Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Kilza posted:

Vatanen goes to Vegas in addition to Stoner from Anaheim.

Shea Theodore, not Vatanen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

.Spec
Oct 4, 2001

Hockles posted:

Would only be a ceremonial thing, since goalies can't be captain. Just like when they sort of named Lu captain when he was in Vancouver, he just had a C painted on his mask.

Right, the whole goalies can't be captain thing. Ok instead, switch Fleury to RW and watch him start the second phase of his career.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

what a weird draft. there are some hilariously bad picks, but also some pretty good ones and decent deals for VGK. hard to give GMGM any benefit of the doubt, but depending on what he gets for flipping some of his picks, i think VGK could still wind up pushing for a wild card next year. but that's probably a pretty optimistic stretch scenario, and more likely, they're going to be very bad

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I really think some of those really bad picks are in order to stock the AHL team with guys that won't get claimed.

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

start smoking (what's up, gold?)

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

I really think some of those really bad picks are in order to stock the AHL team with guys that won't get claimed.

Or to achieve some future end goal, like taking Sbisa, because theres no loving reason you do that unless someone WANTED him.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I'm praying to the allmighty Wayner that Sbisa is being traded elsewhere.

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

ThinkTank posted:

GMGM doesn't want to piss anyone off.

He could have a borderline playoff roster today if he'd chosen to be aggressive. Instead he has a really, really historically lovely team. Maybe a tad better than Columbus or Atlanta's inaugural teams, but not much and that was definitely not what the league was going for.

Furnaceface posted:

The Pens were desperate to get rid of MAF and all they could get out of it was an additional 2020 second round pick?

Unless I WAY misunderstood how it worked, MAF waived his NMC *ONLY* for Vegas, so it didnt matter what the team wanted, he could only go there. Pitt probably threw in the pick for Vegas to take MAF instead of a F or a D, because then Pitt would have been on the hook for MAF's salary.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Totally forgot about waivers. Still doesn't excuse Sbisa, but it beats losing someone like Gaunce for nothing.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Lobsterboy posted:

Unless I WAY misunderstood how it worked, MAF waived his NMC *ONLY* for Vegas, so it didnt matter what the team wanted, he could only go there. Pitt probably threw in the pick for Vegas to take MAF instead of a F or a D, because then Pitt would have been on the hook for MAF's salary.

It's a good look for them too. They need to build a fanbase. Jon Merrill won't sell tickets.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

grack posted:

Shea Theodore, not Vatanen.

:doh:

Thanks, I've mixed up too many names tonight. Although I do wish Vegas had taken Manson (or Vatanen) over Stoner + Theodore.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
There's a lot of speculation that Vegas selected Marc Methot for the Dallas Stars.

We shall see I guess. Not too high on Methot, but Jim Nill loves his veterans on defense.

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

Spelling Mitsake posted:

It's a good look for them too. They need to build a fanbase. Jon Merrill won't sell tickets.

Agreed. I threw it out there a LONG time ago, but they need someone to sell jerseys, and based on his standing ovation from (mostly) home-town fans in Vegas... Yeah, that'll do.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Lobsterboy posted:

Does his NMC go with him? Or could Vegas trade him to another team tomorrow?

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

OldSenileGuy posted:

IIRC from old rambling, his NMC goes with his contract, and he would have to re-approve any move beyond the first, but I am not an NHL contract expert. I believe this is to prevent him being immediately flipped to, say, Philly.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

all-Rush mixtape posted:

If it's a contest to correctly guess how many points they get in their first season, my pick is 60.

Sticking by this number.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

OldSenileGuy posted:

NMC aside, no way VGK trades MAF. he's arguably their biggest star player, but more importantly, who would trade for him at this point? CGY and DAL already got their guys, not sure there's another team that wants to take on MAF's contract

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

OldSenileGuy posted:

I remember hearing when Subban went to Nashville they were like "Nah, we're not going to honour that".

Then again it obviously hadn't kicked it yet, so who knows?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Not a bad roster overall honestly. Lacking forwards but there's a lot of potential. MAF and the backups could be decent. I think they're gonna flip a few defensemen too.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Kilza posted:

Ignoring the trades, that's the roster from Vegas' picks. $51.1 mil cap hit.

Shipachyov too.

And probably Dadonov if reports are to believed: http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2017/06/19/report-russian-scorer-dadonov-likely-to-play-in-vegas-next-season/

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Apparently I have to root for the Golden Knights now because my local team is the ECHL affiliate.

:mad:

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

And Gusev was the third player on that line. Won't be shocked when he comes in Vegas' second season.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Not a bad roster overall honestly. Lacking forwards but there's a lot of potential. MAF and the backups could be decent. I think they're gonna flip a few defensemen too.

I think it hinges on who they keep on D and who they don't. I think they're keeping Theodore (obviously), Miller, McNabb, and Stoner. If they keep both Emelin and Sbisa, yikes. If they only retain one or drop both of them and get a decent asset for one or both (probably won't happen, but then I didn't see the highway robbbery they committed on the Ducks coming, either), it's not so bad. I also think they need to try and find a goalie prospect because I don't think much of J.F. Berube or Cal Pickard. I think you need a solid backup for the nights where Fleury looks like the goalie from the Mighty Ducks movie. I'm getting some Sam Hinkie vibes from McPhee's methods, where it seems like he's avoiding having too many established vets in favour of stockpiling a metric fuckton of assets. Maybe he'll find value in this draft, thin as it is, it's hard to say. We can assume he won't based on the lack of superstars, but if he has 3 or 4 first rounders and it sounds like he has around that many, he can avoid projects and grab NHL ready guys, or, more likely, people who will only need a year or 2. Outside Hischier and Patrick, I've read that people like Cal Foote, Jusso Valimaki, and Owen Tippett are all close, they just need some coaching and development time. Plus if he has late 1st he can coll the dice on somebody like Jake Oettinger. They're not gonna be good but I think it would have been a mistake to make this team overly competitive without having a strong idea of what the draft class is like next year. If they pick #1, and they might, and the draft is even thinner this year, it's kind of important for them to get these early picks right.

I think people's gut reactions are a bit over the top around here at times. I mean it's still the sanest sports board I've seen, and I appreciate the lack of racism.

One guy at HFBoards claimed Patrick is the only guy remotely close to being ready in 1st round, which is double stupid when one considers the hernia situation he dealt with all last year. Plus Hischier might well be better than him both in the short run and long run.

I also think Jason Garrison should pack his poo poo for Toronto. But that's just a guess.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jun 22, 2017

Mike Works
Feb 26, 2003
I'm pissed that the Canucks are so lovely now, because I should be super loving ecstatic that Sbisa is gone. I've hated him like no one else. But since it took so long to happen, now our team has gone from God-awful to slightly less but still very God-awful.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/frank_seravalli/status/877735307721924609

If true then there must be a player coming back if they couldn't announce it during the draft.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Welcome Luca Sbisa

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I doubt they're trading Jason Garrisson if they had him walk out wearing a jersey.

And the rumour is Miller to the Leafs.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Starsfan posted:

There's a lot of speculation that Vegas selected Marc Methot for the Dallas Stars.

We shall see I guess. Not too high on Methot, but Jim Nill loves his veterans on defense.

There's also speculation Vegas took Emelin and Sbisa due to there apparently being a market for them? I mean, Anaheim can only field so many defenseman.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Schlesische posted:

There's also speculation Vegas took Emelin and Sbisa due to there apparently being a market for them? I mean, Anaheim can only field so many defenseman.

This just serves as proof that there are GMs who don't actually watch hockey.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Aurora posted:

Apparently I have to root for the Golden Knights now because my local team is the ECHL affiliate.

:mad:

Before the NHL circus came to town, we used to have an ECHL team that represented Calgary and then Phoenix. I remained a Sharks fan. Upon looking at the Knights roster ten minutes ago, I believe I shall remain a Sharks fan.

What I'm saying is: If you too stick to your original NHL team, all the sooner you can watch them get bodied out of the playoffs by the Pens.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jun 22, 2017

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

It's okay I'm a Blackhawks fan

Also the Mallards were good in the late 90s at least

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
if you ignore/get rid of all of the bad defensemen they picked, there's actually a relatively decent d corps somewhere in that lineup. some combination of methot, garrison, schlemko, mcnabb, merrill, miller, theodore (who seems like a major coup here), schmidt doesn't seem too bad. but of course methot and miller are probably already gone and sbisa and emelin will definitely play, so yeah it's probably not going to end up being that good.

also this team is going to have a lot of trouble scoring. but i guess for the sake of the future of the franchise maybe tanking the first season out the gate rather than trying to scratch and claw your way to a 5-10-pts-out-of-playoffs-finish isn't the worst idea, especially if 2018 is shaping up to be a strong draft. most other modern expansion franchises were rear end to a historical degree in their first seasons anyway

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Mike Works posted:

I'm pissed that the Canucks are so lovely now, because I should be super loving ecstatic that Sbisa is gone. I've hated him like no one else. But since it took so long to happen, now our team has gone from God-awful to slightly less but still very God-awful.

I know, once I would've celebrated this move, now I can barely give a poo poo. I know that extra cap space will be squandered anyways.

https://streamable.com/yeuc9

This kid nailed it

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

ThinkTank posted:

I know, once I would've celebrated this move, now I can barely give a poo poo. I know that extra cap space will be squandered anyways.

https://streamable.com/yeuc9

This kid nailed it

Not to mention that the lack of Sbisa gaffes, plus the possible effective usage of that cap space, will probably hurt their odds of getting a top pick in 2018.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Please trade Emelin and Sbisa to the Leafs, VGK.

techno allah
Sep 29, 2005

If the NHL knew that Vegas was going to draft this bad i'm sure they would have given them the 1st pick in the draft. I almost feel bad for them

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
Vgk look terrible and anyone who says different is deluding themselves

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

sleep with the vicious posted:

Colorado terrible or Detroit terrible?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Krime posted:

Colorado terrible or Detroit terrible?

Almost Vancouver terrible

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
for real. Nucks are going to finish bottom 5 again - and probably 31st, barring another Avalanche happening

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

sleep with the vicious posted:

why does it even matter in their first year post expansion. they were never going to be drafting a playoff team

• Locked thread