Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Missionary man :

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Selachian posted:

That isn't that far off from how Wayne Boring used to draw Supes. Even Curt Swan drew him as more beefy than ripped.

Oh, and everyone should read Master of Kung Fu. It's Doug Moench's love letter to two disparate genres: chopsocky action films and British adventure novels.

I'm still reading his Moon Knight, but I am so down for more Moench.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Missionary man :

Just making sure, since this art is nice and all, but you didn't confuse this with the Badass thread, did you?

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Haha nah, I've been wanting to scan a load of my comics for this thread for ages and managed to get around to it yesterday finally.
Batman vs lobo

Panel from batman/judge dredd

Brazilianpeanutwar fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Jun 21, 2017

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Haha nah, I've been wanting to scan a load of my comics for this thread for ages and managed to get around to it yesterday finally.
Batman vs lobo

Panel from batman/judge dredd

While the art is good, would you mind posting who the artists are. I am assuming the Mask stuff is Mahnke, and the Lobo/Batman stuff is Bisley.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Missionary man :

I looked the comic up because something about the pacing or the dialogue sounded suspiciously British Comics. I don't know what it is, exactly, but sometimes you can just tell. Anyway, yeah, it's out of Dredd/2000 AD, and the artist is friggin' Quitely.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Madkal posted:

While the art is good, would you mind posting who the artists are. I am assuming the Mask stuff is Mahnke, and the Lobo/Batman stuff is Bisley.

You are correct on both accounts.

Edit: The Batman/Judge Dredd art is also by Bisley.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Whoops sorry I totally forgot about naming artists and yeah you were all right.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Bisley owns so much. Im really digging that Mahnke art though, does anybody have any advice on what collected Mask is out there?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

Bisley owns so much. Im really digging that Mahnke art though, does anybody have any advice on what collected Mask is out there?

There are omnibus editions, two collecting the original stories and one collecting the Adventures of The Mask based on the cartoon based on the movie. I only have the old trade for the original story, so I can't comment on the other stories or the new collections, but the omnibuses should be fairly easy to find.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Phy posted:

I looked the comic up because something about the pacing or the dialogue sounded suspiciously British Comics. I don't know what it is, exactly, but sometimes you can just tell. Anyway, yeah, it's out of Dredd/2000 AD, and the artist is friggin' Quitely.

I can't believe I didn't catch that. Now that you've mentioned it, it's so obvious that that's Quitely. I'm going to have to buy this comic I think.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

haitfais posted:

I can't believe I didn't catch that. Now that you've mentioned it, it's so obvious that that's Quitely. I'm going to have to buy this comic I think.

It's early Quitely, from back in the days when he wasn't perpetually stoned.

This is what you're looking for.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

More goodness in Kevin O'neill's Monster Massacre

And here is Bodycount another simon bisley comic,this time starring one of the ninja turtles, this one's loving bizarre and incredibly violent.

Brazilianpeanutwar fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Jun 21, 2017

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

catlord posted:

There are omnibus editions, two collecting the original stories and one collecting the Adventures of The Mask based on the cartoon based on the movie. I only have the old trade for the original story, so I can't comment on the other stories or the new collections, but the omnibuses should be fairly easy to find.

Thanks! Turns out they had all of them at the Detroit comics shop, so mission accomplished!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

More Simon Bisley goodness in Simon Bisley's Monter Massacre

Only the cover of that is Bisley. The rest is Kevin O'Neill, who Bisley had a phase of aping.

BTW, do you think you could shrink images down a bit if not TIMG them when you're posting that many?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

DO keep uploading that poo poo though, this thread needs way more cool art posts.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Crime and punishment : Marshall law takes manhattan

Pat mills / Kevin o'neill

see in the background how there's that daredevil guy dressed in yellow walking around? He appears intermittently throughout the comic walking into things and being completely ineffective,doesn't even say a word he's just a background visual gag, I LOVE this comic

Brazilianpeanutwar fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jun 21, 2017

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Kevin o'neill os the best

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I liked it as a kid but I'm not sure how it's different than Ennis' various poo poo takes on heroes over the years, other than the main character isn't as unbearably smug as his are.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Jesus christ every single "what if superheros are actually in a mental asylum" story acts like nobody in the world could ever have POSSIBLY come up with such a BOLD and MIND BLOWING idea

It's up there with "they were in a coma the whole time and hallucinated their amazing adventures"

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Spiders-man dangling from his abdominal spinnerets

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

purple death ray posted:

Jesus christ every single "what if superheros are actually in a mental asylum" story acts like nobody in the world could ever have POSSIBLY come up with such a BOLD and MIND BLOWING idea

It's up there with "they were in a coma the whole time and hallucinated their amazing adventures"

Someone's a grumpy gus.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Scaramouche posted:

I liked it as a kid but I'm not sure how it's different than Ennis' various poo poo takes on heroes over the years, other than the main character isn't as unbearably smug as his are.

That's why I enjoy Marshal Law and can't stand Ennis -- Mills and O'Neill can take the piss out of superheroes without implying that you're an immature idiot if you actually like superheroes.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

purple death ray posted:

Want to date the first use of the trope for us?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Someone's mad about 30 year old comics.

Anyway they're nuts but they are ALSO genuine superpowered superheroes, that's just where they're imprisoned.

quote:

The title character, Marshal Law, is the government-sanctioned "super hero hunter" (aka law enforcement officer, or “cape killer”) with superpowers in the city of San Futuro, the near-future metropolis built from the ruins of San Francisco following a massive earthquake. Law's job is to take down other superheroes who have gone rogue, which he does with maximum force and great pleasure.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
How 'bout a less-stylised (or differently-so, anyway) Bisley piece?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
My only exposure to Marshall Law has been the weird time they did a crossover with Hellraiser, which was being published by Marvel at the time.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Selachian posted:

That's why I enjoy Marshal Law and can't stand Ennis -- Mills and O'Neill can take the piss out of superheroes without implying that you're an immature idiot if you actually like superheroes.

Yeah I guess you're right; to me Mills/O'Neill's agenda was "maximum chaos/weirdness" that happened to involve super heroes, whereas Ennis is more like "you are a water brained baby for like them".

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

From reddit, Insane decoupage

https://m.imgur.com/a/QgyRN

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
That pic of Hulk covers up the best part. The bunny slippers.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also, of you're into comic and pulp art from the 60s-80s, I can't recommend @pulplibrarian highly enough. Yesterday he did a retrospective on a British horror comic aimed at girls from the late 70's called misty.

https://mobile.twitter.com/PulpLibrarian/status/877622403584667648

His account also features tons of weird toys, scifi book art and other novelties. It's well curated and always interesting.

Toadstrieb
Apr 15, 2011

Jesus. If you're familiar with the premise of the movie "Room", maybe I could see someone willfully enjoying doing this in that situation.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ross's big pinup for Marvel Legends (whatever the hell that is)

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Are they digging for something?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That does not look good.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
gently caress the ground

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Gotta smash something

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

zoux posted:

Ross's big pinup for Marvel Legends (whatever the hell that is)

Isn't it some kind of time travel or time anomaly thing where the original Avengers and other characters from the '60s meet the current incarnation of the team? Hence '60's Cap, Iron Man, and Thor alongside Cage, Squirrel Girl, and Ms. Marvel et. all. I'd swear that's what I heard it was going to be on some podcast or another.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Onslaught Reborn Redux

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Typical Pubbie posted: