Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

In the interview they play a clip about the miscarriage from the documentary. I wonder if that was a part of why it's release has been delayed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Scotty Auk on I4H! :woop:

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Scott Aukerman and Matt Besser improvising together, I can imagine it now...

"Alright, everybody get into my office, now!"
"Boss, calm down, you're standing on your desk and swinging your fists at us!"

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Blacklist Table Reads had a surprise announcement that they're ending the podcast, because it's too expensive. It's a shame, I really enjoyed it. Not all the productions were amazing, but all were at least decent to hear performed, and some were really good. Plus they had great interviews with writers and directors around Oscar season.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

JethroMcB posted:

It pretty much is this. Scott isn't the most grounded of improvisers but he's high energy and I'll always love the poo poo he throws out.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

JethroMcB posted:

I've really been enjoying how I4H and Hollywood Handbook have been making a lot of Scotty Auks jokes, especially on I4H making him sound like Rob Schneider's "Makin' Copies" character from SNL.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/mradamscott/status/877935583062085633
https://twitter.com/ScottAukerman/status/877935849643560961

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

JethroMcB posted:

lol

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Chairman Capone posted:

Blacklist Table Reads had a surprise announcement that they're ending the podcast, because it's too expensive. It's a shame, I really enjoyed it. Not all the productions were amazing, but all were at least decent to hear performed, and some were really good. Plus they had great interviews with writers and directors around Oscar season.

Which were the best ones? I always thought it sounded like a neat concept but I never listened

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

JethroMcB posted:

He was on Spontaneanation not too long ago too, so check that out if you want more classic Scotty Aucks improv stylings.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Help Im Alive posted:

Which were the best ones? I always thought it sounded like a neat concept but I never listened

In particular, I liked:

Mr. Malcolm's List
Chrome Noir
Three Months
Angel's Flight
Forever Jiaying, 1937
The Hitch
Blood from a Stone
Selznick's Folly

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
The host on blacklist table reads is the most pompous Hollywood stereotype I've ever heard on a p. Cast so Keven no listen.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Darkman Fanpage posted:

It pretty much is this. Scott isn't the most grounded of improvisers but he's high energy and I'll always love the poo poo he throws out.

Scott's a fine improviser, overall, he just pimps relentlessly on CBB and it gets tiring.

Work Friend Keven posted:

The host on blacklist table reads is the most pompous Hollywood stereotype I've ever heard on a p. Cast so Keven no listen.

Being associated with The Black List kept me from checking it out; I read those every year and the synopsis for every single script that makes the cut sounds like the worst tendencies of a first year screenwriting student given form.

Black List drinking game:
- take a drink every time you see the words "A hitman/assassin" or "A true story"
- take a drink every time the synopsis highlights a locked-room thriller/emphasizes how few characters there are in the script
- take two drinks every time the script is about a famous person
- take three drinks if that famous person is a Hollywood star
- finish your drink, open another one, and finish that one when you come across a second script about the exact same showbiz story/celebrity in the same list. This will happen EVERY YEAR.
- drink everything at hand when you read a synopsis as spectacularly stupid as "A man goes to space to destroy the ship that, upon becoming sentient, killed his wife."

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

JethroMcB posted:

Black List drinking game:
- take a drink every time you see the words "A hitman/assassin" or "A true story"
- take a drink every time the synopsis highlights a locked-room thriller/emphasizes how few characters there are in the script
- take two drinks every time the script is about a famous person
- take three drinks if that famous person is a Hollywood star
- finish your drink, open another one, and finish that one when you come across a second script about the exact same showbiz story/celebrity in the same list. This will happen EVERY YEAR.
- drink everything at hand when you read a synopsis as spectacularly stupid as "A man goes to space to destroy the ship that, upon becoming sentient, killed his wife."

why are you trying to kill me

also the i4h was fuckin hilarious, i was in tears at the 2 job interviewers

Apex Rogers
Jun 12, 2006

disturbingly functional

ElCondemn posted:

He was on Spontaneanation not too long ago too, so check that out if you want more classic Scotty Aucks improv stylings.

I just looked this up, it is episode #109: http://www.earwolf.com/episode/an-abandoned-puppet-theater-w-cbb-tour-reunion/

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
What episodes were the sitcom episodes for I4H? I want to relisten to them.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
On the latest Never Not Funny Kulap briefly speaks pretty openly about being frustrated with Earwolf and Midroll since they sold to Scripps.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Franchescanado posted:

What episodes were the sitcom episodes for I4H? I want to relisten to them.

165 OkStupid
166 Deranged Penguin
168 These Fat Crackers: The Final Battle

(Got broken up by 167 being a live show)

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

JethroMcB posted:

165 OkStupid
166 Deranged Penguin

Thanks bud.

tnimark posted:

On the latest Never Not Funny Kulap briefly speaks pretty openly about being frustrated with Earwolf and Midroll since they sold to Scripps.

Wasn't this Scott's doing, though?

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Scott sold his ownership stake & then midroll (which owns earwolf) was sold to scripps so like at worst he was part of the sale, he's not management. I don't think he really had much to do with things.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

JethroMcB posted:

165 OkStupid
166 Deranged Penguin

Is the Gabrus sketch where he's trying to get a girl to try on a jacket at Jos. A Bank on one of these? I think it might be 166. That's up there in my top 5 I4H scenes of all time.

Edit: It's the same sketch where Besser tells this amazing story about his high school prom, and how he gets way too drunk and basically misses it and gets stood up by his date who makes out with his friend on a pile of coats.

ArtVandelay fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jun 23, 2017

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

ArtVandelay posted:

Is the Gabrus sketch where he's trying to get a girl to try on a jacket at Jos. A Bank on one of these? I think it might be 166. That's up there in my top 5 I4H scenes of all time.

Yeah, 166 has the jacket bed scene you're thinking of

I wish every podcast had an easily searchable database that could at least pinpoint something like "I know that 'prom' and 'jacket' are involved"

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Darkman Fanpage posted:

It was so great. My favorite part is how Scott and Matt seem to exist on a higher plane of busting eachother's balls.

It made me watch Besser Beats The Record on Seeso last night while there was still time. It's horribly produced, some parts are very dumb, but has some very enjoyable, high level bits. Besser's got a much more old school standup vibe.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
On a recent Hollywood Handbook they made fun of the whole sale of the company thing.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

tnimark posted:

Throwing some real shade at Howard Kremer too

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

piratepilates posted:

Throwing some real shade at Howard Kremer too

So she talked poo poo about Scott, Earwolf and Howard? Did she happen to talk about how terrible Seeso is? Or did she leave that bridge unburned?

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Can you give us specifics? I don't have time to listen to Never Not Funny right now.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

She also tries to guess how many beans are in the bean jar with all 55 members of the never not morning zoo crew, it's very exciting.

SousaphoneColossus
Feb 16, 2004

There are a million reasons to ruin things.
she was mostly positive about seeso. I think she said they gave her a lot of creative freedom. Her main complain re: stitcher/earwolf/etc is that they're completely focused on advertising and not building up smaller shows to the level of HDTGM or CBB.

What she said about Howard was that he would never take the initiative and get anything done on his own so she kinda has to always be the one instigating things. It was somewhere between affectionate and resentful.

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL

Work Friend Keven posted:

She also tries to guess how many beans are in the bean jar with all 55 members of the never not morning zoo crew, it's very exciting.

I liked when they burned half an hour listening to each song on [insert name of old album or soundtrack from old movie] trying to guess which one was coming up next

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Not earwolf but I love High and Mighty. I really like Jon Gabrus and him reading the 5 star roasts is great. The fat guy episode was really funny when they roast Wiger.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

soggybagel posted:

Not earwolf but I love High and Mighty. I really like Jon Gabrus and him reading the 5 star roasts is great. The fat guy episode was really funny when they roast Wiger.

Interesting. For the most part I like H&M but some eps are skippable for me. But that's just whatever hits me at the moment. To be honest, I skip over the roast section. It just kinda feels like a speed bump in the episode. Maybe if he did it occasionally, every few episodes it might work but most of the time I just want to get to the meat of the episode.

That said I like Gabrus in general and can listen to almost anything he does. His shows are the only thing tempting me to Howl or Stitcher or whatever it is these days.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I like Gabrus but H&M is too all over the place and unfocused for me. If it was a more directed podcast like a more structured Action Boyz I could get into it, but there's only so many times I can hear about his bowels and rugby stories. I generally don't like podcasts that are just friends sitting loving around and talking about nothing, no matter how funny they are. That's what I do with my friends, I don't need any more of it in my life.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jun 25, 2017

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

feedmyleg posted:

I like Gabrus but H&M is too all over the place and unfocused for me. If it was a more directed podcast like a more structured Action Boyz I could get into it, but there's only so many times I can hear about his bowels and rugby stories. I generally don't like podcasts that are just friends sitting loving around and talking about nothing, no matter how funny they are. That's what I do with my friends, I don't need any more of it in my life.

look at this guy being all high and mighty over here, talking about how he has friends. Guess what, buddy: some of us don't have any friends!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
If you don't have any friends I recommend a little podcast called Hollywood Handbook because I will tell you what I am friends with two sweet boys.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Not every episode hits but yeah the action boyz ones stick out as great. The roasts just kill me. The one where it's like "if you ever wondered what slimer looked like before he became a ghost" and Rodgers and Stanger are dying laughing is so good.

Koholint
Jan 1, 2010

~Neck Angels~
I almost had to pull my car over during the Maybe Monday song in the new Hollywood Handbook

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
I guess I haven't listened to episodes in a bit, but when did Spont change up the suggestions from guest to Twitter?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Just a month or two ago - around the same time Peft retired the Question from our previous guest/"I would direct you to the archives at Howl" bit. Keeping it fresh, in small ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Ugh. You all finally won, definitively. Hollywood Handbook is easily the highlight of my podcast week.