Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

shrike82 posted:

I just set up a Ryzen 7 1700 with a 1080 Ti. I've installed the latest chipset drivers.

Is there any other setup I need to do to optimise my system?

Welcome to Team Red :getin:

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jun 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Thanks, I've set XMP for my ram. I'm wary about overclocking the CPU, I understand that doing so disables idling?

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

shrike82 posted:

Thanks, I've set XMP for my ram. I'm wary about overclocking the CPU, I understand that doing so disables idling?

Use P-State overclocking if your BIOS supports it. It's probably in a menu under AMD CBS.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

SamDabbers posted:

Use P-State overclocking if your BIOS supports it. It's probably in a menu under AMD CBS.

Just checked this on my setup and apparently it set itself up automatically. That's pretty nifty of Asrock.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I've been keeping this in for too long

WHERE ARE MY APUs LISA SU?

With all these SKUs eating pretty much every conceivable defect on a Zeppelin die, I don't imagine desktop APUs are necessarily a priority but my mad science projects can only wait so long.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Back-to-school at the earliest, more likely Christmas.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Combat Pretzel posted:

At least AM4 doesn't fry your CPU, whenever you intent to use that weird upgrade path Intel thought up.

:thejoke:

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Back-to-school at the earliest, more likely Christmas.

:negative:

I just want it so bad. I want to make VESA mounted PlayStation killers.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

NewFatMike posted:

:negative:

I just want it so bad. I want to make VESA mounted PlayStation killers.

AMD should support the new STX motherboard standard, I bet they could go full retard with the board design and integrate a Lexa GPU on a premium version so you can use Summit/Pinnacle as well.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Here come the white box EPYC servers

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11567/tyan-announces-amd-epyc-tn70ab8026-server-1p-16-dimms-26-ssds-oculink

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

SamDabbers posted:

thanks man, i've OCed to 3.7GHZ. Dumb question but how does overclocking here differ from the max turbo core speed of 3.7GHZ that the 1700 advertises? Does that also go up proportionately?

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

shrike82 posted:

thanks man, i've OCed to 3.7GHZ. Dumb question but how does overclocking here differ from the max turbo core speed of 3.7GHZ that the 1700 advertises? Does that also go up proportionately?

No. Turbo only works on a single core for the most part. The OC you just did basically applies turbo to all cores when they're used and can take advantage of it. Turbo is also disabled when you OC as well.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Ok, that was.... an experience.

So I'm running the ASUS Prime B350 Plus now and it seems to be going fine. Stupid loving red LED along the board but whatever. I actually like the layout more than I do the ASRock.

Except with the ASRock board I did a clean install of Win 10 Pro and didn't run into activation issues. I guess since it regsitered yet another motherboard so quickly that activation became fucky not to mention that I didn't do another clean install. Remember the days where you could just call into that automated Microsoft line and punch in those sets of numbers to reactivate your Windows product key?

Because, holy gently caress. Had to get the live chat thing built in Win 10 to talk with an agent who, for the first time ever in my life, ended up remote connecting to my PC (with my permission of course) and proceeded to do all the steps I'd already done before he said "One second please let me speak with my supervisor" and.... gave me a brand new Windows 10 key. My old key went back to Win 8. That was definitely a new one for me.

Also, the live chat for Windows 10 is pretty awesome surprisingly.

For those curious for potential future builds, this ASUS board ran into no issues from the get go and the Kingston RAM I'm running is registering at the correct timings and frequency so yay. Hopefully this one doesn't poo poo the bed any time soon.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

The cybersecurity part of my brain is screaming

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
^^^^^^
It's not like his install didn't send everything to them already via "optional" telemetry...

I asked before but my timetable for buying a new machine got bumped up:

Our main work is embedded micros, embedded linux, android and android apps. Shittons of compiling which is all massively parallel, so a $200 6/12 Ryzen 5 1600 is awfully appealing compared to a $300+ 4/8 I7-7xxx.

That leaves two questions:

Is the GCC segfaulting sorted out yet?
Is the IOMMU fuckery sorted out yet?

Being able to run linux+windows side-by-side is incredibly useful. Pay a bit more for a windows license thats legal in a VM, pay a lot less for duplicated hardware. I'm going to be stuck on this upgrade cycle for a while, so I don't want to get hosed like I did with this FX chip.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
GCC fuckery hasn't been sorted out. Individuals report mixed results from various workarounds. Turning on load line calibration with a low setting has fixed the issue for a few people. On one of the community threads an AMD employee implied the issue wasn't widespread and they were doing service for affected individuals. Not sure I'm comfortable with that but I can believe it doesn't affect all chips.

IOMMU groups do seem resolved, though that also comes down to the specifics of your motherboard. Do your research.

The biggest one stopping me is NPT performance with GPU passthrough, which apparently has been a problem for AMD as far back as bulldozer. AMD hasn't properly acknowledged this issue, from what I've seen. This would be a critical failure on threadripper, which otherwise seems perfect for a gaming VM build.

Desuwa fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jun 23, 2017

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Potato Salad posted:

The cybersecurity part of my brain is screaming

I know, right?!

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Desuwa posted:

The biggest one stopping me is NPT performance with GPU passthrough, which apparently has been a problem for AMD as far back as bulldozer. AMD hasn't properly acknowledged this issue, from what I've seen. This would be a critical failure on threadripper, which otherwise seems perfect for a gaming VM build.

What is NPT in this context?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Paul MaudDib posted:

What is NPT in this context?

Nested page tables, another term for second-level address translation, or as Intel calls it, Extended Page Tables. It's a hypervisor acceleration technology that allows hypervisors to use the full feature set of x86 paging without the associated software overhead of page table shadowing. Hyper-V has required it since 2008R2, and bhyve and OpenBSD vmm both require it.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Kazinsal posted:

Nested page tables, another term for second-level address translation, or as Intel calls it, Extended Page Tables. It's a hypervisor acceleration technology that allows hypervisors to use the full feature set of x86 paging without the associated software overhead of page table shadowing. Hyper-V has required it since 2008R2, and bhyve and OpenBSD vmm both require it.

Goddamn it AMD. Seriously, the one thing that is going to actually piss cloud vendors off is problems with virtualization. :ughh:

And this is the first AMD product in a datacenter in a decade, and you just got fresh new branding and everything too :ughh:

I'm not gonna lie, even a lot of the use-cases I can imagine for TR myself are virtualization-related (dual-boxing a linux server and windows gaming system or dual-seat gaming box at once, thin OS/container host like FreeBSD or CoreOS, etc) and the larger the scale the more virtualization becomes a system management tool you need. AWS and other infrastructure-scale cloud providers are 100% virtualized everything, each instance is a VM on a host.

I really hope they have software fixes for all this poo poo super soon because didn't Epyc launch to customers this week?

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy
Isnt the rumoured b2 step ment to fix these issues?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Scarecow posted:

Don't call it a comeback

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Scarecow posted:

AMD hasn't acknowledged the NPT bug. We also don't know what the B2 stepping is supposed to fix, if anything.

Searching for NPT and ryzen in the VFIO subreddit will turn up some discussion over people attempting to manage it. The short of it is that leaving NPT enabled will ruin GPU performance but disabling it will ruin CPU performance.

https://community.amd.com/thread/215931
https://www.redhat.com/archives/vfio-users/2017-April/msg00019.html
https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/pipermail/iommu/2017-May/021592.html

e: Ah, here's the much older bug I saw: https://sourceforge.net/p/kvm/bugs/230/

Apparently it's been broken forever on AMD and nobody cared because nobody used AMD processors. There's a reasonable chance of this getting attention, with Ryzen being usable, but if there isn't at least a fix in the pipeline by the time I do my build I'm going to have to go with SKLX even if it burns my apartment down.

Desuwa fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jun 23, 2017

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
NPT performance can't be fixed in software, if the hardware doesn't work it's slower to work around it than just take the trap and emulate the table manipulation for the guest like you did before NPT was a thing.

GCC fuckery may be fixable, if what the DragonflyBSD guys found is the cause. The usual poo poo with errata:

"Matt Dillon posted:

Hi, Matt Dillon here. Yes, I did find what I believe to be a hardware issue with Ryzen related to concurrent operations. In a nutshell, for any given hyperthread pair, if one hyperthread is in a cpu-bound loop of any kind (can be in user mode), and the other hyperthread is returning from an interrupt via IRETQ, the hyperthread issuing the IRETQ can stall indefinitely until the other hyperthread with the cpu-bound loop pauses (aka HLT until next interrupt). After this situation occurs, the system appears to destabilize. The situation does not occur if the cpu-bound loop is on a different core than the core doing the IRETQ. The %rip the IRETQ returns to (e.g. userland %rip address) matters a *LOT*. The problem occurs more often with high %rip addresses such as near the top of the user stack, which is where DragonFly's signal trampoline traditionally resides. So a user program taking a signal on one thread while another thread is cpu-bound can cause this behavior. Changing the location of the signal trampoline makes it more difficult to reproduce the problem. I have not been able to completely mitigate it. When a cpu-thread stalls in this manner it appears to stall INSIDE the microcode for IRETQ. It doesn't make it to the return pc, and the cpu thread cannot take any IPIs or other hardware interrupts while in this state.

To hit it, ASLR needs to place your stack base high enough for a process that takes an interrupt on the opposite side of a hyperthread core while your stack is shallow enough to still be up there, and you have to be consuming CPU time, not waiting on something. The exact type of conditions that'd make for apparently random and rare segfaults.

If he's right, then a "Lol Ryzen" chunk that ASLR won't place the stack in would be enough to fix it. It's compounded by the other killers of GCC - memory timing issues, overclocking and power delivery. GCC has always been astoundingly good at ferreting out systems with flakeyness, to the point that doing a parallel kernel or firefox or xorg make is a great way to check stability.

We won't know until AMD definitively answers. There's no shame in saying "Yup, that's our bad, here's how to work around it with no performance penalty." It's not like Intel has ever shipped a chip with working TSX...

I'll put I7s in at work this time around, and see what Threadripper brings when I renew my machine at home in the fall.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Harik posted:

GCC fuckery may be fixable, if what the DragonflyBSD guys found is the cause. The usual poo poo with errata:

racecondition.jpg

Like this isn't even just a computer engineering thing, this is a computer thing, this is what engineers spend months banging their head against and then it turns out to be a latency-sensitive problem that only occurs on even numbered years on months where the 2nd is a tuesday because of a goddamned race condition and you can't reproduce it to save your life.

Nice hail-mary there Matt, and you have a test case that reproduces. Fuckin' A.

I really want to read the postmortem on this from both AMD and Matt's side. Hackernews, make it happen :argh:

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Jun 23, 2017

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

That's a cool article link.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Desuwa posted:

Searching for NPT and ryzen in the VFIO subreddit will turn up some discussion over people attempting to manage it. The short of it is that leaving NPT enabled will ruin GPU performance but disabling it will ruin CPU performance.
GPU performance is currently irrelevant for cloud providers.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Combat Pretzel posted:

If Microsoft wants to compete with amazon when it comes to tensor computer nodes they will.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Combat Pretzel posted:

I didn't mention cloud providers, but at the same time I wouldn't say it's irrelevant. However, GPU compute is a completely different beast from trying to play games on a consumer GPU with passthrough and it's unknown if the bug even gets triggered with how cloud providers set up their machines.

I'm hoping this will get attention just because enthusiasts are actually buying and using AMD processors, and Threadripper especially is a perfect fit for the gaming VM use case, but I'm not holding my breath for a silver bullet. If AMD does look at it and it can't be fixed until Zen+, or later, then I'll just have to go with SKLX once Volta is released. Hopefully Intel will have announced a soldered revision before that.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

AT has a long write up on Glofo's new 7nm DUV process and the future of AMD's chips in general. Pretty interesting if you wanna get real nerdy.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11558/globalfoundries-details-7-nm-plans-three-generations-700-mm-hvm-in-2018

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
I can't seem to get ANY virtual machines running properly. I seem to run into problems on an MSI B350 board even with IOMMU set to Auto and SVM enabled in the BIOS. VirtualBox will boot WinXP for a split second before going to a black screen, and the only thing that seems to fix it is diasbling VT-x/AMD-V in the Processor settings. Not sure if this is a question for the AMD thread, or the virtualization thread.

EDIT: Nope, not even disabling VT-x/AMD-V worked. I was able to install XP on the VHD but as soon as it tried to boot into the OS for the OOBE, it black screened less than a few seconds after hitting the XP splash screen. This loving sucks.

barnold fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jun 23, 2017

eames
May 9, 2009

have you tried updating the BIOS/microcode?

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
Yeah, I was on the latest official for the B350 Tomahawk (1.50) but I decided to flash the latest beta bios, 1.64. Re-enabled SVM, set IOMMU to Enabled instead of Auto just to make sure, and now the virtual machine is booting with AMD-V enabled. They should push one of these to the official page one of these days, otherwise people like me who aren't particularly keen on using beta BIOS versions would never know

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
This is probably opening a gate for mockery but does anyone here actively use the ASUS motherboard software side of things? I mean like Fan Xpert 2.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Wirth1000 posted:

This is probably opening a gate for mockery but does anyone here actively use the ASUS motherboard software side of things? I mean like Fan Xpert 2.

It was absolute garbage on my skylake, and wouldn't correctly uninstall either. I don't know if it's better on AMD.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I'm fiddling with it and I really don't trust it. I was curious to see if there's anyone who is comfortable with how it regulates everything.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

I used it on my Phenom system. Seemed to work well enough.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
https://community.amd.com/community/gaming/blog/2017/06/23/even-more-performance-updates-for-ryzen-customers
New patches: Tomb Raider performance on Ryzen increases by 28%, ZBrush light placement performance on Ryzen increases by 204,772% (22.5 seconds to 11 milliseconds lmao)

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Malloc Voidstar posted:

https://community.amd.com/community/gaming/blog/2017/06/23/even-more-performance-updates-for-ryzen-customers
New patches: Tomb Raider performance on Ryzen increases by 28%, ZBrush light placement performance on Ryzen increases by 204,772% (22.5 seconds to 11 milliseconds lmao)

Ryzen requires some tweaking apparently vs the instructions/behavior that's useful on the older Intel chips. But it does seem to clean up nicely. Based on the IOMMU/compiling discussion stuff I really think I am out until Threadripper+New stepping, but by then hopefully people will have done these patches. :iia:

Is there any low-level discussion of how Ryzen's behavior differs from the Intel chips and how best to code for it? Other than "Microarchitecture"?

Do the patches people are making for Ryzen have any relevance for SKL-X given the increase in near-core latency in the new mesh interconnect?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy
Jesus the wait for threadripper is killing me, where are the drat leaks at