Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

SpacePig posted:

I mean, this is the series that has an option to stop a man from jumping off of a building by throwing him off of the building. I don't know that stuff like that is important once you enter the Fight Zone.

Isn't there one quest, I wanna say in 3, where you're keeping a guy's car safe or something, and if you smash a dude into it, the guy gets horrified and you fail the quest?

Man, am I glad they got rid of failing quests. Nothing's better than saving a man from suicide by throwing him to his death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
Some more shots of the signs at E3. Poppo! :allears:

https://twitter.com/Game_Realms/status/874728380377083904

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
They better have Staminan drinks.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

I'd love, just once, to be able to go to E3 and see cool poo poo like that first-hand and maybe come away with some neat swag before I die. :(

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

bizarre to go from sony having to basically pay sega to release yakuza 5 to this

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

lets hang out posted:

bizarre to go from sony having to basically pay sega to release yakuza 5 to this

Yakuza 0 must have been a surprise hit for Sega for them to do this.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
Have fun, guys! 1-866-YAKUZA6 to leave a message.

https://twitter.com/sacaitlin/status/874777074820669441

https://twitter.com/Zerochan/status/874775338554806272

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Dial 1- 866 - Yakuza6 and kick them manly thoughts. Yakuza's back.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

I hate literally everything about the disco minigame.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

This UFO Catcher in Yakuza 3 is super loving rigged and I sure hope Haruka appreciates that calico kitty cat, because trying to get that for her cost me 5,000 yen.

lagcats
Oct 7, 2014

you know the deal
i want dat game, gimme gimme

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah but 5000 yen is no money.

You can barely walk across town without getting in 3 fights that score you 300k each.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Snak posted:

You can barely walk across town without getting in 3 fights that score you 300k each.

Money wasn't quite as generously doled out in previous games. Upgrades weren't bought with cash, so it was a bit sparser. 5000 wasn't exactly much, but it wasn't nothing.

Also, that's what, 30 tries at the machine?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Snak posted:

Of course, but in the first chapter of Yakuza 3 that is a pretty hefty chunk of your money and you don't even get into fights at that point.

I can see why some people might complain about Yakuza 3's opening being slow, but I'm really liking it so far. :3:

SpacePig posted:

Also, that's what, 30 tries at the machine?
Something like that. The 5,000 yen figure was rounded up a bit as some of the cash I had spent by that point had gone into other stuff, but I definitely spent a lot of time on that stupid crane game. I wasn't about to leave without that kitty cat toy Haruka wanted so much. :colbert:

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jun 16, 2017

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Doc Morbid posted:

This UFO Catcher in Yakuza 3 is super loving rigged and I sure hope Haruka appreciates that calico kitty cat, because trying to get that for her cost me 5,000 yen.

Sega's arcades in Japan have bags for the prizes you get from UFO catchers that say "I got it 'cause I never gave up!" Or something to that effect. Just have to がんばれ through it sometimes.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Somehow I missed the part where you said Yakuza 3. I'm dumb, carry on.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Chapter 4 in Yakuza 3, and building up Haruka's trust now seems to require me being competent at golf. Actual golf, not the kind Kiryu usually plays which involves bashing people's skulls in with a 9-iron.

I'm hopelessly awful at the golf minigame :negative:

edit: I realize this is just a sidequest thing with no bearing on anything aside from some cool rewards, so I could just ignore it if I wanted to but that would make me the worst person in the world (kinda like those who didn't complete Nanako's social link in Persona 4). I hope golf isn't actually required to max out that trust meter, because otherwise I'll be at it for a while.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jun 17, 2017

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Doc Morbid posted:

I can see why some people might complain about Yakuza 3's opening being slow, but I'm really liking it so far. :3:

It's really good and nice.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

Doc Morbid posted:

Chapter 4 in Yakuza 3, and building up Haruka's trust now seems to require me being competent at golf. Actual golf, not the kind Kiryu usually plays which involves bashing people's skulls in with a 9-iron.

edit: I realize this is just a sidequest thing with no bearing on anything aside from some cool rewards, so I could just ignore it if I wanted to but that would make me the worst person in the world (kinda like those who didn't complete Nanako's social link in Persona 4). I hope golf isn't actually required to max out that trust meter, because otherwise I'll be at it for a while.

I wouldn't bother with the Haruka stuff because I think most of the stuff involving it was cut out for the US release.

You do need to golf for the completion list stuff and it was one of the things that made me just stop trying (along with the batting cages, as always)

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.

Doc Morbid posted:

Nanaimo is poo poo. Band girl who looks like she's about 10 is where it's at. /s

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Just beat 0. My only complaint was that the very end felt a little rushed, I'm assuming to get the protagonists in place for Yakuza 1. Actually, Majiama's arc barely works at all because of where I assume they needed him to be for the first game. The whole "I'm too dangerous to know, I must protect you by walking away" is a pretty standard trope, and I guess I like that they referenced it obliquely instead of hitting us over the head with it - but I don't really get why his whole story-line moved him suddenly from "betrayed serious yakuza questioning his ideals" to "weirdo trickster figure" so quickly. Like, if I was predicting Majiama was gonna break bad from Yakuza 0 alone I would have assumed he'd end up like that Omi Alliance cockroach he was working for the whole game - a cynical opportunist instead of a flashy psychopath.

On that note, neither of the character's decisions to go back to their old roles in the Tojo clan make much sense. Majiama got what he wanted, more or less, but you'd think after the poo poo his boss put him through he'd rather walk away than play the good company man. Especially that poo poo where his boss (Shintaro?) basically put the hit on Makoto knowing Majiama would protect her. Was he just impressed with his boss' cunning? Resigned to his role? As for Kiryu, the whole thing is also a little confusing. The title card epilogue make it sound like Kawaza (sp? Kiryu's "foster father," who is in prison for the whole game) joins the main Dojima family, which remands under Kawaza's control for the next couple of years. But Nishiki seems to think Kawaza has his own family? Or a sub-family within the Dojima family? The whole thing is a little confusing. Also on Kawaza's motivation: If he was the main power base of the Dojima family, and the Dojima family was powerful enough that everyone expected them to take over the Tojo clan... why did he install Sera as new leader of the Tojo clan and not himself? Seemed the dude had enough foresight to grab the empty lot, clean up the Dojimas, and ascend to third chairman the second he got out of prison.

Anyway, overall a super fun game. I'm probably gonna go back running around as Majima because I need those sweet sweet CPs to unlock both character's ultimate styles and get stupidly powerful

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Remember when we hoped against hope for Yakuza games to come out here? Remember when we BARELY got Yakuza 3, and even then it was a trimmed-down version?

We've come so far. :)

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

For people like me that prefer physical games, Yakuza 0 is $46 on Amazon right now.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Jamesman posted:

Remember when we hoped against hope for Yakuza games to come out here? Remember when we BARELY got Yakuza 3, and even then it was a trimmed-down version?

everyone, across all the world, wants to have crime antics. Sega now knows this.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
I think a key difference now is that seem Sega is actually letting folks know that they're releasing these games, rather than just hoping that they'll find them through some sort of divine providence.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

Jamesman posted:

And when Dead Souls was possibly the last one we would get :gonk:

e: Coming up on the end of 3, and man I don't know how these kids aren't in a catatonic state after all the crap they went through/seen

KingShiro fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jun 19, 2017

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Just got to my favorite line in the series and I'd like it to be added to the thread title.

"Get Comfortable, it's a little complicated."

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s01300YsPTY

15 minutes of Yakuza 6 gameplay in English. Enjoy!

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

https://youtu.be/RPC4R0dIQ6A

Someone has made a series of compilations of a lot of (All of?) the Majima Everywhere fights

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Policenaut posted:

Holy poo poo Kiryu actually moves like he is in a video game from the 21st century this is awesome

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
there's an app that lets you know where to go to beat up thugs named "troublr"?

that's the most Yakuza thing conceivable

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Policenaut posted:

Oh my god, no loading screens when walking into businesses and fights happening INSTANTLY. I can't wait for this to come out. I'm so glad this series has caught on in the West.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Policenaut posted:

you can respond to texts with random emojis now lol

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Gamespot interview with Nagoshi https://www.gamespot.com/articles/yakuza-creator-talks-007-inspirations-wacky-humor-/1100-6451146/

Not a whole lot in there but

quote:

Can we expect a Yakuza Kiwami-like remake for Yakuza 2 someday? Or better yet, could we maybe expect Yakuza 2-5 on PS4 or PC?

Unfortunately, I can't really comment on that at this time, but I do understand and am aware that there are a lot of people asking about that.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Got my copy of Kenzan to play through after I finish up 4 (and to delay playing Dead Souls)

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

KingShiro posted:

(and to delay playing Dead Souls)

Good choice

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I found Dead Souls in a bargain bin. Is there any reason to stop my Wild Hunt replay?

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
No.. Dead Souls is pretty "meh". The controls, camera, and overall performance make it hard to replay. I'm going through the games I have again waiting for Kiwami.

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I found Dead Souls in a bargain bin. Is there any reason to stop my Wild Hunt replay?

No, because Wild Hunt is actually good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
I enjoyed Dead Souls personally. If I ever figure out and find the time to do the LP thing, it's on my list.

I'm unusual!