Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Cool Buff Man posted:

That's just weird

Not weird at all if you consider a dog's priorities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
Fox is gonna be a superstar

https://twitter.com/ESPNNBA/status/877963711511744512

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Wonder if he had those made when Philly was still at No. 3.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

drat those shoes are beautiful

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Gad dang I forgot about how draft night is rookie fashion night. Do we need some kinda combined fashion/draft GDT

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Those shoes are the ugliest poo poo I've ever seen.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
What's Loove

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

It's in France or something

Rasta_Al
Jul 14, 2001

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Fun Shoe

Cool Buff Man posted:

What's Loove

Baby dont hurt me

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

Rasta_Al posted:

Baby dont hurt me

Sorry the correct answer is "got to do with it"

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy
God pls no

https://twitter.com/ChrisMannixYS/status/877969899296931840

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
cool overdrafting an athletic 19 year old with no actual skill.

Metapod posted:

I will NOT believe this

he's perry jones in a little man's body, someone slap the phone away from sam

Bush Did Outer Heaven fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jun 22, 2017

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
I will NOT believe this

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

Bush Did Outer Heaven posted:

cool overdrafting an athletic 19 year old with no actual skill.

Remember Perry Jones lol

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
Someone post the draft thread so I can post this picture already

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Jota posted:

You should do it! I shot my wad researching fringe prospects to post this one

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Rasta_Al posted:

Baby dont hurt me

You had this one chance to spell it babby

Rasta_Al
Jul 14, 2001

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Fun Shoe

Jota posted:

Sorry the correct answer is "got to do with it"

kiimo posted:

You had this one chance to spell it babby

drat... you both right.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

EvanTH posted:

Gad dang I forgot about how draft night is rookie fashion night. Do we need some kinda combined fashion/draft GDT

Just use the existing fashion thread, imo.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Jota posted:

Tweet that at Embiid and see if he retweets it.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Spacebump posted:

Tweet that at Embiid and see if he retweets it.

Done

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Frank is going to be drafted by the thunder and I'm going to be really confused

Exploding Computer
Oct 6, 2006
Fun Shoe

Rock the Vote

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Im unbelievably hyped for Fultz's first foot injury

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Doltos posted:

Im unbelievably hyped for Fultz's first foot injury

In a cruel twist of fate, it'll occur when Embiid steps on his foot accidentally while coming down from a rebound

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

For a Finn whose teenage sport was basketball, seeing Markkanen hopefully drafted within first ten tonight is pretty big. The country has had a decent basketball boom at the national team level the past few years, and pretty certainly the country's biggest NBA prospect ever will just help things.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Lunsku posted:

For a Finn whose teenage sport was basketball, seeing Markkanen hopefully drafted within first ten tonight is pretty big. The country has had a decent basketball boom at the national team level the past few years, and pretty certainly the country's biggest NBA prospect ever will just help things.

Ain't Finland up there among the top-most average-heightiest nations in the world (Scandinavia in general lacking ever so slightly behind the Balkans)? Seems like a nation that should do well to take up basketball and I wish y'all the best.

but STOP PLAYING HANDBALL IT'S A SILLY SPORT!

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Cool Buff Man posted:

Yeah, I just mean I'm pretty sure Magic is going to run everything through him. I absolutely think he'll probably bust or be underwhelming because of his limitations (sorry Rick)

I've become numb.

Kibner posted:

I don't think I would say Lonzo is a better athlete than Rubio. Ricky was actually a good defender overseas against guys that are just as quick and stronger than the guys that constantly get past Ball. Rubio is also actually able to get into the paint with his dribble. Ball had a great 2pt% because most of his shots were assisted since he is a fantastic off-ball cutter and UCLA had at least three other guys who demanded heavy defensive attention at all times. He very rarely got to the rim on his own. He also only had 24 shots out of the pick and roll his entire time at UCLA. That's less than one per game he played.

Ball looks more like a wing that needs others to create for him while he serves as a cutter, outlet, and fulcrum of a passing attack than the ball-dominant, pass-first, good defensive PG that was Rubio.

Thank you, I've just ran out of energy to keep pointing this out to people.

At one point in Simmons latest podcast he goes on for like 20 minutes about how sad he is that the Celtics passed on Ball and that he is driving around fearing a future where he regrets that they didn't pick him (even though he got personally insulting with Josh Jackson earlier for not working out for the Celtics) and hearing the things he thinks about him, I just don't know where people got the ideas they do.

Lunsku posted:

I apologize for what all the people who don't watch college basketball that takes place later than 4:00 PM Pacific Time have done to Markkanen's stock the past two months.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
https://twitter.com/timbontemps/status/877971679657459712

I'll believe it when it's done and I hope it won't mean passing on French Frank but it could definitely be worse

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

EvanTH posted:

Ain't Finland up there among the top-most average-heightiest nations in the world (Scandinavia in general lacking ever so slightly behind the Balkans)? Seems like a nation that should do well to take up basketball and I wish y'all the best.

Finland is not in Scandinavia and Finns don't like it when you call them Scandinavian hth.

Nordic is acceptable.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I'm usually good with geography and I find that shocking.

edit: although I'm the dude who called a guy from Northern Ireland "british" at a bar and he almost punched me soooo

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Well with someone from Northern Ireland you've got a 50/50 shot with that, sounds like you just got unlucky.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

He was from Derry with an extensive association with IRA types.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I made a GDT

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3824611&pagenumber=1#lastpost

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

kiimo posted:

He was from Derry with an extensive association with IRA types.

Yeah, especially from Derry you have to really walk on eggshells.

On the plus side, you used "Derry" and not "LondonDerry" so :cheers:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

kiimo posted:

edit: although I'm the dude who called a guy from Northern Ireland "british" at a bar and he almost punched me soooo

Dont mess with the Norn Iron

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

kiimo posted:

Also, the general rule is:

Scandinavian= Sweden, Denmark, Norway.
Nordic= Sweden, Denmark, Norway + Finland and Iceland.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

EvanTH posted:

Handball isn't really a thing outside the Swedish speaking coast and other areas. Soccer is the most popular team sport just by players, ice hockey unsurprisingly the one with the only real professional league and the most international success (and the one that probably hoovers most athletic talent because there's career to be made there if you have what it takes). I'd argue the national teams punch above their weight in both volleyball and basketball, and those are well suited to the country in the sense that you can play and train both of them anywhere in the country around the year properly, unlike soccer.

The national team had a long drought with Eurobasket either not playing or playing in the lower division from 97 to 09. Then a couple of good showings in the expanded 24 team Eurobasket in 2011 and 2013, so-so in 2015 despite big hopes, and qualified again this year. Made the FIBA Worlds too the first time in 2014.

tanglewood1420 posted:

Finland is not in Scandinavia and Finns don't like it when you call them Scandinavian hth.

Nordic is acceptable.

I don't know anyone sensible who gives a toss really. I know I don't.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

who are the top prospects in this year's nba draft

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Also, the general rule is:

Scandinavian= Sweden, Denmark, Norway.
Nordic= Sweden, Denmark, Norway + Finland and Iceland.

What about Holland

• Locked thread