Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I didn't have a real problem with MCC any time I was playing it besides some lag and also nobody choosing anything but Halo 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

barren_sky
May 6, 2004

Do any of you guys use a Kinect for Skype still? I just picked up and Xbox One S and was thinking of looking for a cheap Kinect solely for use as a Skype camera. I often use Skype so my family can talk to distant relatives, but crowding around the PC is a bit awkward and thought having it in our living room on the TV might make the experience better for everyone. Also, you don't need Gold to use Skype on Xbox, right?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ive used it a bit and its genuinely not bad for exactly that use. It has an autotracking feature that tries to focus on faces but doesnt work right for groups, but you can just turn that off.

barren_sky
May 6, 2004

I was just about to open up my new Xbox, but had to hesitate. I bought the Xbox Halo collection bundle, which includes MCC and Halo 5, but nowhere on the box does it say that the system has an UHD BluRay drive, which is the main reason I bought it. It just says 'play Blu Ray movies and stream 4k and HDR". Now that I look at it again, it doesn't actually say 'Xbox One S' anywhere either. Just 'Xbox One'. It sure looks like the 'S' consoles I've seen pictures of, but the lack of information on the box has me second guessing myself. So before I open it: this thing for sure has an UHD drive, right?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

barren_sky posted:

I was just about to open up my new Xbox, but had to hesitate. I bought the Xbox Halo collection bundle, which includes MCC and Halo 5, but nowhere on the box does it say that the system has an UHD BluRay drive, which is the main reason I bought it. It just says 'play Blu Ray movies and stream 4k and HDR". Now that I look at it again, it doesn't actually say 'Xbox One S' anywhere either. Just 'Xbox One'. It sure looks like the 'S' consoles I've seen pictures of, but the lack of information on the box has me second guessing myself. So before I open it: this thing for sure has an UHD drive, right?

If you got this: http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/consoles/xbox-one-s-halo-collection-bundle-500GB/home

Then yeah, you're good. It does UHD.

barren_sky
May 6, 2004

That's the one! And once I opened it up it did say Xbox One S on the actual console. I thought the UHD drive was a real selling point for this system. I'm surprised it isn't written in huge letters on the box!

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

barren_sky posted:

Do any of you guys use a Kinect for Skype still? I just picked up and Xbox One S and was thinking of looking for a cheap Kinect solely for use as a Skype camera. I often use Skype so my family can talk to distant relatives, but crowding around the PC is a bit awkward and thought having it in our living room on the TV might make the experience better for everyone. Also, you don't need Gold to use Skype on Xbox, right?

The Xbox One S doesn't have the proprietary connector the Kinect uses, you would also need the USB adapter for it and that's something like 75 bucks (Ed: They lowered it to $40US) with no real avenues to get any cheaper.

univbee fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jun 22, 2017

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Wait...the Xbox one S doesn't support Kinect? :lol: wow.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

barren_sky posted:

I thought the UHD drive was a real selling point for this system. I'm surprised it isn't written in huge letters on the box!

While it sort-of is, UHD disc playback capability is also not really that much of a selling point right now; the discs are expensive, the library is extremely limited, they only just started putting out discs with a really high color depth (which the Xbox One S can't take advantage of), and there just aren't that many 4K TV's out there (and unlike with Blu-ray where you could actually benefit at launch if you had a 720p/1080i television, you get zero benefit from UHD Blu-ray if you have a 1080p TV).

veni veni veni posted:

It "supports" it but you need the adapter (it's the same adapter used on Windows PC's for it). They gave owners of an original "Xbox One with Kinect" bundle the adapter for free if they bought an Xbox One S via a slightly convoluted "give us all three serial numbers" system, but even that was still the case they stopped that promotion.

univbee fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jun 22, 2017

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

It does, but like it was said, needs a connector.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

barren_sky posted:

That's the one! And once I opened it up it did say Xbox One S on the actual console. I thought the UHD drive was a real selling point for this system. I'm surprised it isn't written in huge letters on the box!

It also looks like the long-term HDR format winner (Dolby Vision) isn't supported by the Xbone S.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

univbee posted:

The Xbox One S doesn't have the proprietary connector the Kinect uses, you would also need the USB adapter for it and that's something like 75 bucks with no real avenues to get cheap.

I guess I don't know where you live/what currency you are talking about, but looks like 40 bucks to me.

https://www.amazon.com/Xbox-Kinect-Adapter-One-Windows-10/dp/B01GVE4YB4/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

Still seems excessive to me. But not AS excessive.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Twerk from Home posted:

It also looks like the long-term HDR format winner (Dolby Vision) isn't supported by the Xbone S.

Yeah, this is what I was alluding to earlier. There is one cost-effective player with Dolby Vision support right now, plus the two flagship Oppo players. Only 2 movies with Dolby Vision on the disc right now (Despicables Me 1 and 2) but it will in all likelihood be on all discs beginning shortly (at least it better be).

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah. But they were trying to make it mandatory and the main selling point back at launch, so it's kind of funny that they have said "gently caress it" to that degree.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

King Burgundy posted:

I guess I don't know where you live/what currency you are talking about, but looks like 40 bucks to me.

https://www.amazon.com/Xbox-Kinect-Adapter-One-Windows-10/dp/B01GVE4YB4/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

This is actually good, it was definitely more expensive but since the Kinect is such a hot item they lowered the SRP. :toot:

I'll edit my post.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

King Burgundy posted:

They call that "Overdelivering on value"

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah. But they were trying to make it mandatory and the main selling point back at launch, so it's kind of funny that they have said "gently caress it" to that degree.

wait till you get a load of the ram

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

veni veni veni posted:

it is kind of funny, yes.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Certainly nothing to spend three 8000 page threads on though right? Nothing is that funny.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I haven't kept up with Xbox in general or read any of the shark tank threads since launch, so if dropping Kinect support out of the box has been the butt of a million jokes already, I missed it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Why is Dolby Vision the winner when HDR10 is already on all the devices? Isn't that why Bluray won? It was on the PS3 and thus was in everyone's home already?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

Why is Dolby Vision the winner when HDR10 is already on all the devices? Isn't that why Bluray won? It was on the PS3 and thus was in everyone's home already?

IIRC it's not going to outright replace HDR10 (If I'm not mistaken, a Dolby Vision disc will still work with HDR10 more or less correctly, at least this is the case for Despicable me 1 and 2), but Dolby Vision IS better than HDR10 (it's 12-bit color channels instead of 10-bit, and has the ability for per-scene adjustments which HDR10 doesn't have), meaning people who spent the big bucks and got a Dolby Vision TV (which is looking to be the established standard going forward) will have to look elsewhere for the UHD Blu-ray Playback fix to actually get their money's worth out of their TV.

barren_sky
May 6, 2004

Twerk from Home posted:

Oh shiiiiit. Should've done more research I guess. Surely that could be patched in though, right?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Beastie posted:

Halo multiplayer just devolves into two people running/bunny-hopping at each other, mag dumping into their shields and then a slap fight.

That's all multiplayer in every game, though.

Oh, I forgot about 1337 sn1p4rs, my bad!

Real hurthling! posted:

Certainly nothing to spend three 8000 page threads on though right? Nothing is that funny.

It's weird, some people latch on to bad jokes and ride that poo poo into the ground. I'm sure nobody here knows anything about that! :v:

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

barren_sky posted:

Oh shiiiiit. Should've done more research I guess. Surely that could be patched in though, right?

It can.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/02/25/dolby-vision-hdr-in-software/

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
If Dolby Vision is only actually supported on two lovely kid's movies, I don't see how it's bad to not have it supported right now.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

So it literally doesn't matter?

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Cojawfee posted:

So it literally doesn't matter?

There was a time when Dolby Vision was thought of as chip only, so it's possible the people talking about it thought that was still the case. Then it would kinda maybe matter, if it really does become the go to.

But yeah, it totally doesn't matter.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

fishmech posted:

If Dolby Vision is only actually supported on two lovely kid's movies, I don't see how it's bad to not have it supported right now.

They were only very recently released, more should follow, it's looking like Disney was waiting for Dolby Vision before it started releasing 4K UHD movies, for example. Plus some streaming services do provide a lot more Dolby Vision movies.

That said, it was previously looking like Dolby had some requirement from a hardware standpoint (something like they had to OK the internals THX-style or something) but if that's no longer the case and it can be patched in that's good news.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

fishmech posted:

And all of the major streaming services, and most of the good displays with HDR.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
Have you guys tried out the Xbox Game Pass yet? I activated my 2 week trial, and I'm really loving it. I've been playing Soul Calibur, Soul Calibur II HD, Hexic 2 (super addictive), Shantae and The Pirate's Curse (great platformer, A++), and a little Gears of War: Ultimate Edition (just bought it at a used book store for $15).

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Everything in Game Pass seems to be available for a loving song elsewhere, so I feel like just putting that 10bux aside every month for cheap games makes more sense.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Game Pass is a joke. It will be worth it come 2018, I hope.

They'll probably fill it with 360 games though.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ive gotten decent value from it, but its chock full of trash like De Blob 2 and Resident Evil 0.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Game Pass is mostly decent for people who didn't pick up older Games With Gold when they were available, I find. That's why I don't bother with it, I already got all the NA region ones.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Are you guys going to be playing playerunknown battlegrounds when it comes out?

Abalone Malone
Jul 26, 2002

mad max is a lot of fun, thats worth it for my first month of game pass

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

i'd take a free xbonk. i just want to play perfect dark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

veni veni veni posted:

Since I have this free copy I'm Dl'ing it now and remembering how poorly received it was. Did they not fix it? What exactly did they gently caress up (if it's multi you can just say multi without going into specifics because I only like Halo Single player and Co-op).

Another major problem with MCC.

The halo 1/original halo 2 games use the inferior windows edition instead of being a ported Xbox edition.

Also most of the games are missing title updates with patches and balances. Halo 4 is the one that closely plays to the original and its also the only one 343 made in the past. Halo 3 is kind of awful in the state its I'm and 75% of the time that's what will win the vote.

I'm thinking people excused that at launch thinking they would update the games later on.