Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Fauxtool posted:

since you seem to be so good at acquiring cards, can you get me a 580 8gb for personal use? I want one for an actual build but heck no to the prices online. I dont mind paying some to make it worth your while

I found in my area (dallas) best buy of all places had considerable stock of 560s 570s 580s and 1060's 1070's (and 1080s and so on) at non-inflated prices... for the time being. I picked up a non reference PNY 1070 for exactly what it cost a few weeks ago there ($420). Not good, but not retarded either.

They were holding all the 580's and 1070's in the back now but the shelf spot is tagged to say that.

edit: I've seen these things in the GPU thread a long time ago, but does anybody know much about these?

http://www.hwtools.net/Adapter/PE4C%20V2.1.html

Looks like... perhaps $80 total for a mPCIe connection. Presumably you can use a powerbrick or just a separate PSU altogether to run the thing. Turns out I have less spare PC parts than I remembered but basically unlimited access to hundreds of laptops so this is very interesting to me

1gnoirents fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jun 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I thought I'd save some of this funny money for the Steam sale, but holy gently caress the fees to use it are insane. I just bought a $4.99 game on Steam with BTC, and after fees it was over $9. gently caress that.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Enos Cabell posted:

I thought I'd save some of this funny money for the Steam sale, but holy gently caress the fees to use it are insane. I just bought a $4.99 game on Steam with BTC, and after fees it was over $9. gently caress that.

Welcome to Cryptocurrency! FREE MONEY!

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
I just bought Doom for $15 and the fee was $4 for that too so I guess maybe it's a fixed amount. I wonder why there's no fee when you buy gift cards from gyft.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

MaxxBot posted:

I just bought Doom for $15 and the fee was $4 for that too so I guess maybe it's a fixed amount. I wonder why there's no fee when you buy gift cards from gyft.
Gyft/egifter are burning VC money. Steam is an actual money making business.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think that's the payment processor doing that, hedging against massive variance in the value

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i bought some games too, but I cashed my bitcoin out into real US dollars and spent those on steam.

Bitcoin, wave of the future!

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

My 1080 buttmining while undervolted is basically is paying for my lunch 4~5 times a week, depending what I have. Hey, free lunch, can't really complain.

I switched to the new nicehash that has dual mining enbaled for nvidia cards, but since i use command lines to limit usage (basically I don't let my GPU get above 95% usage), it must not be as profitable as others (blake2k's, lbry) because I almost never see my miner on it.

I've got dcri at 150. Tried 92 but that ended up worse for dual mining. Not really bothered to try closing the gap between those two numbers to find best hashing efficiency, so 150 it is, which is the recommended value for 1080tis.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jun 23, 2017

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

I got free electricity included in my lease. Is it safe to have my two computers mine while I'm at work? I'm afraid of something blowing up and causing a fire while I'm not at my apartment. I'd rather not mine when I'm home because the heat would be annoying.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Unless you're running janky mining rigs set up on top of video card boxes with hundreds of watts running though $2 chinese PCI-E riser cables you're probably fine, unfortunately that describes probably 2/3 of people mining. Just make sure your temps are OK and if you're worried about heat consider lowering your power limits, if you lower it down to like 60% your temps will be great without lowering performance too much and you might even find it tolerable to do while at home.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

My 1080 buttmining while undervolted is basically is paying for my lunch 4~5 times a week, depending what I have. Hey, free lunch, can't really complain.

I switched to the new nicehash that has dual mining enbaled for nvidia cards, but since i use command lines to limit usage (basically I don't let my GPU get above 95% usage), it must not be as profitable as others (blake2k's, lbry) because I almost never see my miner on it.

I've got dcri at 150. Tried 92 but that ended up worse for dual mining. Not really bothered to try closing the gap between those two numbers to find best hashing efficiency, so 150 it is, which is the recommended value for 1080tis.

What settings do you use for limiting?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

1gnoirents posted:

I found in my area (dallas) best buy of all places had considerable stock of 560s 570s 580s and 1060's 1070's (and 1080s and so on) at non-inflated prices... for the time being. I picked up a non reference PNY 1070 for exactly what it cost a few weeks ago there ($420). Not good, but not retarded either.

They were holding all the 580's and 1070's in the back now but the shelf spot is tagged to say that.

Best Buy with affordable computer parts? Truly these are the end times.

The first time I bought a SSD I didn't think about checking retail vs bare, and of course it showed up bare, no SATA cable. This was my first SSD and I really wanted to get it installed, so I went to Best Buy and after the salesman looked for 20 minutes (literally) he finally located one on a top shelf somewhere. Twenty-four dollars. I was actually offended by that, I left and found another computer repair shop nearby that sold me one out of their parts bin for like $10. Easy payday for the guy (if he didn't own the store I doubt that one made the cash register, either way he made a 400% profit on a $2 cable).

(LPT: if you computer a lot, even just for gaming, try to build a basic kit of spare parts to prevent mistakes like this. Spare SATA cables, some thermal paste, common screw sizes, spare video cables, etc. Otherwise it can easily be very expensive to debug a system in realtime, or you wait for parts. Other good additions: micro zip ties, velcro straps, maybe a USB 3.0/UASP SATA dock, 6pin-to-Molex converters/Y adapters, etc.)

All their GPUs are marked up to MSRP too, or even higher - although I guess that's cheap now that miners bought up the entire supply of low-to-mid-range GPUs. There now exists RX 560s and 1050 Tis, then 1080s, nothing in between. :lol:

1gnoirents posted:

edit: I've seen these things in the GPU thread a long time ago, but does anybody know much about these?

http://www.hwtools.net/Adapter/PE4C%20V2.1.html

Looks like... perhaps $80 total for a mPCIe connection. Presumably you can use a powerbrick or just a separate PSU altogether to run the thing. Turns out I have less spare PC parts than I remembered but basically unlimited access to hundreds of laptops so this is very interesting to me

I don't know those specifically, I brought up that I was looking at the EXP GDC Beast v8.0 a while ago in the GPU thread to try and use with my laptop's ExpressCard port. My conclusion at the time was that while the base itself was reasonable (~$30) the whole package (another $30 for the enclosure and $80 for the brick) was too much. Since I have an Expresscard slot I would basically be getting PCIe 1.1x1 speeds, i.e. probably losing at least 25% of my framerate.

If you're curious about gaming performance there are some reviews of the Beast floating around on Youtube/etc. General sentiment: not a speedster but better than using integrated graphics or really old discrete graphics, especially if you are playing DX11/DX12 titles. Maybe worth doing with like a 1060 or RX 480 or something but you definitely will lose some framerate. The good news is you can use GSync/FreeSync, though, easy mod for a laptop with a decent HQ processor.

Mining doesn't really care about bus speed (everyone uses 1.1x1 anyway for stability/max cards per board) so you're fine there. The brick is just a standard Dell laptop brick I think, so if you have access to those then you also can ignore that complaint too.

I think you will use more power for the laptops running 1-2 cards each than an ATX board driving a couple cards using risers, even a moderately old laptop is probably like 35W at the wall, the eGPU unit itself may use some as well. Using tons of individual laptop supplies may be less efficient than a single PSU (these adapters are 80+ gold right :v:). But if your limit is machines to drive it then it might be OK. On the other hand, if you order now then it could be a month+ before they actually arrives given usual slowboat shipping from China.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jun 23, 2017

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

PerrineClostermann posted:

What settings do you use for limiting?

for the ccminers the command line is --intensity = x where x ranges between 18 and 25. Test it out and see what you're happy with. Each algo has a different intensity level.

For the excavator miners I believe it is -ct 1, and for the claymore dual miners it's -li 1 or 2.

In each of the miner's folders there'll be a readme documenting what extra parameters to use to limit intensity of the mining.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

I yanked a 1070 out of my gaming PC and made a sweet mining rig.

Check this baby out!

http://stealthgerbil.com/files/20170622_192959.jpg

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
post your sources please (i hope)

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Rabid Snake posted:

I got free electricity included in my lease. Is it safe to have my two computers mine while I'm at work? I'm afraid of something blowing up and causing a fire while I'm not at my apartment. I'd rather not mine when I'm home because the heat would be annoying.

just don't be these guys

http://www.buttcoinfoundation.org/bitcoin-mining-rigs-fire-and-electical-hazards/
http://www.buttcoinfoundation.org/mining-rigs-2-electric-boogaloo/

eames
May 9, 2009

This will be fun to watch considering miners are already jumping ship to pascal. :munch:

https://www.primeabgb.com/online-price-reviews-india/sapphire-radeon-rx-470-4gd5-mining-graphic-card-11256-35-10g/

e: more here: https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/amd-rx-mining-series-from-sapphire.18783863/

I wonder if these support crossfire? :thunk:

eames fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jun 23, 2017

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

July 30th I'd say DOA

Otakufag
Aug 23, 2004
Apparently people using the modified nicehash at github are getting ip banned because of a typo mistake that makes servers think users are bots when benchmarking.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Otakufag posted:

Apparently people using the modified nicehash at github are getting ip banned because of a typo mistake that makes servers think users are bots when benchmarking.

I'm using the latest release from https://github.com/DillonN/NiceHashMiner/releases but the EWBF benchmark never worked for me anyway so hopefully I'm safe?

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm not going to try out forks until there have been at least a couple days of people reporting they're happy with them, but if someone wants to experiment with it themselves, both the Claymore and EWBF miners support intensity settings and the Claymore one should replace the Daggerhashimoto miner that doesn't support intensity settings. There's probably a value you can find that'll result in no system lag, if no one gets around to it I'll experiment with it in a few days if people are happy with the latest version and figure out how to best get it running in a completely ignorable way in the background.

Mayne
Mar 22, 2008

To crooked eyes truth may wear a wry face.
How do i set up mining two things at once? I've 1 GTX1070 card.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I got a GTX1070 a while ago to replace my GTX970. I put the 970 in my wife's computer so I'm running NiceHash on both machines while we aren't using them. I just started but it looks like the 1070 is way way faster than the 970. Maybe even to the point where the 970 isn't even worth it.

Edit: Okay now they switched to something called Blake2 and the 970 is making more than the 1070. I'm glad I don't have to ever think about this again.

TomR fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jun 23, 2017

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

TomR posted:

I got a GTX1070 a while ago to replace my GTX970. I put the 970 in my wife's computer so I'm running NiceHash on both machines while we aren't using them. I just started but it looks like the 1070 is way way faster than the 970. Maybe even to the point where the 970 isn't even worth it.

Edit: Okay now they switched to something called Blake2 and the 970 is making more than the 1070. I'm glad I don't have to ever think about this again.

The 1070's power efficiency on top of its speed make it way, way better than any 900 series card.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Yeah, now that they've been running a while the 970 is bouncing off 80c and the 1070 is around 65c.

Turd Eater
May 11, 2003

Otakufag posted:

Anyone else having problems connecting to nicehash miner?

I had to turn off some security setting on my ASUS router (called AiProtection). Your router may have something similar.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
OP needs a picture of rigberries.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Otakufag posted:

Yea, from reading through Reddit he changed the default address when benchmarking from Nicehash's to his own so people who did their benchmarks before putting in their own btc address were sometimes getting temp-banned. He's already fixed it, but anyone that filled in their own address before doing anything wouldn't be affected.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Prescription Combs posted:

OP needs a picture of rigberries.

I am more than willing to have an "if you are building one of these you need to reconsider your plan of action" section in the OP.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Four hundred and fifty GBP for an RX 480.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Did I gently caress something up on NiceHash for my coinbase? I've been mining for a day and a half or so but Coinbase still shows 0. I used the "My Wallet" bitcoin address as my Bitcoin Address in NiceHash, is that not the correct one to use?

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Godinster posted:

Did I gently caress something up on NiceHash for my coinbase? I've been mining for a day and a half or so but Coinbase still shows 0. I used the "My Wallet" bitcoin address as my Bitcoin Address in NiceHash, is that not the correct one to use?

Nicehash deposits into your wallet once a week, if you go on the stats page it lists when the payout is.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

😍

eames
May 9, 2009

I hope somebody buys that as pic an avatar for Fruit Chewy. I don't mine bitcoins so I am too poor.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Godinster posted:

MaxxBot posted:

Nicehash deposits into your wallet once a week, if you go on the stats page it lists when the payout is.

You also need to hit minimums before they will send.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
https://new.nicehash.com/help/when-and-how-do-you-get-paid

When and how do you get paid?

Sellers earn bitcoins for every valid share by PPS (Pay Per Share) system.

Payments schedule for sellers:

Once per day for NiceHash wallet unpaid balances, greater than 0.001 BTC.
Once per day for external wallet unpaid balances, greater than 0.1 BTC.
Once per week for external wallet unpaid balances, greater than 0.01 BTC.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Think its possible to set up nicehash to mine to my own pools? I was looking at the files and I think I see where I can just edit the various scripts it would run. I like the idea of nicehash but I want to keep the actual coins that its mining because I feel like in the long run, I would probably make more money then just getting it in BTC. That is also probably wrong since really the only thing that matters is BTC since that is what people use to buy stuff.

Also I left my 1070 running all night and it pretty much sat at 63C at 45% fan speed the whole time. It is a cool running card. I think its probably a bad idea to go out and buy more hardware for this but I think it would be neat if I can mine my way to new hardware or at least the eventual replacement card for when this one melts.

Stealthgerbil fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jun 23, 2017

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If you want to mine your own pools do that with software made for mining, nicehash isnt that

Actual mining tools arent much harder to set up but you run the very real risk of mining an unprofitable coin/pool

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jun 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

craig588 posted:

I'm not going to try out forks until there have been at least a couple days of people reporting they're happy with them, but if someone wants to experiment with it themselves, both the Claymore and EWBF miners support intensity settings and the Claymore one should replace the Daggerhashimoto miner that doesn't support intensity settings. There's probably a value you can find that'll result in no system lag, if no one gets around to it I'll experiment with it in a few days if people are happy with the latest version and figure out how to best get it running in a completely ignorable way in the background.

The intensity setting for claymore is -li x, where 1 is the least lost intensity. I'm using -li 2 to peg GPU usage at a fluctuating 87~93%. -li 1 keeps GPU usage too high for my liking at 96~98%. This proves to be less profitable on my 1080 than lbry or blake2k at 94~95%.

• Locked thread