Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

That Brian Barnhart, always a wanker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Townsend Bell being parked before the race even ended at Toronto 2002 was...interesting. Also, Patrick was so fed up at that point he didn't even try to defend him during an interview.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan
With so many goons in attendance this weekend at Road America, it's only fitting we do some sort of goonmeet. I have a campsite near the Sargento bridge or we could all so some overpriced karting.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Norns posted:

Maybe they should uhh get some actual wets then?

There isn't limitless money in this series, and Firestone already brings 3 types of tires to the races. The teams would have to pay for the 4th type to be hauled around to every race. Considering that you can't really race on streetcircuits in a heavy rain regardless of the tires you use without it turning into a complete clusterfuck (and we've proven that lottsa times), and most US road courses don't have great drainage, you're never going to use the heavy wets anyway. If its bad enough for heavy wets, its probably better for everyone to just red flag the thing.

Firestones new rain tire is significantly more... well, a rain tire than it used to be though. The one from ~4 years ago was basically a dry compound with some slits cut in it.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

KingShibby posted:

With so many goons in attendance this weekend at Road America, it's only fitting we do some sort of goonmeet. I have a campsite near the Sargento bridge or we could all so some overpriced karting.

I would not mind having a competition for the fastest goon.

It won't be me though!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

iospace posted:

I would not mind having a competition for the fastest goon.

It won't be me though!

No competition needed, it's either L_Harrison or SRA.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

2018 car's first test will be July 25-26 at IMS, one Chevy team (lets be real, its penske) and one Honda team (lets be real, its ganassi) will be present:

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/141651-indycar-preparing-for-first-2018-bodywork-tests

Also Gutierrez is confirmed for the rest of the year in the 18

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/141649-gutierrez-to-complete-season-with-coyne

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

KingShibby posted:

:gooncamp:

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

IOwnCalculus posted:

Only if L_Harrison can steer the kart with a controller. ;)

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Exactly the reason I'm not actually camping at the track, it's more of a place where my dad can relax throughout the weekend (and it was only like $40)

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Human Grand Prix posted:

Townsend Bell being parked before the race even ended at Toronto 2002 was...interesting. Also, Patrick was so fed up at that point he didn't even try to defend him during an interview.

One of my few memories of CART '02 was that loving ridiculous torpedo on Junqueira. Also Shinji Nakano doing a mosh pit dive out of his car after it caught fire in Miami. And the entire shitshow at Surfer's.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The field quality in 2002 was pretty good. I guess because of the situation even the pay drivers had to be reasonably talented.

On the flipside the racing this year is noticeably worse than 96-01.

Human Grand Prix fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jun 22, 2017

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

I'll admit I'd started paying less attention to racing as a whole around that time (I fondly remember 2000-01 CART, though), but looking back at the field it certainly still looked very respectable.

2003-onward, though? Holy poo poo

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Cygni posted:

2018 car's first test will be July 25-26 at IMS, one Chevy team (lets be real, its penske) and one Honda team (lets be real, its ganassi) will be present:

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/141651-indycar-preparing-for-first-2018-bodywork-tests

Also Gutierrez is confirmed for the rest of the year in the 18

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/141649-gutierrez-to-complete-season-with-coyne

There will be some solid midfield performances from the car that was easily one of the fastest in the field.

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

About as successful at Le Mans as Toyota

KingShibby posted:

I'm down if we do it Sunday, that was fun last year.

IOwnCalculus posted:

I beat L_Harrison in GoonCar!*

*(once, on a road course, in a car he wasn't used to)

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

IndyCar also shopping for a new electronics package, after the current one has been a bit of a nightmare for the teams.

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/141658-new-electronics-coming-with-2018-bodywork

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Outdated electronics provided by the series is a universal headache.

Even a garbage econobox is a super computer compared to any racing series. I understand why it's done but it basically forever prevents any close alignment of tech development ever again.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Donald Davidson-esque question, but...I do have one.

Why is the Indy 500-only "GOLD CROWN TITLE" listed as a National Championship in American Championship Car Racing history? Meaning the titles awarded from 1981 to 1995.

Shouldn't it just be CART title during those eras?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

No, USAC still sanctioned the Indy 500 during that timeframe. While the 500 paid points in the CART championship, it was also still technically the only race on the USAC Gold Crown calendar.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
They had helmet cams in 2002 as well. Cool beans.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

So in uh, weird news, Aleshin has 'visa issues' so SSM needs a fill in for the practice sessions... and Robert WIckens(?!) is gonna do the duties. Well thats rad and also weird.

https://twitter.com/IndyCar/status/878003321012797440

e: apparently Aleshin is stuck in France after driving at LeMans, weird.

Cygni fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jun 22, 2017

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Robert Wickens is cool and good.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

I sort of like Aleshin, but I would not complain if he got Wally Pipp'd for Wickens.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

An all canadian team eh?

Let's get Gerry Forsythe to put some of that sweet Indeck sponsorship back to work. :getin:

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Indycar drivers and visa issues seem to go together well.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 9 days!)

FuzzySkinner posted:

Donald Davidson-esque question, but...I do have one.

Why is the Indy 500-only "GOLD CROWN TITLE" listed as a National Championship in American Championship Car Racing history? Meaning the titles awarded from 1981 to 1995.

Shouldn't it just be CART title during those eras?

The GOLD CROWN is the most important title in american racing, that's why.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Peanut President posted:

The GOLD CROWN is the most important title in american racing, that's why.

Hallmark GOLD CROWN

Boom sponsorship

Edit:
https://twitter.com/MarcoAndretti/status/878035014801276928

KingShibby fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jun 23, 2017

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

What's the best lot to park in at RA anyway?

Doing it right for Wisconsin, Marco, doing it right.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

iospace posted:

What's the best lot to park in at RA anyway?

I know they expanded parking this year, but your best bets are either something as close to the middle of the track as possible, or as close to the exit as possible.

Also Aleshin will be back
https://twitter.com/mikhailaleshin/status/878222428622782464

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Dear Ed Jones:

https://twitter.com/DaleCoyneRacing/status/878265045695709184

gently caress you.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Payton was involved with Coyne for some time.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Human Grand Prix posted:

Payton was involved with Coyne for some time.

I'm also a Packers fan.

(Beyond that, I like Jones)

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

There's our first beaching of the year.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I have no idea why the Holmatro guys thought they'd get that car lifted up using the little two wheeled jack in the grass.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
They bring shame to Clan Holmatro

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

This miata race is real fun

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Cygni posted:

This miata race is real fun

It's awesome that IndyCar is sanctioning them, it's a great fit

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Yo that finish was Real Good

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

devmd01 posted:

Yo that finish was Real Good

that was so good, spec miata 4 life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Cygni posted:

miata 4 life

This is legit the only thing I can see when I see little Mazdas racing.

• Locked thread