Expert mode. So maybe a little tedious due to that. But gating in Expert mode was the only thing that forced me to actually use stuff like blast furnaces and coke ovens instead of just beelining for the Ender IO Alloy Smelter.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Can someone tell me why my electrolytic separators are not stopping when full? The tank and the machines they are connected to are full, as well as the internal buffer, but they don't stop and instead drain my power forever. They're using a tiny bit of water as well as the pumps are all not stopping.

E: figured it out. I inadvertently connected to both the input and output of a tank with the same run of piping, causing tiny amounts to be pulled out and put back in causing the electrolytic separators to power as there was a tank not completely full.

BurritoJustice fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jun 22, 2017

Badger
Sep 21, 2007
On burrowed time...
Been playing COTT and bizarrely enjoying it. One thing ive seen is people saying about turning mobgriefing off. In case you didnt know. If you claim the chunks using the tab in your inventory it seems to turn off mobgriefing in those chunks.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Nevemrind.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

bigperm posted:

Yeah. I know all about GT oregen. Thanks.

Ah, excuse me. I hope you have better luck.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The creator of Regrowth has released a new exploration-based modpack. Haven't had a chance to look at it myself yet, though.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
There's a whole bunch of awesome and oddball stuff in there that's rare or nonexistent in the usual gamut of 1.10 modpacks. I'm all over that pack like a pig in mud.

Similsax Transtructors feels like a mod that should be in every pack ever.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Oh man this sounds pretty great. Normally having to find items in random dungeon loot sucks, but I'm guessing the generated structures have preset loot, and the NPCs can be used as a reliable source of items once you find them.

I just hope there's a good enough method of fast travel so that you can get back to the NPCs without too much headache.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Yes. It uses the Waystones mod.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

I present to you the real reason Animania is the best mod ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Toadsmash posted:

I present to you the real reason Animania is the best mod ever.

The piglets are a close second.